Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Finger-tap thanks: regionality?

Many of us are familiar with the Chinese practice of tapping fingers on
the table to signify thanks, as after the pouring of tea or other
beverages. Likewise, the alleged beginnings of this practice as a covert
way to honor an emperor traveling incognito.

I recently had dinner with a Japanese business executive who did this.
Despite several weeks' travel in Japan on four occasions, I hadn't
previously noticed its use by Japanese. Is this a common practice in
Japan that I just never noticed? Where else is it common? I ask partly
out of curiosity, and partly to know when the gesture might suit.

Thanks-

DM
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've lived in Japan for 6 years, and I'm an anthropologist who is
interested in issues of body language. Let me assure you that this is
*not* normal Japanese behavior. Personally, if I were with a Japanese
who used that gesture, I would read it as them showing off their
cosmopolitan background. Perhaps that person used to live in a
country that used that gesture? Hangs out with Chinese people in
Japan? As a "foreigner" yourself, perhaps he expected you to be more
aware of the significance of that gesture?

On the other hand, I would say that *many* Japanese are *conscious* of
that gesture as a Chinese way of expressing thanks, especially when a
friend pours you tea.

james-henry holland
hobart and william smith colleges
geneva, new york

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I recently had dinner with a Japanese business executive who did
this.
> Despite several weeks' travel in Japan on four occasions, I hadn't
> previously noticed its use by Japanese. Is this a common practice in
> Japan that I just never noticed? Where else is it common? I ask partly
> out of curiosity, and partly to know when the gesture might suit.

It is common in many places around China. Here in Guangdong there are
about a hundred different stories as to why it's done. It's usually
seen in places that consume a lot of tea.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Its been awhile but in the US I think the gesture also tells the
bartender to refill your drink or 'hit me again'. For an
anthropologist that would be interesting if you are from the
equivalence school of comparative behavior.

Jim

Thitherflit wrote:
> On the other hand, I would say that *many* Japanese are *conscious* of
> that gesture as a Chinese way of expressing thanks, especially when a
> friend pours you tea.
>
> james-henry holland
> hobart and william smith colleges
> geneva, new york

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 26, 7:30 pm, Thitherflit > wrote:
> I've lived in Japan for 6 years, and I'm an anthropologist who is
> interested in issues of body language. Let me assure you that this is
> *not* normal Japanese behavior. Personally, if I were with a Japanese
> who used that gesture, I would read it as them showing off their
> cosmopolitan background. Perhaps that person used to live in a
> country that used that gesture? Hangs out with Chinese people in
> Japan? As a "foreigner" yourself, perhaps he expected you to be more
> aware of the significance of that gesture?
>
> On the other hand, I would say that *many* Japanese are *conscious* of
> that gesture as a Chinese way of expressing thanks, especially when a
> friend pours you tea.
>
> james-henry holland
> hobart and william smith colleges
> geneva, new york

I'd agree with this assessment. I think in general if you do this in
a Japanese restaurant, they are unlikely to know what it means and
will think you want them to stop pouring. I've done this before
(since it's more or less reflex for me) and gotten strange stares
before.

I'd even say this is mostly a Southern Chinese custom. Go north
beyond the Yangtze River and you are not going to find this used very
often.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

MarshalN and Thitherflit wrote:
>> ... Let me assure you that this is
>> *not* normal Japanese behavior. ...
>> Perhaps that person used to live in a
>> country that used that gesture?

I just asked a co-worker who knows him much better, and who doesn't
think he's been posted to Cina for any length of time.

>> As a "foreigner" yourself, perhaps he expected you to be more
>> aware of the significance of that gesture?

Or perhaps he was letting me know that my "Mo ippai kudasai" and "Iie,
kekko desu" were as off-target as Chinese in that elegant Japanese
restaurant.

> I'd agree with this assessment. I think in general if you do this in
> a Japanese restaurant, they are unlikely to know what it means and
> will think you want them to stop pouring.

Guess I'll just have to ask the guy next time we meet informally.

Thanks-

DM
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 25, 1:42 pm, DogMa > wrote:
> Many of us are familiar with the Chinese practice of tapping fingers on
> the table to signify thanks, as after the pouring of tea or other
> beverages. Likewise, the alleged beginnings of this practice as a covert
> way to honor an emperor traveling incognito.
>
> I recently had dinner with a Japanese business executive who did this.
> Despite several weeks' travel in Japan on four occasions, I hadn't
> previously noticed its use by Japanese. Is this a common practice in
> Japan that I just never noticed? Where else is it common? I ask partly
> out of curiosity, and partly to know when the gesture might suit.
>
> Thanks-
>
> DM

I recall reading that the finger tap was a substitute for kowtow when
an emperor was travelling incognito and did not wish to be given away.
Or so the story goes!

Sticky Finger's piedmont Barbecue 0 10-01-2010 04:10 PM
Finger Foods Islands General Cooking 8 03-12-2006 06:07 PM
Applebee's gives the finger Bob (this one) General Cooking 9 02-07-2005 12:39 PM
=Finger Food?= eddy long General Cooking 14 30-03-2005 12:54 AM
what is the nationality or regionality of your favorite cuisine? [email protected] General Cooking 5 07-12-2004 10:51 PM