Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Tuo Cha vs Cake

By now some of you may be aware that I recently purchased my first Tuo
Cha, - "Late 70's Lang Cang Silver Tip semi-cooked tuo cha' from Hou De.
(Thanks for the help decrypting the label folks).

Brewed this using multiple short steeps (as I would my cooked cakes) and I
found a most interesting character. First sips I noticed the typical cooked
pu'er richness and aroma, woody, soft earthy notes etc. A few seconds in,
after the brew had 'rolled' around my mouth, there arose a most distinct
sweetness - as if one would melt a single raw sugar crystal on the tongue.
This sweetness combined with the typical pu'er characters made, for me, a
very pleasant and enjoyable experience. My wife and I were blown away.

Is this typical of the leaf/process used in most tuo cha or would this
sweetness be attributed to the silver tips used in the tea ?

Alas, Hou De seemed to be out of this particular tuo cha and I can't seem to
be able to find another vendor who still has stock (I can't believe I bought
the very last piece in existence), so if anybody knows of someone who may be
able to supply some more of this wonderful tea, I'd appreciate any pointers.

--
Cheers
Mal

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Alas, Hou De seemed to be out of this particular tuo cha and I can't seem to
> be able to find another vendor who still has stock (I can't believe I bought
> the very last piece in existence), so if anybody knows of someone who may be
> able to supply some more of this wonderful tea, I'd appreciate any pointers.

No, I was the one, who bought the last one tuo-cha from Guang :-)

But If I could reccomend, try his 80 menghai brick. Beautiful leaves,
bold, strong tea with great taste and even is cheaper ! (the 70s tuo
was 55 USDD for 100 g, this menghai is 115 USD for 250g, mean 46 USD
for 100 g)

You can find the brick here http://tinyurl.com/yownnd

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

http://maloz.bigblog.com.au/index.do
"Balt" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Alas, Hou De seemed to be out of this particular tuo cha and I can't seem
>> be able to find another vendor who still has stock (I can't believe I
>> bought
>> the very last piece in existence), so if anybody knows of someone who may
>> be
>> able to supply some more of this wonderful tea, I'd appreciate any
>> pointers.

> No, I was the one, who bought the last one tuo-cha from Guang :-)
>
> But If I could reccomend, try his 80 menghai brick. Beautiful leaves,
> bold, strong tea with great taste and even is cheaper ! (the 70s tuo
> was 55 USDD for 100 g, this menghai is 115 USD for 250g, mean 46 USD
> for 100 g)
>
> You can find the brick here http://tinyurl.com/yownnd

Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely look into it. Have you
tasted the 70's Tuo Cha yet ? If so did you experience the sweetness I
described ?

--
Cheers
Mal

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 11, 6:40 am, "Mal from Oz" > wrote:
> http://maloz.bigblog.com.au/index.do"Balt" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >> Alas, Hou De seemed to be out of this particular tuo cha and I can't seem
> >> be able to find another vendor who still has stock (I can't believe I
> >> bought
> >> the very last piece in existence), so if anybody knows of someone who may
> >> be
> >> able to supply some more of this wonderful tea, I'd appreciate any
> >> pointers.

> > No, I was the one, who bought the last one tuo-cha from Guang :-)

> > But If I could reccomend, try his 80 menghai brick. Beautiful leaves,
> > bold, strong tea with great taste and even is cheaper ! (the 70s tuo
> > was 55 USDD for 100 g, this menghai is 115 USD for 250g, mean 46 USD
> > for 100 g)

> > You can find the brick herehttp://tinyurl.com/yownnd

> Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely look into it. Have you
> tasted the 70's Tuo Cha yet ? If so did you experience the sweetness I
> described ?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Mal
> Oz- Hide quoted text -

I find that most "silver tips" touchas and cakes tend too be
"sweeter", gentler that most. Shop around. I just got a lovely silver
tips from Scott at yunnansourcing and some inexpensive ($5.60 - Six
Famous Mountain 2005) touchas from touchatea.com. Hou De has a couple
of newer "silver tips" touchas, as well.
I also have a small bag of loose silver tips from Camillia in Canada
that is very tasty.
Shen
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I like Golden Bud shou in the form of a melon. Lew was right it will
probably be the first shu you will like. I don't think you can go
wrong with any puer if it has the word Bud in it. Also look for the
word GongTing. That also is indicative of premium leaf.

Jim

On Apr 11, 8:32 am, "Shen" > wrote:
> I find that most "silver tips" touchas and cakes tend too be
> "sweeter", gentler that most. Shop around. I just got a lovely silver
> tips from Scott at yunnansourcing and some inexpensive ($5.60 - Six
> Famous Mountain 2005) touchas from touchatea.com. Hou De has a couple
> of newer "silver tips" touchas, as well.
> I also have a small bag of loose silver tips from Camillia in Canada
> that is very tasty.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Mal wrote: "...By now some of you may be aware that I recently
purchased my first Tuo
Cha, - "Late 70's Lang Cang Silver Tip semi-cooked tuo cha' from Hou
De.
(Thanks for the help decrypting the label folks)..."

Hi Mal, just a little pedantic thingy...I think it is Lin Cang, not
Lang Cang.

The time period also seemed a little questionable...there were some
discussion elsewhere on the time period for this tuocha.

>From what I know, the time period at late 70's was suggested by early

Taiwanese vendors and collectors. Professor Deng Shihai (his
professorship is not tea, or agriculture related), may be the first to
set the age of this tuo at 1970's. Pictorial books published by
Taiwanese later also put it at 1970's.

Mr Zou Jiaju, who has worked in pu'er business for 30 years and
researched extensively into the background of pu'er, disputed the
claim. He claimed that up till 1984-86, the state governed the
working of the tea business in Yunnan - Lin Cang Tea Factory was in
charged of producing black (red) tea, and was one of the several
purchaser and collection centre of pu'er maocha for the bigger
factories, such as Xiaguan and Menghai Tea Factories. To corner the
market on tuocha, no other factories were allowed to produce tuocha
except Xiaguan and later, Menghai Tea Factories.

In 1984, the state no longer govern the tea business in Yunnan, and
the running of the factories were managed by individual factories.
This was when Lin Cang Tea Factory began its productions of tuochas.

Chapter 5 of the Yunnan Province Tea Import & Export Corporation
Annals 1938-1990 appeared to have confirmed what Mr Zou argued.
Professor Zhou Hongjie in his book Yunnan Pu'er also set the time
period for the Lin Cang Sheng Silver Tip tuocha at 1982, and the shou
tuocha at 1986.

Who is right and wrong is still in dispute, what is more important is
the tea itself, and as long as it was not ridiculously priced and that
you like it. Beyond that, it is just an unimportant piece of
information...

My shou Lin Cang Silver Tip has a slight medicinal note to it, it is
more pronounced on the 1st to the 4th round, then it receded to let a
vanilla sweetness take centre-stage. It is a very satisfying tea, one
to idle away a long afternoon...

Danny

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Unfortunately, I will receive it within 10 days, so I do not tasted it
yet. I will let you know then :-)

On Apr 11, 3:40 pm, "Mal from Oz" > wrote:
> http://maloz.bigblog.com.au/index.do"Balt" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> >> Alas, Hou De seemed to be out of this particular tuo cha and I can't seem
> >> be able to find another vendor who still has stock (I can't believe I
> >> bought
> >> the very last piece in existence), so if anybody knows of someone who may
> >> be
> >> able to supply some more of this wonderful tea, I'd appreciate any
> >> pointers.

> > No, I was the one, who bought the last one tuo-cha from Guang :-)

> > But If I could reccomend, try his 80 menghai brick. Beautiful leaves,
> > bold, strong tea with great taste and even is cheaper ! (the 70s tuo
> > was 55 USDD for 100 g, this menghai is 115 USD for 250g, mean 46 USD
> > for 100 g)

> > You can find the brick herehttp://tinyurl.com/yownnd

> Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely look into it. Have you
> tasted the 70's Tuo Cha yet ? If so did you experience the sweetness I
> described ?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Mal
> Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Danny,
Yes, this was cleared up previously - thanks - I was just quoting what the
tea was advertised as on Hou De. Ridiculously priced ?? US$54 is what I
paid. Probably a little high in retrospect if, as you noted, the tea is not
quite as old as advertised.

But also as you said, I find this particular tuo cha very pleasing to drink
and I have put it up there amongst my favourites to date. I'd actually buy
more if I could find it.

Whilst age of tea is sometimes open for dispute I also find that the
mysteries and myths relating to a tea's provenance to be part of the
fascination of the pursuit of tea.

Cheers
Mal
Oz

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Mal wrote: "...By now some of you may be aware that I recently
> purchased my first Tuo
> Cha, - "Late 70's Lang Cang Silver Tip semi-cooked tuo cha' from Hou
> De.
> (Thanks for the help decrypting the label folks)..."
>
> Hi Mal, just a little pedantic thingy...I think it is Lin Cang, not
> Lang Cang.
>
> The time period also seemed a little questionable...there were some
> discussion elsewhere on the time period for this tuocha.
>
>>From what I know, the time period at late 70's was suggested by early

> Taiwanese vendors and collectors. Professor Deng Shihai (his
> professorship is not tea, or agriculture related), may be the first to
> set the age of this tuo at 1970's. Pictorial books published by
> Taiwanese later also put it at 1970's.
>
> Mr Zou Jiaju, who has worked in pu'er business for 30 years and
> researched extensively into the background of pu'er, disputed the
> claim. He claimed that up till 1984-86, the state governed the
> working of the tea business in Yunnan - Lin Cang Tea Factory was in
> charged of producing black (red) tea, and was one of the several
> purchaser and collection centre of pu'er maocha for the bigger
> factories, such as Xiaguan and Menghai Tea Factories. To corner the
> market on tuocha, no other factories were allowed to produce tuocha
> except Xiaguan and later, Menghai Tea Factories.
>
> In 1984, the state no longer govern the tea business in Yunnan, and
> the running of the factories were managed by individual factories.
> This was when Lin Cang Tea Factory began its productions of tuochas.
>
> Chapter 5 of the Yunnan Province Tea Import & Export Corporation
> Annals 1938-1990 appeared to have confirmed what Mr Zou argued.
> Professor Zhou Hongjie in his book Yunnan Pu'er also set the time
> period for the Lin Cang Sheng Silver Tip tuocha at 1982, and the shou
> tuocha at 1986.
>
> Who is right and wrong is still in dispute, what is more important is
> the tea itself, and as long as it was not ridiculously priced and that
> you like it. Beyond that, it is just an unimportant piece of
> information...
>
> My shou Lin Cang Silver Tip has a slight medicinal note to it, it is
> more pronounced on the 1st to the 4th round, then it receded to let a
> vanilla sweetness take centre-stage. It is a very satisfying tea, one
> to idle away a long afternoon...
>
> Danny

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Menghai 8972 brick anyone ? ...Was:Tuo Cha vs Cake

Bugger ! That 80's Menghai 8972 is gone already from Hou De !! I actually
had looked at this before but couldn't work out whether it was blended,
semi-cooked or what. There seems to be a lot of discussion on that topic
amongst the internet tea circles.

Regardless, was willing to give it a go.

A bit late it seems. Anyone know of another vendor with stock of this brick
?

--
Cheers
Mal
Oz
http://maloz.bigblog.com.au/index.do
"Balt" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Unfortunately, I will receive it within 10 days, so I do not tasted it
> yet. I will let you know then :-)
>
> On Apr 11, 3:40 pm, "Mal from Oz" > wrote:
>> http://maloz.bigblog.com.au/index.do"Balt" > wrote
>> in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> > No, I was the one, who bought the last one tuo-cha from Guang :-)

>> > But If I could reccomend, try his 80 menghai brick. Beautiful leaves,
>> > bold, strong tea with great taste and even is cheaper ! (the 70s tuo
>> > was 55 USDD for 100 g, this menghai is 115 USD for 250g, mean 46 USD
>> > for 100 g)

>> > You can find the brick herehttp://tinyurl.com/yownnd

>> Thanks for the recommendation, I will definitely look into it. Have
>> you
>> tasted the 70's Tuo Cha yet ? If so did you experience the sweetness I
>> described ?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Mal
>> Oz

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Apr 12, 8:54 am, "Mal from Oz" > wrote:

> Whilst age of tea is sometimes open for dispute I also find that the
> mysteries and myths relating to a tea's provenance to be part of the
> fascination of the pursuit of tea.

It is indeed the interesting part - and also the frustrating part,
especially when you love and pay for a tea at a price befitting that
of an older age but found it should be much cheaper - it's like paying
the price of an Audi for a Honda - now that will really peeved me.

Forgot to mention that at the time of the production, there was no
such thing as 30% raw 70% shou for this tuocha. It was either raw or
shou.

Danny

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
KM KM is offline

> Bugger ! That 80's Menghai 8972 is gone already from Hou De !! I
> actually had looked at this before but couldn't work out whether it was
> blended, semi-cooked or what. There seems to be a lot of discussion on
> that topic amongst the internet tea circles.
>

> A bit late it seems. Anyone know of another vendor with stock of this
> brick ?

You've got to be quick these days when you spot something that looks
promising. I've seen things listed on some sites and be sold out within the
hour. And I'm not talking cheap cakes here. Aged stuff is just vanishing
all over the net into somebody's deep dark pu-erh closet. Its the most
amazing thing I've seen.

Kat