Old 06-10-2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Need a reputable online tea source

On Oct 6, 2:30 am, SN wrote:
On Oct 5, 2:22 pm, juliantai wrote:

Adagio...
Having said that, they have lots of HAPPY customers, so who am I to
comment?

Starbucks has lots of happy, loyal, customers

There are not many people who know thier teas well. Maybe only 1 out
of 100 knows tea well. To them a green tea is a tea. Do you think
they know what is long jing and bi luo chun? So maybe that's explain
why adagio is such a winner! their teas would be extremely good for
the rest of 99 people! Me too bought a few times from them in the
early days!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 6, 9:43 am, Jazzy wrote:
On Oct 6, 2:30 am, SN wrote:

On Oct 5, 2:22 pm, juliantai wrote:

Adagio...
Having said that, they have lots of HAPPY customers, so who am I to
comment?

Starbucks has lots of happy, loyal, customers

There are not many people who know thier teas well. Maybe only 1 out
of 100 knows tea well. To them a green tea is a tea. Do you think
they know what is long jing and bi luo chun? So maybe that's explain
why adagio is such a winner! their teas would be extremely good for
the rest of 99 people! Me too bought a few times from them in the
early days!

Hi, just joined this group. Interesting posts.

My wife and I used to order from Adagio until last spring, when
friends of friends opened up an online store (divineteaonline.com) in
Canada (sorry about the promo bit...). About 75 teas, and they ship
everywhere. Prices are great, and selection is ok. We've had not so
great experiences with Camelia-Sinensis in the past (no service,
questionable freshness).

That's my 2c (US or Canadian, doesn't make a difference anymore !!!!),

Gabe

Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alan" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'll put in a plug for Sevencups.com.

Their pu-erh is good, but their shipping outside the USA is a killer in
cost. Its the thing which stops me going back for more.

Kat

Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 6, 12:48 am, wrote:
On Oct 5, 6:24 pm, juliantai wrote:

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

On Oct 5, 2:22 pm, juliantai wrote:

Hey Guys

My first online tea order was Adagio. And it was my last

So I am not really in a place to recommend.

Coming back to Adagio...

All their teas were rated 4 or 5. My mind goes haywired when I see
that all those feedback count for nothing.

At least to me....

Having said that, they have lots of HAPPY customers, so who am I to
comment?

But what really impress me is their Alexa ranking. They rank 102,000,
that is extraordinary.

You are talking about 1000 to 10000 visits a day, with hundreds or
even thousands of orders daily.

How did they achieve that?

Even Upton, probably the largest vendor, only ranks 900,000.

Sevencups ranks 450,000, and 7th on the Alexa list.

Looking at their descriptions, prices and info, I can see they
outclass the like of Teaspring and Jing in term of quality.

Some of their teas may seem pricey, but it is a reflection of the
wholesale prices in China.

I have a few tea garden contacts in China.

When I read the descriptions, I can guess where they get the tea from,
how authentic it is, and whether they are telling the truth.

I am sure may othe vendors you have suggested are equally worth
considering.

Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

My take on adagio is that I really liked their oolongs, much more than
any other oolongs that I had anywhere else even at higher prices. But
that's probably because I always ended up with green type of oolongs
from other places, and I just don't like those. Their canisters are
neat, but I think in fact you might be better off with resealable bags
because you can flush all the air out, but it's nice that you can
reuse those canisters for longer term storage. But I don't like the
way they call teas "adagio oolong 8", etc, because I have no idea how
to compare them to teas from other sources. What if I want to find a
similar oolong at Upton's? or at IPOT? I doubt Adagio grew that tea so
it'd make more sense to tell me what province, what area, the type of
preparation, and so forth. Other than oolongs, their black teas were
about comparable to specialteas and upton's blacks priced at that
level. I liked their site, too. I think they have some nice teaware,
but I haven't looked at it for a while.

Andrei

It will be quite tricky for Adagio to provide detailed info as the
other higher end vendors.

Their business is in the brand. With the amount of tea they are
selling, their challenge is to keep the consistency of quality
expected of their brand.

In any case, their customers don't really want to know that actually
their longjing tea is from Sichuan province or their Wuyi oolong is
not from Wuyi mountain at all.

It is a bit like Mcdonald. They don't necessary make the best burger,
but people still go to them because they know how to make a burger
that people would buy.

I think they realise this right from the start. That's why they are so
successful.

Sometimes I wonder if they might launch a high end tea site one day.
Given their customer database and marketing network, it will be a very
powerful force.

Although selling higher end teas require a wholly different approach.

Just my random ramblings. Please feel free to disagree with my
comments.

Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

I was surprised that they sell a lot. I thought upton and specialteas
are the biggest stores. For some odd reason I thought adagio are
really small. I thought it very odd that they tie up teas with musical
terms, and a little off-putting and gimmicky. When I listen to philip
glass I don't go "that sounds just like the honey dew oolong I had the
other day". I also thought they're impractical with expensive jars
instead of cheap but useful plastic bags. World: 1, my intution: 0.
I've never seen them sold or advertised anywhere, either. Selection
isn't nearly as big as Upton. Their site navigation with colorful cups
looks informal and not overly polished, but in a good way. They push a
silly plastic tea pot on the front page. Plastic tea pot??! Did the
world run out of glass AND sand? The funny thing is that when I
ordered from them I'd always feel good and nice because I felt I was
supporting the little vendor. Strange but true.

Andrei

Adagio and O-Cha, the two most visited tea sites have extensive
affiliates. Just go to google and type in "tea affiliates" and you
will find all those vendor offering commission term for referring
visitors.

It ranges from 10% to 20%. Adagio offers less, probably because they
are better at converting visitors to sales.

I was looking into it at once, but I can't really bring myself to
recommend their teas. I will simply be lying to myself.

I think they do have the mass appeal.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I just saw that. In 92 the CD was 62c now it is level with the green
back. Plus you get Universal Health Coverage. All I get from my HMO
is take an aspirin and make an appointment in two weeks.

Jim

Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

[...]

Julian,
No offense; but, I really don't get this line of thinking.
We are known, here in America, for expecting and accepting mediocrity.
That be, what difference do these statistics make.
Good is good. Whether it be a teeny vendor in "west podonk" or a huge
dealer in New York.
Some of the finest, most careful, vendors I deal with have little
blogs that offer really wonderful tea (Teamasters, Stephane, for
example).
And, here we go again: I tend to be a god-awful, fussy, arrogant tea
snob and I really, really research and taste what I purchase, whether
it be a Chinatown bargain or "jeez that's nearly a month's rent pu-
erh".
It's all subjective.
Perhaps, we should move onto a more specific question: what tea,
exactly and what picking does this poster have in mind? Are you
talking about customer service in terms of qaulity of product or
shipping?
Like most tee guzzlers here, I go to certain vendors for certain teas.
I know what to expect in terms of price and shipping.
And, geez, I've always been a little leery of heading off to a place
with BIG numbers. Can't even bear to think of buying a KRAFT cheese or
a General Mills breakfast cereal.

Shen

Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

[...]

Thank you for asking this thoughtful question.

In the world that we are living now, sometimes we are too obsessed
about ourselves - what we like, what we recommend and what we think.

Don't get me wrong, I love your recommendations. I would love to try
out Houde and their wonderful selection one day, hopefully in not too
distant future.

Sometimes I just feel it is more refreshing to "switch" myself in the
background and see what other people are doing instead.

I love humanity. I really do. We live in the world of democracy. Truth
always present itself as paradox. The mass is always wrong. But it is
also least likely to be wrong.

Okay, let's see what we glimpse what these big numbers statistics.

Sometimes understanding how people behave can shed incredible light
into ourselves...

Why is Adagio so successful? I think it is due to their simple
products, deep and wide marketing network, great customer service,
great customers loyalty (which results in so many positive ratings)
and fantastic bundling.

That is how I ended up buying from them anyway ...

Why is Sevencups the highest ranking Chinese tea vendor? I think it is
because of the owners passion, deep sourcing network and and rich tea
informatioin.

But buying behaviour is a strange thing. Tea is not the only thing we
buy.

I recently bought two oolong teas from the Teamaster blog. Not
necessarily because I think he has the best tea. It is because I like
him. I feel like I owe him a lunch having followed his blogs for a
while.

And yes, I totally agree with your proposal that there is a tea for
everyone and making "blanket" recommedation simply doesn't work.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

[...]

Another simple thought he why is Adagio successful?
Well, when you do a search for online tea vendors or checkout a
"yellow pages" ad, the word "Adagio" begins with "A" - right near the
top.
To be honest, any teas I've had from them are "good enough". The older
I get, "good enough" isn't.
Shen

Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 3, 8:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

I guess I'm very Tea challenged... I get my loose leaf tea in a tin
at www.coffebean.com and really enjoy it. You can buy online... I
enjoy the English Breakfast... with milk even
chilichick

Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

[...]

Good observation.

I talk about Adagio, but I was so bitterly disappointed the last time
I ordered from them that I stopped online buying tea altogether.

Since I know my site partner, I get my teas mostly directly from tea
gardens in China. It just turned out to be even richer tea info, lower
cost and much much higher quality. The downside is it is extremely
time consuming, but very fascinating to talk and learn from them.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hello, Thanks to everyone who is contributing and reading this
thread. I've gotten some wonderful input as well as some good online
merchants that I look forward to patronizing.

My experience with Adagio is quite limited, but it's one of the first
tea websites I was intrigued by. My girlfriend had purchased a gift
package which included a few herbals and the infamous Ingenuitea.
Let me tell you, I love this thing to death. I especially like
watching the leaves in their natural state, and how the gadget infuses
tea. To me, it's pretty cool. The Adagio website is also a nice
source of information. I like reading the tea reviews and the tea
chat forum. To a beginner like me, Adagio seemed a top online tea
merchant.

Then I discovered this forum and realized that I didn't know much at
all. There is so much to learn about tea, including where to purchase
your tea. I still enjoy visiting Adagio for their forum and reviews,
but thanks to everyone's input on this forum, I've learned that you
can always learn more about tea, including where to purchase it.

Old 14-10-2007, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Tea Sunrise wrote:
However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

What kinds of tea do you want?

For the most part, I have liked the folks at Upton's, but there are plenty
of other choices out there. Upton's does enough volume, though, that I have
never had a problem getting anything stale from them.
--scott
Old 10-10-2017, 01:46 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Thursday, October 4, 2007 at 9:22:48 AM UTC+5:30, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

Hi,
You can get premium quality tea online at a very affordable rate at Halmari tea. Their teas are sourced directly from the tea estates of Assam, India so you can be sure there will be no compromise in the quality. Halmari is in the business for more than 100 years, making them a reputed brand that you can trust.
You can shop their products here - https://www.halmaritea.co.uk/teas/