FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Brewing 101 (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/127321-brewing-101-a.html)

Salsero 24-06-2007 07:16 PM

Brewing 101

Sometimes I find a tea liquor has a stronger sour/acid taste than I
want. This seems to be an issue more often in black teas and shu,
when a too dominant sour note can overwhelm and obscure other tastes.

I know that you can often reduce bitterness by either 1) reducing brew
time or 2) reducing water temp.

Is there a brewing trick that can help reduce sourness or is sourness
just a characteristic of the leaf?

Mydnight 25-06-2007 04:17 PM

Brewing 101

On Jun 25, 2:16 am, Salsero > wrote:
> Sometimes I find a tea liquor has a stronger sour/acid taste than I
> want. This seems to be an issue more often in black teas and shu,
> when a too dominant sour note can overwhelm and obscure other tastes.
>
> I know that you can often reduce bitterness by either 1) reducing brew
> time or 2) reducing water temp.
>
> Is there a brewing trick that can help reduce sourness or is sourness
> just a characteristic of the leaf?

You are getting sour from Shu Pu'er or black teas? Sounds like it
could be a few problems.

Make sure your brewing vessel is clean and without odor. It could be
also that those teas are not "wet stored" and be sure to use clean,
spring water if you can.