Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default What's been in your cup lately?

Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
been in your cups lately?

Mine:

Snow Leopard Buds
Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
Jasmine Pearls
Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
not too plain)
Jasmine green mini-tuo's
Kukicha (green)
Mlesna Ice Wine tea
and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam

Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
little too creamy for my tastes)

With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
hear some other choices to move into.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Me:
Jing's Da Hong Pao
ITC's Topaz pu-erh
Fragrant Leaves' Monkey-picked Tie Kuan Yin
Yunnan Sourcing Black/gold tippy buds
Shen

On Jan 26, 8:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?
>
> Mine:
>
> Snow Leopard Buds
> Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> Jasmine Pearls
> Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> not too plain)
> Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> Kukicha (green)
> Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam
>
> Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> little too creamy for my tastes)
>
> With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> hear some other choices to move into.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

Being known as a tea nutso in my family, my old father brought more and
more tea for me. These are the greener (qing xiang) oolongs of so-so
quality that are packaged in absolutely beautiful looking boxes and
cans designed to initially impress the giftee. My father gets A LOT of
these from his business contacts in China and Taiwan, and they usually
end up with me (the tea that is).

So I've been drinking a lot of those so-so greener oolongs. I just
chuck the leaves into a large coffee mug, rinse once and steep. No
hassle. Green, grassy, and sometimes seaweed-y. Not yum, not yech,
just tea.

I guess with one exception: 2001 Xia Guan iron beeng, which was quite
nice.

Phyll

On Jan 26, 8:56 am, "Shen" > wrote:
> Me:
> Jing's Da Hong Pao
> ITC's Topaz pu-erh
> Fragrant Leaves' Monkey-picked Tie Kuan Yin
> Yunnan Sourcing Black/gold tippy buds
> Shen
>
> On Jan 26, 8:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>

> > Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> > livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> > grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> > been in your cups lately?

> > Mine:

> > Snow Leopard Buds
> > Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> > Jasmine Pearls
> > Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> > not too plain)
> > Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> > Kukicha (green)
> > Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> > and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam

> > Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> > the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> > little too creamy for my tastes)

> > With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> > global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> > go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> > hear some other choices to move into.

> > - Dominic- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Also, Dominic,
You may want to try Jing's Guang Xi Gui Ping Shan Cha. This is so
reasonably priced and absolutely delicious. Although Jing calls
this"everyday tea", it's just too luscious to be ordinary. AND,
amazingly inexpensive, too $3.99 for 100 grams.
>From what you've written in past posts, I think you'd love this tea.

Shen

On Jan 26, 8:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?
>
> Mine:
>
> Snow Leopard Buds
> Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> Jasmine Pearls
> Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> not too plain)
> Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> Kukicha (green)
> Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam
>
> Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> little too creamy for my tastes)
>
> With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> hear some other choices to move into.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Assam, Rembeng Estate, CTCBOP a dark, black, strong,
blow-your-head-off-in-the-morning tea. Nilgiri, Dunsindale Estate,
flowery, nutty. Tai Mu Long Zu in little unfurling balls. Sencha
which starts tasting more asperagusy than grassy. The last two can do
an easy three steepings, fading to a sweet flower finish. A Ceylon
Earl Grey which I don't like but an occasional pot sharer does.
Toci

On Jan 26, 10:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?
>
> Mine:
>
> Snow Leopard Buds
> Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> Jasmine Pearls
> Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> not too plain)
> Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> Kukicha (green)
> Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam
>
> Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> little too creamy for my tastes)
>
> With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> hear some other choices to move into.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Good thread, Dom.

I've been enjoying some baozhong samples, originally from Stephane
Erler of Teamasters, courtesy of xCasperx - very decent. Good for the
bright winter weather. "Half-wild" and "lily flower" were their
informal names.

I read your shuixian notes with interest - I'm after a good one. Any
recommendations, anyone? Also, recommendations for suitable pot
characteristics for this tea would be welcome - thin/thick, round/
tall, &c.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I don't think Min Pei is indicative of Da Hong Pao perse. It simply
means Northern Fujian. Min is an old name for Fujian and Pei or Bei
is north.

Jim

On Jan 26, 9:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Seven Cups Lao Cong Shui Xian is wonderful,

http://www.sevencups.com/tea-shop/home.php?cat=277

and I would highly recommend any of the Shui Xian teas from Golden Tea
House. They are really refined. I have some from last year and it
has actually improved with age.

http://www.goldenteahouse.com/Oolong_Tea.php

I have never ordered a tea I didn't appreciate from this company,
including their Tribute Puerh which I think is one of the best 5 yr
old cooked loose puers out there, with a flavor very reminiscent of
Roy Fong's Special Reserve. So good.

My teafaring has been taking place in the world of roasted teas, and
figuring out which teapots are best for my Rou Gui (I have about 40+
acquired from our favorite vendors, ebay, and locally). The Seven
Cups Imperial Rou Gui has a haunting, lingering flavor in one of my
smaller Zhuni pots (I would add a link to a picture but am not at home
as I'm writing this). I also think Jing's Traditional Rou Gui is a
warm, delicious drink with great spiciness.

Houde's Mu-Zha Tieguanyin is a phenomenal value for it has a wonderful
fruity flavor against a soft roasted background, and frankly it's
addicting. Their Light-Roasted Wood Fired oolong is another delicious
tea, for its smoothness is remarkable. It lasts for many brews, I
think I got 8 at work, and probably could have got one more.

I've also been drinking Taiwanese high mountain oolongs, one from 2480
feet that I got from Houde. Wow this one is good, esp. in a zhuni
teapot. The flavors are deep and rich, with vegetal and floral
overtones. They play across the tongue so remarkably that there is no
way one can deny that one is in the presence of a remarkable tea to be
savored.

Has anyone else had the experience with TGY wang that it tastes like
delicious water? I've bought several recently that deliver on the
green vegetal kind of like the Taiwanese HMO, but not on the
complexity and aftertaste.

Danica

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I bought this from a local coffee roaster who has been venturing into
selling teas. The tin was only labeled "Min Pei (Red Robe)" It is very
good and hints towards the Shui Xian I had, but not quite the same. It
was pretty expensive so I didn't buy a ton as it was an unknown to me
at the time.

Dominic

On Jan 27, 10:02 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> I don't think Min Pei is indicative of Da Hong Pao perse. It simply
> means Northern Fujian. Min is an old name for Fujian and Pei or Bei
> is north.
>
> Jim
>
> On Jan 26, 9:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>
> > Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Hobbes,

I have been doing a lot of exploring about pot characteristics. I'm
discovering that shape is important, but more so is the clay.

I have a lot of high-end pots, ebay pots, vendor pots that I have been
exploring with teas (I'll brew a gaiwan then distribute through 3
teapots, whoever tastes the best wins). A shorter fatter lo pan type
with a wide mouth turned out to be better for tieguanyin than a
rounder pot which by its shape should have been the winner. The clay
brought out more of the fruit and floral and softened the roasting.

Technically the best kind of pot for Shui Xian should be a taller pot
that retains the heat with a domed lid where the fragrance can
collect. Zhuni better than zini to bring out the aroma (as it is
supposed to be narcissus). I currently am using a heizini pot and a
teeny but tall zhuni to brew my shui xian. The heizini subdues the
roasting and brings out the tea flavor, while the zhuni puts the
roasting in the background with a lot of warmth.

Personally I would go to a vendor who you trust and ask them to pick
out a pot that will render the tea you like the best. I have found
that I can trust Stephane Erler, Guang of Houde, Jing, and if you ask
Anling of 5000friend on ebay he will give you a recommendation, he
hasn't yet steered me wrong. The pots are not the quality of Houde,
but they are also cheaper (I'm still saving for my Houde Zhuni
however!!!)

The other interesting candidate for a good pot is Bill from
Chinaflair www.chinaflairtea.com. He and I have had extensive
discussions and he claims his pots make his tea taste so good you will
drink all of it quickly and buy more. He is very knowledgable and
although I haven't ordered from him yet I am intrigued.

Danica

On Jan 27, 4:41 am, "HobbesOxon" > wrote:
> Good thread, Dom.
>
> I've been enjoying some baozhong samples, originally from Stephane
> Erler of Teamasters, courtesy of xCasperx - very decent. Good for the
> bright winter weather. "Half-wild" and "lily flower" were their
> informal names.
>
> I read your shuixian notes with interest - I'm after a good one. Any
> recommendations, anyone? Also, recommendations for suitable pot
> characteristics for this tea would be welcome - thin/thick, round/
> tall, &c.
>
> Toodlepip,
>
> Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I haven't been too happy with what's in my cup lately and I don't know
why. I've tried 60 or 70 teas over the last few months, and had
pretty much come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a
bad tea: green, oolong, China and India blacks, and 2 or 3 pu'er
samples. Since I'd really enjoyed Harney's Da Hong Pao and generally
like black and strong teas, I decided to try more dark oolongs, hoping
for some robust version of the heady aromas in high mountain light
oolong. Got some Shui Xian & a dark roast Rou Gui from Generation Tea
and also a Song Zhong Dan Chong from TeaSpring. These things arrived
yesterday and I spent the afternoon and evening brewing them in a
small gaiwan at various times and temperatures trying to get something
I liked.

Over and over I kept finding unpleasantly (to me) smokey, burnt
tastes. Cigar butts, ashtrays, forest fires kept coming to mind.
Maybe chewing tobacco laced with sugar.

There are several possible explanations for my unhappy day of tea--

1) these are just not the teas for me (alternately: I'm just not man
enough for these tough-guy teas),

2) the samples I tried were over-fired and may not be good examples of
their ilk,

3) they will be better in a year or two if I leave them alone till
then,

4) I just need to hang in there and develop a taste for these things.

I am tempted, Danica, to try the Shui Xian and Rou Gui examples you
suggest, but after yesterday I'm afraid I may just hate them. Would
you call them very smokey or sweet-burnt tasting?

On Jan 27, 4:13 pm, "Danica" > wrote:
> Seven Cups Lao Cong Shui Xian is wonderful,
>
> http://www.sevencups.com/tea-shop/home.php?cat=277
>
> and I would highly recommend any of the Shui Xian teas from Golden Tea
> House. They are really refined. I have some from last year and it
> has actually improved with age.
>
> http://www.goldenteahouse.com/Oolong_Tea.php
>
> I have never ordered a tea I didn't appreciate from this company,
> including their Tribute Puerh which I think is one of the best 5 yr
> old cooked loose puers out there, with a flavor very reminiscent of
> Roy Fong's Special Reserve. So good.
>
> My teafaring has been taking place in the world of roasted teas, and
> figuring out which teapots are best for my Rou Gui (I have about 40+
> acquired from our favorite vendors, ebay, and locally). The Seven
> Cups Imperial Rou Gui has a haunting, lingering flavor in one of my
> smaller Zhuni pots (I would add a link to a picture but am not at home
> as I'm writing this). I also think Jing's Traditional Rou Gui is a
> warm, delicious drink with great spiciness.
>
> Houde's Mu-Zha Tieguanyin is a phenomenal value for it has a wonderful
> fruity flavor against a soft roasted background, and frankly it's
> addicting. Their Light-Roasted Wood Fired oolong is another delicious
> tea, for its smoothness is remarkable. It lasts for many brews, I
> think I got 8 at work, and probably could have got one more.
>
> I've also been drinking Taiwanese high mountain oolongs, one from 2480
> feet that I got from Houde. Wow this one is good, esp. in a zhuni
> teapot. The flavors are deep and rich, with vegetal and floral
> overtones. They play across the tongue so remarkably that there is no
> way one can deny that one is in the presence of a remarkable tea to be
> savored.
>
> Has anyone else had the experience with TGY wang that it tastes like
> delicious water? I've bought several recently that deliver on the
> green vegetal kind of like the Taiwanese HMO, but not on the
> complexity and aftertaste.
>
> Danica

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

toci--

Where do you get your 2 Indian teas?

On Jan 27, 2:37 am, "toci" > wrote:
> Assam, Rembeng Estate, CTCBOP a dark, black, strong,
> blow-your-head-off-in-the-morning tea. Nilgiri, Dunsindale Estate,
> flowery, nutty. Tai Mu Long Zu in little unfurling balls. Sencha
> which starts tasting more asperagusy than grassy. The last two can do
> an easy three steepings, fading to a sweet flower finish. A Ceylon
> Earl Grey which I don't like but an occasional pot sharer does.
> Toci
>
> On Jan 26, 10:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>

> > Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> > livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> > grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> > been in your cups lately?

> > Mine:

> > Snow Leopard Buds
> > Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> > Jasmine Pearls
> > Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> > not too plain)
> > Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> > Kukicha (green)
> > Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> > and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam

> > Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> > the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> > little too creamy for my tastes)

> > With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> > global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> > go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> > hear some other choices to move into.

> > - Dominic- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

All the tea except the Sencha is Upton. Toci

On Jan 27, 5:33 pm, "Salsero" > wrote:
> toci--
>
> Where do you get your 2 Indian teas?
>
> On Jan 27, 2:37 am, "toci" > wrote:
>

> > Assam, Rembeng Estate, CTCBOP a dark, black, strong,
> > blow-your-head-off-in-the-morning tea. Nilgiri, Dunsindale Estate,
> > flowery, nutty. Tai Mu Long Zu in little unfurling balls. Sencha
> > which starts tasting more asperagusy than grassy. The last two can do
> > an easy three steepings, fading to a sweet flower finish. A Ceylon
> > Earl Grey which I don't like but an occasional pot sharer does.
> > Toci

> > On Jan 26, 10:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:

> > > Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> > > livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> > > grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> > > been in your cups lately?

> > > Mine:

> > > Snow Leopard Buds
> > > Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> > > Jasmine Pearls
> > > Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> > > not too plain)
> > > Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> > > Kukicha (green)
> > > Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> > > and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam

> > > Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> > > the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> > > little too creamy for my tastes)

> > > With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> > > global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> > > go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> > > hear some other choices to move into.

> > > - Dominic- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Dominic,
Well have you tried the Assam Silver Needle White Tea.It really has a
sweet after taste.
If you liked the Snow Leopard Buds, this one is a must try for you.

Regards,
Zach

Dominic T. wrote:
> Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?
>
> Mine:
>
> Snow Leopard Buds
> Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> Jasmine Pearls
> Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> not too plain)
> Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> Kukicha (green)
> Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam
>
> Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> little too creamy for my tastes)
>
> With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> hear some other choices to move into.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

OK:

Mengku Original Ancient Silver Bud Tea 2006
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...pagename=STRK%
3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280057722788&rd=1&rd=1>
(which has an nice finish for so new a tea, I think) -- A similar cake on
order from Yunnan Sourcing is eagerly awaited.

Haiwan Raw Mini Tuo
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...pagename=STRK%
3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260061516973&rd=1&rd=1>

Cooked mini tuochas from Upton and Holy Mountain (definitely prefer
"Camel's Breath" from this source, but it is more pricey).

Very nice TGY from my Chinatown, visible at
<http://catalog.giccorp.com/catalog/TEO20+product.html>

Ozzy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I thought I replied to this earlier but it never made it onto the
board... sorry about that. I have some thoughts!

Here's my take: your Shui Xian sounds like it's poorly roasted and is
possibly not a high quality tea. There shouldn't be any cigarette
butt, tobacco-type flavors, just a smooth tea, almost red-tea flavor
without the tannins, and a hint of roast. It should taste good and
make you want to drink another cup. Rou Gui has a little more of a
roasty 'kick' to it that leaves a kind of 'spiciness' on the tongue
but it's in no way reminiscent of smoke or sweet burnt. In essense
it's fruity, a little woody with a spicy note that is probably
attributable to roasting but I would say not quite. Of the two teas
I'm drinking right now, the Imperial has the spiciness much stronger
than the Traditional, which is more roasty. It may take you a few
tries to identify the flavor I'm talking about, it's like pepper and
lingers. To that end you may want to order samples of several
different wuyis. If you want an excellent sampler there is one on
Houde's website. Jing's also does samples, as does Stephane Erler. If
you email Goldenteahouse or Seven Cups you can probably get samples
from them too. These teas are really good so if you like reds, I
suspect you will like their WuYi Yancha. Don't give up because of a
bad batch!!!

Keep in mind you should brew these teas at very high temperatures,
almost boiling, to really see what they can do.

Regarding the Song Zhong Dancong, it's not a typical oolong. It's not
a WuYi Yancha either, although it looks like one. It's a special kind
of tea they drink in the south of China, and it's very fragrant and
simultaneously bitter. You are supposed to brew it almost filling the
gaiwan to the top (so it is 80% full or so when wet) and then super
short steeps--pour water in, pour water out. This will maximize the
taste and minimize the bitterness. Alternately you can brew smaller
amounts but the flavor is thinner. One way of brewing Song Zhong
dancong that I've heard about is to put a few leaves in a bottle of
cold water overnight and then drink. The best dancong is single bush
(all dancong is supposed to be, but many times it's not), and not
everyone is an expert on dancong tea so some tea vendors are selling
the stuff but it's not amazing, it's just ok. Here are people who
have excellent dancong: Jing, Mike Ryan of M&Js www.mandjs.com, and
Kam at Funalliance sells it as Snowflake Lone Bush. All of these made
me love the tea.

This one also needs to be brewed at almost boiling temperatures.

Let me know what happens!

On Jan 27, 3:28 pm, "Salsero" > wrote:
> [...]

> > fruity flavor against a soft roasted background, and frankly it's
> > addicting. Their Light-Roasted Wood Fired oolong is another delicious
> > tea, for its smoothness is remarkable. It lasts for many brews, I
> > think I got 8 at work, and probably could have got one more.

> > I've also been drinking Taiwanese high mountain oolongs, one from 2480
> > feet that I got from Houde. Wow this one is good, esp. in a zhuni
> > teapot. The flavors are deep and rich, with vegetal and floral
> > overtones. They play across the tongue so remarkably that there is no
> > way one can deny that one is in the presence of a remarkable tea to be
> > savored.

> > Has anyone else had the experience with TGY wang that it tastes like
> > delicious water? I've bought several recently that deliver on the
> > green vegetal kind of like the Taiwanese HMO, but not on the

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T."

I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?

I've been drinking through some old (from 2005) greens that are not bad
enough to throw out, they're not primo but really they're not horrible
either. Bian Cha, Huang Shan Mao Feng, and also a Darjeeling from 2005
(Avongrove FF). A bit from a sample of Feng Huang Wu Dong Zhi Lan Dancong
from Jing. I've been putting about two tablespoons (of the greens and
Darjeeling, not the Dancong-that's a gainwan steeper) in my small tea
thermos (Yellow Mountain Imports type) and then using that for gong fu,
since it already has the screen in it. I bring a thermos full of hot water
to my desk with me, a glass, and the thermos and I can drink all afternoon.
I have really been going to the bitter end with these teas though, I think I
got 6 or 7 out of the Bian Cha today and when I first bought it I only got
about three, lol....Not much taste but the water still had a little color. I
did use hot water for the greens though, very short steeps, and it wasn't so
bad. I think I remember someone saying the better Chinese greens can stand
hotter temps than sencha.

Biancha was from Teaspring, the Avongrove was from Kyela...HSMF was also
Teaspring. I have to get through these greens so I can buy new ones this
spring. Yeah like I won't get new ones even if I don't drink all these...

I've got Da Hong Pao and Trad Rui Gui, quite coincidentally, coming from
Jing's. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Danica,

Thanks so much for the enormous advice, info, and encouragement. I
will order more of these from the vendors you suggest, follow your
brewing instructions, and not lose the faith! If Shui Xians, Rou
Guis, and Dan Congs are half of what you describe, I will be very
happy. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

On Jan 29, 12:50 am, "Danica" > wrote:
> [...]

> > > addicting. Their Light-Roasted Wood Fired oolong is another delicious
> > > tea, for its smoothness is remarkable. It lasts for many brews, I
> > > think I got 8 at work, and probably could have got one more.

> > > I've also been drinking Taiwanese high mountain oolongs, one from 2480
> > > feet that I got from Houde. Wow this one is good, esp. in a zhuni
> > > teapot. The flavors are deep and rich, with vegetal and floral
> > > overtones. They play across the tongue so remarkably that there is no
> > > way one can deny that one is in the presence of a remarkable tea to be
> > > savored.

> > > Has anyone else had the experience with TGY wang that it tastes like
> > > delicious water? I've bought several recently that deliver on the
> > > green vegetal kind of like the Taiwanese HMO, but not on the
> > > complexity and aftertaste.

> > > Danica- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 26, 10:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?

snip
Hello guys,
Heres in my cup these days
wuyi,
all wuyi I can find in the tea cabinet
I have been drinking alot of red robe that I am severely low in it.
rooster comb this is very yummy
Mao Xie from Jing, cant get eno gh
Shui Xian Startin my second bag of this when my red robe runs out.
makaibari 2nd flush still good
and Feng Huang Huang Zhi Dancong Wow what a fragrance.
and some crumbs of golden lily (I am considering brewing the bag and
maybe some flavor will come out...)
Jenn

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have recently acquired the Shi Feng Shan Long Jing (Lion Peak
Dragonwell) directly from China West Lake area, from a tea farm that
supplies Zhong Nang Hai (China's White House). It is not the best
grade (which is doubled the price), but the same origin as the
Dragonwell that won the national golden award in 1981. Completed three
infusions gracefully and taste zillion times better from Adagio Tea's
dragonwell sampler. AWESOME.

Julian
http://amazing-green-tea.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ok, I'll bite...

Lao Cong Shui Xian from Jing Tea Shop or Butterfly Brand Ti Kuan Yin (el
cheapo from local Asian mart - not great but ok for work)
1992 Menghai loose Shu for after lunch

Various at home, '93 7542; 30year loose blended cooked from BTH; DHP from
Tea Museum in HK, Royal Grade B loose Pu-erh from James Banna; Golden and
Imperial Oolongs.

But right this minute, 15:22 in the afternoon, it's the '92 Menghai.

;-)>

Cheers
Mal
Oz

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?
>
> Mine:
>
> Snow Leopard Buds
> Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> Jasmine Pearls
> Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> not too plain)
> Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> Kukicha (green)
> Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam
>
> Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> little too creamy for my tastes)
>
> With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> hear some other choices to move into.
>
> - Dominic

Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Since my tea exploits are well documented on my blog, some of you
probably know what I've been up to anyway. The most interesting and
best tea I've had recently is a 1960s Guangyun Gong. So good. I can
drink that everyday. Too bad I only have a small sample from a
friend.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

On Jan 27, 12:29 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> been in your cups lately?
>
> Mine:
>
> Snow Leopard Buds
> Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> Jasmine Pearls
> Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> not too plain)
> Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> Kukicha (green)
> Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam
>
> Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> little too creamy for my tastes)
>
> With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> hear some other choices to move into.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Okay. I have seen this "Butterfly Brand" noted a few times in these
posts and I have scoured SF Chinatown, Oakland Chinatown and San Jose
Little Saigon looking for this stuff and cannot find a "Butterfly" can
anywhere. I'm always considering putting a limit onm y hand that seems
to send all this money to China and get a palatable can of soemthing
locally.
Just where do you guys find this stuff? I am curious since every once
and a while it seems to rear its head.
Jason, you there? Have you seen it in L.A.?
Butterflies...anyone?
Shen
On Jan 29, 10:23 pm, "Mal from Oz" > wrote:
> Ok, I'll bite...
>
> Lao Cong Shui Xian from Jing Tea Shop or Butterfly Brand Ti Kuan Yin (el
> cheapo from local Asian mart - not great but ok for work)
> 1992 Menghai loose Shu for after lunch
>
> Various at home, '93 7542; 30year loose blended cooked from BTH; DHP from
> Tea Museum in HK, Royal Grade B loose Pu-erh from James Banna; Golden and
> Imperial Oolongs.
>
> But right this minute, 15:22 in the afternoon, it's the '92 Menghai.
>
> ;-)>
>
> Cheers
> Mal
> Oz
>
> "Dominic T." > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
> > livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
> > grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
> > been in your cups lately?

> > Mine:

> > Snow Leopard Buds
> > Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
> > Jasmine Pearls
> > Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
> > not too plain)
> > Jasmine green mini-tuo's
> > Kukicha (green)
> > Mlesna Ice Wine tea
> > and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam

> > Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
> > the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
> > little too creamy for my tastes)

> > With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
> > global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
> > go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
> > hear some other choices to move into.

> > - Dominic

> ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------
> Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
> groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
> -- Seehttp://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I found a can of it (TGY) in a local Thai/multiethnic store here in
Washington (State) but it's been a few years. I got the one can and haven't
seen it since. I was very impressed with it at the time since I had not
really had huge whole leaf oolongs before that, and to my recollection it
wasn't too bad. The leaves were hugeand it wasn't super green. .I think Jim
might have an online source or at least a picture. Jim?

Melinda

"Shen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Okay. I have seen this "Butterfly Brand" noted a few times in these
> posts and I have scoured SF Chinatown, Oakland Chinatown and San Jose
> Little Saigon looking for this stuff and cannot find a "Butterfly" can
> anywhere. I'm always considering putting a limit onm y hand that seems
> to send all this money to China and get a palatable can of soemthing
> locally.
> Just where do you guys find this stuff? I am curious since every once
> and a while it seems to rear its head.
> Jason, you there? Have you seen it in L.A.?
> Butterflies...anyone?
> Shen
> On Jan 29, 10:23 pm, "Mal from Oz" > wrote:
>> Ok, I'll bite...
>>
>> Lao Cong Shui Xian from Jing Tea Shop or Butterfly Brand Ti Kuan Yin (el
>> cheapo from local Asian mart - not great but ok for work)
>> 1992 Menghai loose Shu for after lunch
>>
>> Various at home, '93 7542; 30year loose blended cooked from BTH; DHP
>> from
>> Tea Museum in HK, Royal Grade B loose Pu-erh from James Banna; Golden and
>> Imperial Oolongs.
>>
>> But right this minute, 15:22 in the afternoon, it's the '92 Menghai.
>>
>> ;-)>
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mal
>> Oz
>>
>> "Dominic T." > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> > Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
>> > livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
>> > grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
>> > been in your cups lately?

>> > Mine:

>> > Snow Leopard Buds
>> > Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
>> > Jasmine Pearls
>> > Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
>> > not too plain)
>> > Jasmine green mini-tuo's
>> > Kukicha (green)
>> > Mlesna Ice Wine tea
>> > and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam

>> > Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
>> > the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
>> > little too creamy for my tastes)

>> > With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
>> > global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
>> > go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
>> > hear some other choices to move into.

>> > - Dominic

>> ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------
>> Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
>> groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
>> -- Seehttp://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----- Hide
>> quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have seen it in two places, probably neither of them any use to you, but
Yue Hwa in HK and Singapore have it and here in West Australia most local
Asian supermarkets carry them. 'Supermarket' is probably an overstatement as
they more resemble a 711 with an Asian overtone. I think I paid A$8 for a
125gm tin.

First time I brewed it I didn't factor in the huge expansion of the leaves -
took the lid right off the gaiwan !

The one I have says its packaged by the "Fujian Tea Import and Export Co
Ltd" in Fuzhou. As I said it probably won't win any awards but it has a
fantastic aroma, huge leaf and tastes Ok for an every day tea.

Incidentally, it was a Butterfly Brand Wuyi Mountain that got me into this
obsession in the first place.

Cheers
Mal
Oz

"Shen" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Okay. I have seen this "Butterfly Brand" noted a few times in these
> posts and I have scoured SF Chinatown, Oakland Chinatown and San Jose
> Little Saigon looking for this stuff and cannot find a "Butterfly" can
> anywhere. I'm always considering putting a limit onm y hand that seems
> to send all this money to China and get a palatable can of soemthing
> locally.
> Just where do you guys find this stuff? I am curious since every once
> and a while it seems to rear its head.
> Jason, you there? Have you seen it in L.A.?
> Butterflies...anyone?
> Shen
> On Jan 29, 10:23 pm, "Mal from Oz" > wrote:
>> Ok, I'll bite...
>>
>> Lao Cong Shui Xian from Jing Tea Shop or Butterfly Brand Ti Kuan Yin (el
>> cheapo from local Asian mart - not great but ok for work)
>> 1992 Menghai loose Shu for after lunch
>>
>> Various at home, '93 7542; 30year loose blended cooked from BTH; DHP
>> from
>> Tea Museum in HK, Royal Grade B loose Pu-erh from James Banna; Golden and
>> Imperial Oolongs.
>>
>> But right this minute, 15:22 in the afternoon, it's the '92 Menghai.
>>
>> ;-)>
>>
>> Cheers
>> Mal
>> Oz
>>
>> "Dominic T." > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>>

>> > Activity has been a bit low lately 'round here, so in hopes of both
>> > livening up the joint as well as maybe seeing a tea listed that may
>> > grab my attention and give me a change of pace... I want to know what's
>> > been in your cups lately?

>> > Mine:

>> > Snow Leopard Buds
>> > Min Pei (Red Robe) Oolong
>> > Jasmine Pearls
>> > Shui Xian (still hunting for that perfect one, not too charcoally but
>> > not too plain)
>> > Jasmine green mini-tuo's
>> > Kukicha (green)
>> > Mlesna Ice Wine tea
>> > and some Lipton Green Label DJ/Brooke Bond Assam

>> > Hell, I even broke down and tried a green tea latte from Seattle's Best
>> > the other day and somewhat enjoyed it. (non-fat milk, but overall a
>> > little too creamy for my tastes)

>> > With the weather finally turning cold here (beating out that darn
>> > global warming at last) I've been in a bit of a rut and my two current
>> > go-to teas (Snow leopard and Red Robe) are running low... I need to
>> > hear some other choices to move into.

>> > - Dominic

>> ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------
>> Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
>> groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
>> -- Seehttp://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----- Hide
>> quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I don't know if it is sold online in the US. THe last link was from
Myanmar which has dried up. The Fujian Export site shows the
Butterfly Brand:

http://www.fteast.com/diyhp/1659/enu...olong_Tea.html

You have the top grade FL111. Interesting what they show as FL116 is
my FL115 which showed up in Chinatown recently. Even that grade is
enough to gag a pot but is single leaf and not multileaf stem like
yours. The Butterfly Brand has a picture of a butterfly on the lid.
The two different characters for Butterfly each mean butterfly
according to my dictionaries. At $4/125g it is just as good as my
local tea shoppe Supreme version at $12/100g.

Jim

On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "Melinda" > wrote:
> I found a can of it (TGY) in a local Thai/multiethnic store here in
> Washington (State) but it's been a few years. I got the one can and haven't
> seen it since. I was very impressed with it at the time since I had not
> really had huge whole leaf oolongs before that, and to my recollection it
> wasn't too bad. The leaves were hugeand it wasn't super green. .I think Jim
> might have an online source or at least a picture. Jim?
>
> Melinda
>
> "Shen" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>

> > Okay. I have seen this "Butterfly Brand" noted a few times in these
> > posts and I have scoured SF Chinatown, Oakland Chinatown and San Jose
> > Little Saigon looking for this stuff and cannot find a "Butterfly" can
> > anywhere.

....snow blower...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 31, 6:42 am, "Space Cowboy" > wrote:
> I don't know if it is sold online in the US. THe last link was from
> Myanmar which has dried up. The Fujian Export site shows the
> Butterfly Brand:
>
> http://www.fteast.com/diyhp/1659/enu...olong_Tea.html
>
> You have the top grade FL111. Interesting what they show as FL116 is
> my FL115 which showed up in Chinatown recently. Even that grade is
> enough to gag a pot but is single leaf and not multileaf stem like
> yours. The Butterfly Brand has a picture of a butterfly on the lid.
> The two different characters for Butterfly each mean butterfly
> according to my dictionaries. At $4/125g it is just as good as my
> local tea shoppe Supreme version at $12/100g.
>
> Jim
>
> On Jan 30, 4:31 pm, "Melinda" > wrote:
>

> > I found a can of it (TGY) in a local Thai/multiethnic store here in
> > Washington (State) but it's been a few years. I got the one can and haven't
> > seen it since. I was very impressed with it at the time since I had not
> > really had huge whole leaf oolongs before that, and to my recollection it
> > wasn't too bad. The leaves were hugeand it wasn't super green. .I think Jim
> > might have an online source or at least a picture. Jim?

> > Melinda

> > "Shen" > wrote in message

> oups.com...

> > > Okay. I have seen this "Butterfly Brand" noted a few times in these
> > > posts and I have scoured SF Chinatown, Oakland Chinatown and San Jose
> > > Little Saigon looking for this stuff and cannot find a "Butterfly" can
> > > anywhere.

> ...snow blower...- Hide quoted text -

I'm heading to Los Angeles next week, so I'll hit both Chinatowns
there, now that my interest is piqued. You never know what will show
up and it's always a good excuse to pop into Wing Hop Fung and stop
somewhere in Montery Park for dim sum.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

2004 6FTM Brick Ripe cooked pu erh, really good and only $7 plus shipping.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 31, 10:15 am, Karl Sprenger > wrote:
> 2004 6FTM Brick Ripe cooked pu erh, really good and only $7 plus shipping.

Please share more info.
>From whom? Full Name Six Famous Tea Mountain......(what color label

etc)........
Thanks,
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

Shen, save the effort and just go to WHF in Monterey Park on Atlantic
Blvd.
And if you are into wine as well, ask for Keng Ong...the young owner
who's in charge of the wine section.

About what's in my cup, last night I had the 2003 Xia Guan Bao Yan
brick, which was mildly smokey and quite mild tasting too for me. It
left a sweet aftertaste in the very back of the throat and an obvious
cooling sensation.

I also had 3 types of Dan Cong's.
- light oxidation and light roast - caramel and honey
- medium oxidation medium roast - peach and floral
- song zhong - very strong taste, red berry-ish, peach, honey,
assertive and easy to get bitter.

On Jan 31, 11:16 am, "Shen" > wrote:
> On Jan 31, 10:15 am, Karl Sprenger > wrote:
>
> > 2004 6FTM Brick Ripe cooked pu erh, really good and only $7 plus shipping.

> Please share more info.>From whom? Full Name Six Famous Tea Mountain......(what color label
>
> etc)........
> Thanks,
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've been working from home a lot lately, so I've been able to drink a
lot more gong fu tea:
* aged liu an from Hou De
* topaz pu erh from Imperial Tea Court
* golden melon tuo from Holy Mountain
* some old (but tasty) ten wu from Ten Ren.
* misc. jade oolongs
(Speaking of, any recommendations for the 2006 winter oolongs?)

But also some old standbys:
* masala chai, because I thought it'd be good with my lunch (it was)
* random herbal concoctions (most recently rose buds and peppermint)

N.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 31, 3:55 pm, Natarajan Krishnaswami > wrote:
> I've been working from home a lot lately, so I've been able to drink a
> lot more gong fu tea:
> * aged liu an from Hou De
> * topaz pu erh from Imperial Tea Court
> * golden melon tuo from Holy Mountain
> * some old (but tasty) ten wu from Ten Ren.
> * misc. jade oolongs
> (Speaking of, any recommendations for the 2006 winter oolongs?)
>
> But also some old standbys:
> * masala chai, because I thought it'd be good with my lunch (it was)
> * random herbal concoctions (most recently rose buds and peppermint)
>
> N.

ITC has two in their new newsletter - Winter Fush Imperial Pouchong
and Winter Flush Imperial Green Ooolong.
Now that I'm over my ITC temper tantrum, I'm going to the Berkeley
store tomorrow to taste them.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 31, 1:15 pm, Karl Sprenger > wrote:
> 2004 6FTM Brick Ripe cooked pu erh, really good and only $7 plus shipping.

Is that the one you got from Yunnan Sourcing and posted a picture at
the Puerh LJ on January 21?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Phyll" > wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

> About what's in my cup, last night I had the 2003 Xia Guan Bao Yan
> brick, which was mildly smokey and quite mild tasting too for me. It
> left a sweet aftertaste in the very back of the throat and an obvious
> cooling sensation.
>
> I also had 3 types of Dan Cong's.
> - light oxidation and light roast - caramel and honey
> - medium oxidation medium roast - peach and floral
> - song zhong - very strong taste, red berry-ish, peach, honey,
> assertive and easy to get bitter.

Phyll, I'm just curious...you list four teas, how many steeps did you get on
average with each? And how large are the cups? I always wonder about this
because I can only get through about one tea an evening but I'm drinking
maybe 6-7 steeps of about 8 ounces apiece....just comparing quantities out
of curiousity.

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On 2007-02-01, Shen > wrote:
> ITC has two in their new newsletter - Winter Fush Imperial Pouchong
> and Winter Flush Imperial Green Ooolong.
> Now that I'm over my ITC temper tantrum, I'm going to the Berkeley
> store tomorrow to taste them.

Cool; looking forward to hearing about them. (Hint hint )

N.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

http://web.mac.com/ksprenger/iWeb/Si...%20photos.html

it is in the middle of the second row, real good I have bought 3 of them
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I am not sure
http://web.mac.com/ksprenger/iWeb/Si...%20photos.html
it is the one in the middle of the second row.

I did get one in that last order, and will continue to get more.

I got a 6ftm beeng that is not nearly as good, yet cost double.

Karl

Salsero wrote:
> On Jan 31, 1:15 pm, Karl Sprenger > wrote:
>> 2004 6FTM Brick Ripe cooked pu erh, really good and only $7 plus shipping.

> Is that the one you got from Yunnan Sourcing and posted a picture at
> the Puerh LJ on January 21?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Senior Member

Location: Los Angeles

> Phyll, I'm just curious...you list four teas, how many steeps did you get on
> average with each? And how large are the cups? I always wonder about this
> because I can only get through about one tea an evening but I'm drinking
> maybe 6-7 steeps of about 8 ounces apiece....just comparing quantities out
> of curiousity.
>
> Melinda

Hi Melinda,

I'm sorry. I wrote my comment above in a hurry and I wasn't careful
about the time line. I had those 4 teas in 4 separate days, and the
2003 Baoyan being the one I had the night prior to writing the post.

For the Baoyan, I did 8 infusions before stopping (the tea was still
brewable for a couple more, I think).

For the lighter/greener Dan Cong, I was able to get about 5-6 good
brews because I used less leaves than I would other Dan Cong's. This
greener Dancong gets bitter easily, and if overbrewed it smells like
burnt rubberband. That's why I used less leaves and shorter infusion
time to get the nice caramel and honey characters. It's a bit tricky
to get this tea right, I think.

The medium one was a gift from a hardcore tea enthusiast. He sent me
a little amount of this truly fabulous Dan Cong that he got while
visiting Guangzhou. The tea opened up beautifully at around the 5th
brew, and it kept on giving for 10 or so more infusions (a 5-minute
steep for the last round). Such impeccable balance of fruit, floral,
and roast, and no one taste overpowers the other.

The song zhong is a specimen from Best Tea House in Hong Kong.
Drinking it with my wife, I got 18+ brews. It's by far the most
assertive Dan Cong I've ever tried. Obviously, I used too much leaves
(1/2-full of my Yixing). It got bitter on me easily and I had to
reduce the infusion time. What's new (for me) about this Song Zhong
is that the liquor was reddish in color for the first 2 or 3 brews,
and the tea gave off a strawberry/red berries taste. After that, the
liquor became a normal amber-brown with the usual peachy/yellow fruits
tastes. It's an assertive tea, for sure. Next time I should use less
leaves.

I should update all these notes on my blog, too.

Phyll

On Jan 31, 7:27 pm, "Melinda" > wrote:
> "Phyll" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> snip
>
> > About what's in my cup, last night I had the 2003 Xia Guan Bao Yan
> > brick, which was mildly smokey and quite mild tasting too for me. It
> > left a sweet aftertaste in the very back of the throat and an obvious
> > cooling sensation.

> > I also had 3 types of Dan Cong's.
> > - light oxidation and light roast - caramel and honey
> > - medium oxidation medium roast - peach and floral
> > - song zhong - very strong taste, red berry-ish, peach, honey,
> > assertive and easy to get bitter.

> Phyll, I'm just curious...you list four teas, how many steeps did you get on
> average with each? And how large are the cups? I always wonder about this
> because I can only get through about one tea an evening but I'm drinking
> maybe 6-7 steeps of about 8 ounces apiece....just comparing quantities out
> of curiousity.
>
> Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

While at work browsing tea sites, while I should be doing something
else. I found this Zhuan Cha on Tea Spring, this is what I feel is an
excellent shu Pu erh,

http://www.teaspring.com/Zhuan-Cha.asp?section=rating

Of course it is much cheaper from an ebay store (1/3 the price).

I drink it every day at work lately.