Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Bubble tea experiment

I have no idea why, but I really like bubble tea. There I said it A
few days ago I took a trip to State College where there is a great out
of the way restaurant called "The Big Bowl" which has some amazing
noodle soups and top-shelf bubble tea, and they were closed due to a
graduation. I had been tasting it during the drive, so dejection was
an understatement. The next day I went about making my own and doing
some experimentation. I figured I'd share some of my findings:

I bought the tapioca pearls and bubble tea straws for less than $3
total at an Asian market in Pittsburgh.

My first attempt was with a really good Assam I had hanging around. I
brewed it a bit stronger than if I had been intending to drink it as
is, maybe 5-7 minutes. Then I made the sugar syrup mixture with 1 part
white sugar, 1 part brown sugar, 2 parts water. I used a 1/4 cup each
of the sugar and 1/2 cup of water. Then disregarding the super long
cooking instructions for the tapioca I just put some pearls in a
bigger mug, poured in some of the extra boiling water and stuck in in
the microwave for about 2 minutes, then let it stand for another 5 or
so while I got everything together. I used a little less than a 1/4
cup of organic skim milk, and about 6-8tsp sugar syrup, ice, about 2
cups of tea, and then added the pearls. It came out great.

Using quality tea and good tapioca pearls makes a huge difference over
standard fare bubble tea. I stopped short of Pu-erh, but Keemun,
Yunnan tipped, Chinese restaurant blend, oriental beauty, and a sencha/
matcha blend all were awesome as well.

Then I found you can buy the small strips of young coconut meat which
are used in the drinks that are similar to bubble tea but more fruity
juice based (and no tapioca). Strawberry sencha, Mango white, Lychee
juice, and sassafrass black tea all worked really well.

So who knows, if anyone finds it helpful, great. As someone who hates
the thought of milk or sugar in my tea for the most part, bubble tea
is a big stretch for me but I can't help my addiction Now that I
can satisfy my craving without the trips or cost I'm pretty happy, but
I'm sure there are still plenty of "Big Bowls" ahead of me no matter
what.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

All the bubble tea shoppes in my area have closed up. I can still get
it at two grocery store counters one by the duck rack and fish in the
other. You didn't say if you got the white or black tapioca. It took
me once or twice after sloshing myself to figure out which end of the
straw is used to perforate the pastic cap that comes served in a soda
drink cup. I like bubble tea on hot days and chai on cold when I'm
about if I can find it. I'd drink more if I wasn't too lazy making
either myself.

Jim

Dominic T. wrote:
> I have no idea why, but I really like bubble tea. There I said it

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 11, 11:11 am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> All the bubble tea shoppes in my area have closed up. I can still get
> it at two grocery store counters one by the duck rack and fish in the
> other. You didn't say if you got the white or black tapioca. It took
> me once or twice after sloshing myself to figure out which end of the
> straw is used to perforate the pastic cap that comes served in a soda
> drink cup. I like bubble tea on hot days and chai on cold when I'm
> about if I can find it. I'd drink more if I wasn't too lazy making
> either myself.
>
> Jim

I used the black tapioca, but the nice thing is that they are
"rubbery" out of the package so they do not take as long to become
soft. Honestly from beginning to end may have taken 7-10 minutes to
make everything and be sipping away... with the blunt end of the
straw Subsequent cups took about 30 seconds to mix up. Super easy
and quick, now I just have to figure out how to adhere a thin plastic
sheet to the top of my cup so I can get the full experience.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The white ones disintegrate. You're not alone with the winking beady
black eyes in the milk. I remember it was the cling film that makes a
mess with the wrong end of the straw. My wife switched from dairy
milk to soy about five years ago. I really like the creamy texture
and the taste. Chill that stuff down and it is like a shake. She
drinks her tea loaded with soy so maybe I can get her to go out of the
way.

Jim

Dominic T. wrote:
> On Jun 11, 11:11 am, Space Cowboy > wrote:

....I delete me...
> I used the black tapioca, but the nice thing is that they are
> "rubbery" out of the package so they do not take as long to become
> soft. Honestly from beginning to end may have taken 7-10 minutes to
> make everything and be sipping away... with the blunt end of the
> straw Subsequent cups took about 30 seconds to mix up. Super easy
> and quick, now I just have to figure out how to adhere a thin plastic
> sheet to the top of my cup so I can get the full experience.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 11, 6:42 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Jun 11, 11:11 am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
>
> > All the bubble tea shoppes in my area have closed up. I can still get
> > it at two grocery store counters one by the duck rack and fish in the
> > other. You didn't say if you got the white or black tapioca. It took
> > me once or twice after sloshing myself to figure out which end of the
> > straw is used to perforate the pastic cap that comes served in a soda
> > drink cup. I like bubble tea on hot days and chai on cold when I'm
> > about if I can find it. I'd drink more if I wasn't too lazy making
> > either myself.

> > Jim

> I used the black tapioca, but the nice thing is that they are
> "rubbery" out of the package so they do not take as long to become
> soft. Honestly from beginning to end may have taken 7-10 minutes to
> make everything and be sipping away... with the blunt end of the
> straw Subsequent cups took about 30 seconds to mix up. Super easy
> and quick, now I just have to figure out how to adhere a thin plastic
> sheet to the top of my cup so I can get the full experience.
>
> - Dominic

Ever heard about "teh tarek", the malaysian version ?
One more reason I spend half my time in Asia hanging out in tea
stalls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5iAx5TDyc

Enjoy,
Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Ever heard about "teh tarek", the malaysian version ?
> One more reason I spend half my time in Asia hanging out in tea
> stalls.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5iAx5TDyc
>
> Enjoy,
> Karsten

No, I had never heard or seen this before... pretty neat. Can you
explain what it is made up of? Type of tea, milk, sugar, etc. Seems
easy enough to do but I'm sure there is a slight learning curve to the
"pulling."

I only wish Americans could realize that a little effort and some
interactivity makes things more fun and lively instead of just queuing
up and being filed through like cattle in sterile chain shops... and
the workers would probably have a bit more enjoyment in life too... or
just claim they need to unionize due to the huge "demands" of the job.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> No, I had never heard or seen this before... pretty neat. Can you
> explain what it is made up of? Type of tea, milk, sugar, etc. Seems
> easy enough to do but I'm sure there is a slight learning curve to the
> "pulling."

Let me see, first of all it´s Boh tea, the standard in Malaysia. [I´ve
visited their estates a couple times, breathtakingly wonderful area,
beautiful gardens, but I didn´t like their teas, which doesn´t say too
much.]
Then you´ll need this special south-east asian type of thick,
ultrasweet condensed milk.All asian food stores should have it. Get
two pulling vessels, prepare a pretty strong brew [I´d say around
~18-20g tea/l H2O], add around 20-30 % condensed milk and start
pulling.
As can be seen in that video the lower jar has a larger diameter than
the upper one. The ratio of diameters helps in telling a novice from
an expert. I´ve seen guys in Penang doing it between two standard
teacups without spilling a single drop, I wouldn´t necessarily try
this back home.
Some folks might even add a little sugar, but after a teaspoon full
your spoon might get stuck in the resulting goo.
BTW: Malaysians enjoy their kopi or teh tarik with a plate of roti
canai.
Have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EucCu1zafk

Karsten

> I only wish Americans could realize that a little effort and some
> interactivity makes things more fun and lively instead of just queuing
> up and being filed through like cattle in sterile chain shops... and
> the workers would probably have a bit more enjoyment in life too... or
> just claim they need to unionize due to the huge "demands" of the job.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Silly me wrote:
> [I´d say around > ~18-20g tea/l H2O],

Tsk, tsk, this has just been superficially calculated in an arbitrary
and hitherto undocumented DJ FF mode.
Sorry for any casualties.
"Pretty strong" should do the trick.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 13, 12:48 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Those Malaysians aren't using first flush Darjeeling to float their
> tapioca pearls, are they?

Not exactly Lew, in Malaysia it´s Boh, Boh, Boh, wherever you go.
Whatever I tried from that company, I´d always prefer something like a
Dilmah teabag.
Interestingly both areas, DJ and the Cameron Highlands are former
british hill stations and I´ve yet to figure out what exactly attracts
me to those colonial places, my british pipes and tobaccos, Kipling
and so forth.
Despite being a little obsessed with traveling light, I wouldn´t move
an inch without my bloody silver teapot
Regarding the birtplace of my recent incarnation something must have
gone terribly wrong, by jove.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 13, 12:48 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Those Malaysians aren't using first flush Darjeeling to float their
> tapioca pearls, are they?

Not exactly Lew, in Malaysia it´s Boh, Boh, Boh, wherever you go.
Whatever I tried from that company, I´d always prefer something like a
Dilmah teabag.
Interestingly both areas, DJ and the Cameron Highlands are former
british hill stations and I´ve yet to figure out what exactly attracts
me to those colonial places, my british pipes and tobaccos, Kipling
and so forth.
Despite being a little obsessed with traveling light, I wouldn´t move
an inch without my bloody silver teapot
Regarding the birtplace of my recent incarnation something must have
gone terribly wrong, by jove.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 13, 12:48 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Those Malaysians aren't using first flush Darjeeling to float their
> tapioca pearls, are they?

Not exactly Lew, in Malaysia it´s Boh, Boh, Boh, wherever you go.
Whatever I tried from that company, I´d always prefer something like a
Dilmah teabag.
Interestingly both areas, DJ and the Cameron Highlands are former
british hill stations and I´ve yet to figure out what exactly attracts
me to those colonial places, my british pipes and tobaccos, Kipling
and so forth.
Despite being a little obsessed with traveling light, I wouldn´t move
an inch without my bloody silver teapot
Regarding the birtplace of my recent incarnation something must have
gone terribly wrong, by jove.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> No, I had never heard or seen this before... pretty neat. Can you
> explain what it is made up of? Type of tea, milk, sugar, etc. Seems
> easy enough to do but I'm sure there is a slight learning curve to the
> "pulling."

Let me see, first of all it´s Boh tea, the standard in Malaysia. [I´ve
visited their estates a couple times, breathtakingly wonderful area,
beautiful gardens, but I didn´t like their teas, which doesn´t say too
much.]
Then you´ll need this special south-east asian type of thick,
ultrasweet condensed milk.All asian food stores should have it. Get
two pulling vessels, prepare a pretty strong brew [I´d say around
~18-20g tea/l H2O], add around 20-30 % condensed milk and start
pulling.
As can be seen in that video the lower jar has a larger diameter than
the upper one. The ratio of diameters helps in telling a novice from
an expert. I´ve seen guys in Penang doing it between two standard
teacups without spilling a single drop, I wouldn´t necessarily try
this back home.
Some folks might even add a little sugar, but after a teaspoon full
your spoon might get stuck in the resulting goo.
BTW: Malaysians enjoy their kopi or teh tarik with a plate of roti
canai.
Have a look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EucCu1zafk

Karsten

Mmmmmm, Boh...love it. I'll have to try this, thanks Karsten!

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 14, 9:27 am, "Melinda" > wrote:

> Mmmmmm, Boh...love it. I'll have to try this, thanks Karsten!
> Melinda

Hmm, what I found most surprising is that this sweeet, thick and hot
brew worked for me in that hot and humid Malaysian climate, like the
infamous, ubiquitous "Coffeemix" [instant 3 in 1] of Burma. Anywhere
else in that part of the world I´d be looking for lukewarm greens or
H2O to cool my ailing mainframe.

Lew, regarding my next reincarnation tantric buddhism provides a list
of interesting options to help dealing with the posttraumatic
experience of taking the Boddhisatva vow. However, no word of tea or
toback.
Looks like some more sleepless nights ahead.

Karsten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

bubble tea

I thought it's a dangerous beverage when you find yourself desperate
trying to suck those balls with the oversized straw after the tea's
long gone. Them pearls could get stuck in your wind pipe.

Phyll

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Phyll > writes:

> bubble tea
>
> I thought it's a dangerous beverage when you find yourself desperate
> trying to suck those balls with the oversized straw after the tea's
> long gone. Them pearls could get stuck in your wind pipe.

Now *that*'s a humiliating way to die.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 14, 6:01 pm, Phyll > wrote:
> bubble tea
>
> I thought it's a dangerous beverage when you find yourself desperate
> trying to suck those balls with the oversized straw after the tea's
> long gone. Them pearls could get stuck in your wind pipe.
>
> Phyll

OK, just so we're all clear... Use the non-pointy end of the straw to
drink from _AND_ try to get all of the *ahem* "balls" before finishing
all of the liquid.

No wonder products like Preparation-H need labels saying to not take
it orally, or hairdryers warning against their use in the tub or
shower.

The things you learn about folks

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

> OK, just so we're all clear... Use the non-pointy end of the straw to
> drink from _AND_ try to get all of the *ahem* "balls" before finishing
> all of the liquid.

It's too late for me not to sound stupid anyway, so I'll ask:

Is there supposed to be the pointy-end of the straw? On the rare
occasions that I buy this ballsy beverage, each end of the straw
provided is the same as the other, which is non-pointy. And is there
really an unwritten disclaimer that you have to finish the balls first
before you slurp all the tea away? Or else you might die....?

And Preparation-H can not be taken orally?!?! No wonder!

Phyll

On Jun 14, 6:35 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Jun 14, 6:01 pm, Phyll > wrote:
>
> > bubble tea

> > I thought it's a dangerous beverage when you find yourself desperate
> > trying to suck those balls with the oversized straw after the tea's
> > long gone. Them pearls could get stuck in your wind pipe.

> > Phyll

> OK, just so we're all clear... Use the non-pointy end of the straw to
> drink from _AND_ try to get all of the *ahem* "balls" before finishing
> all of the liquid.
>
> No wonder products like Preparation-H need labels saying to not take
> it orally, or hairdryers warning against their use in the tub or
> shower.
>
> The things you learn about folks
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 15, 12:17 am, Phyll > wrote:
> > OK, just so we're all clear... Use the non-pointy end of the straw to
> > drink from _AND_ try to get all of the *ahem* "balls" before finishing
> > all of the liquid.

> It's too late for me not to sound stupid anyway, so I'll ask:
>
> Is there supposed to be the pointy-end of the straw? On the rare
> occasions that I buy this ballsy beverage, each end of the straw
> provided is the same as the other, which is non-pointy. And is there
> really an unwritten disclaimer that you have to finish the balls first
> before you slurp all the tea away? Or else you might die....?
>
> And Preparation-H can not be taken orally?!?! No wonder!
>
> Phyll
>
> On Jun 14, 6:35 pm, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 14, 6:01 pm, Phyll > wrote:

> > > bubble tea

> > > I thought it's a dangerous beverage when you find yourself desperate
> > > trying to suck those balls with the oversized straw after the tea's
> > > long gone. Them pearls could get stuck in your wind pipe.

> > > Phyll

> > OK, just so we're all clear... Use the non-pointy end of the straw to
> > drink from _AND_ try to get all of the *ahem* "balls" before finishing
> > all of the liquid.

> > No wonder products like Preparation-H need labels saying to not take
> > it orally, or hairdryers warning against their use in the tub or
> > shower.

> > The things you learn about folks

> > - Dominic

Yes, yes, it is all very complex and confusing, I know... for years I
was drying my hair in the shower and then I read that little
sticker.

I guess not all bubble tea will have the pointy straw but all that
I've drunk have. When they make it there is a little machine that
seals the top with a thin plastic sheet. Then you use the pointy bit
to stab through. And all of the bulk straws had pointy ends when I
went to buy some at the market, just different colors (I went with
yellow).

And, no, you can save the balls till last if you wish... I guess some
people may do this, just like I've seen folks drink all of the broth
from their ramen/pho first and then eat the noodles... weird but I
guess whatever floats your boat (and doesn't lodge in the trachia and
cause death).

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>Ever heard about "teh tarek", the malaysian version ?
>One more reason I spend half my time in Asia hanging out in tea
>stalls.
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ5iAx5TDyc
>
>Enjoy,
>Karsten

Omigosh, that was the first I've learned of teh tarek! I ended up
watching so many videos O_O And doing research, too. I want to see
a virtuoso uh, pourer, live, in front of me - too bad I never did get
to visiting my uncle and his family when he was stationed by the
government in Brunei a few years back. Well, too bad for lots more
reasons than showy frothy tea, but y'know. Thanks for pointing me to
this! It was a heck of a show.

- Rook

Bubble Tea Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-10-2005 12:41 PM
what is bubble tea? Tom Koeppl Tea 66 26-01-2005 05:33 AM
Bubble Tea - Making Cold Bubble Tea Milk Tea [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2005 05:36 PM
Bubble Tea - Making Cold Bubble Tea Milk Tea [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 17-01-2005 05:36 PM
what is bubble tea? Tom Koeppl Tea 0 04-01-2005 05:09 PM