Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default wrapping paper (for tea)

Greetings,
I have a few cakes/bricks on which the original wrapper has perished
somewhat. Is there anything that I shouldn't be using as a replacement ?

I think I should use something porous of course, but should I avoid bleached
and use something like acid free tissue paper (typically sold for wrapping
gifts)?. What about clean kitchen paper towel ?

Some of these teas I intend keeping for a while.

Is there even somewhere I can buy the same type of paper ?

TIA

Cheers
Mal
Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Is there even somewhere I can buy the same type of paper ?
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers
> Mal
> Oz

Acid free, odor free tissue or wax paper will do. The paper isn't
important so much as the storage conditions. I know of quite a few
people that just have their tea sitting in a dark, dry place on top of
nothing more than a small napkin or piece of wrapping paper and that
seems to be fine.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
ps.com...
>> Is there even somewhere I can buy the same type of paper ?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mal
>> Oz

> Acid free, odor free tissue or wax paper will do. The paper isn't
> important so much as the storage conditions. I know of quite a few
> people that just have their tea sitting in a dark, dry place on top of
> nothing more than a small napkin or piece of wrapping paper and that
> seems to be fine.

Ok that's food for thought. I wouldn't normally worry too much about the
paper just the cupboard I store my tea in is not air-tight and I have
noticed a few little critters starting to make themselves at home in the
corners - mainly very small spiders. I want to keep them away from the tea.
Whilst probably harmless, I don't fancy brewing up a tea that a spider may
have defecated on ;-)

Thanks.

Cheers
Mal
Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Actually, if your area isn't too humid, you might want to consider
getting one of those thick paper used for chinese calligraphy. Of the
papers I've used, one of the good ones are those they use to wrap
items in when you buy clothes from the stores...like those used in
Country Road, or Katies...

Danny

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'd use cheesecloth over paper. I'd also consider cotton cloth and
nylon. Maybe even silk. Those small pizza boxes are the perfect fit.

Jim

Mal from Oz wrote:
> Greetings,
> I have a few cakes/bricks on which the original wrapper has perished
> somewhat. Is there anything that I shouldn't be using as a replacement ?
>
> I think I should use something porous of course, but should I avoid bleached
> and use something like acid free tissue paper (typically sold for wrapping
> gifts)?. What about clean kitchen paper towel ?
>
> Some of these teas I intend keeping for a while.
>
> Is there even somewhere I can buy the same type of paper ?
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers
> Mal
> Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 26, 5:34 am, wrote:
> Actually, if your area isn't too humid, you might want to consider
> getting one of those thick paper used for chinese calligraphy. Of the
> papers I've used, one of the good ones are those they use to wrap
> items in when you buy clothes from the stores...like those used in
> Country Road, or Katies...
>
> Danny

I too have had great results with calligraphy paper. You can buy it by
the roll and it doesnt need to be a high end brand, economical brands
will do. Cotton tissue paper and unbleached coffee filters also work
well. Cotton cloth bags, the cheap raw ones that you sometimes see
used to pack nuts and bolts, work too.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

I use baking paper and cheese cloth

Phyll

http://phyllsheng.blogspot.com
www.tching.com
Moderator: www.winexiles.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 26, 9:30 pm, Mike Petro > wrote:
> On Jun 26, 5:34 am, wrote:
>
> > Actually, if your area isn't too humid, you might want to consider
> > getting one of those thick paper used for chinese calligraphy. Of the
> > papers I've used, one of the good ones are those they use to wrap
> > items in when you buy clothes from the stores...like those used in
> > Country Road, or Katies...

> > Danny

> I too have had great results with calligraphy paper. You can buy it by
> the roll and it doesnt need to be a high end brand, economical brands
> will do. Cotton tissue paper and unbleached coffee filters also work
> well. Cotton cloth bags, the cheap raw ones that you sometimes see
> used to pack nuts and bolts, work too.
>
> Mikehttp://www.pu-erh.net

Yes, calligraphy paper works well. Leaving it out in the sun or
something for an hour or two might also help dispel any weird odors it
might have. Just don't dry the paper out so much that it starts
cracking...

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Actually, if your area isn't too humid, you might want to consider
> getting one of those thick paper used for chinese calligraphy. Of the
> papers I've used, one of the good ones are those they use to wrap
> items in when you buy clothes from the stores...like those used in
> Country Road, or Katies...
>
> Danny

Ah yes, I know it - sometimes called 'butchers paper' here - white, comes in
a large roll.

Excellent, thanks all.

Cheers
Mal
Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 26, 11:50 pm, Phyll > wrote:
> I use baking paper and cheese cloth
>
> Phyll
>
> ----------------------------------------------------http://phyllsheng.blogspot.comwww.tching.com
> Moderator:www.winexiles.com

Baking paper. I used that once, till I realize that the paper is
almost air proof and not breathable...

Danny

Nori is Plankton Paper, People! Plankton Paper! Plankton Paper!It's not sea"weed" -- Nor a Sea vegetable Rick Nelson Sushi 0 03-06-2006 10:11 PM
saba wrapping? Dan Logcher Sushi 0 23-03-2006 01:09 PM
Wrapping it up Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 12-08-2005 09:37 PM
Wrapping Chocolate Mark Thorson Chocolate 10 21-04-2004 07:31 AM