Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Whittard in Boston

I went to the new Whittard of Chelsea store on Newbury Street in Boston.
They have the full selection one would find in their UK stores, but at
prices, allowing for the current exchange rate, about 45 percent higher
than what youıde pay in the UK. Itıs $9.99 for a 125 gram (4.4 ounces)
package of loose tea, which sells for 3.2 pounds on their website.
Sounds like itıs time for a second Boston Tea Party! :-)

They said they are planning to open a second Boston store in Fanuel Hall
in July.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I wasn't aware that these shops were popular in the US; they're a bit
of a joke in the UK. I wonder if the product ranges are similar.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

HobbesOxon > wrote in
ups.com:

> I wasn't aware that these shops were popular in the US; they're a bit
> of a joke in the UK. I wonder if the product ranges are similar.

I didn't say they are popular, just that they exist. Their website shows
that they only have a few open now in the US, with more planned if these
are successful.

As best as I could tell in one visit, the products they carry are identical
to the UK stores, only the prices are much higher.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 5, 7:23 pm, Larry Weil > wrote:
> HobbesOxon > wrote roups.com:
>
> > I wasn't aware that these shops were popular in the US; they're a bit
> > of a joke in the UK. I wonder if the product ranges are similar.

> I didn't say they are popular, just that they exist. Their website shows
> that they only have a few open now in the US, with more planned if these
> are successful.
>
> As best as I could tell in one visit, the products they carry are identical
> to the UK stores, only the prices are much higher.

I tried some of their products when I was in the UK. They were good,
but nothing outstanding. Certainly not worth the premium price they
are charging. They are probably hoping that their will be perceived
higher value because the price tag is higher. Twinings is just as
good at a fraction of the price and it's more widely available.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Their projected image abroad is an interesting one. As you say, they
seem to have (somehow) gained a reputation as selling expensive,
sometimes good tea.

The reality in the UK is that they're approaching something like
Starbucks: there are 2-3 in most large towns, they sell colourful
crockery that looks like it should belong in a 1990s American sitcom,
combined with a vast (truly vast) range of flavoured and scented
teas. Blueberry, Christmas Pudding, Butterscotch, ad infinitum...
Their "quality" teas are restricted to 2-3 options, usually low-grade
"gunpowder" wulong and a white tea, at 4-5 the price of even the most
expensive Internet vendors. This is true in the smallest of their
shops in a provincial town, or their showcase shop in London's Covent
Garden.

They're a remarkable conjunction of naffness and high prices, earning
them their joke-like status - the sort of place one might buy a gift
some someone that they didn't really like...

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jun 6, 3:39 am, HobbesOxon > wrote:
> Their projected image abroad is an interesting one. As you say, they
> seem to have (somehow) gained a reputation as selling expensive,
> sometimes good tea.
>
> The reality in the UK is that they're approaching something like
> Starbucks: there are 2-3 in most large towns, they sell colourful
> crockery that looks like it should belong in a 1990s American sitcom,
> combined with a vast (truly vast) range of flavoured and scented
> teas. Blueberry, Christmas Pudding, Butterscotch, ad infinitum...
> Their "quality" teas are restricted to 2-3 options, usually low-grade
> "gunpowder" wulong and a white tea, at 4-5 the price of even the most
> expensive Internet vendors. This is true in the smallest of their
> shops in a provincial town, or their showcase shop in London's Covent
> Garden.
>
> They're a remarkable conjunction of naffness and high prices, earning
> them their joke-like status - the sort of place one might buy a gift
> some someone that they didn't really like...
>
> Toodlepip,
>
> Hobbes

In other words, a tourist trap. Give me a cup of PG Tips any day.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> The reality in the UK is that they're approaching something like
> Starbucks: there are 2-3 in most large towns, they sell colourful
> crockery that looks like it should belong in a 1990s American sitcom,
> combined with a vast (truly vast) range of flavoured and scented
> teas. Blueberry, Christmas Pudding, Butterscotch, ad infinitum...
> Their "quality" teas are restricted to 2-3 options, usually low-grade
> "gunpowder" wulong and a white tea, at 4-5 the price of even the most

I was just in the Boston store a week or two ago. This is a *perfect*
description of it. A complete waste of storefront space, IMHO. Fairly
aggressive sales people, too, and a lot of them, at least when I was there.

D.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

There are a few branches in Bangkok too.. Cost us around 2.1 - 3 USD.
I think they are trying to approach to same standard as Starbucks
which can grab some upper customers.

Still, should be a nice place to sit around.

Boston lleichtman Wine 1 19-04-2013 05:15 PM
AYCE in Boston or South of Boston AND AYCE PRICE CapeCodBob Sushi 3 16-10-2008 01:58 PM
Whittard in Boston? Larry Weil Tea 0 06-05-2007 02:41 AM
FS: Whittard of Chelsea 'Tea for One Gift set' - new item auction link Poconos/VT/NY Tea 0 09-01-2007 07:20 PM
Sea to You, Boston Peter Sushi 3 31-03-2005 10:57 PM