Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default FYI re my references to RFDT in my coming book

RFDT was very helpful in my writing my book, which I had largely
completed many months before I joined the group but I found it very
valuable in fine tuning the mss. I show here all my references to it,
so you can see what I said and, please, if you have any concerns, let
me know. I've tried hard to make sure I don't rip anyone off but a
distinctive new problem in attribution and citations is that web site
materials are ephemeral. In many instances, I can't provide date, page
and author because it's disappeared or is buried deep in archives that
I can't locate now. I hope you sense my deep appreciation of the
group. Thank you, so much.

(From the Acknowledgements..........)

This is my first book that essentially is an Internet book. My
research relies on the Web-I estimate that I browsed 2-3 thousand
sites to find information, check facts, and get new ideas. 90% of my
tea purchases are made online and otherwise I would not have been able
to buy most of the teas that I review. I drew heavily on the expertise
of the members of the Google USENET group rec.food.drink.tea who
provide insights and information that I could never otherwise have
found.

>From the main text............

I recommend that if you do get actively interested in great teas, you
sign up for the Google chat group rec.food.drink.tea. I find this a
very helpful forum that includes some highly knowledgeable discussions
of individual teas. I learnt more about Pu-erh from the enthusiasts on
it than from any other source. I also find it valuable as a reality
check. When I get interested in exploring some particular tea, I often
take a quick look at what the group participants are saying and what
their general degree of "buzz" about it is. They are also a very
useful guide to which suppliers-online, offline, producers and
wholesalers-that they find to be good and bad; they can and do say
things that I shouldn't in this book. The discussions are also a
constant reminder to me that my own opinions are just that. Tea is a
personal taste and there are a lot of people who enjoy what I think
are boiled tree bark, spiced up mouthwash, or compost heap. Equally,
there are many who share my tastes but have far more sophisticated
knowledge of, for instance, China whites. I could masquerade as an
expert on Baihao oolong and which suppliers to buy it from, just by
synthesizing the group discussions. There is, of course, also plenty
of verbiage and chat that drifts and doesn't add up to anything
interesting and useful, but all in all this is among the best
information resources that I have found on the Web.

It is fun reading the terms that Pu-erh connoisseurs use to describe
them. These examples are taken from the Google group
rec.food.drink.tea, which I recommend to anyone who becomes seriously
interested in tea. I am amazed by the enthusiasm and knowledge of the
Pu-erh lovers who provide their analyses. Here are a few from online
reviews: "3rd steep 45 seconds: wood, mulch, touch of damp basement";
"there was just a hint of a wet laundry thing here"; "I've come to
appreciate the rancid taste in more recent shu than the coffee taste
in something more mature... I mean rancid as in ashy, fishy, moldy";
"Don't bother with their breaking it up with a hammer instructions. I
find it's much easier it to pry it apart with a knife."

As support for my classifying Matcha as a Maybe, rather than a Luxury
Zowie, which is how enthusiasts rate it, let me quote comments from
the Google tea group that I find useful in getting a sense of how tea
lovers far more knowledgeable than myself judge individual products
(rec.food.drink.tea):
"Also you should be aware that the quality of Matcha varies greatly.
Most of the Matcha sold outside of Japan is very poor grade. It often
does not produce a nice froth, and sometimes is even slight brown, as
opposed to a rich pea green. To get good Matcha, you need to shop at a
good Japanese market, preferably one that sells other supplies used in
the tea ceremony." (Oeufs, anyone?)
"Either Matcha is really unpleasant, or it is really unforgiving. Does
anybody know the proper ratio of powder to water, the correct temp to
brew it, the timing of the whisking action (before, during or after it
has had time to infuse) and other essential directions to ensure the
proper experience? All I've gotten out of it is very bitter and
vegetal green soup. Help!"

One topic that I have not addressed so far is the issue of rebrewing
teas. Since caffeine is water soluble and rapidly released in the
first two minutes of infusion, then obviously there will be less of it
in a second or third brewing. The question is how much less.
Surprisingly, there is almost no discussion of this in either the
scientific literature on caffeine or that on tea. As I was quite
literally going through my final edit of the manuscript of Great Teas
I posted a query on the Google group Rec.food.drink.tea that I have
mentioned several times. At last I got the answer. I want to thank
"cha bing" for pointing me to an article with the exotic title of "Tea
preparation and its influence on methylxanthine concentration" that
appeared in Food Research International in 1996.

REFERENCES

These "endnotes" provide references to material that I directly quote
from articles, books and Web sites. This is part of the etiquette of
writing, that an author should cite sources and give credit to the
originator. That can be difficult with the ever-changing, evanescent
world of the Web. If I have inadvertently failed to give credit, I
apologize and will repair the error in later editions of Great Teas.
Where it is clear that an item is a cut-and-paste job that is on many
sites and where the original source is unknown, I do not feel obliged
to cite it. That is another huge problem on the Web in general and on
tea sellers' sites in particular.

Paula Murray, Fancy A Nice Cup of Dust?, Daily Record.co.uk, March
27, 2007
liquidplanet.com/Yixing-p-1-c-42.html, and about 30 other Web sites.
Same exact wording on each site.
I do not list the company here, but it is national, offers some very
good teas, and ought to know better.
Wikipedia.org: "Tea sandwich"
George Orwell, A Nice Cup of Tea, Evening Standard, 12 January, 1946
Andrew Jefford, The Best Drink in the World, Financial Times,
October 28,2006
Actionaid.org.uk/_content/documents/teabreakreport.pdf
The newsletter has disappeared from the Web, There are many
available articles on Darjeeling intellectual property rights. The Key
term is "TRIPS."
teavilla.com/2004/07/bubble-tea.htm
O-cha.com, the web site of a company located in Iwaki-city,
Fukushima, Japan
Google group: rec.food.drink.tea; exact citation hard to provide,
because search engines do not pick up Group chat material
Ibid (Latin for "same as above")
Michelle Williams, Tea Trek, Nepal, Fresh Cup Magazine, March 2002
Rudra Kharda, 7 security personnel killed in Salyan, nepalnews.com,
June 2002
Ghoshal Sharma, Six Killed As Nepal Rebels Attack, Boston.com News,
March 6, 2006
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...icle656154.ece
Google group: rec.food.drink.tea
Wikipedia.org, Tasseography
holymtn.com/tea/greentea.htm
harvestfields.netfirms.com/Tea/Gtea/imperial_dragonwell.htm
Google group: rec.food.drink.tea
Business 2.0 Magazine, February 2007
Mark Moxon, India, Darjeeling, moxon.net/india/darjeeling.html, May
1998
Kakuzo Okakura, The Book of Tea, 1906
chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2002-02/08/content_106209.htm (2002) and
.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=Rosemary+Mint+Tisane
A long address:
http://66.218.71.231/language/transl...s&fr=yfp-t-501
Google group: rec.food.drink.tea
Monique Hicks et al, Tea Preparation and its Impacts on
Methylxanthine concentration, Food Research International, Vol. 29,
Nos 3-4, 1996
Mira Kamdar, Planet India, Scribner, New York, 2007, pp. 136-142
Quin Yang, China to a Tea, Washington Post, May 18, 2007, page H5

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

RFDT really has nothing to do with Google groups. Google does provide a
USENET interface, but I think it is misleading to refer to the group as a
Google group. Kind of like using Google to search for Jing's Tea Shop and
calling them a Google store.

Good luck on the book,

Blues

"pgwk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]

> holymtn.com/tea/greentea.htm
> harvestfields.netfirms.com/Tea/Gtea/imperial_dragonwell.htm
> Google group: rec.food.drink.tea
> Business 2.0 Magazine, February 2007
> Mark Moxon, India, Darjeeling, moxon.net/india/darjeeling.html, May
> 1998
> Kakuzo Okakura, The Book of Tea, 1906
> chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2002-02/08/content_106209.htm (2002) and
> .recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=Rosemary+Mint+Tisane
> A long address:
> http://66.218.71.231/language/transl...s&fr=yfp-t-501
> Google group: rec.food.drink.tea
> Monique Hicks et al, Tea Preparation and its Impacts on
> Methylxanthine concentration, Food Research International, Vol. 29,
> Nos 3-4, 1996
> Mira Kamdar, Planet India, Scribner, New York, 2007, pp. 136-142
> Quin Yang, China to a Tea, Washington Post, May 18, 2007, page H5

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Good point -- I hadn't thought of that. I wonder, though, if I shodl
leave the references as is since many people will be more likely to
sign up via familiar Google than try to work out how to get up on a
"Usenet."

On Jun 7, 1:20 am, "Blues Lyne" > wrote:
> [...]

> > holymtn.com/tea/greentea.htm
> > harvestfields.netfirms.com/Tea/Gtea/imperial_dragonwell.htm
> > Google group: rec.food.drink.tea
> > Business 2.0 Magazine, February 2007
> > Mark Moxon, India, Darjeeling, moxon.net/india/darjeeling.html, May
> > 1998
> > Kakuzo Okakura, The Book of Tea, 1906
> > chinadaily.com.cn/en/doc/2002-02/08/content_106209.htm (2002) and
> > .recipezaar.com/recipes.php?q=Rosemary+Mint+Tisane
> > A long address:
> >http://66.218.71.231/language/transl...e.php?tt=url&t...
> > Google group: rec.food.drink.tea
> > Monique Hicks et al, Tea Preparation and its Impacts on
> > Methylxanthine concentration, Food Research International, Vol. 29,
> > Nos 3-4, 1996
> > Mira Kamdar, Planet India, Scribner, New York, 2007, pp. 136-142
> > Quin Yang, China to a Tea, Washington Post, May 18, 2007, page H5- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

pgwk > writes:

> Good point -- I hadn't thought of that. I wonder, though, if I shodl
> leave the references as is since many people will be more likely to
> sign up via familiar Google than try to work out how to get up on a
> "Usenet."

I think it's important to correct this. It's good that Google
provides the service it does, but that service isn't RFDT. I actually
think the world would be a better place if Google had competition in
archiving Usenet. A short paragraph should be enough space to make
the distinction clear.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I would like to enforce this suggestion. RFDT is a usenet
group. you can mention you access it through google
groups, but there are other web-based usenet interfaces.

I was thinking of suggesting this to you as soon as i read
it, before reading the responses.

The original way to access usenet groups was through
a usenet client, which stored your messages on your
disk (or your local server disk). Windows users seem not
to have been using it very through the years, I guess because
they use a protocol that microsoft does not control. However,
usenet clients for windows exist from a very long time.

Lewis Perin ha escrit:
> pgwk > writes:
>
> > Good point -- I hadn't thought of that. I wonder, though, if I shodl
> > leave the references as is since many people will be more likely to
> > sign up via familiar Google than try to work out how to get up on a
> > "Usenet."

> I think it's important to correct this. It's good that Google
> provides the service it does, but that service isn't RFDT. I actually
> think the world would be a better place if Google had competition in
> archiving Usenet. A short paragraph should be enough space to make
> the distinction clear.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

You'll leave your readers with the impression that RFDT on Google
Groups is nothing more than a super vanity blog where they can mention
they bought a signed copy of the hip and sexy tea book subtitled Tea
TimeOut for Coffee Drinkers and be sure to ask where they buy the most
expensive and best tasting tea because they weren't told the two are
unrelated. According to your self proclaimed ignorance telling them
about Usenet and it's modus operandi is a waste of time.

Jim

pgwk wrote:
> Good point -- I hadn't thought of that. I wonder, though, if I shodl
> leave the references as is since many people will be more likely to
> sign up via familiar Google than try to work out how to get up on a
> "Usenet."

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

No problem. I got the proofs of the mss yesterday and have removed all
references to RFDT except, of course, to make sure I cite any quotes I
made from it. So the recommendation to join it, and the "thank you" in
the acknowledgements will not be in the book.

On Jun 8, 8:54 am, Space Cowboy > wrote:
> You'll leave your readers with the impression that RFDT on Google
> Groups is nothing more than a super vanity blog where they can mention
> they bought a signed copy of the hip and sexy tea book subtitled Tea
> TimeOut for Coffee Drinkers and be sure to ask where they buy the most
> expensive and best tasting tea because they weren't told the two are
> unrelated. According to your self proclaimed ignorance telling them
> about Usenet and it's modus operandi is a waste of time.
>
> Jim
>

> pgwk wrote:
> > Good point -- I hadn't thought of that. I wonder, though, if I shodl
> > leave the references as is since many people will be more likely to
> > sign up via familiar Google than try to work out how to get up on a
> > "Usenet."- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 9, 11:14 am, pgwk > wrote:
> No problem. I got the proofs of the mss yesterday and have removed all
> references to RFDT except, of course, to make sure I cite any quotes I
> made from it. So the recommendation to join it, and the "thank you" in
> the acknowledgements will not be in the book.

KTHXBYE!

Tea references Ayn Rand We The Living Space Cowboy Tea 4 31-01-2010 10:39 PM
RFDT needs FRF ( frequently repeated fallacies) [email protected] Tea 32 29-12-2007 08:23 PM
You know you are from Pennsylvania........(does have food references) Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 41 29-08-2006 04:11 PM
RFDT FAQ Steve Hay Tea 0 31-12-2005 12:32 PM
looking for good general references on the Web philosopher Wine 7 11-11-2004 06:18 PM