Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default "dry"(?) green tea

I've bought and been given along time several bags of
what I would call "dry" green tea. I call it green because
the tea produced from it it's yellow / green. And dry
because its leaves before infusing are not "green", but
a color like dark grey / green, and have a texture similar
to black indian tea. Most of these bags come from
China (I bought one in Korea).

I was wondering if there is an specific way to
label this kind of tea, if you know what I am talking
about ...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

marc > writes:

> I've bought and been given along time several bags of
> what I would call "dry" green tea. I call it green because
> the tea produced from it it's yellow / green. And dry
> because its leaves before infusing are not "green", but
> a color like dark grey / green, and have a texture similar
> to black indian tea. Most of these bags come from
> China (I bought one in Korea).
>
> I was wondering if there is an specific way to
> label this kind of tea, if you know what I am talking
> about ...

This sounds like typical Chinese green tea. Maybe you were expecting
it to be bright green, like Japanese sencha? That bright green color
comes from steaming the leaves rather than, as usual in China,
roasting or "frying" them during manufacture. But really, this isn't
terribly important, and there's a vast range of different tastes and
aromas available from teas that look like what you've described.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

you are right. after drinking some steamed (i guess) green
tea, like long jing or sencha, i somehow got to think that
green tea was only that one. i guess i've confused myself.

Lewis Perin ha escrit:
> marc > writes:
>
> This sounds like typical Chinese green tea. Maybe you were expecting
> it to be bright green, like Japanese sencha? That bright green color
> comes from steaming the leaves rather than, as usual in China,
> roasting or "frying" them during manufacture. But really, this isn't
> terribly important, and there's a vast range of different tastes and
> aromas available from teas that look like what you've described.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

marc > writes:

> Lewis Perin ha escrit:
> > marc > writes:
> >
> > This sounds like typical Chinese green tea. Maybe you were expecting
> > it to be bright green, like Japanese sencha? That bright green color
> > comes from steaming the leaves rather than, as usual in China,
> > roasting or "frying" them during manufacture. But really, this isn't
> > terribly important, and there's a vast range of different tastes and
> > aromas available from teas that look like what you've described.
> >

> you are right. after drinking some steamed (i guess) green
> tea, like long jing or sencha, i somehow got to think that
> green tea was only that one.

Actually, Long Jing is fried.

> i guess i've confused myself.

Don't worry about it. The more you learn about tea, the more confused
you get.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin ha escrit:
> marc > writes:
>
> > you are right. after drinking some steamed (i guess) green
> > tea, like long jing or sencha, i somehow got to think that
> > green tea was only that one.

> Actually, Long Jing is fried.

what? now i am really messed up

tea leaves so green, that seem to have
just been picked from the tree are fried?

maybe we are talking about different
ways of preparing long jing ... or maybe
not

> > i guess i've confused myself.

> Don't worry about it. The more you learn about tea, the more confused
> you get.

that's a good point. i think i'll have to read more ...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

marc > writes:

> Lewis Perin ha escrit:
> > marc > writes:
> >
> > > you are right. after drinking some steamed (i guess) green tea,
> > > like long jing or sencha, i somehow got to think that green tea
> > > was only that one.

> > Actually, Long Jing is fried.

> what? now i am really messed up
>
> tea leaves so green, that seem to have just been picked from the
> tree are fried?

Hmm, I've seen Long Jing that's fairly green, but never approaching
the color intensity of sencha.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> tea leaves so green, that seem to have
> just been picked from the tree are fried?

As Lewis rightly pointed out, different processing can give rise to
different aroma, colour and shape.

Chinese tea can be roasted (fried), baked or steamed. There are less
steamed now, it was the norm until the 16th century (Ming dynasty, I
think).

Different processing methods have different advantages and
disadvantages.

Roasted tea has a stronger aroma. It's also able to manipulate the tea
to the desired shape. Ever wonder how tender tea shoots like the long
jing tea can be shaped into such such straight, flat, glossy, blade
shaped appearance? That's the power of roasting. And it's hugely time
consuming.

Here is the article to read for further info.

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...rocessing.html

and on longjing tea

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/dragon-well-tea.html

Hope it helps.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin ha escrit:
> > tea leaves so green, that seem to have just been picked from the
> > tree are fried?

> Hmm, I've seen Long Jing that's fairly green, but never approaching
> the color intensity of sencha.

the longjings i've tried are, to my colour perception, as
green as sencha. a bit brighter, i'd say. i have some bags,
i may tell you what hanzi are there. i doubt they are
roasted as opposed to the standard chinese green tea.

btw, has anyone tried this "zhu ye qing" brand, from the
emei mountain in xichuan? is it roasted or steamed?

juliantai ha escrit:
> Chinese tea can be roasted (fried), baked or steamed. There are less
> steamed now, it was the norm until the 16th century (Ming dynasty, I
> think).

thanks julian for the information and the links, very
useful and clarifying. i got confused with the word
"fried" which to me implies using oil. "roasted" sounds
better to me. you may have realized i am not a
native english speaker.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

marc > writes:

> Lewis Perin ha escrit:
> > > tea leaves so green, that seem to have just been picked from the
> > > tree are fried?

> > Hmm, I've seen Long Jing that's fairly green, but never approaching
> > the color intensity of sencha.

> the longjings i've tried are, to my colour perception, as
> green as sencha. a bit brighter, i'd say. i have some bags,
> i may tell you what hanzi are there. i doubt they are
> roasted as opposed to the standard chinese green tea.
>
> btw, has anyone tried this "zhu ye qing" brand, from the emei
> mountain in xichuan?

I'm not clear if you're implying the Zhu Ye Qing is a brand of Long
Jing. I don't think it's a *brand* of anything; rather it's a variety
of green tea, notably from Emei Shan.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> marc > writes:

> > btw, has anyone tried this "zhu ye qing" brand, from the emei
> > mountain in xichuan?

> I'm not clear if you're implying the Zhu Ye Qing is a brand of Long
> Jing. I don't think it's a *brand* of anything; rather it's a variety
> of green tea, notably from Emei Shan.

sorry, i did not write carefully. yes, i
was not referring to a long jing, but to
a brand (variety?) of greenland tea.

my concern was about its process. is
it roasted or steamed? btw, you have
it on your db.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> > > btw, has anyone tried this "zhu ye qing" brand, from the emei
> > > mountain in xichuan?

> > I'm not clear if you're implying the Zhu Ye Qing is a brand of Long
> > Jing. I don't think it's a *brand* of anything; rather it's a variety
> > of green tea, notably from Emei Shan.

Marc

Zhu Ye Qing is now a trademark owned by the production company in Er
Mei Shan. It's quite silly really, because the name refers to the tea
itself.

Traditionally the tea is flat-roasted, like long jing tea. But the Zhu
Ye Qing company has taken this forward and put it into the factory
environment, and produce the tea using a combination of roasting,
steaming and baking.

If you know of any good sources of this tea, let me know. My
experience with it has not been positive, but it's won several awards
before, so there could be something to it.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com