Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

Default Espresso green tea

I got a new coffee making machine the other day - it was very nice and
cheap at Clicks. It works a treat making double espressos.

I'm very fond of green tea. I also know that it should be treated
gently, you shouldn't use boiling water, for example, only water just
getting to the boil. Mostly, these days, I make it by putting a green
tea bag into a litre of cold water and leaving it in the 'fridge for
about 24 hours - it steeps and produces a very pleasant cold drink.

Just for fun, I've tried going to the opposite extreme. I've used the
espresso machine to make green tea. It's pretty impressively powerful
stuff that comes out. Even put in with a litre of water as cold green
tea it still is very strong - but tasty.

I was just wondering if any of the beneficent stuff in the green tea
survives this treatment. Also, you might like to try it - it is quite
an experience!

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

> I was just wondering if any of the beneficent stuff in the green tea
> survives this treatment. Also, you might like to try it - it is quite
> an experience!

I am not an organic chemist or anything (know nothing about beneficent
stuff in the tea), but whenever I use water that is too hot to make my
green tea, the tea always comes out with a scalded, bitter taste to
it. I really can't see the water temp doing much for the flavor of
the tea, but if it really comes out with something you like, go for
it.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 8, 10:10 am, Mydnight > wrote:
> > I was just wondering if any of the beneficent stuff in the green tea
> > survives this treatment. Also, you might like to try it - it is quite
> > an experience!

> I am not an organic chemist or anything (know nothing about beneficent
> stuff in the tea), but whenever I use water that is too hot to make my
> green tea, the tea always comes out with a scalded, bitter taste to
> it. I really can't see the water temp doing much for the flavor of
> the tea, but if it really comes out with something you like, go for
> it.

I know what you mean by the scalded, bitter taste - which can have
echoes of an over-stewed taste. It doesn't seem to have this with the
espresso method. All I can think is that the steam gets the extract
out before it can think about scalding - and it cools pretty quickly
as it drips into the container below.

I'll get some fresh green tea today and try a comparison - if I dilute
the espresso tea enough, it'll give a chance to check on the scalding.

I wonder if you could infuse green tea in cold alcohol - green tea
vodka might be nice. Anybody tried this?

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

> I wonder if you could infuse green tea in cold alcohol - green tea
> vodka might be nice. Anybody tried this?

Well, somebody has already tried bacon vodka, so I suppose green tea
vodka couldn't be any worse.

As far as making tea with an espresso machine goes, I've tried it as
well, and the result was drinkable. My experiment with black tea
produced something reminescent of tea, but slightly more concentrated,
and without the finer nuances. Personally I've decided that the
waiting for the water to boil and brewing the tea enhances the
experience, so I've not repeated the experiment.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 8, 8:11 pm, TeaDave > wrote:
> > I wonder if you could infuse green tea in cold alcohol - green tea
> > vodka might be nice. Anybody tried this?

> Well, somebody has already tried bacon vodka, so I suppose green tea
> vodka couldn't be any worse.
>
> As far as making tea with an espresso machine goes, I've tried it as
> well, and the result was drinkable. My experiment with black tea
> produced something reminescent of tea, but slightly more concentrated,
> and without the finer nuances. Personally I've decided that the
> waiting for the water to boil and brewing the tea enhances the
> experience, so I've not repeated the experiment.

I'll be interested to see if I can find out how espresso green tea
compares with the standard sort chemically.

I'm not sure that I'm that keen on bacon vodka - though I do like
bacon (what normal human being doesn't!).

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

> I wonder if you could infuse green tea in cold alcohol - green tea
> vodka might be nice. Anybody tried this?

I had tea that brewed for a year or so in Chinese rice wine mostly at
room temp and it was pretty bitter stuff. Vodka would be more
forgiving because of the more mellow flavor; especially if kept cool.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Peter

I was just curious to where you are sourcing or buying your green tea
and what kind is it. Reason I ask is that I have visited south africa
many times and the highest quality of tea have seen is the twinings
tea bags . I am not sure if you have access to some nice quality loose
leaf tea. A really good way to make a refreshing drink is to put some
jasmine tea leaves (or your favourite leaves) in a bottle of sparkling
water and leave it over night, makes a really nice cool drink. Good
luck, remember one thing that tea in the conventioanl tea bag is
generally poor quality fannings, good luck with your experiments

maurice

www.tea-junction.com

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 8, 4:26 am, "Peter H.M. Brooks" >
wrote:
> I wonder if you could infuse green tea in cold alcohol - green tea
> vodka might be nice. Anybody tried this?

I've had this stuff:
http://www.modernspiritsvodka.com/products_classic.html

It's very good. They use three different kinds of tea, and I think we
can assume that it's not top grade. I was told that they infuse it
for about 8 weeks.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 8, 4:26 am, "Peter H.M. Brooks"
> I wonder if you could infuse green tea in cold alcohol - green tea
> vodka might be nice. Anybody tried this?

Just this past Saturday I found a 6-pack of a new drink by Smirnoff
called "Raw Tea" Green Tea. It is a malt liquor type drink and not all
that enjoyable. It isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but nowhere
near something I could sit and drink all night. It is naturally brewed
green tea (or so they say) but the alcohol is just too strong a flavor
for a delicate green tea. They have another that is a peach black tea,
I may try it too just to say I have.

- Dominic

P.S. I have to say I cringed twice even thinking about espresso-ing
green tea. Glad you enjoy it though.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

I've come across some good tasting teas in teabags. The real problem
is finding one that you like. I always brew mine in a pot.
Ironically I don't find them all that convenient. I think another
general problem is they can impart their own taste especially if a
bleached bag. I've always got China oolong teabags handy. I'll drink
any grade BOP or bigger off the top in a cup in lieu of a teabag.
Nothing wrong with sucking down some fiber with your tea.

Jim

PS The new radio Lipton white tea commercial sounds like the Snapple
white tea commercial ie young buds full of antioxidents. They admit
the taste is so delicate they added a taste of raspberry.

magicleaf wrote:
> Hi Peter
>
> I was just curious to where you are sourcing or buying your green tea
> and what kind is it. Reason I ask is that I have visited south africa
> many times and the highest quality of tea have seen is the twinings
> tea bags . I am not sure if you have access to some nice quality loose
> leaf tea. A really good way to make a refreshing drink is to put some
> jasmine tea leaves (or your favourite leaves) in a bottle of sparkling
> water and leave it over night, makes a really nice cool drink. Good
> luck, remember one thing that tea in the conventioanl tea bag is
> generally poor quality fannings, good luck with your experiments
>
> maurice
>
> www.tea-junction.com

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

"magicleaf" > wrote in message

> Hi Peter

> I was just curious to where you are sourcing or buying your green tea
> and what kind is it. Reason I ask is that I have visited south africa
> many times and the highest quality of tea have seen is the twinings
> tea bags . I am not sure if you have access to some nice quality loose
> leaf tea. A really good way to make a refreshing drink is to put some
> jasmine tea leaves (or your favourite leaves) in a bottle of sparkling
> water and leave it over night, makes a really nice cool drink. Good
> luck, remember one thing that tea in the conventioanl tea bag is
> generally poor quality fannings, good luck with your experiments

In Johannesburg we have a speciality food store called "Thrupps" where one
can access good quality tea. Green tea is also freely available in Chinese
speciality stores and in health food stores. Quality varies.

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

Peter H.M. Brooks > wrote:
>On Jul 8, 8:11 pm, TeaDave > wrote:
>> > I wonder if you could infuse green tea in cold alcohol - green tea
>> > vodka might be nice. Anybody tried this?

>> Well, somebody has already tried bacon vodka, so I suppose green tea
>> vodka couldn't be any worse.
>>
>> As far as making tea with an espresso machine goes, I've tried it as
>> well, and the result was drinkable. My experiment with black tea
>> produced something reminescent of tea, but slightly more concentrated,
>> and without the finer nuances. Personally I've decided that the
>> waiting for the water to boil and brewing the tea enhances the
>> experience, so I've not repeated the experiment.
>>

>I'll be interested to see if I can find out how espresso green tea
>compares with the standard sort chemically.

Steam extraction will remove heavier molecules that don't go into solution
in boiling water as easily. That's why espresso tastes so different than
conventionally-made coffee.

I would bet that a drop of tea dripped on a piece of filter paper and stood
up in a cup of water would allow you to do some crude chromatography just
to see the difference between the two. Spraying a pH indicator on the
paper (even something like phenolpthalein from the hardware store's soil
test kit) would let you see some variations.
--scott
Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 9, 7:54 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Peter H.M. Brooks > wrote:

> >> Well, somebody has already tried bacon vodka, so I suppose green tea
> >> vodka couldn't be any worse.

> >> As far as making tea with an espresso machine goes, I've tried it as
> >> well, and the result was drinkable. My experiment with black tea
> >> produced something reminescent of tea, but slightly more concentrated,
> >> and without the finer nuances. Personally I've decided that the
> >> waiting for the water to boil and brewing the tea enhances the
> >> experience, so I've not repeated the experiment.

> >I'll be interested to see if I can find out how espresso green tea
> >compares with the standard sort chemically.

> Steam extraction will remove heavier molecules that don't go into solution
> in boiling water as easily. That's why espresso tastes so different than
> conventionally-made coffee.
>
> I would bet that a drop of tea dripped on a piece of filter paper and stood
> up in a cup of water would allow you to do some crude chromatography just
> to see the difference between the two. Spraying a pH indicator on the
> paper (even something like phenolpthalein from the hardware store's soil
> test kit) would let you see some variations.

That's a good idea, I might try it, for fun. The left over
phenolpthalein might be handy too....

Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.drink.tea

On Jul 9, 2:52 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:

> P.S. I have to say I cringed twice even thinking about espresso-ing
> green tea. Glad you enjoy it though.

If I'd have heard about it before trying it, I'd have cringed thrice.

As it was, with the new machine sitting there and a large stash of
green tea in the cupboard, it was only a matter of time before I tried
it.

I've a project on the back-burner to make grenadine when I can get the
materials. I might see how the espresso machine works with that.

I'm also wondering if there might be some mileage in making a powerful
chocolate drink - it might just gum up the works, though.