Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tea Production Variables

I'm trying to figure out, in very general terms, what the variables in
tea production are (e.g., not varieties of tea leaf or tea growing
regions, and not brewing variables). For now, I am leaving Pu-er out
of the picture, because that seems to add a seperate layer of
complexity. From various sources, and especially Hou De's video on
the manufacture of Formosa Oolong (easily found on You Tube), I have
narrowed things down as follows:

1. Tea is picked -- this can be mechanical, or hand-done, and can be
done at several different times of year, or in different conditions,
or at different stages of tea leaf growth. This variable is huge and
there are a lot of parts to it.

2. Withering -- to me, this looks like some sort of abbreviated drying
process, where leaves are given lots of air and frequently "stirred".
It can be done indoors or outdoors, but no heat other than sun is
added. Tea still has significant moisture afterwards and the leaves
remain very pliable. I really don't understand what this step does. It
seems like this is almost a sub-step of the next variable.

3. Fermentation -- I'm not sure I fully understand how this differs
from withering, though it may be that the leaves are left in a pile
and stirred less frequently (or not at all?). This does not appear to
involve any particular heat sources. I would guess this step would be
skipped in green or white tea production, because my understanding is
that this step is what seperates oolongs and red/black tea from the
green and white tea. Afterwards, I imagine the leaves still have a lot
of moisture and are still very pliable. Degree of fermentation is a
huge variable, but there are no other real additives in this step so
this is a pretty easy variable to identify.

4. "Kill-green" -- this can involve pan-frying or oven roasting
(steaming seems unlikely given the overall goal of reducing moisture)
but seems to be the first time that a heat source other than the sun
is added to the mix. I would guess that the tea would have to reach a
certain temperature to stop the fermentation process. From the Hou De
video, it is apparent that the leaves can remain flexible after this
process, though I've seen some other video on long jing production
that seems to show a finished product after the kill-green step (maybe
because this step combines the next steps into one for this particular
tea?)

5. Shaping/Further Drying -- after the kill green, the tea may still
have moisture in it and the leaves may still be pliable. So I guess
this is when leaves are twisted or rolled, and I imagine that shaping
process is interspersed with various drying efforts that use some sort
of heat sources. The variables here that may affect flavor or aging
potential would be shape and perhaps the drying source (e.g.,
charcoal, electric heat?). I would guess the goal of all tea
production is to reduce moisture levels to similar levels, no matter
the tea, so extent of drying is probably not a variable here. Maybe
speed of drying process and temperature are variables.

6. Roasting? -- the Hou De video doesn't appear to show tea roasting,
but tea roasting is clearly a factor in some tea production. I'm not
sure what that process would do other than further reduce moisture and
perhaps change the flavor somehow (I imagine you are basically cooking
the tea, which would change the flavor of anything). The variables
here would be similar to the drying variables above -- charcoal or
electric heat, as well as temperature and time. Maybe the drying is a
type of roasting.

I hope this doesn't repeat too much anything that has previously been
posted. Seems like I never see this information in one place. If
anyone has comments on the above steps in the form of additions/
subtractions/clarifications, I would be appreciative.

-Charles

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 11, 9:12 am, cha bing > wrote:

I'm by no means an expert and do not really understand all stages, but
I'll try to add what I have heard/learned from others who are much
more experienced in tea making....

> 1. Tea is picked -- this can be mechanical, or hand-done, and can be
> done at several different times of year, or in different conditions,
> or at different stages of tea leaf growth. This variable is huge and
> there are a lot of parts to it.

I think generally speaking weather is extremely important for all
stages. In picking, you're not supposed to pick if it's raining or if
it just rained. Time of day when you pick is important. How you pick
is important. Even how you use your hand to pick it is important (no
squeezing, which bruises the tea). It's complicated...

> 2. Withering -- to me, this looks like some sort of abbreviated drying
> process, where leaves are given lots of air and frequently "stirred".
> It can be done indoors or outdoors, but no heat other than sun is
> added. Tea still has significant moisture afterwards and the leaves
> remain very pliable. I really don't understand what this step does. It
> seems like this is almost a sub-step of the next variable.

Withering, afaik, is a step that allows for some oxidation to happen.
You don't wither the tea if you want zero oxidation. Sun is often not
added, from what I understand. Most of the time this is done indoors
in a somewhat airy area - and again, weather plays a factor. How you
place the tea, where you place it, how long do you let it go for, how
you do the "stirring" are all very important. If you screw this step
up, your oolong isn't going to be very good.

> 3. Fermentation -- I'm not sure I fully understand how this differs
> from withering, though it may be that the leaves are left in a pile
> and stirred less frequently (or not at all?). This does not appear to
> involve any particular heat sources. I would guess this step would be
> skipped in green or white tea production, because my understanding is
> that this step is what seperates oolongs and red/black tea from the
> green and white tea. Afterwards, I imagine the leaves still have a lot
> of moisture and are still very pliable. Degree of fermentation is a
> huge variable, but there are no other real additives in this step so
> this is a pretty easy variable to identify.

I think withering is where fermentation happens, but it can also
happen in other stages too, for example during picking (woman with
basket of tea that's laden with leaves, somewhat hot (under the sun
and perhaps body heat), leaves are pretty much withering right away --
just a matter of speed and degree, like, say, a sliced apple. There's
usually some oxidation in white tea too...

> 4. "Kill-green" -- this can involve pan-frying or oven roasting
> (steaming seems unlikely given the overall goal of reducing moisture)
> but seems to be the first time that a heat source other than the sun
> is added to the mix. I would guess that the tea would have to reach a
> certain temperature to stop the fermentation process. From the Hou De
> video, it is apparent that the leaves can remain flexible after this
> process, though I've seen some other video on long jing production
> that seems to show a finished product after the kill-green step (maybe
> because this step combines the next steps into one for this particular
> tea?)

Leaves actually remain quite flexible after this process from what I
understand. Oftentimes rolling takes place after this. For sencha,
for example, you roll them very vigorously after steaming to induce
the tea juices. From what I know that is also an extremely important
step in shaping the taste of the tea -- different degrees of rolling
will change the way things taste. There's machine and hand rolled, but
there's also how much, how heavy, and how long. I don't understand
this fully myself, but a tea that is lightly or not rolled at all,
from what I have heard anyway, can be quite weird -- some puerhs these
days are very lightly rolled because they want to preserve the big
leaf shape, to the detriment of taste.

> 5. Shaping/Further Drying -- after the kill green, the tea may still
> have moisture in it and the leaves may still be pliable. So I guess
> this is when leaves are twisted or rolled, and I imagine that shaping
> process is interspersed with various drying efforts that use some sort
> of heat sources. The variables here that may affect flavor or aging
> potential would be shape and perhaps the drying source (e.g.,
> charcoal, electric heat?). I would guess the goal of all tea
> production is to reduce moisture levels to similar levels, no matter
> the tea, so extent of drying is probably not a variable here. Maybe
> speed of drying process and temperature are variables.

The rolling would've happened by the time you take it to the dryer,
which can be the oven, sun, or whatever. It's just to reduce moisture
to the point where the tea is more or less dry -- one measure is
whether or not when you crush the leaf it becomes powdery or not. If
it doesn't, then it's not dry enough. Makes sense.

> 6. Roasting? -- the Hou De video doesn't appear to show tea roasting,
> but tea roasting is clearly a factor in some tea production. I'm not
> sure what that process would do other than further reduce moisture and
> perhaps change the flavor somehow (I imagine you are basically cooking
> the tea, which would change the flavor of anything). The variables
> here would be similar to the drying variables above -- charcoal or
> electric heat, as well as temperature and time. Maybe the drying is a
> type of roasting.

I think cooking the tea is sort of what's going on -- and I think what
happens is that by applying heat, some of the aromatics are changed or
dissipated, and thus give the tea a different flavour. In some cases
teas are smoked (Lapsang Souchong) where they use pine wood to smoke
it and that's where it gets that distinctive flavour.

> I hope this doesn't repeat too much anything that has previously been
> posted. Seems like I never see this information in one place. If
> anyone has comments on the above steps in the form of additions/
> subtractions/clarifications, I would be appreciative.

Again, caveat being that I am only a beginner in understanding this.
Perhaps a tea grower can add to this discussion? It'll be very
appreciated

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_processing

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks for the responses. In looking at some of the other sources out
there, including the wikipedia article (d'oh! I suppose I should have
looked there first), I think the biggest factor I was missing is the
"bruising" stage. This seems to be part of the oxidation process,
along with withering. The oxidation process seems to be ongoing too.
In fact, I think MarshalN must be right that oxidation happens from
the moment a leaf is picked until the kill green stage. So maybe I can
take an oversimplification and make it more simple by categorizing the
process into even fewer steps as follows (with some variables sub-
categorized):

1. Harvest variables
a. natural characteristics surrounding tea growth and harvest (e.g.,
weather, soil type, climate)
b. how picked
c. age and type of leaves

2. Early bruising and drying variables
a. degree of drying/withering
b. method/degree of bruising

3. Kill Green variables (method of kill green is only real variable
here)

4. Shaping variables
a. method
b. shape

5. Roasting variables
a. time and temperature
b. heat source

I would imagine that all of these variables can be described for a
particular tea based solely on the taste and visual inspection of
leaves by an experienced tea drinker (if there are any professional
tea purchasers out there who want to weigh in on that, I'd be
grateful).

Charles

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The train of diffrent processes that fresh plucked leaf undergoes is
designed in the first place to prepare the leaf for fermentation; in
the second to establish teh best conditions for its action and finally
to aresst the process when it has gone far enough.

The care and attention needed to ensure satisfactory manufacture
should start in the field. The treatment of the leaf from the moment
of detachment from the bush to that place where manufacturing begins
is also of equal importance. The fermentation process begins
immediately a leaf is bruised. If this occurs in the pluckers hand, or
in the containers in which the leaf is transported to the factory,
such fermentation is uncontrolled. Careful handling of plucked leaf
and avoidance of tight packing in bags, baskets or other containers
are of the essence of good manufacturing technique.

WITHERING.

In systems of traditional manufacture the first stage in the
processing of tea is withering. Normally this is carried out by
spreading the tea leaves, thinly on banks of trays or "tats" made of
tightly stretched jute hessian or wire netting. Ten to fifteen squre
feet per pound of fresh leaf is a normal density of spread. The tats
are spaced five to six inches apart, to allow free access of air, with
alley-ways between each bank to allow distribution and removal of
leaf.

Light withers (40 to 42 per cent out turn) are usual in Assam and East
Africa, and medium to hard withers (45 to 50 per cent out turn) are
normal in ceylon. The average lenghth of time for withering is
eighteen to twenty hours where tats are used. There is much
flexibility in these figures depending from factory to factory.

The prime objective of withering is to prepare the leaf for rolling by
making the leaf tissues flaccid and permeable to the juices which the
rolling will wring out and spread evenly upon the surface.

Insufficent attention to withering standards leads to many
complications later.

In the subsequent stage of rolling it is difficult to keep under-
withered leaf from being thrown out of the machine, and in extreme
instances the juices may be expressed and lost. When unduly wet the
macerated leaf clogs the sieves of the sifiting machine. Most serious
of all, to light a wither will overtax the drier inthe firing process.
Under-withered leaf also tends to produce flaky tea of low apparent
specific gravity.

Long withers have a favourable on colour in the brewed tea but this is
secured on the expense of quality. Where long withers are the result
of too slow a removal of surface moisture , in this there is a risk of
the rapid proliferation of ubiquitous and unwanted bacteria which
produces dull and characterless tea.

ROLLING

When a satisfactory wither has been obtained the leaf is ready for
rolling, which twists the leaf, breaks it up and expresses the juices.
The machines used vary in size and design but their principles are
alike: they compress and turn the leaf over, keeping it in continula
motion, in a manner that is similar to, and derived from, the
operation of rubbing leaf between the palms of the hand in primitive
chinese fashion.

What the machines do in the process of rolling is another long chapter
- that we shall discuss some other time - have kipped it for the
moment.

The green color of the leaves diminishes and the brown or coppery
colour of the oxidation products begins to appear.

At this stage there are a number of points related to the design of
rollers and to procedure that require emphasis because they affect the
whole course of manufacture and the quality of finished tea. The first
is that the onset of rolling is accompanied by the evolution of heat.

Pressure, by consolidating the leaf, confines the accumulated heat and
that is why, in traditional rolling programmes, periods with and
without pressure are generally alternated.

Excessive pressure in the early stages of rolling affects the physical
appearance of the tea.

The number of times a batch of leaf is rolled varies according to the
type of tea to be produced, the degree of wither of the leaf and the
kind of roller used. In general the lightly withered leaf common to
Assam or African procedures receives a smaller number of rolls than
medium or hard withered leaf in Ceylon. The usual range is from three
to five rolling periods. The aim is first to twist the leaf and then
progressively to break it up into small particles by increased
pressure till the major portion has been sifted through the green leaf
sifters.

ROLL BREAKING AND GREEN LEAF SIFTING

On discharge from the roller the leaf mass is more or less compressed
into lumps. These are broken up in the sifting process by the machine
which usually combines the operation of roll breaker and sifter. In
essence this is a rectangular sieve, set at a moderate angle,
mechanically agitated. The roller discharge is fed into a hopper in
which beaters revolve to break up the mass, after which the tea falls
onto the sieve and slowly travels to the other end for discharge. In
the course of this passage the smaller particles fall through.

The roll breaker and green leaf sifter performs three essential
functions. In the first instance it cools the leaf and thus prevents
the retention of excessive heat: secondly, it aerates the mass, and
thirdly, by sieving out particles of small size, it seperates leaf
into portions that will be reasonably uniform in their rate of
fermentation. To achieve this uniformity careful operation is needed.
The leaf should be fed continuously at an even rate and be well spread
across the width of the sieve.

FERMENTATION

Fermentation starts in the rollers but is continued in the dhool
stage. The sifted dhools (smaller particles) are spread out in thin
layers, in order to continue the oxidative processes. There is great
variety in the materials that are used to accomodate this spread - out
leaf. Tiles, cement and aluminium are most commonly used, the
essential point being that they should be easily cleaned. The
thickness of spread controls three important factors, the temperature
of the leaf, the rate of moisture loss and the access of oxygen. With
layers two inches thick temperature losses sufficient to retard
fermentation are not likely. Some factories install air - conditioning
plant to ensure controlled conditions. Good air circulation without
draughts is needed to attain good fermentation conditions. In hot
climates the air is kept humid with less than 4 degree F. hygrometric
difference. In colder regions the circulating atmosphere is
artifically heated. In either event moist air, to prevent surface
drying, is advisable. For economical working it is better to ferment
in a special fermentation room whose atmospheric conditions can be
easily controlled.

During fermentation the leaf changes colour and becomes a dark copper
colour. The typical aroma develops and by the subjective judgement of
its intensity the period necessary for completion is judged. Time of
fermentation is reckoned from the time at which rolling begins and it
should be as short as practicable. After four and a half hours there
is appreciable loss of quality.

FIRING

The general principle adopted in firing is that of subjecting the
fermented tea to a forced blast of hot air in such a manner that the
hottest air comes first into contact with the driest tea. To bring
this about the older driers, some of which are still in use, were
provided with a banked series of perforated trays carrying the dhools,
which were systematically altered in position as the drying operation
proceeded; a fresh tray being inserted at the exhaust end as the trays
were moved and the final one removed.
A similar pattern of movement was also provided for in machines which
had fixed trays built in narrow strips which could be mechanically
tilted so as to discharge their leaf onto the tray below, leaving the
upper one ready to load with the next portion of unfired dhool.

Modern machines employ the principle of perforated sections mounted on
an endless chain. The sections are arranged in a tier of six units
which alternate in their direction of motion. The tea is fed onto the
top section, and moves in conveyor - belt fashion till it discharges
onto the tray immediately below, which is moving in the opposite
direction; and so on till the dried tea is discharged at the bottom.
Hot air is provided by means of a furnance or steam boiler through
which pass tubes connecting with the outer atmosphere.

Thickness of spread, speed of trays and volume or air blown can all be
regulated at will.

Inlet temperatures usually range from 180 degree F to 200 degree F.,
according to the degree of wither, and outlet temperatures are in the
range of 120 degree F. to 130 degree F.

During the drying process the enzyme responsibly for fermentation is
inactivated. After the tea is dry maturation processes occur but these
are not due to enzyme activity. The manner of firing plays an
important role in determining the quality. Teas fired at high
temperature are deficient in pungency, quality and flavour, but their
keeping properties are satisfactory. Contrariwise teas can be
satisfactorily fired at temperatures as low as 160 degree F. provided
that the final moisture content is correct. These teas retain their
quality and flavour but deteriorate on storage.

GRADING AND SORTING

Grading is carried out for the most part on mechanically oscillated
sieves, similar in genral principle to those used in the green stage,
and fitted with meshes of appropriate size.

The grades in general production are named as follows: Broken Orange
Pekoe; Broken Pekoe; Orange Pekoe; Pekoe; Souchong; Broken Orange
Pekoe Fannings; Fannings and Dust.

Before tea is packed the accumulated series of daily batches of each
grade are bulked and mixed in order to ensure as high a degree of
uniformity as possible. The tea is then packed into chests holding
approximately 100 lb. or 50 lb. (half chests). These chests are
usually of plywood lined with almunium foil and paper and sealed with
similar material.

Hope i have been able to make things simpler - please feel free to ask
any questions that you may have.

Regards
Ankit
www.xanga.com/lochantea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ankit

Thanks for the great post It is really informative.

Could you quote the source of the article? This article is very
comprehensive, I mention it just in case somebody decided to quote it
elsewhere and not quite sure who to attribute it to.

Also can I clarify that if the process refers to the making of ctc
black tea?

Many thanks.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thank you so much, Ankit. That is a lot of great information, even if
it doesn't really make my project simpler per se. In fact, I think
your post has made me doubt even more my attempts to simplify the tea
making process into simple discreet categories and limited variables.
There is a lot of really vital information behind the most outer layer
of the onion that I am trying to grasp. But posts like yours are
invaluable to people like me, who are trying to understand how
everything works without the benefit of being able to visit a tea
plantation. I doubt I will ever be able to taste a tea and be able to
tell whether there was a hard or soft wither in the process, but it
all contributes to my appreciation of the beverage and I hope to
continue understanding how tea is made. I think I will save your post
and put it in a file somewhere.

Also, thanks to Julian Tai, whose web page has a good primer on the
production of oolong tea, which is what I really had in mind when I
made my initial post (because that is what I have been drinking
lately). (see http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/ool...ocessing.html).

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 12, 6:04 pm, juliantai > wrote:
> Ankit
>
> Thanks for the great post It is really informative.
>

> Could you quote the source of the article? This article is very
> comprehensive, I mention it just in case somebody decided to quote it
> elsewhere and not quite sure who to attribute it to.
>
> Also can I clarify that if the process refers to the making of ctc
> black tea?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

hi julian

i am happy that you liked the post - glad to be of help to people.

this process is generally for orthodox black (leaf) and ctc tea.

regarding the source - it is from many places - a couple of books and
some info from my own brain.

if you want the names of all the books i would be really happy to give
it to you.

regards
ankit
www.xanga.com/lochantea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 13, 6:52 am, cha bing > wrote:
> Thank you so much, Ankit. That is a lot of great information, even if
> it doesn't really make my project simpler per se. In fact, I think
> your post has made me doubt even more my attempts to simplify the tea
> making process into simple discreet categories and limited variables.
> There is a lot of really vital information behind the most outer layer
> of the onion that I am trying to grasp. But posts like yours are
> invaluable to people like me, who are trying to understand how
> everything works without the benefit of being able to visit a tea
> plantation. I doubt I will ever be able to taste a tea and be able to
> tell whether there was a hard or soft wither in the process, but it
> all contributes to my appreciation of the beverage and I hope to
> continue understanding how tea is made. I think I will save your post
> and put it in a file somewhere.
>
> Also, thanks to Julian Tai, whose web page has a good primer on the
> production of oolong tea, which is what I really had in mind when I
> made my initial post (because that is what I have been drinking
> lately). (seehttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com/oolong-tea-processing.html).

Glad that you found the article informative - i will try and write
something more simpler for you soon.

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 12, 1:39 am, Ankit Lochan > wrote:
> [...]
> satisfactorily fired at temperatures as low as 160 degree F. provided
> that the final moisture content is correct. These teas retain their
> quality and flavour but deteriorate on storage.
>
> GRADING AND SORTING
>
> Grading is carried out for the most part on mechanically oscillated
> sieves, similar in genral principle to those used in the green stage,
> and fitted with meshes of appropriate size.
>
> The grades in general production are named as follows: Broken Orange
> Pekoe; Broken Pekoe; Orange Pekoe; Pekoe; Souchong; Broken Orange
> Pekoe Fannings; Fannings and Dust.
>
> Before tea is packed the accumulated series of daily batches of each
> grade are bulked and mixed in order to ensure as high a degree of
> uniformity as possible. The tea is then packed into chests holding
> approximately 100 lb. or 50 lb. (half chests). These chests are

Thank you, again, Ankit. Your posts are so informative and very
appreciated. I personally wish you'd start a blog (hint, hint!).
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 12, 11:55 pm, Shen > wrote:
> [...]

> > During the drying process the enzyme responsibly for fermentation is
> > inactivated. After the tea is dry maturation processes occur but these
> > are not due to enzyme activity. The manner of firing plays an
> > important role in determining the quality. Teas fired at high
> > temperature are deficient in pungency, quality and flavour, but their
> > keeping properties are satisfactory. Contrariwise teas can be
> > satisfactorily fired at temperatures as low as 160 degree F. provided
> > that the final moisture content is correct. These teas retain their
> > quality and flavour but deteriorate on storage.

> > GRADING AND SORTING

> > Grading is carried out for the most part on mechanically oscillated
> > sieves, similar in genral principle to those used in the green stage,
> > and fitted with meshes of appropriate size.

> > The grades in general production are named as follows: Broken

Oops, I see you have one................
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 13, 11:55 am, Shen > wrote:
> [...]

> > GRADING AND SORTING

> > Grading is carried out for the most part on mechanically oscillated
> > sieves, similar in genral principle to those used in the green stage,
> > and fitted with meshes of appropriate size.

> > The grades in general production are named as follows: Broken Orange
> > Pekoe; Broken Pekoe; Orange Pekoe; Pekoe; Souchong; Broken Orange
> > Pekoe Fannings; Fannings and Dust.

> > Before tea is packed the accumulated series of daily batches of each
> > grade are bulked and mixed in order to ensure as high a degree of
> > uniformity as possible. The tea is then packed into chests holding
> > approximately 100 lb. or 50 lb. (half chests). These chests are
> > usually of plywood lined with ...

> > read more »

> Thank you, again, Ankit. Your posts are so informative and very
> appreciated. I personally wish you'd start a blog (hint, hint!).

hi shen,

www.xanga.com/lochantea

please join in.

regards
ankit

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ankit

Thanks for being so helpful

As a side line, it will actually be useful if you can share with us
your favourite tea references, either here or in your blog.

There have been several threads on this subject before, but it will be
great to know what a tea grower would read

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 14, 9:55 pm, juliantai > wrote:
> Ankit
>
> Thanks for being so helpful
>
> As a side line, it will actually be useful if you can share with us
> your favourite tea references, either here or in your blog.
>
> There have been several threads on this subject before, but it will be
> great to know what a tea grower would read
>
> Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

hi !

some of them are profiles of tea by prafulla goradia, tea by t.eden,
tea culture, processing and marketing by m.jmulky and v.s.sharma, tea
production and processing by barundeb bannerjee, the story of tea by
e.jaiwant paul, tea the universal health drink by r.s.jhawar, the tea
book by serena hardy, the heritage of indian tea by d.k.taknet, tea
legend, life and livelihood of india by g.p.baroowah.

there are many more - these are the ones i find more orignal and
informative.

regards
ankit
www.xanga.com/lochantea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 14, 9:55 pm, juliantai > wrote:
> Ankit
>
> Thanks for being so helpful
>
> As a side line, it will actually be useful if you can share with us
> your favourite tea references, either here or in your blog.
>
> There have been several threads on this subject before, but it will be
> great to know what a tea grower would read
>
> Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

hi again,

i missed out this one - really an intresting one

the culture and marketing of tea by c.r.hurler.

regards
www.xanga.com/lochantea