Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Low Caffeine Tea

My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
good flavor, but little caffeine?

AP
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

red tea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

steven wrote:
> red tea

Rooibos? Tried it. She doesn't like it.

AP
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 18, 2:51 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
> good flavor, but little caffeine?
>
> AP

It's mostly commonly thought/observed that white tea has the least and
black tea has the most caffeine. white -> green -> oolong -> then
either black or puerh tea.

A lot of sites have a table like the one on http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm
I also found this page (http://nobleharbor.com/tea/caffiene.html)
which thought these figures were all hooey. Try some lighter teas and
if they don't give a bad buzz then stick with them.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Steven Dodd > writes:

> On Jun 18, 2:51 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> > My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
> > good flavor, but little caffeine?
> >
> > AP

> It's mostly commonly thought/observed that white tea has the least and
> black tea has the most caffeine. white -> green -> oolong -> then
> either black or puerh tea.
>
> A lot of sites have a table like the one on
> http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm

Sorry, but that's just folklore.

> I also found this page (http://nobleharbor.com/tea/caffiene.html)
> which thought these figures were all hooey.

Ah, now I feel better.

I apologize for being cranky, but this subject comes up often here,
even though it's been settled on the merits. The short version is:
Don't believe that green or white tea in general has less caffeine,
and don't believe you can extract nearly all caffeine from tea leaves
with a 30-second rinse. It's complicated!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 18, 12:51 am, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
> good flavor, but little caffeine?
>
> AP

Just do a caffeine search in this group and you'll find all the info
you need.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 18, 1:01 am, steven > wrote:
> red tea

Red tea is not tea. It is rooibos. Tea is tea-camillia sinesis. I am
joining Lew in crankidom.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The like of roobois, yerbal mate (I think)and herbal/flower teas have
no caffeine. I have no comments about their favor because I haven't
tried them.

It's also important to look at theanine, caffeine and catechins in
aggregate, they cancel out each other.

I agree with Lewis It IS a complicated subject. Here are some
thoughts:

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...-caffeine.html

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

You can buy teas that have been decaffeinated by the CO2 process.
This is suppose to remove the caffeine only. They taste metallic to
me. You won't get this taste through your own trial and error to
eliminate caffeine through infusions. It does prove how important
caffeine is to the taste of tea.

Jim

Alan Petrillo wrote:
> My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
> good flavor, but little caffeine?
>

> AP

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen > writes:

> On Jun 18, 1:01 am, steven > wrote:
> > red tea

> Red tea is not tea. It is rooibos. Tea is tea-camillia sinesis. I am
> joining Lew in crankidom.

Honored!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > writes:

> You can buy teas that have been decaffeinated by the CO2 process.
> This is suppose to remove the caffeine only. They taste metallic to
> me. You won't get this taste through your own trial and error to
> eliminate caffeine through infusions. It does prove how important
> caffeine is to the taste of tea.

Right, that's a point that's usually overlooked. But caffeine is
bitter, and some of the people who don't like caffeine's
pharmacological effect might have trouble with bitterness, too. Of
course, if you can't stand a certain amount of bitterness, there's
probably a limit to how interested you can become in tea.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Steven Dodd > wrote:

>It's mostly commonly thought/observed that white tea has the least and
>black tea has the most caffeine. white -> green -> oolong -> then
>either black or puerh tea.

Unfortunately this is a hasty generalization with no real fact behind it.
The caffeine in the leaves isn't affected much by processing, so it has
a lot more to do with the particular variety and the soil and weather
conditions than anything else.

>A lot of sites have a table like the one on http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm
>I also found this page (http://nobleharbor.com/tea/caffiene.html)
>which thought these figures were all hooey. Try some lighter teas and
>if they don't give a bad buzz then stick with them.

The figures are all hooey, and the lighter teas may not be any lower in
caffeine. Without measuring, you don't really know, although you can expect
a pre-steep to reduce the caffeine levels somewhat.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 18, 5:51 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
> good flavor, but little caffeine?
>
> AP

Hi Alan,

I sell a Herbal Tea called Dales Tea it is all Herbal check out web :
www.multiherbaltea.blogspot.com/

It is very pleasant to drink but you canno add sugar or milk only abit
o fhoney or lemon.

Hope this can help in any way.

Tina

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

What do they say about the calm before the storm?

-Brent

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 19, 8:28 pm, Brent > wrote:
> What do they say about the calm before the storm?
>
> -Brent

Yep. Here we go again...................

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 19, 7:52 pm, wrote:
> On Jun 18, 5:51 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
>
> > My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
> > good flavor, but little caffeine?

> > AP

> Hi Alan,
>
> I sell a Herbal Tea called Dales Tea it is all Herbal check out web :www.multiherbaltea.blogspot.com/
>
> It is very pleasant to drink but you canno add sugar or milk only abit
> o fhoney or lemon.
>
> Hope this can help in any way.
>
> Tina

Please do not advertise here AND this is not an herbal group. It is a
tea group. Herbal recipes are not tea.
There is no tolerance, at all, for advertising no matter how helpful
your intentions.
Since you have not posted here prior to this, your purpose is quite
obvious. And, had you read postings of this group in the last month or
two, you would realize the unbridled anomosity advertising will
provoke.
I'd advise you duck.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> ... Don't believe that green or white tea in general has less caffeine,
> and don't believe you can extract nearly all caffeine from tea leaves
> with a 30-second rinse. It's complicated!

Yes, rather. May I suggest an alternative approach: find the tea that
offers the most satisfying flavor per gram of dry leaf, and brew it as
weakly as possible. To my taste, some oolongs and most whites give their
peak enjoyment when brewed so lightly that there is little or no color
to the brew. No kick-in-the-teeth flavor, but enough to balance the rich
aroma - right for sipping and sharing, not for bull-drinking.

An analogy is what happened when tobacco companies started selling
low-nicotine cigarettes. Most addicts smoke to a constant blood level of
nicotine (which isn't especially dangerous); getting there with
reduced-nicotine tobacco means inhaling a lot more tar, CO and other bad
stuff. So the health benefit was kind of reversed. In this case, the
opportunity is to achieve sensory satisfaction with the least leaf,
since all have (very roughly) the same extractable percentage of caffeine.

juliantai wrote:
> It's also important to look at theanine, caffeine and catechins in
> aggregate, they cancel out each other.

Err - let's watch the medical generalizations. They don't "cancel each
other out" any more than amphetamines and alcohol; they work together in
partially opposite directions, leaving plenty of side-effects. It may be
true that for some people, there's an overall uniform effect. But people
who are caffeine-sensitive will not be "saved" by those other components.

-DM
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

wrote:
> On Jun 18, 5:51 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
>> My girlfriend likes tea, but has trouble with caffeine. What teas have
>> good flavor, but little caffeine?
>>
>> AP

> Hi Alan,
>
> I sell a Herbal Tea called Dales Tea it is all Herbal check out web :

www.multiherbaltea.blogspot.com/

> It is very pleasant to drink but you canno add sugar or milk only abit
> o fhoney or lemon.
>
> Hope this can help in any way.

I'll look it up, thanks.

AP

Caffeine and someone who should know better Alan Tea 16 04-03-2008 07:27 AM
Tea and caffeine LurfysMa Tea 10 17-04-2007 08:36 PM
Caffeine Rob Tea 2 11-05-2006 01:27 AM
Low caffeine _D Tea 2 27-03-2006 01:35 AM
How much caffeine in Pu-er? Robert Dunbar Tea 16 01-11-2004 01:02 PM