Posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.food.drink.tea

Default Chewing and Swallowing Green Tea Leaves

George Cherry wrote...
> "Juhana Harju" > wrote in message
>>Have you considered that tea leaves have a very high content of fluoride?

> Perhaps not as much as the tea infusion:
>
> Fluoride Content of tea
>
> Leaf tea
> Fluoride concentration in tea infusion 1.12 (mg/ l )
> Dissolvable fluoride in tea leaf 0.28 (mg/ g)
>
> Bagged tea
> Fluoride concentration in tea infusion 2.08 (mg/ l )
> Dissolvable fluoride in tea leaf 0.52 (mg/ g)
>
> (Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology (2003)
> 13, 66 - 73)
> this is by a team in Taiwan.

That sucks because I am addicted to green tea. I consume at least 4 tea
bags a day (served with fruit juices, honey, and ginseng extract, yum!)
and the thought that it could be unhealthy is terrifying. Is the high
level of fluoride the result of biology or soil contamination?
Posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 22, 8:51 am, dank > wrote:
> George Cherry wrote...
> > "Juhana Harju" > wrote in message
> >>Have you considered that tea leaves have a very high content of fluoride?

> > Perhaps not as much as the tea infusion:

> > Fluoride Content of tea

> > Leaf tea
> > Fluoride concentration in tea infusion 1.12 (mg/ l )
> > Dissolvable fluoride in tea leaf 0.28 (mg/ g)

> > Bagged tea
> > Fluoride concentration in tea infusion 2.08 (mg/ l )
> > Dissolvable fluoride in tea leaf 0.52 (mg/ g)

> > (Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology (2003)
> > 13, 66 - 73)
> > this is by a team in Taiwan.

> That sucks because I am addicted to green tea. I consume at least 4 tea
> bags a day (served with fruit juices, honey, and ginseng extract, yum!)
> and the thought that it could be unhealthy is terrifying. Is the high
> level of fluoride the result of biology or soil contamination?

It's both botany and the characteristics of the soil and often water,
as well.
Shen

Posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.food.drink.tea

>>>Have you considered that tea leaves have a very high content of fluoride?

>> Perhaps not as much as the tea infusion:
>>
>> Fluoride Content of tea
>>
>> Leaf tea
>> Fluoride concentration in tea infusion 1.12 (mg/ l )
>> Dissolvable fluoride in tea leaf 0.28 (mg/ g)
>>
>> Bagged tea
>> Fluoride concentration in tea infusion 2.08 (mg/ l )
>> Dissolvable fluoride in tea leaf 0.52 (mg/ g)
>>
>> (Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology (2003)
>> 13, 66 - 73)
>> this is by a team in Taiwan.

>That sucks because I am addicted to green tea. I consume at least 4 tea
>bags a day (served with fruit juices, honey, and ginseng extract, yum!)
>and the thought that it could be unhealthy is terrifying. Is the high
>level of fluoride the result of biology or soil contamination?

This all assumes that Fluoride in the tiny amounts above pose any
problem at all. read this extensive article about Fluoride from the
pauling institute:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...oride/#content

"The lowest dose that could trigger adverse symptoms is considered to be
5 mg/kg of body weight, with the
lowest potentially fatal dose considered 15 mg/kg of body weight."

Compare to the levels in tea, orders of magnitude are involved here.

Posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.food.drink.tea

dank > wrote:
>That sucks because I am addicted to green tea. I consume at least 4 tea
>bags a day (served with fruit juices, honey, and ginseng extract, yum!)
>and the thought that it could be unhealthy is terrifying. Is the high
>level of fluoride the result of biology or soil contamination?

It's not soil contamination. It's soil. Fluorine salts make up a lot of
different kinds of rocks, and plants pick them up from the soil.

The world is just like that, and it's fine. You'll see similar things with
fruit juices too, along with just about any natural product. If you worry
about this sort of stuff you'll just make yourself sick, so relax and have
a nice cup of tea.

You might, however, want to consider drinking a better grade of green tea
so you don't have to add all that crap to make it palatable, though.
--scott

Chewing and Swallowing Green Tea Leaves George Cherry Tea 33 16-10-2007 11:10 PM
^*^*^ Swallowing Cheese ^*^*^* [email protected] General Cooking 0 03-06-2007 08:46 PM
LB's in chewing gum... Will Sourdough 0 22-08-2006 02:41 AM
All Natural Chewing Gum gleegum.com Marketplace 0 05-08-2005 07:37 AM
Chewing gum? Greg Preserving 4 22-10-2003 05:09 AM