Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default TGY Quandary

Both MarshalN and Hobbes have referred to "nongxiang" tie guan yin in
recent posts. Using Lew's indispensible Babelcarp and a commercial
Chinese wholesaler's website, I think I found a definition or two for
this and two other related terms. Since I don't know Chinese,
however, and since the terms seem specialized, I seek confirmation or
correction of my conclusions, which are as follows:

"Nongxiang" seems to mean "fruity, strong, heavy," or "robust" aroma
literally, but in point of fact refers to a more heavily roasted TGY,
perhaps over an actual fire.

"Qingxiang" seems to mean "clear" or "floral" aroma literally, but
actually designates a lightly oxidized TGY.

"Yunxiang" appears to signify "lingering" aroma, but is applied to TGY
that is oxidized more than the average.

So, firstly, is my understanding of these terms essentially correct?

Second, how formal vs impressionistic are these classifications?
Further, is a lightly oxidized TGY more oxidized than a heavily
oxidixed se zhong? To what extent are these terms reliable
descriptions? Or are they more creations of the inscrutable Chinese
marketing genius?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The three terms I use for roasting levels a Qing-light Zhong-Medium
Nong-Heavy. You'll see them followed by Xiang-Fragrant but more
related to taste than bouquet. I think they're perfectly acceptable
terms when describing oxidation levels of teas in general. However
you will see terms like Pouchong which is a light oxidation of teas
from Taiwan. You'll see terms like Dong Ding which is a light
oxidation of TGY from PRC but more commonly used in ROC. I generally
look at Chinese tea terms in a historical/trade/commercial usage with
no absolute guarantee. If there is any intended misuse of Chinese tea
terms it is in the West.

Jim

PS Yun is my files is a suffix (not a prefix) when describing some
particular 'aftertaste' so I would question your use not knowing more
than I do or the particular character.

Salsero wrote:
> Both MarshalN and Hobbes have referred to "nongxiang" tie guan yin in
> recent posts. Using Lew's indispensible Babelcarp and a commercial
> Chinese wholesaler's website, I think I found a definition or two for
> this and two other related terms. Since I don't know Chinese,
> however, and since the terms seem specialized, I seek confirmation or
> correction of my conclusions, which are as follows:
>
> "Nongxiang" seems to mean "fruity, strong, heavy," or "robust" aroma
> literally, but in point of fact refers to a more heavily roasted TGY,
> perhaps over an actual fire.
>
> "Qingxiang" seems to mean "clear" or "floral" aroma literally, but
> actually designates a lightly oxidized TGY.
>
> "Yunxiang" appears to signify "lingering" aroma, but is applied to TGY
> that is oxidized more than the average.
>
> So, firstly, is my understanding of these terms essentially correct?
>
> Second, how formal vs impressionistic are these classifications?
> Further, is a lightly oxidized TGY more oxidized than a heavily
> oxidixed se zhong? To what extent are these terms reliable
> descriptions? Or are they more creations of the inscrutable Chinese
> marketing genius?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 13, 10:49 am, Salsero > wrote:
> Both MarshalN and Hobbes have referred to "nongxiang" tie guan yin in
> recent posts. Using Lew's indispensible Babelcarp and a commercial
> Chinese wholesaler's website, I think I found a definition or two for
> this and two other related terms. Since I don't know Chinese,
> however, and since the terms seem specialized, I seek confirmation or
> correction of my conclusions, which are as follows:
>
> "Nongxiang" seems to mean "fruity, strong, heavy," or "robust" aroma
> literally, but in point of fact refers to a more heavily roasted TGY,
> perhaps over an actual fire.
>
> "Qingxiang" seems to mean "clear" or "floral" aroma literally, but
> actually designates a lightly oxidized TGY.
>
> "Yunxiang" appears to signify "lingering" aroma, but is applied to TGY
> that is oxidized more than the average.
>
> So, firstly, is my understanding of these terms essentially correct?
>
> Second, how formal vs impressionistic are these classifications?
> Further, is a lightly oxidized TGY more oxidized than a heavily
> oxidixed se zhong? To what extent are these terms reliable
> descriptions? Or are they more creations of the inscrutable Chinese
> marketing genius?

Since I'm one of the culprits you've named...

I think you're largely right with nongxiang vs qingxiang in that they
generally refer to the roasted-ness of the tea. Case in point: a
nongxiang TGY can be bland as hell, and a qingxiang can be very
intense in flavour.

I'm not sure what Yunxiang you're referring to. Nothing rings a bell
in that department. Sure you're not confusing it with something else?

I think these are more impressionistic than formal. A better way to
classify the teas is by "huo", or fire. (light fire), (medium
fire), (heavy fire). Even these change depends on who you talk to,
and truly heavy fired stuff come out quite dark, but properly done,
sweet and lovely. The use of these terms assumes the tea has been
fired at all. Many TGYs these days are not fired.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

The issue rings a bell from my (required) reading of Corax's Cha Dao.
It's not as straightforward as calling every roasted tea a "nong
xiang" or lightly oxidized tea a "qing xiang"...

http://chadao.blogspot.com/2006/11/n...ong-xiang.html

Some simply refer to roasted teas as "hong pei" to denote that the tea
has gone through the roasting or baking process (hong pei).

Phyll

On Jun 12, 7:49 pm, Salsero > wrote:
> Both MarshalN and Hobbes have referred to "nongxiang" tie guan yin in
> recent posts. Using Lew's indispensible Babelcarp and a commercial
> Chinese wholesaler's website, I think I found a definition or two for
> this and two other related terms. Since I don't know Chinese,
> however, and since the terms seem specialized, I seek confirmation or
> correction of my conclusions, which are as follows:
>
> "Nongxiang" seems to mean "fruity, strong, heavy," or "robust" aroma
> literally, but in point of fact refers to a more heavily roasted TGY,
> perhaps over an actual fire.
>
> "Qingxiang" seems to mean "clear" or "floral" aroma literally, but
> actually designates a lightly oxidized TGY.
>
> "Yunxiang" appears to signify "lingering" aroma, but is applied to TGY
> that is oxidized more than the average.
>
> So, firstly, is my understanding of these terms essentially correct?
>
> Second, how formal vs impressionistic are these classifications?
> Further, is a lightly oxidized TGY more oxidized than a heavily
> oxidixed se zhong? To what extent are these terms reliable
> descriptions? Or are they more creations of the inscrutable Chinese
> marketing genius?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 13, 10:49 am, Salsero > wrote:
> Both MarshalN and Hobbes have referred to "nongxiang" tie guan yin in
> recent posts. Using Lew's indispensible Babelcarp and a commercial
> Chinese wholesaler's website, I think I found a definition or two for
> this and two other related terms. Since I don't know Chinese,
> however, and since the terms seem specialized, I seek confirmation or
> correction of my conclusions, which are as follows:
>
> "Nongxiang" seems to mean "fruity, strong, heavy," or "robust" aroma
> literally, but in point of fact refers to a more heavily roasted TGY,
> perhaps over an actual fire.
>
> "Qingxiang" seems to mean "clear" or "floral" aroma literally, but
> actually designates a lightly oxidized TGY.
>
> "Yunxiang" appears to signify "lingering" aroma, but is applied to TGY
> that is oxidized more than the average.
>
> So, firstly, is my understanding of these terms essentially correct?
>
> Second, how formal vs impressionistic are these classifications?
> Further, is a lightly oxidized TGY more oxidized than a heavily
> oxidixed se zhong? To what extent are these terms reliable
> descriptions? Or are they more creations of the inscrutable Chinese
> marketing genius?

Nong means strong or strong flavored; Xiang is something related to
scent. If someone says something is "xiang" it means it smells good.
Nongxiang just means TGY that has been roasted fully.

The distinction comes in the roasting.