FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Milan Scented Liu-An Black (Red) (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/129206-milan-scented-liu-black.html)

Shen[_2_] 18-07-2007 10:10 PM

Milan Scented Liu-An Black (Red)

Hello, everyone,
A while ago I posted a query regarding a red tea I had purchased in
Oakland Chinatown with weird little, teeny-weeny yellow seed-like
things in it. I hadn't a clue what they were.
Yesterday, arrives a box from Jing's. Actually, a replacement box
since two never seemed to get to Berkeley.
It was, of course, full of exciting pu-erhs;but, the real treat was
this small packet of Miulan Scented Black Aged Anhui Liu-An that Jing
and Sebastien had scented themselves.
Needless to say, I was really thrilled that at long last, I recognized
this familiar fragrance and flavour and it has a name - Milan Flowers.
The tea itself is old (1995), an Anhui Liu-An Basket. It has robust
chi and lingers on the palate with a fierce numbing that is tempered
by the orange-blossom taste of these sweet flowers.
I'm not a flowers with tea fan; but, I must say this is some tea.
Fatigue caused me to let the cup sit for a while and cool down. It's
remarkable that this tea is actually bolder and more complex cool.
Anyway, if Sebastien has any more available, I'd highly recommend it
for a powerfully floral relief from Jasmine. It does shimmy in the
mouth and then into the spirit with a really courageous chi!
Shen

Space Cowboy 19-07-2007 04:24 PM

Milan Scented Liu-An Black (Red)

I'll assume these are the same characters for Milan meaning honey
orchid. I'll keep an eye out the next time I go to Chinatown. I'm
always looking for dried flowers for my teas.

Jim

Shen[_2_] 19-07-2007 09:32 PM

On Jul 18, 2:10 pm, Shen > wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
> A while ago I posted a query regarding a red tea I had purchased in
> Oakland Chinatown with weird little, teeny-weeny yellow seed-like
> things in it. I hadn't a clue what they were.
> Yesterday, arrives a box from Jing's. Actually, a replacement box
> since two never seemed to get to Berkeley.
> It was, of course, full of exciting pu-erhs;but, the real treat was
> this small packet of Miulan Scented Black Aged Anhui Liu-An that Jing
> and Sebastien had scented themselves.
> Needless to say, I was really thrilled that at long last, I recognized
> this familiar fragrance and flavour and it has a name - Milan Flowers.
> The tea itself is old (1995), an Anhui Liu-An Basket. It has robust
> chi and lingers on the palate with a fierce numbing that is tempered
> by the orange-blossom taste of these sweet flowers.
> I'm not a flowers with tea fan; but, I must say this is some tea.
> Fatigue caused me to let the cup sit for a while and cool down. It's
> remarkable that this tea is actually bolder and more complex cool.
> Anyway, if Sebastien has any more available, I'd highly recommend it
> for a powerfully floral relief from Jasmine. It does shimmy in the
> mouth and then into the spirit with a really courageous chi!
> Shen

This the flower that has a zillion little beige seeds and is a proud
scent and flavour. And actually, the tea itself that I got from Jing's
is an aged green, not black as I presumed.
I think that the Chinatown version, (which was very cheap, btw) was
called "Eight or Ten Treasure Tea".
I think it may have been the power of the aged tea that made Jing's
version so perfect.
Shen