Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Please help identifying this tea

Greetings,

My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
expert in oolongs... - oolong.

Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
thankful.

Here are two pictures of the box:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg

Thanks again,
Gyorgy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 18, 4:30 pm, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> expert in oolongs... - oolong.
>
> Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> thankful.
>
> Here are two pictures of the box:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg
>
> Thanks again,
> Gyorgy

Until an expert comes along, I'd look through the Tie Quan Yins to see
if you can recognize the leaf. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Looks to me like it says Alishan high mountain oolong.

I think if you look that up on the web you'll find more information.

Charles

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Yes indeed, it's Alishan gaoshan wulong, according to the hand-written
label. It's unusual to find a darker, roasted Alishan - they're
usually almost exclusively green (qingxiang), so it's not going to be
easy finding a replacement!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> expert in oolongs... - oolong.
>
> Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> thankful.
>
> Here are two pictures of the box:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong01.jpg
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg
>
> Thanks again,
> Gyorgy

The bottom of the can says "Wu-tie", not "Wu-long". The tea is from a
"Wutie Chayuan" or "Dark Iron Tea Garden", literally. The tea is from
Alishan, or so it says, and the name of the product is "Gaoshan
Wutie". A google search yields this

http://www.o-tea.enew88.net/si001page.htm

Which is in Maokong, very near Taipei. Maokong has a lot of tea farms
where they let you drink their stuff right there. So I guess this is
a brand name of theirs -- I wonder if they roast the tea themselves.
Is your sister in-law's friend in or near Taipei?

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 19, 5:30 am, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> expert in oolongs... - oolong.
>
> Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> thankful.
>
> Here are two pictures of the box:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg
>
> Thanks again,
> Gyorgy

They also have a page for the prices -- the third link on the
navigation bar up top

http://www.o-tea.enew88.net/si003page.htm

Your Gaoshan Wutie costs 1600 NTD, which is about 50 USD.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 19, 8:24 pm, MarshalN > wrote:
> On Aug 19, 5:30 am, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:
>

> > Greetings,

> > My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> > very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> > it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> > could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> > it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> > expert in oolongs... - oolong.

> > Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> > the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> > identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> > preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> > thankful.

> > Here are two pictures of the box:

> >http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...pghttp://i29.p...

> > Thanks again,
> > Gyorgy

> They also have a page for the prices -- the third link on the
> navigation bar up top
>
> http://www.o-tea.enew88.net/si003page.htm
>
> Your Gaoshan Wutie costs 1600 NTD, which is about 50 USD.
>
> MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Reading that web page some more.... it seems like Wutie is some sort
of high oxidation, high roast oolong, basically.

They also have a strange tea.... uses microwave to kill-green and
roast. I don't know what that's going to taste like...

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dear MarshalN,

Thanks a lot - I am deeply impressed that you could track down this tea for
me!

No, the aquintance of my sister-of-law is not located in Taiwan. He is a
Chinese doctor living in Hungary who came back with this tea from one of his
recent visits in China and/or Taiwan. My brother has a working knowledge of
Chinese, so my guess is that he will try to contact this company in Maokong.

Thanks again,
Gyorgy

>> They also have a page for the prices -- the third link on the
>> navigation bar up top
>>
>> http://www.o-tea.enew88.net/si003page.htm
>>
>> Your Gaoshan Wutie costs 1600 NTD, which is about 50 USD.
>>
>> MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

> Reading that web page some more.... it seems like Wutie is some sort
> of high oxidation, high roast oolong, basically.
>
> They also have a strange tea.... uses microwave to kill-green and
> roast. I don't know what that's going to taste like...
>
> MarshalN
> http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Help identifying a black tea Konrad Scorciapino Tea 16 18-07-2006 07:36 PM
Help with identifying tea? Kitty Tea 11 24-04-2006 06:31 AM
Help with identifying tea? Kitty Tea 0 10-04-2006 07:33 AM
Need help identifying odd pan Phoebe General Cooking 4 05-10-2005 12:17 AM
identifying Tea Set [email protected] Tea 2 10-10-2003 02:24 AM