Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tinned Twinings

Getting a little nostalgic at times I purchased some kg of good olī
Twinings recently, their Darjeeling [not bad at all to my simple
taste], Earl Grey [the older, stronger blend, for me with ~50%
highgrown Ceylon mixed in], English Breakfast [...] and a few tins of
their POW blend. The only other blends available where Lady Grey and
their Ceylon, which I donīt care about that much.
All in those beautiful old fashioned tins I like so much. I probably
would have gotten the same amount of "better" quality for my money,
but I heard that they finally discontinued selling their tea in tins
altogether and couldnīt resist. Their teas have been a part of my life
for many years and I feel sorry to see those tins go.
Do you still get tinned Twinings in the U.S.and elsewhere ?
Any other Twinings nostalgics around ?

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 13, 3:20 pm, wrote:

> Do you still get tinned Twinings in the U.S.and elsewhere ?

Karsten,

I haven't bought Twinings in a while (although I always liked their
English Breakfast tea), but the last time I checked here in Arizona,
they were still selling in tins. I'll check next time I'm in the
store. We also have a market (http://market.treasureshidden.com/) that
sells lots of imports; mostly Asian but some British. They have an
entire aisle with nothing but tea! One end is British; I'll check
there for Twinings in tins, too.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

I got a tin of Darjeeling, in a small neighborhood market,
but it was again... too astringent for me to drink plain.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Do you still get tinned Twinings in the U.S.and elsewhere ?
> Any other Twinings nostalgics around ?
>
> Karsten

Down South we only have them in the small boxes. I guess it's our
style because most tea drinkers use tea bags for the purpose of making
sweet-iced tea. heh

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 2:54 am, Alan > wrote:

> We also have a market (http://market.treasureshidden.com/) that
> sells lots of imports; mostly Asian but some British. They have an
> entire aisle with nothing but tea! One end is British; I'll check
> there for Twinings in tins, too.
>
> Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the link.
I checked their website and funnily enough they only had exactly those
same 4 blends I bought over here, even the prices are almost the same.
Maybe those are their bestselling blends. I wonder where all those
other great blends are gone, like their "Irish breakfast" and those
more exotic varieties of yore.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

..
Thought I would put the Twinings website link here for you - they
still do some of the blends that you are after at least according to
their website - and you can find out who their distributers are in any
country in the world from same website.

http://www.twinings.com/range_overview.php

regards

Helga

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 10:24 am, wrote:
> .
> Thought I would put the Twinings website link here for you - they
> still do some of the blends that you are after at least according to
> their website - and you can find out who their distributers are in any
> country in the world from same website.
>
> http://www.twinings.com/range_overview.php
>
> regards
>
> Helga

Thanks a lot Helga. As a fan of tinned goodies Iīve had that page
bookmarked for ? knows how many years, and once in a blue moon went
there to see if they were eventually coming out with some new tins, to
no avail ... sniff.
I guess I have to get some more tins before theyīre all sold out - for
old timesī sake.

Karsten [Twinings Earl Grey/HG Ceylon 40/60 mix in tazza grande]

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

SN > wrote:
>I got a tin of Darjeeling, in a small neighborhood market,
>but it was again... too astringent for me to drink plain.

Twining's darjeeling?
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> wrote:
>On Sep 14, 2:54 am, Alan > wrote:
>
>> We also have a market (http://market.treasureshidden.com/) that
>> sells lots of imports; mostly Asian but some British. They have an
>> entire aisle with nothing but tea! One end is British; I'll check
>> there for Twinings in tins, too.

>I checked their website and funnily enough they only had exactly those
>same 4 blends I bought over here, even the prices are almost the same.
>Maybe those are their bestselling blends. I wonder where all those
>other great blends are gone, like their "Irish breakfast" and those
>more exotic varieties of yore.

What happened is that Twining's closed down their blending plant in
North Carolina a couple years back. All of the Twining's tea you see
in the US now is blended in England. The English tins are a somewhat
different shape and many of the less-popular blends do not seem to be
being imported here.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 14, 3:53 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> > wrote:
> >On Sep 14, 2:54 am, Alan > wrote:

> >> We also have a market (http://market.treasureshidden.com/) that
> >> sells lots of imports; mostly Asian but some British. They have an
> >> entire aisle with nothing but tea! One end is British; I'll check
> >> there for Twinings in tins, too.

> >I checked their website and funnily enough they only had exactly those
> >same 4 blends I bought over here, even the prices are almost the same.
> >Maybe those are their bestselling blends. I wonder where all those
> >other great blends are gone, like their "Irish breakfast" and those
> >more exotic varieties of yore.

> What happened is that Twining's closed down their blending plant in
> North Carolina a couple years back. All of the Twining's tea you see
> in the US now is blended in England. The English tins are a somewhat
> different shape and many of the less-popular blends do not seem to be
> being imported here.
> --scott

Iīve heard of that, but AFAIK those Twinings you could get in Germania
have always come straight from England.

Regarding their standard Darjeeling, neither does it seem to be 100%
DJ, nor is it the fanciest DJ you could imagine, but at least is has
changed very little over many a year. To me the most reliable mittle-
of-the-road DJ blend I know of, despite some unknown parts [Assam/
Doaars ?] still a very DJ like character, finicky in some respect, an
old fashioned highly oxidated black/red broken, AND fairly brrrrisk -
as Mr.Guru would say.
IMHO it could pass as kind of a middle-of -the road touchstone or
starting point for someone who wants to know what all that DJ fuss is
about - hatīs off to the blenders.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2:54 am, Alan > wrote:
>
> > We also have a market (http://market.treasureshidden.com/) that
> > sells lots of imports; mostly Asian but some British. They have an
> > entire aisle with nothing but tea! One end is British; I'll check
> > there for Twinings in tins, too.
> >
> > Alan

> Alan,
>
> Thanks for the link.
> I checked their website and funnily enough they only had exactly those
> same 4 blends I bought over here, even the prices are almost the same.
> Maybe those are their bestselling blends. I wonder where all those
> other great blends are gone, like their "Irish breakfast" and those
> more exotic varieties of yore.
>
> Karsten

(This is my first time posting from a Blackberry, so pls forgive any
typos)

>From what I've seen, the website only shows a subset of the products

they carry in the store I'll check for some of the other Twining's
products next time I'm there. I also want to remind you that named
brand teas are generally blended so the flavor is consistent from year
to year.

Alan

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 15, 3:10 am, Alan > wrote:

> I also want to remind you that named
> brand teas are generally blended so the flavor is consistent from year
> to year.

Alan,
yup, they generally are. Itīs just that Iīm a comitted Darjeeling
slut. I really had my share of ? knows how many different high, med
and low grade DJs over the years, more often than not from "reserved"
invoices, straight from the dryer, from friends in the beezness, my
own hands, ...
I also tried a good number of those off-the-shelve blends, and til now
none of those supermarket blends satisfied my hefty DJ cravings as
much as the violet Twinings. As always YMMV.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Sep 15, 3:10 am, Alan > wrote:
> (This is my first time posting from a Blackberry, so pls forgive any
> typos)
> Alan

Good job so far. Are you posting via google ?
Iīll be posting from my old Treo next week, letīs see how that turns
out.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

wrote:
> On Sep 15, 3:10 am, Alan > wrote:
> > (This is my first time posting from a Blackberry, so pls forgive any
> > typos)
> > Alan

> Good job so far. Are you posting via google ?
> Iīll be posting from my old Treo next week, letīs see how that turns
> out.
>
> Karsten

Yes, posting from Google. I read the newsgroup from several computers;
otherwise, I would use a "real" newsgroup reader.

Alan

Soup from puree or tinned tomatoes johngood_____ General Cooking 32 08-12-2007 10:57 PM
tinned crab meat Siobhan Perricone General Cooking 54 10-04-2006 02:07 AM
spinach losses from being tinned. jw 1111 Vegetarian cooking 6 13-11-2005 03:16 PM
Tinned Strawberries R-D-C Winemaking 10 11-11-2004 09:49 PM
Tinned Tuna and Salmon Beirader General Cooking 3 11-10-2004 01:12 AM