Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Chripal tea?

A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.

The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
mountains."

What is it?

How do I brew it?

What can I expect from it?

Again, thanks in advance.
AP
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
> called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.
>
> The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
> mountains."
>
> What is it?
>
> How do I brew it?
>
> What can I expect from it?
>
> Again, thanks in advance.
> AP

Ko Mountains are in Russia. Chripal tea may be Shripala tea which is
drunk in Iran. What does this tea look like, smell like, size of
leaves etc.?
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen wrote:
> On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
>> A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
>> called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.
>>
>> The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
>> mountains."
>>
>> What is it?
>>
>> How do I brew it?
>>
>> What can I expect from it?
>>
>> Again, thanks in advance.
>> AP

> Ko Mountains are in Russia. Chripal tea may be Shripala tea which is
> drunk in Iran. What does this tea look like, smell like, size of
> leaves etc.?

It looks very much like basil bolts, a stem, about 8-10 inches (20-25cm)
long, with 10-15 clusters of small flowers along its length.

I'm not sure what it smells like, as I have a cold right now, so my
smeller is inop at the moment. I think that's why he gave it to me.

While it looks like basil bolts I don't _think_ it smells like basil,
because even with my nose in its current condition I think I'd still be
able to smell that.

AP
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 8, 6:26 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> Shen wrote:
> > On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
> >> A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
> >> called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.

> >> The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
> >> mountains."

> >> What is it?

> >> How do I brew it?

> >> What can I expect from it?

> >> Again, thanks in advance.
> >> AP

> > Ko Mountains are in Russia. Chripal tea may be Shripala tea which is
> > drunk in Iran. What does this tea look like, smell like, size of
> > leaves etc.?

> It looks very much like basil bolts, a stem, about 8-10 inches (20-25cm)
> long, with 10-15 clusters of small flowers along its length.
>
> I'm not sure what it smells like, as I have a cold right now, so my
> smeller is inop at the moment. I think that's why he gave it to me.
>
> While it looks like basil bolts I don't _think_ it smells like basil,
> because even with my nose in its current condition I think I'd still be
> able to smell that.
>
> AP- Hide quoted text -

ummm....tulsi, an Ayurvedic tea (holy basil) from India is a form of
basil. There are mountains in Thailand, as well, that are sometimes
called "Ko..". Can you ask your friend if this is a camellia sinensis
(tea) leaf or if it is herbal?
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alan Petrillo" > wrote in message
> Shen wrote:
>> On Jun 8, 12:56 pm, Alan Petrillo > wrote:
>>> A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
>>> called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.
>>>
>>> The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
>>> mountains."
>>>
>>> What is it?
>>>
>>> How do I brew it?
>>>
>>> What can I expect from it?
>>>
>>> Again, thanks in advance.
>>> AP

>> Ko Mountains are in Russia. Chripal tea may be Shripala tea which is
>> drunk in Iran. What does this tea look like, smell like, size of
>> leaves etc.?

> It looks very much like basil bolts, a stem, about 8-10 inches (20-25cm)
> long, with 10-15 clusters of small flowers along its length.
>
> I'm not sure what it smells like, as I have a cold right now, so my
> smeller is inop at the moment. I think that's why he gave it to me.
>
> While it looks like basil bolts I don't _think_ it smells like basil,
> because even with my nose in its current condition I think I'd still be
> able to smell that.
>

> AP

Do a Google search for "mountain tea" Greek, and I think you'll find what
you are looking for.

Does it look like this
?http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...erd%60sTea.asp

If so, it's the dried leaves and flowers of Sideritis plants. Also known as
Shepherds Tea.

Blues

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen wrote:
[snip]
> ummm....tulsi, an Ayurvedic tea (holy basil) from India is a form of
> basil.

Ah. That would explain why it looks like basil, then.

> There are mountains in Thailand, as well, that are sometimes
> called "Ko..".

OK. A Google search for "Ko mountains" came up dry.

> Can you ask your friend if this is a camellia sinensis
> (tea) leaf or if it is herbal?

It is definitely not Camellia Sinensis.

AP
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Blues Lyne" > wrote in message ...

> "Alan Petrillo" > wrote in message
>> Shen wrote:

>>> Ko Mountains are in Russia. Chripal tea may be Shripala tea which is
>>> drunk in Iran. What does this tea look like, smell like, size of
>>> leaves etc.?

>> It looks very much like basil bolts, a stem, about 8-10 inches (20-25cm)
>> long, with 10-15 clusters of small flowers along its length.
>>
>> I'm not sure what it smells like, as I have a cold right now, so my
>> smeller is inop at the moment. I think that's why he gave it to me.
>>
>> While it looks like basil bolts I don't _think_ it smells like basil,
>> because even with my nose in its current condition I think I'd still be
>> able to smell that.
>>

>> AP

>Do a Google search for "mountain tea" Greek, and I think you'll find what you are looking for. Does it look like this?

Here's the link fixed up a bit.

http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...erd%60sTea.asp

> If so, it's the dried leaves and flowers of Sideritis plants. Also known as Shepherds Tea.

>Blues

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 8, 10:02 pm, "Blues Lyne" > wrote:
> "Alan Petrillo" > wrote in message

> > Shen wrote:

> >> Ko Mountains are in Russia. Chripal tea may be Shripala tea which is
> >> drunk in Iran. What does this tea look like, smell like, size of
> >> leaves etc.?

> > It looks very much like basil bolts, a stem, about 8-10 inches (20-25cm)
> > long, with 10-15 clusters of small flowers along its length.

> > I'm not sure what it smells like, as I have a cold right now, so my
> > smeller is inop at the moment. I think that's why he gave it to me.

> > While it looks like basil bolts I don't _think_ it smells like basil,
> > because even with my nose in its current condition I think I'd still be
> > able to smell that.

> > AP

> Do a Google search for "mountain tea" Greek, and I think you'll find what
> you are looking for.
>
> Does it look like this
> ?http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...tion/encyclope...
>
> If so, it's the dried leaves and flowers of Sideritis plants. Also known as
> Shepherds Tea.
>
> Blues- Hide quoted text -

Wow! Thanks, Blues! New to me. You learn something everyday!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Blues Lyne wrote:
[snip]
> Do a Google search for "mountain tea" Greek, and I think you'll find what
> you are looking for.
>
> Does it look like this
> ?http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...erd%60sTea.asp
>
> If so, it's the dried leaves and flowers of Sideritis plants. Also known as
> Shepherds Tea.

That's the stuff. Thanks!

AP
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alan Petrillo" > wrote in message
> Blues Lyne wrote:
> [snip]
>> Do a Google search for "mountain tea" Greek, and I think you'll find what
>> you are looking for.
>>
>> Does it look like this
>> ?http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...erd%60sTea.asp
>>
>> If so, it's the dried leaves and flowers of Sideritis plants. Also known
>> as Shepherds Tea.

> That's the stuff. Thanks!
>

> AP

Glad I could help.

Blues

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hello Alan
My name is Akis and I am from Greece,
The tea you got is sideritis plant we call Mountain tea in Greece.
Ko mountains are the mountains of Ko island in Greece and not in
Russia. However it's easy to know that when you are Greek.
We have two ways of making this herbas tea in Greece.
1) You put it in the tea kettle and bring it to boil, you boil it for
two minutes and let it steep for a couple of minutes
2) You bring water to boil and steep the tea for 8-10 minutes.
The second one is my prefered method.
I like this tea with honey.
Although the traditional medicine says that sideritis is very
beneficial to your health for everything including the flu
research failed to show something extraordinary
I hope that helps

Akis
/ Alan Petrillo :
> A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
> called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.
>
> The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
> mountains."
>
> What is it?
>
> How do I brew it?
>
> What can I expect from it?
>

> Again, thanks in advance.
> AP

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Alan Petrillo > wrote:
>A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
>called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.
>
>The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
>mountains."
>
>What is it?

It's not tea. It's vaguely minty. No caffeine, of course. I kind of like
it.

>How do I brew it?

Pull a couple stalks out, put them into the teapot, add boiling water.
Steep for a few minutes. Pour.

>What can I expect from it?

It's pleasant but not very strong. I want to say the Linnean name is
Tillia Europea but I am not positive. It's in the Linden family.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

wrote:
> Hello Alan
> My name is Akis and I am from Greece,

Hello, Akis.

> The tea you got is sideritis plant we call Mountain tea in Greece.
> Ko mountains are the mountains of Ko island in Greece and not in
> Russia. However it's easy to know that when you are Greek.

Ah. Now that makes sense.

(Google Earth can't find it, but I'll take your word for it.)

> We have two ways of making this herbas tea in Greece.
> 1) You put it in the tea kettle and bring it to boil, you boil it for
> two minutes and let it steep for a couple of minutes
> 2) You bring water to boil and steep the tea for 8-10 minutes.
> The second one is my prefered method.

That's the one I use when making herbal teas as well. I don't really
keep a clock on it, I just steep it until it's cool enough to drink.

> I like this tea with honey.

Just about anything is good with honey, I think.

> Although the traditional medicine says that sideritis is very
> beneficial to your health for everything including the flu
> research failed to show something extraordinary

In my case, I've found it makes me feel warm. It seems to cause
something of a flush, and makes my skin feel warm. It may not have
helped me get over my cold any faster, but it did make me feel better.
It would be interesting to do a more thorough study of its
pharmacological effects.

> I hope that helps

Indeed it does, thank you.

AP

> / Alan Petrillo :
>> A friend of mine, who is from Turkey, gave me a package of something
>> called "Mountain Tea" from Greece.
>>
>> The label says it is "Chripal tea, hand picked from the foot of the Ko
>> mountains."
>>
>> What is it?
>>
>> How do I brew it?
>>
>> What can I expect from it?
>>

>> Again, thanks in advance.
>> AP

Member

Thumbs up

If Its a mountain tea,its taste would be great......

roseline

delnaz