FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Please help identifying this tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/132054-please-help-identifying-tea.html)

Gyorgy Sajo 18-08-2007 10:30 PM

Please help identifying this tea

Greetings,

My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
expert in oolongs... - oolong.

Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
thankful.

Here are two pictures of the box:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg

Thanks again,
Gyorgy

toci 19-08-2007 01:46 AM

On Aug 18, 4:30 pm, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> expert in oolongs... - oolong.
>
> Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> thankful.
>
> Here are two pictures of the box:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg
>
> Thanks again,
> Gyorgy

Until an expert comes along, I'd look through the Tie Quan Yins to see
if you can recognize the leaf. Toci

cha bing 19-08-2007 05:10 AM

Please help identifying this tea

Looks to me like it says Alishan high mountain oolong.

I think if you look that up on the web you'll find more information.

Charles

HobbesOxon 19-08-2007 07:42 AM

Please help identifying this tea

Yes indeed, it's Alishan gaoshan wulong, according to the hand-written
label. It's unusual to find a darker, roasted Alishan - they're
usually almost exclusively green (qingxiang), so it's not going to be
easy finding a replacement!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

MarshalN[_1_] 19-08-2007 01:23 PM

Gyorgy Sajo wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> expert in oolongs... - oolong.
>
> Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> thankful.
>
> Here are two pictures of the box:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong01.jpg
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg
>
> Thanks again,
> Gyorgy

The bottom of the can says "Wu-tie", not "Wu-long". The tea is from a
"Wutie Chayuan" or "Dark Iron Tea Garden", literally. The tea is from
Alishan, or so it says, and the name of the product is "Gaoshan
Wutie". A google search yields this

http://www.o-tea.enew88.net/si001page.htm

Which is in Maokong, very near Taipei. Maokong has a lot of tea farms
where they let you drink their stuff right there. So I guess this is
a brand name of theirs -- I wonder if they roast the tea themselves.
Is your sister in-law's friend in or near Taipei?

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

MarshalN[_1_] 19-08-2007 01:24 PM

On Aug 19, 5:30 am, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> expert in oolongs... - oolong.
>
> Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> thankful.
>
> Here are two pictures of the box:
>
> http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...y/Oolong02.jpg
>
> Thanks again,
> Gyorgy

They also have a page for the prices -- the third link on the
navigation bar up top

http://www.o-tea.enew88.net/si003page.htm

Your Gaoshan Wutie costs 1600 NTD, which is about 50 USD.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

MarshalN[_1_] 19-08-2007 05:26 PM

On Aug 19, 8:24 pm, MarshalN > wrote:
> On Aug 19, 5:30 am, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:
>

> > Greetings,

> > My dear sister-in-law received some lovely oolong tea from Taiwan. She was
> > very enthusiastic about it and asked me whether I could find some more of
> > it. Unfortunately when I spoke to her all the tea was happily gone and she
> > could only show me the empty box. She said the dry leaves were very dark, so
> > it must been a heavily oxidized - or heavily fired? sorry, I am not an
> > expert in oolongs... - oolong.

> > Unfortunately I can not read any Chinese, so I am completely dependent on
> > the expertise and goodwill of this highly estimated group. If any of you can
> > identify this tea, and maybe even tell me where I could get more of it -
> > preferably from an online source as I live in Europe - I would be very
> > thankful.

> > Here are two pictures of the box:

> >http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...pghttp://i29.p...

> > Thanks again,
> > Gyorgy

> They also have a page for the prices -- the third link on the
> navigation bar up top
>
> http://www.o-tea.enew88.net/si003page.htm
>
> Your Gaoshan Wutie costs 1600 NTD, which is about 50 USD.
>
> MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Reading that web page some more.... it seems like Wutie is some sort
of high oxidation, high roast oolong, basically.

They also have a strange tea.... uses microwave to kill-green and
roast. I don't know what that's going to taste like...

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Gyorgy Sajo 19-08-2007 08:40 PM

Please help identifying this tea

Dear MarshalN,

Thanks a lot - I am deeply impressed that you could track down this tea for
me!

No, the aquintance of my sister-of-law is not located in Taiwan. He is a
Chinese doctor living in Hungary who came back with this tea from one of his
recent visits in China and/or Taiwan. My brother has a working knowledge of
Chinese, so my guess is that he will try to contact this company in Maokong.