Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default 300 items, 3 teas.

A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 21, 11:55 am, toci > wrote:
> A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

Two very grand, probably very old, most likely very expensive tongs of
pu-erh
One very large bag of Yunnan Jin-Si Golden Tips

Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 21, 12:55 pm, toci > wrote:
> A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

I suppose tea ware would have to be accounted for as well...
I'd keep a kettle, teapot, strainer, large bag of assam, large bag of
long jing, and a nice china cup. (6)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 21, 8:55 pm, toci > wrote:
> A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

Good one. Iīm traveling light anyway so itīs my old companions:
Tiger Thermos
Titanium kettle and spoon
Strainer
Dragon gaiwan [cup]
Dragon yixing
-
2nd flush Darjeeling
Chameleon Tie Kuan Yin
Dian Hong

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 22, 12:30 am, TeaDave > wrote:
> On Jul 21, 12:55 pm, toci > wrote:
>
> > A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> > our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> > one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

> I suppose tea ware would have to be accounted for as well...
> I'd keep a kettle, teapot, strainer, large bag of assam, large bag of
> long jing, and a nice china cup. (6)

Assam for the morning jolt, long jing for afternoon pleasure? I make
do with sauce pan, strainer, and china mugs. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 22, 5:24 am, wrote:
> On Jul 21, 8:55 pm, toci > wrote:
>
> > A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> > our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> > one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

> Good one. Iīm traveling light anyway so itīs my old companions:
> Tiger Thermos
> Titanium kettle and spoon
> Strainer
> Dragon gaiwan [cup]
> Dragon yixing
> -
> 2nd flush Darjeeling
> Chameleon Tie Kuan Yin
> Dian Hong
>
> Karsten

Have you found a source for your Chameleon Tie Kuan Yin? Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

toci > wrote:
>A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
>our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
>one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

But a package of tea is actually thousands of items, all together in that
bag!

If it were me, I'd probably take a nice stout black China tea and leave
it at that. Maybe also some of the Oriental Beauty. But I could drink
a typical inexpensive keemun or yunnan every day and be happy. Come to
think of it, I do...
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 21, 2:55 pm, toci > wrote:
> A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

Neat idea, I could do it. I am into light (ultralight) backpacking/
hiking so I can manage on very little and make sure every piece has
multiple uses. I use an Olicamp Space saver cup and always bring tea
(Jasmine green, Shui Xian, and Bi Lo chun) no matter how light I'm
going. I boil the water right in the cup on a Snow Peak Giga Power
Titanium stove (about 3 ounces: http://www.rei.com/product/664428).

For the rest of life I'd need a laptop (for TV, music, phone,
entertainment, info, etc.), a pair of good headphones, and not much
else beyond basics like clothes, water, and food.

If I ever get the chance in life I plan on living somewhere in this
manner. Tibet, Bhutan, China, Western Canada, or somewhere similar.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 23, 4:22 pm, toci > wrote:

> Have you found a source for your Chameleon Tie Kuan Yin? Toci

Hi Toci,
nothing even close, but I wonīt give up

BTW: forgot to mention my trusty dented silver pot, had it right in
front of my schnotz, tsk tsk ..

Karsten [Eastfrisean blend in tazza]

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 21, 2:55 pm, toci > wrote:
> A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

I guess it depends upon which 3 tea mountains I'd like to own.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 23, 6:59 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2:55 pm, toci > wrote:
>
> > A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> > our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> > one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

> Neat idea, I could do it. I am into light (ultralight) backpacking/
> hiking so I can manage on very little and make sure every piece has
> multiple uses. I use an Olicamp Space saver cup and always bring tea
> (Jasmine green, Shui Xian, and Bi Lo chun) no matter how light I'm
> going. I boil the water right in the cup on a Snow Peak Giga Power
> Titanium stove (about 3 ounces:http://www.rei.com/product/664428).
>
> For the rest of life I'd need a laptop (for TV, music, phone,
> entertainment, info, etc.), a pair of good headphones, and not much
> else beyond basics like clothes, water, and food.
>
> If I ever get the chance in life I plan on living somewhere in this
> manner. Tibet, Bhutan, China, Western Canada, or somewhere similar.
>
> - Dominic

Hey, a fellow ultralighter.
Dominic, I always tried my best not to get too neurotic gramwise, so
on one side I donīt hesitate trimming the edges of my tiny maps and
waste considerable money on all kinds of ultralite gear to shave off
single grams, on the other hand I donīt leave home without at least
that darn titanium kettle, a Tiger Thermos and a small gaiwan AND some
fine teas. It makes for such better camp life, especially north of the
polar circle. But If I had to pick one, it would be the 1l Thermos -
the best 456 grams on my back. Even with the Thermos Iīm at 6500g net
[w/o food/fuel/water] for 3 seasons. 40 miles a day no problem.
Dominic, welcome to the Himalayas, forget about Tibet and Bhutan, to
mucho restrictions these days, but in northern India and Nepal, you
can walk wherever you want - no fences and stuff. Almost the same in
Norway, Sweden and Iceland !!! - wonderful places.

Happy trails - back to tea
Karsten [some Keemun in tazza]

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 23, 4:03 pm, wrote:
> On Jul 23, 6:59 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>

> > On Jul 21, 2:55 pm, toci > wrote:

> > > A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> > > our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> > > one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

> > Neat idea, I could do it. I am into light (ultralight) backpacking/
> > hiking so I can manage on very little and make sure every piece has
> > multiple uses. I use an Olicamp Space saver cup and always bring tea
> > (Jasmine green, Shui Xian, and Bi Lo chun) no matter how light I'm
> > going. I boil the water right in the cup on a Snow Peak Giga Power
> > Titanium stove (about 3 ounces:http://www.rei.com/product/664428).

> > For the rest of life I'd need a laptop (for TV, music, phone,
> > entertainment, info, etc.), a pair of good headphones, and not much
> > else beyond basics like clothes, water, and food.

> > If I ever get the chance in life I plan on living somewhere in this
> > manner. Tibet, Bhutan, China, Western Canada, or somewhere similar.

> > - Dominic

> Hey, a fellow ultralighter.
> Dominic, I always tried my best not to get too neurotic gramwise, so
> on one side I donīt hesitate trimming the edges of my tiny maps and
> waste considerable money on all kinds of ultralite gear to shave off
> single grams, on the other hand I donīt leave home without at least
> that darn titanium kettle, a Tiger Thermos and a small gaiwan AND some
> fine teas. It makes for such better camp life, especially north of the
> polar circle. But If I had to pick one, it would be the 1l Thermos -
> the best 456 grams on my back. Even with the Thermos Iīm at 6500g net
> [w/o food/fuel/water] for 3 seasons. 40 miles a day no problem.
> Dominic, welcome to the Himalayas, forget about Tibet and Bhutan, to
> mucho restrictions these days, but in northern India and Nepal, you
> can walk wherever you want - no fences and stuff. Almost the same in
> Norway, Sweden and Iceland !!! - wonderful places.
>
> Happy trails - back to tea
> Karsten [some Keemun in tazza]

Hey cool, whodathunk! Yeah I'm not a freak with weight, I actually
like to be creative and get as many uses from one item. Like the
straps of my pack... I pulled out the foam and instead stuff them with
my spare socks/underware/bandana/etc. It isn't about shaving the few
oz.'s but just about being smart.

Yeah Bhutan is very restrictive, but I'd still like to go. Bergen,
Norway is on my list of places to visit before I die just because it
rains there all the time and I love the rain.

I carry a full load for 2-3 days in a small daypack that is only 11in.
wide by 14in. tall by 5 in deep. Tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating
mat, food/water, clothes, 1st aid, etc. Again not by spending
thousands like many do but with about $300 total! And tons of people
with the $2000+ setups are always jealous of my little kit.

Yeah, it's off tea but I never thought I'd find another UL hiker here
of all places!

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 23, 10:24 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:

> Hey cool, whodathunk! Yeah I'm not a freak with weight, I actually
> like to be creative and get as many uses from one item.

Yeah me too, I sewed/built/modified a lot of the stuff myself and there
īs a huge test lab just outside.

> Like the straps of my pack... I pulled out the foam and instead stuff them with
> my spare socks/underware/bandana/etc. It isn't about shaving the few
> oz.'s but just about being smart.

Good one, I really have to try that on my next trip.

> Yeah Bhutan is very restrictive, but I'd still like to go. Bergen,
> Norway is on my list of places to visit before I die just because it
> rains there all the time and I love the rain.

Whooohoo, a man after my own heart
Many folks agree though that the further you move up north, the better
it gets. The Lofoten islands are beyond description, and the whole
country between the Lofotens and the northern coast, well donīt miss
it.

> I carry a full load for 2-3 days in a small daypack that is only 11in.
> wide by 14in. tall by 5 in deep. Tent, sleeping bag, self-inflating
> mat, food/water, clothes, 1st aid, etc. Again not by spending
> thousands like many do but with about $300 total!

Yeah, thatīs how I like it myself in the Himalayas, but thereīs no way
doing it the "Ray-Way" in northern Scandinavia. The weather can get
very nasty in no time without warning. Last time in northern Norway I
celebrated my first close encounter with critical hypothermia with
300g of chocolate and a gallon of tea afterwards. It was late May,
around 6 degrees C and one of those typical situations where you donīt
expect it too happen.

> And tons of people with the $2000+ setups are always jealous of my little kit.

Iīve seen some people with $$$ gear and no idea how to ... in the
woods.
Just have a look at their shoes, often thatīs all it needs. Around 2/3
of the fellow "trekkers" I met in the Himalayas wear brandnew mtn.
boots with less than say 20 miles under their soles and yes - it HAS
to be Everest base camp, what else.

> Yeah, it's off tea but I never thought I'd find another UL hiker here
> of all places.

Neither did I.
??? knows when I can return "home" to Darjeeling, I really need to
work for a while now and collect some $$ to return for an extended
period and then itīll be beautiful Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
Canīt wait.

Karsten [Eastfriesean blend in tazza]

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

toci wrote:
> A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

The tea itself is not really a posession. It's a consumable. That
falls into the same category as food, and is exempt from the 300 Item
rule.

At least so say I. :-)

AP

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 2, 4:38 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> toci wrote:
> > A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> > our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> > one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

> The tea itself is not really a posession. It's a consumable. That
> falls into the same category as food, and is exempt from the 300 Item
> rule.
>
> At least so say I. :-)
>
> AP

On another group, I've got two people arguing that a library (maybe
1000 books) is just one item. Toci

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Aug 2, 6:11 am, toci > wrote:
> On Aug 2, 4:38 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
>
> > toci wrote:
> > > A woman through MSM has suggested we simplify our lives by limiting
> > > our ownership to 300 items. I believe I'd allocate 3 items for tea,
> > > one Assam, one Ceylon, and one Sencha. What would others do? Toci

> > The tea itself is not really a posession. It's a consumable. That
> > falls into the same category as food, and is exempt from the 300 Item
> > rule.

> > At least so say I. :-)

> > AP

> On another group, I've got two people arguing that a library (maybe
> 1000 books) is just one item. Toci

Well, I have most of my technical books in eBook (PDF) format all on
my laptop's hard drive so I have roughly 2,000 books all encompassed
in one item Plus any of my audiobooks, movies, entire music
library, and some regular texts. All in about 4lbs. and a 14" x 12" x
1.5" package.

I'd use almost all of the remaining 299 on tea beyond the basics and
have a pretty happy life.

- Dominic