Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Good time to buy tea?

Hi all! I'm thinking of buying some Chinese greens, black, oolongs and
whites. Do you think this is good time to buy tea or should I wait for
the time after spring harvest 07? When will those teas be available?
If I order green tea now, those teas are almost year old (for example
in Teaspring.com) - are they still fresh and of high quality? I have
understood that at least blacks stay fresh for a longer time. How
about oolongs, whites?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 7, 5:51 pm, wrote:
> Hi all! I'm thinking of buying some Chinese greens, black, oolongs and
> whites. Do you think this is good time to buy tea or should I wait for
> the time after spring harvest 07? When will those teas be available?
> If I order green tea now, those teas are almost year old (for example
> in Teaspring.com) - are they still fresh and of high quality? I have
> understood that at least blacks stay fresh for a longer time. How
> about oolongs, whites?

I'd suggest you might as well wait. However, the problem with a lot
of online vendors is that you really have no way to tell whether what
they're offering is really 07 or not. Some will tell you, others
won't, and the really unscrupulous ones will tell you its 07 but sell
you 06 tea. Unless you know what you're getting, chances are you
can't tell.

Then again, it also depends on the quality of the tea you're buying,
and the type of tea. Like you said, black doesn't really matter that
much. Neither will the heavier oolongs matter much (at least not in
terms of age). If your green are of the cheaper variety, chances are
it won't matter much either.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 7, 3:51 am, wrote:
> Hi all! I'm thinking of buying some Chinese greens, black, oolongs and
> whites. Do you think this is good time to buy tea or should I wait for
> the time after spring harvest 07? When will those teas be available?
> If I order green tea now, those teas are almost year old (for example
> in Teaspring.com) - are they still fresh and of high quality? I have
> understood that at least blacks stay fresh for a longer time. How
> about oolongs, whites?

I think you'll be fine ordering some black and oolong in small
quantity. They should be fine to drink and still be fresh enough. My
advice, which is advice from others, would be to order just a small
amount to tide you over until the fresh 2007 batches come in.

-Steven
http://www.stevendodd.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 7, 1:51 am, wrote:
> Hi all! I'm thinking of buying some Chinese greens, black, oolongs and
> whites. Do you think this is good time to buy tea or should I wait for
> the time after spring harvest 07? When will those teas be available?
> If I order green tea now, those teas are almost year old (for example
> in Teaspring.com) - are they still fresh and of high quality? I have
> understood that at least blacks stay fresh for a longer time. How
> about oolongs, whites?

I thought I'd take a little different approach he because it is the
week before Asian New Year's Day, the shelves seemed stocked with teas
in all the Chinatowns I've been to this past week: Oakland, San
Francisco, Los Angeles and Monterey Park. There are lots of gift
tinsof teas and what seems to be very fresh loose teas as well.
Oakland Chinatown even had a couple of bingchas and touchas on the
shelves.I even (FINALLY!) found a big tin of Butterfly Brand Tie Guan
Yin for $10.00 (which is probably high).
It's may favorite time of year to stock up on Chinese cooking
ingredients and the produce stands are just loaded with pomeloes and
durians and chestnuts in anticipation of the celebratory meals.
Shen
I think it goes : Gong Hay Fat Choy!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dear Shen

I had the same thought as you, but did some research.

Generally, avoid drinking the "new" tea. The optimum time to drink
longjing tea, for example, is one month to one year (if stored
properly). Yes, even green tea has to matured after being made.

There is also the practical issue of where you buy your tea. If you
live in the Western world, for most vendors, it takes at least nine
months before the tea gets there. So it is no point waiting.

Hope this helps.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

What was the BB TGY FL# and does it compare to the imperial gold
oolong you mentioned?

Jim

PS Wait a month and get mooncakes for half price.

> I thought I'd take a little different approach he because it is the
> week before Asian New Year's Day, the shelves seemed stocked with teas
> in all the Chinatowns I've been to this past week: Oakland, San
> Francisco, Los Angeles and Monterey Park. There are lots of gift
> tinsof teas and what seems to be very fresh loose teas as well.
> Oakland Chinatown even had a couple of bingchas and touchas on the
> shelves.I even (FINALLY!) found a big tin of Butterfly Brand Tie Guan
> Yin for $10.00 (which is probably high).
> It's may favorite time of year to stock up on Chinese cooking
> ingredients and the produce stands are just loaded with pomeloes and
> durians and chestnuts in anticipation of the celebratory meals.
> Shen
> I think it goes : Gong Hay Fat Choy!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 8, 9:41 pm, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> What was the BB TGY FL# and does it compare to the imperial gold
> oolong you mentioned?
>
> Jim
>
> PS Wait a month and get mooncakes for half price.

But Longjing doesn't go half price, no matter time of the year.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 8, 5:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> What was the BB TGY FL# and does it compare to the imperial gold
> oolong you mentioned?
>
> Jim
>
> PS Wait a month and get mooncakes for half price.
>

> > I thought I'd take a little different approach he because it is the
> > week before Asian New Year's Day, the shelves seemed stocked with teas
> > in all the Chinatowns I've been to this past week: Oakland, San
> > Francisco, Los Angeles and Monterey Park. There are lots of gift
> > tinsof teas and what seems to be very fresh loose teas as well.
> > Oakland Chinatown even had a couple of bingchas and touchas on the
> > shelves.I even (FINALLY!) found a big tin of Butterfly Brand Tie Guan
> > Yin for $10.00 (which is probably high).
> > It's may favorite time of year to stock up on Chinese cooking
> > ingredients and the produce stands are just loaded with pomeloes and
> > durians and chestnuts in anticipation of the celebratory meals.
> > Shen
> > I think it goes : Gong Hay Fat Choy!- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, Jim. No tin here.
I'm in LA for a week and when I get back, I'll get you the code.
The tin is about 9 inches tall and mostly beige/brown (if that helps).
I'll get you some, if you'd like.
It's okay. I am a little spoiled with Tie Guan Yin since our local,
fancy tea store (Far Leaves - Berkeley ) has some really good, albeit
expensive, stuff!
It seems to me that the "Butterfly Brand" is about the same as what I
bought in bulk at the Chinese grocery in Oakland.
BTW, I did also but an oolong in that shop that was called "Six
Treasures". I can't find that name anywhere; but, it was weird and
lovely. I really don't care too much for scented teas anymore; but
this tea went from orange blossomy (very light), probably an
osmanthus? to a jasmine-y (also very light), and then to a toasty,
roasted flavour. It was cheap - $22.00 a pound.
I didn't buy too much and, actually I'd get it again since the
flavours are so intriguing.
I am heading to Wing Hop Fung tomorrow and will sniff around there for
some interesting stuff!
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Six treasures? å…*寶, which might be a fancy way of saying å…*å*¡?

What do the tea leaves look like?

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

On Feb 9, 1:07Â*am, "Shen" > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 5:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
>

> > What was the BB TGY FL# and does it compare to the imperial gold
> > oolong you mentioned?

> > Jim

> > PS Â*Wait a month and get mooncakes for half price.

> > > I thought I'd take a little different approach he because it is the
> > > week before Asian New Year's Day, the shelves seemed stocked with teas
> > > in all the Chinatowns I've been to this past week: Oakland, San
> > > Francisco, Los Angeles and Monterey Park. There are lots of gift
> > > tinsof teas and what seems to be very fresh loose teas as well.
> > > Oakland Chinatown even had a couple of bingchas and touchas on the
> > > shelves.I even (FINALLY!) found a big tin of Butterfly Brand Tie Guan
> > > Yin for $10.00 (which is probably high).
> > > It's may favorite time of year to stock up on Chinese cooking
> > > ingredients and the produce stands are just loaded with pomeloes and
> > > durians and chestnuts in anticipation of the celebratory meals.
> > > Shen
> > > I think it goes : Gong Hay Fat Choy!- Hide quoted text -

> Sorry, Jim. No tin here.
> I'm in LA for a week and when I get back, I'll get you the code.
> The tin is about 9 inches tall and mostly beige/brown (if that helps).
> I'll get you some, if you'd like.
> It's okay. I am a little spoiled with Tie Guan Yin since our local,
> fancy tea store (Far Leaves - Berkeley ) has some really good, albeit
> expensive, Â*stuff!
> It seems to me that the "Butterfly Brand" is about the same as what I
> bought in bulk at the Chinese grocery in Oakland.
> BTW, I did also but an oolong in that shop that was called "Six
> Treasures". I can't find that name anywhere; but, it was weird and
> lovely. I really don't care too much for scented teas anymore; but
> this tea went from orange blossomy (very light), probably an
> osmanthus? to a jasmine-y (also very light), and then to a toasty,
> roasted flavour. It was cheap - $22.00 a pound.
> I didn't buy too much and, actually I'd get it again since the
> flavours are so intriguing.
> I am heading to Wing Hop Fung tomorrow and will sniff around there for
> some interesting stuff!
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 8, 10:36Â*am, "MarshalN" > wrote:
> Six treasures? Â*å…*寶, which might be a fancy way of saying å…*å*¡?
>
> What do the tea leaves look like?
>
> MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN
>
> On Feb 9, 1:07Â*am, "Shen" > wrote:
>

> > On Feb 8, 5:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:

> > > What was the BB TGY FL# and does it compare to the imperial gold
> > > oolong you mentioned?

> > > Jim

> > > PS Â*Wait a month and get mooncakes for half price.

> > Sorry, Jim. No tin here.
> > I'm in LA for a week and when I get back, I'll get you the code.
> > The tin is about 9 inches tall and mostly beige/brown (if that helps).
> > I'll get you some, if you'd like.
> > It's okay. I am a little spoiled with Tie Guan Yin since our local,
> > fancy tea store (Far Leaves - Berkeley ) has some really good, albeit
> > expensive, Â*stuff!
> > It seems to me that the "Butterfly Brand" is about the same as what I
> > bought in bulk at the Chinese grocery in Oakland.
> > BTW, I did also but an oolong in that shop that was called "Six
> > Treasures". I can't find that name anywhere; but, it was weird and
> > lovely. I really don't care too much for scented teas anymore; but
> > this tea went from orange blossomy (very light), probably an
> > osmanthus? to a jasmine-y (also very light), and then to a toasty,
> > roasted flavour. It was cheap - $22.00 a pound.
> > I didn't buy too much and, actually I'd get it again since the
> > flavours are so intriguing.
> > I am heading to Wing Hop Fung tomorrow and will sniff around there for
> > some interesting stuff!
> > Shen- Hide quoted text -

Wet: long, narrow, brown and dark green.
Dry: dark, a few stem, skinny leaves.
Very dark and fragrant (but not flowery) in the bin.
Next time I'm in Oakland Chinatown, I'll ask for the Chinese
characters.
I really liked this tea, though.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>From my notes:

"Eight Treasure Tea is a famous blend herbs, flowers, green tea and
dried fruit. It consists of Xinjiang Green Raisins, Red Jujube,
longan,lycium, crystal sugar, white chrysanthemum, dried date, and
green tea."

Also from my notes å…*å*¡ is considered a fermented black tea.

Jim

On Feb 8, 11:36Â*am, "MarshalN" > wrote:
> Six treasures? Â*å…*寶, which might be a fancy way of saying å…*å*¡?
>
> What do the tea leaves look like?
>
> MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN
>
> On Feb 9, 1:07Â*am, "Shen" > wrote:
>

> > On Feb 8, 5:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:

> > > What was the BB TGY FL# and does it compare to the imperial gold
> > > oolong you mentioned?

> > > Jim

> > > PS Â*Wait a month and get mooncakes for half price.

> > Sorry, Jim. No tin here.
> > I'm in LA for a week and when I get back, I'll get you the code.
> > The tin is about 9 inches tall and mostly beige/brown (if that helps).
> > I'll get you some, if you'd like.
> > It's okay. I am a little spoiled with Tie Guan Yin since our local,
> > fancy tea store (Far Leaves - Berkeley ) has some really good, albeit
> > expensive, Â*stuff!
> > It seems to me that the "Butterfly Brand" is about the same as what I
> > bought in bulk at the Chinese grocery in Oakland.
> > BTW, I did also but an oolong in that shop that was called "Six
> > Treasures". I can't find that name anywhere; but, it was weird and
> > lovely. I really don't care too much for scented teas anymore; but
> > this tea went from orange blossomy (very light), probably an
> > osmanthus? to a jasmine-y (also very light), and then to a toasty,
> > roasted flavour. It was cheap - $22.00 a pound.
> > I didn't buy too much and, actually I'd get it again since the
> > flavours are so intriguing.
> > I am heading to Wing Hop Fung tomorrow and will sniff around there for
> > some interesting stuff!
> > Shen- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Shen,

Thanks for the offer but I have enough tea to start my own country.
I'm curious which FL was $10. I doubt you paid more because Chinatown
prices are the same across the country. I don't know if Wing Hop Fung
is one store or several but I saw on TV last night the owner has a
$15000 ginseng root which is exactly suppose to look like a man. I
will say the Chinese see nature differently than the West.

Jim

On Feb 8, 10:07 am, "Shen" > wrote:
> On Feb 8, 5:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:

....I delete me and you...

> Sorry, Jim. No tin here.
> I'm in LA for a week and when I get back, I'll get you the code.
> The tin is about 9 inches tall and mostly beige/brown (if that helps).
> I'll get you some, if you'd like.
> It's okay. I am a little spoiled with Tie Guan Yin since our local,
> fancy tea store (Far Leaves - Berkeley ) has some really good, albeit
> expensive, stuff!
> It seems to me that the "Butterfly Brand" is about the same as what I
> bought in bulk at the Chinese grocery in Oakland.
> BTW, I did also but an oolong in that shop that was called "Six
> Treasures". I can't find that name anywhere; but, it was weird and
> lovely. I really don't care too much for scented teas anymore; but
> this tea went from orange blossomy (very light), probably an
> osmanthus? to a jasmine-y (also very light), and then to a toasty,
> roasted flavour. It was cheap - $22.00 a pound.
> I didn't buy too much and, actually I'd get it again since the
> flavours are so intriguing.
> I am heading to Wing Hop Fung tomorrow and will sniff around there for
> some interesting stuff!
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Feb 9, 6:05 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> Shen,
>
> Thanks for the offer but I have enough tea to start my own country.
> I'm curious which FL was $10. I doubt you paid more because Chinatown
> prices are the same across the country. I don't know if Wing Hop Fung
> is one store or several but I saw on TV last night the owner has a
> $15000 ginseng root which is exactly suppose to look like a man. I
> will say the Chinese see nature differently than the West.
>
> Jim
>
> On Feb 8, 10:07 am, "Shen" > wrote:> On Feb 8, 5:41 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
>
> ...I delete me and you...
>

> > Sorry, Jim. No tin here.
> > I'm in LA for a week and when I get back, I'll get you the code.
> > The tin is about 9 inches tall and mostly beige/brown (if that helps).
> > I'll get you some, if you'd like.
> > It's okay. I am a little spoiled with Tie Guan Yin since our local,
> > fancy tea store (Far Leaves - Berkeley ) has some really good, albeit
> > expensive, stuff!
> > It seems to me that the "Butterfly Brand" is about the same as what I
> > bought in bulk at the Chinese grocery in Oakland.
> > BTW, I did also but an oolong in that shop that was called "Six
> > Treasures". I can't find that name anywhere; but, it was weird and
> > lovely. I really don't care too much for scented teas anymore; but
> > this tea went from orange blossomy (very light), probably an
> > osmanthus? to a jasmine-y (also very light), and then to a toasty,
> > roasted flavour. It was cheap - $22.00 a pound.
> > I didn't buy too much and, actually I'd get it again since the
> > flavours are so intriguing.
> > I am heading to Wing Hop Fung tomorrow and will sniff around there for
> > some interesting stuff!
> > Shen- Hide quoted text -

Hummmm...........doesn't look or taste like that.........when I get
back, I'll check it out more thoroughly. It really runs the gamut from
orange blossomy to jasminey.
I ahve a Cantonese speaking friend whom I'll drag to Chinatown with me
to enquire.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Just a possibility. Maybe the word 'treasures' has more meaning than
the word 'cups' when it comes to tea.

Jim

On Feb 9, 8:47 am, "Shen" > wrote:
> On Feb 9, 6:05 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:

...for the curious use Google...
> Hummmm...........doesn't look or taste like that.........when I get
> back, I'll check it out more thoroughly. It really runs the gamut from
> orange blossomy to jasminey.
> I ahve a Cantonese speaking friend whom I'll drag to Chinatown with me
> to enquire.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just a possibility. Maybe the word 'treasures' has more meaning than
> the word 'cups' when it comes to tea.
>
> Jim

That's probably the truth...when I think of a tea called six (or however
many) treasures, I think of those packs of tisanes that include multiple
ingredients like rock sugar, wolfberries, chrysanthimum, etc...not what Shen
was talking about obviously.

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Space Cowboy

When I hear description of a kaleidoscope tea I automatically think of
a hidden teasure. However if it turns out to be all tea then I want a
boat load.

Jim

On Feb 9, 10:02 pm, "Melinda" > wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > Just a possibility. Maybe the word 'treasures' has more meaning than
> > the word 'cups' when it comes to tea.

> > Jim

> That's probably the truth...when I think of a tea called six (or however
> many) treasures, I think of those packs of tisanes that include multiple
> ingredients like rock sugar, wolfberries, chrysanthimum, etc...not what Shen
> was talking about obviously.
>
> Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>Just a possibility. Maybe the word 'treasures' has more meaning than
>the word 'cups' when it comes to tea.

I only drink four cups of six treasures tea from the Eight Obscure Tea
Mountains.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2007-02-13, Scott Dorsey > wrote:
> I only drink four cups of six treasures tea from the Eight Obscure Tea
> Mountains.

But you don't get it at Ten Ren, I presume?

N.