Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Has anyone tried Enviga?

Not sure if this is considered off topic or not - it is tea, just not
normal tea. I just tried the new Peach Enviga by Coca Cola. It's
peach flavored carbonated green tea. Sort of tastes like a wine
cooler to me. It's only 5 cal per can, so makes for a nice low cal
summer beverage. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of / tried
it. A friend of mine tells me that the Berry flavor is the best, but
I haven't tried that one yet.

Desirea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 23, 3:45 pm, Shen > wrote:
> On May 23, 11:25 am, Desirea > wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this is considered off topic or not - it is tea, just not
> > normal tea. I just tried the new Peach Enviga by Coca Cola. It's
> > peach flavored carbonated green tea. Sort of tastes like a wine
> > cooler to me. It's only 5 cal per can, so makes for a nice low cal
> > summer beverage. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of / tried
> > it. A friend of mine tells me that the Berry flavor is the best, but
> > I haven't tried that one yet.

> > Desirea

> This stuff is scary. Any benefits from green tea are negated by the
> other ingredients: carbonated water, calcium lactate, concentrated
> green tea from tea leaves, citric acid, natural flavors, phosphoric
> acid, potassium sorbate and potassium benzoate, aspartame, caffeine,
> ace-k. Calcium lactate is not only a calcium that many, many people
> are allergic to, the good points of calcium supplementation is
> destroyed by phosphoric acid (which can weaken bones). And, gee whiz,
> it's full of aspartame - more junk. Ace-k is acesulfume potassium
> which is very controversial and considered by some to be carcinogenic,
> ( it's funny how it's always called ace-K, it's chemical terminology,
> so that ordinary folks don't recognize it),as is the preservative
> potassium benzoate which transmutes into benzene (a known
> carcinogenic) which mixed with small amounts of Vit C and subjected to
> either heat or light. There is a big movement in Naturopathic
> Pediatrics to get this stuff out of cafeteria pop since it also
> affects kids teeth (as does phosphoric acid). and is considered a
> contributor to allergies and asthma, especially in kids.
> It's funny how it's always called ace-K on a pop bottle label, it's
> chemical terminology, so that ordinary folks don't tend to suspect it.
> The stuff is also made by Nestea. Its teas are freeze dried fannings.
> Again, not the best source of green tea.
> Why not have a glass of a decent cooled green tea, add a tiny bit of a
> healthier sweetener (if you have to) and eat a peach?
> Shen

I apologize for the triple posting - Google!
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 23, 6:46 pm, Shen > wrote:
> On May 23, 11:25 am, Desirea > wrote:
>
> > Not sure if this is considered off topic or not - it is tea, just not
> > normal tea. I just tried the new Peach Enviga by Coca Cola. It's
> > peach flavored carbonated green tea. Sort of tastes like a wine
> > cooler to me. It's only 5 cal per can, so makes for a nice low cal
> > summer beverage. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of / tried
> > it. A friend of mine tells me that the Berry flavor is the best, but
> > I haven't tried that one yet.

> > Desirea

> This stuff is scary. Any benefits from green tea are negated by the
> other ingredients: carbonated water, calcium lactate, concentrated
> green tea from tea leaves, citric acid, natural flavors, phosphoric
> acid, potassium sorbate and potassium benzoate, aspartame, caffeine,
> ace-k. Calcium lactate is not only a calcium that many, many people
> are allergic to, the good points of calcium supplementation is
> destroyed by phosphoric acid (which can weaken bones). And, gee whiz,
> it's full of aspartame - more junk. Ace-k is acesulfume potassium
> which is very controversial and considered by some to be carcinogenic,
> ( it's funny how it's always called ace-K, it's chemical terminology,
> so that ordinary folks don't recognize it),as is the preservative
> potassium benzoate which transmutes into benzene (a known
> carcinogenic) which mixed with small amounts of Vit C and subjected to
> either heat or light. There is a big movement in Naturopathic
> Pediatrics to get this stuff out of cafeteria pop since it also
> affects kids teeth (as does phosphoric acid). and is considered a
> contributor to allergies and asthma, especially in kids.
> It's funny how it's always called ace-K on a pop bottle label, it's
> chemical terminology, so that ordinary folks don't tend to suspect it.
> The stuff is also made by Nestea. Its teas are freeze dried fannings.
> Again, not the best source of green tea.
> Why not have a glass of a decent cooled green tea, add a tiny bit of a
> healthier sweetener (if you have to) and eat a peach?
> Shen

Wow - thanks for that. Looks like I won't be repurchasing this one.
I did like the fact that it helped me get through the work day - but I
can get that with my [dare I say it] coffee and soy creamer. Yes - I
usually start my day with coffee and end it with tea - don't hate
me :-).

Desirea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Amen, amen, amen. Don't apologize -- it's worth reading three times.
One of the sad outomes of the green tea powder is good for you fad is
that the tea becomes just a base for chemistry wizards to tinker with.
Here is Tata's (owns Tetley, makes cars, runs steel mills and is a
leading outsourcing firm) statement about its "tea" operations "The
company reprocesses instant teas that are brought from India, in its
Florida factory, by changing physical parameters such as density,
particle size, making formulations with flavors and sweeteners, or
blending them with other food ingredients."

On May 23, 6:48 pm, Shen > wrote:
> On May 23, 3:45 pm, Shen > wrote:
>

> > On May 23, 11:25 am, Desirea > wrote:

> > > Not sure if this is considered off topic or not - it is tea, just not
> > > normal tea. I just tried the new Peach Enviga by Coca Cola. It's
> > > peach flavored carbonated green tea. Sort of tastes like a wine
> > > cooler to me. It's only 5 cal per can, so makes for a nice low cal
> > > summer beverage. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of / tried
> > > it. A friend of mine tells me that the Berry flavor is the best, but
> > > I haven't tried that one yet.

> > > Desirea

> > This stuff is scary. Any benefits from green tea are negated by the
> > other ingredients: carbonated water, calcium lactate, concentrated
> > green tea from tea leaves, citric acid, natural flavors, phosphoric
> > acid, potassium sorbate and potassium benzoate, aspartame, caffeine,
> > ace-k. Calcium lactate is not only a calcium that many, many people
> > are allergic to, the good points of calcium supplementation is
> > destroyed by phosphoric acid (which can weaken bones). And, gee whiz,
> > it's full of aspartame - more junk. Ace-k is acesulfume potassium
> > which is very controversial and considered by some to be carcinogenic,
> > ( it's funny how it's always called ace-K, it's chemical terminology,
> > so that ordinary folks don't recognize it),as is the preservative
> > potassium benzoate which transmutes into benzene (a known
> > carcinogenic) which mixed with small amounts of Vit C and subjected to
> > either heat or light. There is a big movement in Naturopathic
> > Pediatrics to get this stuff out of cafeteria pop since it also
> > affects kids teeth (as does phosphoric acid). and is considered a
> > contributor to allergies and asthma, especially in kids.
> > It's funny how it's always called ace-K on a pop bottle label, it's
> > chemical terminology, so that ordinary folks don't tend to suspect it.
> > The stuff is also made by Nestea. Its teas are freeze dried fannings.
> > Again, not the best source of green tea.
> > Why not have a glass of a decent cooled green tea, add a tiny bit of a
> > healthier sweetener (if you have to) and eat a peach?
> > Shen

> I apologize for the triple posting - Google!
> Shen- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 23, 9:46 pm, pgwk > wrote:
> Amen, amen, amen. Don't apologize -- it's worth reading three times.
> One of the sad outomes of the green tea powder is good for you fad is
> that the tea becomes just a base for chemistry wizards to tinker with.
> Here is Tata's (owns Tetley, makes cars, runs steel mills and is a
> leading outsourcing firm) statement about its "tea" operations "The
> company reprocesses instant teas that are brought from India, in its
> Florida factory, by changing physical parameters such as density,
> particle size, making formulations with flavors and sweeteners, or
> blending them with other food ingredients."
>
> On May 23, 6:48 pm, Shen > wrote:

> > > This stuff is scary. Any benefits from green tea are negated by the
> > > other ingredients: carbonated water, calcium lactate, concentrated
> > > green tea from tea leaves, citric acid, natural flavors, phosphoric
> > > acid, potassium sorbate and potassium benzoate, aspartame, caffeine,
> > > ace-k. Calcium lactate is not only a calcium that many, many people
> > > are allergic to, the good points of calcium supplementation is
> > > destroyed by phosphoric acid (which can weaken bones). And, gee whiz,
> > > it's full of aspartame - more junk. Ace-k is acesulfume potassium
> > > which is very controversial and considered by some to be carcinogenic,
> > > ( it's funny how it's always called ace-K, it's chemical terminology,
> > > so that ordinary folks don't recognize it),as is the preservative
> > > potassium benzoate which transmutes into benzene (a known
> > > carcinogenic) which mixed with small amounts of Vit C and subjected to
> > > either heat or light. There is a big movement in Naturopathic
> > > Pediatrics to get this stuff out of cafeteria pop since it also
> > > affects kids teeth (as does phosphoric acid). and is considered a
> > > contributor to allergies and asthma, especially in kids.
> > > It's funny how it's always called ace-K on a pop bottle label, it's
> > > chemical terminology, so that ordinary folks don't tend to suspect it.
> > > The stuff is also made by Nestea. Its teas are freeze dried fannings.
> > > Again, not the best source of green tea.
> > > Why not have a glass of a decent cooled green tea, add a tiny bit of a
> > > healthier sweetener (if you have to) and eat a peach?
> > > Shen

> > I apologize for the triple posting - Google!
> > Shen- Hide quoted text -

Here in America: if it's sweet enough, it will sell. If it's cheap
enough to make, they'll sell it. If it promises to make you slim,
they'll drink it.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen, what a GREAT post. Thank you!

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Minus the junk, I've never found tea and carbonization work well
together. You get the tingling fizz which masks the taste of tea. In
fact I don't think you taste anything because the foam slides off the
tongue and down the throat. Starbucks would have carbonated coffee if
it created a new taste sensation. Walmart carries Arizona green tea
in the gallon jugs. Not sure what it is. All you need for work is
loose tea, water, clay pot with bamboo handle, and a mw.

Jim

On May 24, 12:42 am, Shen > wrote:
> Here in America: if it's sweet enough, it will sell. If it's cheap
> enough to make, they'll sell it. If it promises to make you slim,
> they'll drink it.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Desirea > wrote:

>Wow - thanks for that. Looks like I won't be repurchasing this one.
>I did like the fact that it helped me get through the work day - but I
>can get that with my [dare I say it] coffee and soy creamer. Yes - I
>usually start my day with coffee and end it with tea - don't hate
>me :-).

Don't think of it as tea. Think of it as a diet soda that has some tea
flavouring in it. It's probably no worse for you than any other diet
soda is.

Real tea is... just tea.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

pgwk > wrote:
>Amen, amen, amen. Don't apologize -- it's worth reading three times.
>One of the sad outomes of the green tea powder is good for you fad is
>that the tea becomes just a base for chemistry wizards to tinker with.
>Here is Tata's (owns Tetley, makes cars, runs steel mills and is a
>leading outsourcing firm) statement about its "tea" operations "The
>company reprocesses instant teas that are brought from India, in its
>Florida factory, by changing physical parameters such as density,
>particle size, making formulations with flavors and sweeteners, or
>blending them with other food ingredients."

Which is basically what the wine cooler guys do with wine. I mean, I have
seen facilities where they take cheap white wine and run it through reverse
osmosis columns to take the flavour out, then they add artificial flavour
and sugar to it. It's a soda, that just happens to be made with wine or tea.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 24, 10:17 am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> Desirea > wrote:
>
> >Wow - thanks for that. Looks like I won't be repurchasing this one.
> >I did like the fact that it helped me get through the work day - but I
> >can get that with my [dare I say it] coffee and soy creamer. Yes - I
> >usually start my day with coffee and end it with tea - don't hate
> >me :-).

> Don't think of it as tea. Think of it as a diet soda that has some tea
> flavouring in it. It's probably no worse for you than any other diet
> soda is.
>
> Real tea is... just tea.
> --scott

I tried something different today. I made some Hojicha green tea and
mixed it with a Diet 7-up and ice. It was actually quite good. I had
done this before with fruity herbal tisanes, but never with Green tea
before. Seems like a good low caffeine alternative to Enviga.

Desirea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2007-05-25, Desirea > wrote:
> I tried something different today. I made some Hojicha green tea and
> mixed it with a Diet 7-up and ice. It was actually quite good. I had
> done this before with fruity herbal tisanes, but never with Green tea
> before. Seems like a good low caffeine alternative to Enviga.

Speaking of chilled, bubbly tea concoctions (that are not bubble tea),
a few years ago, one of the then-regular posters described her results
having tried out a cocktail of champagne mixed with oolong:

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.drink.tea/browse_frm/thread/d108b169a7c6c49e/190f5462b4301c80>

N.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On May 25, 12:44 am, Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
> On 2007-05-25, Desirea > wrote:
>
> > I tried something different today. I made some Hojicha green tea and
> > mixed it with a Diet 7-up and ice. It was actually quite good. I had
> > done this before with fruity herbal tisanes, but never with Green tea
> > before. Seems like a good low caffeine alternative to Enviga.

> Speaking of chilled, bubbly tea concoctions (that are not bubble tea),
> a few years ago, one of the then-regular posters described her results
> having tried out a cocktail of champagne mixed with oolong:
>
> <http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.drink.tea/browse_frm/thread/d...>
>
> N.

Now that sounds interesting! My boss gave me a bottle of Korbel for
Christmas that I still have (not a big drinker). I think I'll have to
try this one though - Holly just made it sound so compelling.
Although I can't imagine steeping tea for 6 hours - so I'll probably
do it the way Holly did and just steep the tea as I would normally
drink it. Thank you!

Desirea