Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
SN SN is offline

Default (TEA) Make your own bottled tea

So in doing bottled tea i guess theres 2 ways:

1. Cold brewing: put leaves & water in bottle, put it in the fridge,
wait hours/days for infusion.
2. Hot brew and cool down: prepare tea separately, pour it in the
bottle, store in fridge.
3. Sun brew: havent tried this.

so while #1 takes longer to brew, #2 takes a while to cool

any info on storage problems- how long can we store our diy bottled
tea for?
i suppose it depends on temperature of the fridge and any inadvertent
bacterial contamination.

i notice rtd bottled teas most have ascorbic acid (vit c), thats to
preserve taste? even tho it has a taste of its own.
does anyone know what other chemicals they put in the rtd teas to
preserve it longer, any effect they might have on taste?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I make my own brewed tea all the time - a little concentrated if I
need an extra boost of energy (but it also means adding more sugar, to
pare down the bitterness).

I would never use cold brewing or sun brewing. Hot brew and cool down
is the way to go. Why? Because you can better control the steeping
time, and thus the flavor of the tea. You just get a better flavor of
tea with that method.

By the way, for this type of brewing, I would only use teas that I
wouldn't otherwise be drinking - ie. not very good teas that don't
taste very good as hot brewed tea; or old teas, etc.

Since I don't have a refrigerator (sounds kind of strange - but I
really don't). I just let the teas cool to room temperature, or drink
it slightly warmer. It can sit in the pitcher for about 6-8 hours.
After 24 hours at room temp, the bacteria starts to make the tea
bubble up, so it's non-drinkable by then. But usually, I drink it
within 4-6 hours max anyway.

Of course, ideally, it's best to store it in the fridge and have cold
tea. Pouring it into a tall glass, and adding a few ice cubes would be
good too. But that's a luxury where I am.

If you stored bottled tea in the fridge, I would drink it within 2
days. You could always make more anyway. Back when I had a fridge, I
used to make 4 pitchers of tea. Some I would pour into 1-liter, or
even smaller size clean water bottles and put in the freezer. Then,
when I went on a trip, or had to do some yard work or something, it
could sit out in the sun and let it defrost a little. And I drank it
as it melted. That way, it was icy and refreshing.

> any info on storage problems- how long can we store our diy bottled
> tea for?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

SN/Warern

Nice post.

Warren, you got a great blog there.

SN, if you don't mind me asking, do you have a name?

It is slightly uncomforting reading all those great reviews of yours
and doesn't actually know who is writing it.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

SN > wrote:

>i notice rtd bottled teas most have ascorbic acid (vit c), thats to
>preserve taste? even tho it has a taste of its own.

It preserves taste and also color.

>does anyone know what other chemicals they put in the rtd teas to
>preserve it longer, any effect they might have on taste?

Sodium benzoate is a popular one.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

juliantai wrote:
> SN/Warern
>
> Nice post.
>
> Warren, you got a great blog there.

Thanks, now if I could only expand and do a tea one as well, but I don't
want to bump heads with 100% tea

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I agree that "hot brew cool down" is the way to go. If you're in a
hurry, use less water and pour the infusion over ice (or add cold
water). Tea made in this manner can be stored for a week in the
refrigerator. See http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/ju...sk_salmonella/

If you make sun tea, drink it that day. Sun tea is brewed in the
optimum temperature range for bacteria growth. See
http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp

Alan

On Jul 27, 11:07 pm, niisonge > wrote:
> I make my own brewed tea all the time - a little concentrated if I
> need an extra boost of energy (but it also means adding more sugar, to
> pare down the bitterness).
>
> I would never use cold brewing or sun brewing. Hot brew and cool down
> is the way to go. Why? Because you can better control the steeping
> time, and thus the flavor of the tea. You just get a better flavor of
> tea with that method.
>
> By the way, for this type of brewing, I would only use teas that I
> wouldn't otherwise be drinking - ie. not very good teas that don't
> taste very good as hot brewed tea; or old teas, etc.
>
> Since I don't have a refrigerator (sounds kind of strange - but I
> really don't). I just let the teas cool to room temperature, or drink
> it slightly warmer. It can sit in the pitcher for about 6-8 hours.
> After 24 hours at room temp, the bacteria starts to make the tea
> bubble up, so it's non-drinkable by then. But usually, I drink it
> within 4-6 hours max anyway.
>
> Of course, ideally, it's best to store it in the fridge and have cold
> tea. Pouring it into a tall glass, and adding a few ice cubes would be
> good too. But that's a luxury where I am.
>
> If you stored bottled tea in the fridge, I would drink it within 2
> days. You could always make more anyway. Back when I had a fridge, I
> used to make 4 pitchers of tea. Some I would pour into 1-liter, or
> even smaller size clean water bottles and put in the freezer. Then,
> when I went on a trip, or had to do some yard work or something, it
> could sit out in the sun and let it defrost a little. And I drank it
> as it melted. That way, it was icy and refreshing.
>

> > any info on storage problems- how long can we store our diy bottled
> > tea for?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Alan wrote:
> I agree that "hot brew cool down" is the way to go. If you're in a
> hurry, use less water and pour the infusion over ice (or add cold
> water). Tea made in this manner can be stored for a week in the
> refrigerator. See http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2007/ju...sk_salmonella/
>
> If you make sun tea, drink it that day. Sun tea is brewed in the
> optimum temperature range for bacteria growth. See
> http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp
>
> Alan

I respectfully disagree. I have always had amazing results with a cold
brewed iced tea:
http://www.theteafaq.com/tea/recipes...-iced-tea.html

My tea always tastes great, it doesn't get cloudy when chilled (even
when adding simple syrup or agave nectar) and while I've heard some
people harp on 'optimal temperature,' I have not noticed any significant
differences in my iced teas (perhaps because i save the high quality
leaves for my hot tea and use a basic English Breakfast or oolong for my
iced tea). Just my $0.02....

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/ Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/ The Tea FAQ
HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/ The Jerky FAQ
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Warren,

Thanks for the info. You're right. Hot and cold brewing both produce
good iced tea. Hot brewing is my personal preference because I'm not
disciplined enough to wait for cold brewing. The main point of my post
is that sun tea is a petri dish and hot (or cold) brewing produces a
tea that can be kept for a reasonable amount of time.

I made some iced tea from Den's Tea's cherry sencha. It was too fruity
for my taste as a hot tea, but is very light and refreshing as an iced
tea. And I need that here in the desert (Tucson, AZ).

Alan

On Aug 1, 8:12 am, Warren Ransom >
wrote:

> I respectfully disagree. I have always had amazing results with a cold
> brewed iced tea:http://www.theteafaq.com/tea/recipes...-iced-tea.html
>
> My tea always tastes great, it doesn't get cloudy when chilled (even
> when adding simple syrup or agave nectar) and while I've heard some
> people harp on 'optimal temperature,' I have not noticed any significant
> differences in my iced teas (perhaps because i save the high quality
> leaves for my hot tea and use a basic English Breakfast or oolong for my
> iced tea). Just my $0.02....
>
> --
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/The Sushi FAQ
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/The Sushi Otaku Blog
> HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
> HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/The Tea FAQ
> HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/The Jerky FAQ

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 3, 3:53 am, Alan > wrote:
> Warren,
>
> Thanks for the info. You're right. Hot and cold brewing both produce
> good iced tea. Hot brewing is my personal preference because I'm not
> disciplined enough to wait for cold brewing. The main point of my post
> is that sun tea is a petri dish and hot (or cold) brewing produces a
> tea that can be kept for a reasonable amount of time.
>
> I made some iced tea from Den's Tea's cherry sencha. It was too fruity
> for my taste as a hot tea, but is very light and refreshing as an iced
> tea. And I need that here in the desert (Tucson, AZ).
>
> Alan
>
> On Aug 1, 8:12 am, Warren Ransom >
> wrote:
>

> > I respectfully disagree. I have always had amazing results with a cold
> > brewed iced tea:http://www.theteafaq.com/tea/recipes...-iced-tea.html

> > My tea always tastes great, it doesn't get cloudy when chilled (even
> > when adding simple syrup or agave nectar) and while I've heard some
> > people harp on 'optimal temperature,' I have not noticed any significant
> > differences in my iced teas (perhaps because i save the high quality
> > leaves for my hot tea and use a basic English Breakfast or oolong for my
> > iced tea). Just my $0.02....

> > --
> > HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/TheSushi FAQ
> > HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/TheSushi Otaku Blog
> > HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia...ediaRestaurant Finder
> > HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/TheTea FAQ
> > HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/TheJerky FAQ- Hide quoted text -

i have tried #1 and #2 method, i doubt i would try the #3 method! I
don't know...i just dislike the idea of letting the tea go under the
sun..