FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   my tea turned blue !!! (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/146820-my-tea-turned-blue.html)

piya 18-01-2008 03:27 PM

my tea turned blue !!!

have been drinking a ?cooked pu-erh... chun ming tuo with blue lettering on
the wrapper....

after brewing, and drinking, the leftover tea turns a blue colour after some
hours...

when drunk, the stuff looks and tastes fine...

why ???? (should I continue to drink it ??)

thanks, Andrew

Alan 21-01-2008 08:16 PM

my tea turned blue !!!

Since no one has responded with an intelligent answer, I'll hazard a
guess...

Perhaps your water is basic (high pH) rather than acidic (low pH). I'm
wondering whether this is the same reaction you see in cooked red/
purple cabbage, which can turn blue if the pH is too high (vinegar is
often added to keep the red color).

Just a SWAG,

Alan

toci 21-01-2008 08:59 PM

my tea turned blue !!!

On Jan 18, 8:27*am, "piya" > wrote:
> have been drinking a ?cooked pu-erh... chun ming tuo with blue lettering on
> the wrapper....
>
> after brewing, and drinking, the leftover tea turns a blue colour after some
> hours...
>
> when drunk, the stuff looks and tastes fine...
>
> why ???? (should I continue to drink it ??)
>
> thanks, Andrew

Go ahead and drink it, but I suggest you try it when sober. Toci

beecrofter[_2_] 22-01-2008 01:34 AM

my tea turned blue !!!

On Jan 21, 2:16*pm, Alan > wrote:
> Since no one has responded with an intelligent answer, I'll hazard a
> guess...
>
> Perhaps your water is basic (high pH) rather than acidic (low pH). I'm
> wondering whether this is the same reaction you see in cooked red/
> purple cabbage, which can turn blue if the pH is too high (vinegar is
> often added to keep the red color).
>
> Just a SWAG,
>
> Alan
>

> piya wrote:
> > have been drinking a ?cooked pu-erh... chun ming tuo with blue lettering on
> > the wrapper....

> > after brewing, and drinking, the leftover tea turns a blue colour after some
> > hours...

> > when drunk, the stuff looks and tastes fine...

> > why ???? (should I continue to drink it ??)

> > thanks, Andrew- Hide quoted text -

His water might be full of iron, makes blue black colors with tannins

Ozzy 22-01-2008 04:14 AM

my tea turned blue !!!

"piya" > wrote in
:

> have been drinking a ?cooked pu-erh... chun ming tuo with blue
> lettering on the wrapper....
>
> after brewing, and drinking, the leftover tea turns a blue colour
> after some hours...
>
> when drunk, the stuff looks and tastes fine...
>
> why ???? (should I continue to drink it ??)
>
> thanks, Andrew

The questions about PH could be answered by making the tea in distilled
water, if it's worth the trouble. Me, I think I would apply the motto,
"What you don't know may hurt you a whole lot" to the sitation, and throw
the tuo out -- it's only 100g of tea. You don't know what's causing the
blue tinge. Why should it only emerge after several hours if it's due to
the lettering? Dunno, but I wouldn't mess with it.

Ozzy

piya 23-01-2008 02:17 AM

my tea turned blue !!!

hey, thanks for the replies... !!

yes, my water, unfiltered has a pH of 8... however, the water, once
filtered, which is how I make the tea, has a pH of 7... so alkaline water
wouldn't seem to be an issue..

iron I am not sure about... again, I use a filter, which may or may not
affect iron levels... but sounds plausible.. (if this is the case, I need to
worry about the water, not the tea !!)

Toci - it looks a bit blue sober or drunk !! - actually, probably looks
more blue sober - drunk I wouldn't care..!! (it's a blue tinge, not a pure
blue)

Cheers, thanks, Andrew

(drinking a riesling atm)

4.196...