Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Inexpensive tins, cans, canisters etc. for oolongs, keemuns, and reds.....

I've really gone a little overboard with 2 oz of this, 4 oz of that and
need an inexpensive source for storage. I'm a little afraid of glass -
we have a bright kitchen and that's the tea area, as well. Any
suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have three small ceremic cannisters that came from my mother's house,
and three small tin cannisters that came from Goodwill. That's where I
store my tea. I also have some green tea that is in two tea cannisters
that I saved after the original tea was gone, and some tisanes that
are in tins originally used for cookies and biscuits, Look in your
local drug store, second hand stores, and yard sales. Toci

On Jan 25, 6:48 pm, "Shen" > wrote:
> I've really gone a little overboard with 2 oz of this, 4 oz of that and
> need an inexpensive source for storage. I'm a little afraid of glass -
> we have a bright kitchen and that's the tea area, as well. Any
> suggestions are appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Got some big ole Twining tea tins in a local thrift shop today, Thanks!
Shen

On Jan 25, 5:47 pm, "toci" > wrote:
> I have three small ceremic cannisters that came from my mother's house,
> and three small tin cannisters that came from Goodwill. That's where I
> store my tea. I also have some green tea that is in two tea cannisters
> that I saved after the original tea was gone, and some tisanes that
> are in tins originally used for cookies and biscuits, Look in your
> local drug store, second hand stores, and yard sales. Toci
>
> On Jan 25, 6:48 pm, "Shen" > wrote:
>

> > I've really gone a little overboard with 2 oz of this, 4 oz of that and
> > need an inexpensive source for storage. I'm a little afraid of glass -
> > we have a bright kitchen and that's the tea area, as well. Any
> > suggestions are appreciated.
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Shen- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I recyle Chinese and Indian tea tins for storage. My everyday teas are
100g dark plastic containers with large lid to hold previous content
while adding new. They line up nicely on a walk-in pantry door rack
giving access to about 50 different teas. My storage is an
amalgamation of decades. My favorite are teas that you occasionally
find in clay containers. Off the shelf clay storage is inexpensive at
Mexican ware shops. A kitchen store will have a variety of containers.

Jim

On Jan 25, 5:48 pm, "Shen" > wrote:
> I've really gone a little overboard with 2 oz of this, 4 oz of that and
> need an inexpensive source for storage. I'm a little afraid of glass -
> we have a bright kitchen and that's the tea area, as well. Any
> suggestions are appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Check out Ten Ren's website. I think the small tin cans are like $4
and it's worth it to get 5-6 to store your teas.

Alternatively you can invest in plastic lined mostly light-proof
bakery bags from a place like U-Line and put your tea in a plastic
sandwich baggie, twist tie the top, put it in the lined bakery bag,
and store. Works great--it's what I do these days...

On Jan 25, 4:48 pm, "Shen" > wrote:
> I've really gone a little overboard with 2 oz of this, 4 oz of that and
> need an inexpensive source for storage. I'm a little afraid of glass -
> we have a bright kitchen and that's the tea area, as well. Any
> suggestions are appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> Shen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Danica > wrote:
>Check out Ten Ren's website. I think the small tin cans are like $4
>and it's worth it to get 5-6 to store your teas.

The problem is that only the medium sized (16 oz????) tins have an
inner cover. The ones from the medium tins will fit the small ones,
but the small ones don't come with it.

The inner cover goes a long way toward keeping tea fresh. More than I
expected.

The same tins that Ten Ren sells are also available from Upton's. I don't
know how different the price is.
--scott

I will say, though, that I went to Ten Ren in Rockville, MD. this past weekend
and got an attempt at high-pressure sales. It wasn't over the top, but I
did not want to buy osmanthus tea, nor did I want to buy $45 worth of
ginseng, and I spent more time than I had expected trying to explain that
I was there for only one quarter pound of oriental beauty tea, nothing
else. A couple folks here have mentioned high pressure sales at Ten Ren, and
I had never experienced it before in many years of shopping there, but I
now have seen it.