Old 04-10-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Need a reputable online tea source

I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:14 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 3, 11:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

I've ordered from adagio, uptontea.com, specialteas.com and
inpursuitoftea.com. I really liked adagio's oolongs. Both upton
and special teas have very decent inexpensive teas like assams,
keemuns, etc, but they also have more expensive teas as well.
Upton in particular has several hundred types of tea to offer, so it
can be a little intimidating when you're trying to pick something,
but there are reviews and you can get samples.. Lately I've been
buying from inpursuitoftea.com and the teas are amazingly good,
especially golden yunnan and yinzhen silver needles, both are
beyond description, but both are expensive. These are the more
expensive teas I've bought so far so it may be that similar offerings
from other stores are as good or better, but I can at least guarantee
that these are top notch. You can search this group and there
were many discussions about this.. In particular there is an
imperial tea court that's well regarded and they offer samples, too,
unlike inpursuitoftea. I've been eyeing puerhshop.com lately because
I want some puerhs but haven't got anything there yet.

HTH..

Old 04-10-2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 3, 8:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

HouDe is my favorite domestically as far as quality goes. Other faves:
Teaspring, Jing's Tea Shop and Yunnan Sourcing and Dragon Teahouse
(both on eBay).
Shen

Old 04-10-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 3, 10:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

I've stayed with Upton for awhile, and most of the tea I order is
organic. I've had a problem with my local shop also, and I have three
Japanese greens from there, but I think they're all stale. They kept
them in glass jars and scooped from the middle of the pot. Upton's
teas have always seemed fresh., and come in air tight envelopes.
Toci

Old 04-10-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 4, 12:31 am, Shen wrote:
HouDe is my favorite domestically as far as quality goes. Other faves:
Teaspring, Jing's Tea Shop and Yunnan Sourcing and Dragon Teahouse
(both on eBay).
Shen

I'm basically right with Shen there, although I've never used Dragon
Teahouse. Teaspring is in my opinion a mid to high grade vendor and
the prices are perfectly in line. HouDe and Jing are certainly very
high quality and again the prices are in line. Yunnan Sourcing is good
for a few specific items and not much more in my book, but for some
they would be fine all around.

Adagio is off my list completely. Upton's is still around my radar
occasionally and for some of their lower priced offerings. O-cha and
Hibiki-an for some Japanese greens since I'm not totally with Chinese
greens yet. Beyond that I sometimes buy tea from a local shop who as
in your case doesn't have the high turnover, but is fairly priced and
never poor quality or stale.

- Dominic

At the risk of being a SpaceCowboy now for a totally unrelated
aside. I brewed some Kona coffee in my Gaiwan today and it worked
perfectly. It was just one of those moments when I wanted a cup of
coffee but we have no office coffee pots and refuse to buy the garbage
from Starbucks.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 4, 9:14 am, wrote:
[...]

Try out www.buytea.com
Its a genuine site offering Black (CTC, ORTHODOX) , Green, White, 100%
Darjeeling, 100% Organic (Darjeeling, Darjeeling Green & Assam CTC),
is ISO 9001-2000, HACCP and NOP - NPOP - USDA certified.
Regards.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 4, 11:04 am, "Dominic T." wrote:
On Oct 4, 12:31 am, Shen wrote:

[...]

I was homeroasting for a while a few years ago using a popcorn maker
with a crank handle. Recently I bought a new supply of green beans
and an electric popcorn maker for roasting. It's a million times
easier
and I always make freshly roasted/ground coffee now. Can't recommend
it enough. Coffee is not nearly as good as the best teas but it works
better with milk and is an interesting diversion sometimes. I use a
plastic cup filter holder, put it above a carafe and pour water over
it.
It's a decent way to make coffee.. a french press is a step up and
a vacuum maker is perhaps the best way to make coffee..

Old 04-10-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I like finding websites not mentioned here for rare Chinese teas in
the sense nobody else seems to carry them. If the vendor can send me
the Chinese characters for the tea name and takes PayPal I'll take a
chance. I'm not a repeat customer. There are plenty of teas on sites
mentioned here I've also never ordered. I still enjoy the hunt like
my 'forever young' from SF Chinatown. It's the teas you don't know
much about that taste the best. Pedigree is preferable but not a
prerequisite in my case. I've also noticed if one vendor is charging
that much more than another its not worth it. There are many
intangibles like it may be a year old, but last year was better. My
final advice if you can't speak to the owner don't even bother.

Jim

Old 04-10-2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi to all,
I have bought tea online from all the afore mentioned as well. Also
depends on whats your cuppa...
Shanshui teas have very nice very quality teas, limited but a little
bit expensive.. really good.
Grand tea has some wonderful offerings seasonally as well as a web
page, Yunnan sourcing seems to be well liked by most and me too,
Tea Source fast good quality,
Tea Embassy also fast and good quality,
Holy mountain anything you may want
and my very first chinese tea vendor..Kam at fun alliance with every
tea pot you could ever want (china style).
Of course Jings, high quality,
and teaspring ofen recommended.
I bought some very nice oolong from teafromtaiwan,
And who doesnt love hou de...
Jenn

Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Wow. I've never heard of some of these. Gotta go check them out. I'ld
like to add a couple of sites, though their tea quality is only ...
average. And, these are some VERY commercial sites to boot. But they
do have some interesting offerings. The one that introduced me to the
widest variety of teas in the beginning of my tea explorations was
www.republicoftea.com. Later I found teavana.com, tazo.com, and
infusion.com. In fact, I have local Infusion and Teavana stores (they
also have brick-and-mortar) where I stop in to smell teas and try pots
of new (to me) varieties, and occasionally purchase from them. Also,
some Republic of Tea cannisters can be found at Books-a-Million,
Borders, and Barnes and Noble (though selection is now usually limited
to flavored teas, rooibos, and herbals mostly in bags).

I also visit a local Asian quarter (Little Saigon) in Orlando. There
are several Asian grocers, but many of these teas are, well, cheap
with strange flavor additions. Beyond the ginger, jasmine, and ginsing
stuff.

www.cafepress.com/teashirtz

Old 04-10-2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Tea Sunrise

I can see you are spoilt for choice here...

If you are interested to see which tea site attracts the most
visitors, check out the link below...

Alexa has ranked the tea sites by traffic.

http://www.alexa.com/browse/general/...tBy=Popularity

Guess which are the top 3 tea sites?

Popularity is no guarantee of quality!

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea

Old 04-10-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'll put in a plug for Sevencups.com. I've never bought from them mail-
order since they're in town, and I haven't spent much time comparing
prices, but I trust the owners and staff and that goes a long way for
me. That is, I believe I'm getting what they say I'm getting.

Shout out to Yunnan Sourcing on ebay!

Alan

Old 04-10-2007, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

well you got to start somewhere, and tea bag - crap looseleaf tea --
better looseleaf tea -- the really good sh... stuff
if you dont know how crap tastes... how do you know you have a good
tea?

Old 04-10-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Two good vendors that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Theteatable.com - They sell by the ounce at reasonable prices and with
every order, they will give up up to five free samples (or a very
nominal charge for the pricey teas- like white).

Enjoyingtea - Excellent prices, even though they don't sell anything
less than 4 oz. They send them in air-tight, opague resealable bags.
They also send various gift with certain purchases.

And while I haven't ordered from them, yet, I've heard wonderful
things about dragonwater, too. The tea shop I goes to likes and uses
them often. I plan to order a bunch when I get the chance.

Why are some people hating on Adagio? I was pretty impressed with
their service and products.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 4, 5:26 pm, " wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't say hate, just that Adagio is simply outclassed and
outperformed by many of the sites listed in this thread. They are a
mid-grade vendor with prices that are mid to high. It's not a reason
to hate them, and in some instances and niches they are viable, but
just not for me and the tea and accessories I buy. I have also had
down-right terrible teas and tisanes from them, so that combination
means I can (and do) better elsewhere. That's all.

Also, just an FYI, Alexa rankings are basically useless outside of the
SEO crowd/fad. A high Alexa rating is probably the best way to *rule
out* serious tea vendors. Real tea is not what the average (non-
teabag) person is seeking and buying online. They range from the
cureall/health nut tea believers, to the trendy types who believe
expensive and fancy websites equals "the best" tea... but not so much
the true enthusiast. You'll never see Yunnan Sourcing, Houde, Jing,
etc. on Alexa...

- Dominic
http://teasphere.wordpress.com