Old 05-10-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Need a reputable online tea source

On Oct 3, 11:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

I order lots of tea online - I find that local places frequently don't
have the freshest tea.

My favorites and mo
Ito-En - good size but not huge selection of high quality teas of all
types, not cheap but always good quality. It is always fun to visit
their store in NYC too.
www.itoen.com\leaf\

Well known, supposed to be very good, some teas very expensive
though. I haven't tried them
Imperial Tea Court (San Francisco based)

ShanShui - good Japanese and Taiwan green teas

Hou De - very good oolongs and sheng (green/raw) pu-erh

TeaMasters - based in Taiwan so good oolongs

Upton - huge selection, all price ranges. I find that while some of
their Chinese greens are very good, they have many just ok teas (but
reasonably priced). Can't beat their selection and quality/price
ratio. Only once out of at least 30 teas did I get one that I thought
was a bit old.

In Pursuit of Tea - looks interesting but haven't tried it.

Jing Tea - this is based in the UK and is different from Jing Tea Shop
in China. www.jingtea.com
They have good organic greens and their teas meet EU standards which
are more stringent in terms of allowable pesticide residues than US
requirements. Just received an order from there but haven't tried it
yet.

Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:21 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 4, 8:52 am, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

www.teasource.com , www.tsalon.com , www.teasetc.com are some vendors
of the best quality teas.

ankit

Old 05-10-2007, 08:46 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 4, 4:52 am, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online.

Might I suggest Nothing But Tea Ltd in the UK
www.nbtea.co.uk
I must declare an interest - which I do with pride - as it is my
daughter's site. However, it has some interesting and unsusual teas
(all loose, all orthodox) some of which I have had a technical
involvement with the development of - and at last count it had more
than 150 Camellia teas and herbals from 19 different countries/
regions. Nothing But Tea sells globally and is FDA registered (in
fact the USA is our third biggest market). Worthy of a try.

Nigel at Teacraft

Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Is there a particular vendor that you feel is comparable to Adagio but
with better prices? One thing about Adagio that I like is that they
get their teas directly from the region. While there are other
websites that do this, they charge a LOT more (like Rishi Teas).

And with the exception of Adagio, I agree with the comment about the
top-ranking tea websites on Alexa. There are a lot of websites that
unfortunately people have to find word of mouth. A lot of those
popular vendors have a lot of presence in the marketplace and on
grocery store shelves; something these internet-only places can't get.

Just like real coffee drinkers probably don't buy coffee at Starbucks.
Heck, I try to avoid that whenever I can. Unfortunately, as they are
buying up more places, this is becoming increasingly more difficult.

On Oct 4, 7:30 pm, "Dominic T." wrote:
On Oct 4, 5:26 pm, " wrote:

Two good vendors that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Theteatable.com - They sell by the ounce at reasonable prices and with
every order, they will give up up to five free samples (or a very
nominal charge for the pricey teas- like white).

Enjoyingtea - Excellent prices, even though they don't sell anything
less than 4 oz. They send them in air-tight, opague resealable bags.
They also send various gift with certain purchases.

And while I haven't ordered from them, yet, I've heard wonderful
things about dragonwater, too. The tea shop I goes to likes and uses
them often. I plan to order a bunch when I get the chance.

Why are some people hating on Adagio? I was pretty impressed with
their service and products.

On Oct 3, 11:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:

I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't say hate, just that Adagio is simply outclassed and
outperformed by many of the sites listed in this thread. They are a
mid-grade vendor with prices that are mid to high. It's not a reason
to hate them, and in some instances and niches they are viable, but
just not for me and the tea and accessories I buy. I have also had
down-right terrible teas and tisanes from them, so that combination
means I can (and do) better elsewhere. That's all.

Also, just an FYI, Alexa rankings are basically useless outside of the
SEO crowd/fad. A high Alexa rating is probably the best way to *rule
out* serious tea vendors. Real tea is not what the average (non-
teabag) person is seeking and buying online. They range from the
cureall/health nut tea believers, to the trendy types who believe
expensive and fancy websites equals "the best" tea... but not so much
the true enthusiast. You'll never see Yunnan Sourcing, Houde, Jing,
etc. on Alexa...

- Dominichttp://teasphere.wordpress.com

Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 4, 1:29 pm, wrote:
Wow. I've never heard of some of these. Gotta go check them out. I'ld
like to add a couple of sites, though their tea quality is only ...
average. And, these are some VERY commercial sites to boot. But they
do have some interesting offerings. The one that introduced me to the
widest variety of teas in the beginning of my tea explorations waswww.republicoftea.com. Later I found teavana.com, tazo.com, and
infusion.com. In fact, I have local Infusion and Teavana stores (they
also have brick-and-mortar) where I stop in to smell teas and try pots
of new (to me) varieties, and occasionally purchase from them. Also,
some Republic of Tea cannisters can be found at Books-a-Million,
Borders, and Barnes and Noble (though selection is now usually limited
to flavored teas, rooibos, and herbals mostly in bags).

I also visit a local Asian quarter (Little Saigon) in Orlando. There
are several Asian grocers, but many of these teas are, well, cheap
with strange flavor additions. Beyond the ginger, jasmine, and ginsing
stuff.

www.cafepress.com/teashirtz

Republic of Tea buys a great deal of their Chinese teas from Imperial
Tea Court, San Francisco (wholesale).
Shen

Old 05-10-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 3, 8:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

I don't want to go into a long discussion here or another "Space
Cowboy" attack - but, I am still very fond of the high quality Indian
teas from Lochan.
Shen

Old 05-10-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 3, 8:52 pm, Tea Sunrise wrote:
I hope I don't turn this thread into advertisement for online tea
websites, but I'm looking to buying my loose leaf teas online. I just
can't trust the tea and herbal shop near me since the turnover of
their bulk teas is not that high. Whole foods market has a pretty
good selection, but I've seen better prices on Amazon.com

However, I've noticed teaspring.com has harvest dates which is great
information to provide in my opinion. I"ve also liked Adagio. Other
attributes like customer satisfaction, online security, and product
consistency are preferable. Thanks for your help.

Also, you may want to try Holy Mountain (good quality, fair prices) or
Imperial Tea Court, in my opinion best quality overall, and
competitive prices for the grade.
Then there's Enjoying Tea - very inexpensive, acceptable quality.
Whole Foods' major supplier for better teas is Silk Roads. The Phoenix
is okay; and they do buy their teas in small batches. Frontier is
their other big supplier (for herbs, as well) and these are generally
old, stale teas since they are sold in big lots and kept in poor
storage.
Shen

Old 05-10-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hey Guys

My first online tea order was Adagio. And it was my last

So I am not really in a place to recommend.

Coming back to Adagio...

All their teas were rated 4 or 5. My mind goes haywired when I see
that all those feedback count for nothing.

At least to me....

Having said that, they have lots of HAPPY customers, so who am I to
comment?

But what really impress me is their Alexa ranking. They rank 102,000,
that is extraordinary.

You are talking about 1000 to 10000 visits a day, with hundreds or
even thousands of orders daily.

How did they achieve that?

Even Upton, probably the largest vendor, only ranks 900,000.

Sevencups ranks 450,000, and 7th on the Alexa list.

Looking at their descriptions, prices and info, I can see they
outclass the like of Teaspring and Jing in term of quality.

Some of their teas may seem pricey, but it is a reflection of the
wholesale prices in China.

I have a few tea garden contacts in China.

When I read the descriptions, I can guess where they get the tea from,
how authentic it is, and whether they are telling the truth.

I am sure may othe vendors you have suggested are equally worth
considering.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

On Oct 5, 2:22 pm, juliantai wrote:
Adagio...

Having said that, they have lots of HAPPY customers, so who am I to
comment?

Starbucks has lots of happy, loyal, customers

Old 05-10-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 12:11 pm, Shen wrote:
[...]

It was Frontier and Phoenix I bought locally, the Frontier first
before the store changed management. I was pleased with the Frontier
Sencha, Assam, and English Breakfast, but feel that the Phoenix Sencha
and two other Japanese greens were stale. A buyer beware situation
for both brands, I guess. Toci

Old 05-10-2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[...]

My take on adagio is that I really liked their oolongs, much more than
any other oolongs that I had anywhere else even at higher prices. But
that's probably because I always ended up with green type of oolongs
from other places, and I just don't like those. Their canisters are
neat, but I think in fact you might be better off with resealable bags
because you can flush all the air out, but it's nice that you can
reuse those canisters for longer term storage. But I don't like the
way they call teas "adagio oolong 8", etc, because I have no idea how
to compare them to teas from other sources. What if I want to find a
similar oolong at Upton's? or at IPOT? I doubt Adagio grew that tea so
it'd make more sense to tell me what province, what area, the type of
preparation, and so forth. Other than oolongs, their black teas were
about comparable to specialteas and upton's blacks priced at that
level. I liked their site, too. I think they have some nice teaware,
but I haven't looked at it for a while.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:
[...]

Andrei

It will be quite tricky for Adagio to provide detailed info as the
other higher end vendors.

Their business is in the brand. With the amount of tea they are
selling, their challenge is to keep the consistency of quality
expected of their brand.

In any case, their customers don't really want to know that actually
their longjing tea is from Sichuan province or their Wuyi oolong is
not from Wuyi mountain at all.

It is a bit like Mcdonald. They don't necessary make the best burger,
but people still go to them because they know how to make a burger
that people would buy.

I think they realise this right from the start. That's why they are so
successful.

Sometimes I wonder if they might launch a high end tea site one day.
Given their customer database and marketing network, it will be a very
powerful force.

Although selling higher end teas require a wholly different approach.

Just my random ramblings. Please feel free to disagree with my
comments.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Upton. Served me well for years.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 6:24 pm, juliantai wrote:
On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

[...]

I was surprised that they sell a lot. I thought upton and specialteas
are the biggest stores. For some odd reason I thought adagio are
really small. I thought it very odd that they tie up teas with musical
terms, and a little off-putting and gimmicky. When I listen to philip
glass I don't go "that sounds just like the honey dew oolong I had the
other day". I also thought they're impractical with expensive jars
instead of cheap but useful plastic bags. World: 1, my intution: 0.
I've never seen them sold or advertised anywhere, either. Selection
isn't nearly as big as Upton. Their site navigation with colorful cups
looks informal and not overly polished, but in a good way. They push a
silly plastic tea pot on the front page. Plastic tea pot??! Did the
world run out of glass AND sand? The funny thing is that when I
ordered from them I'd always feel good and nice because I felt I was
supporting the little vendor. Strange but true.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Oct 5, 9:41 pm, wrote:

[...]

Oh and the pot is $19 whereas you can get ceramic pots for around $14
and really nice glass ones for around $25. This doesn't make any sense
at all to me. I don't understand this planet, I need to move to Mars -
I bet they always use nice red zisha pots.