Posted to alt.support.diet,rec.food.drink.tea

Default Sweeteners

I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.

I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Well, the only real choices it seems is real sweetener (granulated
sugar or liquid in forms of syrups or honey) and artificial (whatever
the names for the pink, blue and yellow packets of sugar at restaurants
are). You said you're not interested in artificial sweetener, so the
only kind I can think of is the kind with calories.

-Steven

On Jan 24, 11:36 pm, "alex" > wrote:
> I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.
>
> I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
> artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Steven Dodd" > wrote:
> Well, the only real choices it seems is real sweetener (granulated
> sugar or liquid in forms of syrups or honey) and artificial (whatever
> the names for the pink, blue and yellow packets of sugar at restaurants
> are). You said you're not interested in artificial sweetener, so the
> only kind I can think of is the kind with calories.
>
> On Jan 24, 11:36 pm, "alex" > wrote:
> > I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.
> >
> > I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in
> > an artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to
> > use.

I have diabetes, so I try to avoid sugar, although, if I have a sore
throat, I will put honey, whiskey and lemon in my tea. Other than that, I
don't put anything in my tea except tea and hot water.

Splenda, the stuff in the yellow packet, is made from sugar, and is
completely safe for me. I cook with it and put it in my coffee.

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Use Stevia, it is natural (its a plant) and safe and does not effect
your sugar levels in your body.

http://www.amazon.com/Stevia-Plus-Po...?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

this stuff is excellent, i use it all the time, I dont even tell people
it is not sugar and no one notices.

It is actually good for you.

It is sold as a supplement.

I never use sugar.

Karl

On Jan 25, 12:36 am, "alex" > wrote:
> I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.
>
> I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
> artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

the herb Stevia sweetens.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I just looked down and saw that karl rec'd stevia as well. So I
unintentionally repeat.
avoid splenda-- To me it is just more of the all too prevalent
artifical evil. The Splenda compound is sugar with a chlorine molecule
attached to it. as told to me by a rep when I was a waiter. Of course I
could be wrong/heard it wrong. So research it yourselves

Posted to alt.support.diet,rec.food.drink.tea

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 05:36:28 GMT "alex" > wrote:
> I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.
>
> I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
> artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

Something not artificial is Stevia (now in packets also).

And something synthetized many like is sucralose (Splenda).

mikus (I'm using both of these)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"taopants" > wrote in news:1169731913.366442.189610
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> I just looked down and saw that karl rec'd stevia as well. So I
> unintentionally repeat. avoid splenda-- To me it is just more of the
> all too prevalent artifical evil. The Splenda compound is sugar
> with a chlorine molecule attached to it. as told to me by a rep when I
> was a waiter. Of course I could be wrong/heard it wrong. So research
> it yourselves

You're right. See <http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/>. Every artificial
sweetner is medically worse than sugar, which has its problems too.
Splenda is relatively new, and so is assummed to be safe until proven
otherwise.

Stevia does seem worth checking out.

Ozzy

Posted to alt.support.diet,rec.food.drink.tea

In article <wlXth.784881$5R2.716481@pd7urf3no>, alex > wrote:
>I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.
>
>I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
>artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

Drink a better quality tea, that doesn't need sweetening. People sweeten
tea in order to hide something in the tea. Could be a bitter flavour or
a tannic flavour.

Get a tea that doesn't have that flavour so you don't _have_ to hide it.
--scott
Posted to alt.support.diet,rec.food.drink.tea

In article <wlXth.784881$5R2.716481@pd7urf3no>, alex > wrote:
>I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.
>
>I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
>artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners because, safety aspects
aside, I think that they corrupt my palate. That is, after drinking
a diet coke I seem to want to eat more sweet/salty/greasy/junky food.
This is certainly not an original observation.

Here's a suggestion: how about a tea with sweet flavor notes but without
the punch-in-the-pancreas heft of "sweetening"? Currant flavored tea,
offered by many dealers, is one. Another favorite of mine and many
friends is tea with Lychee extract. This is available in big red-gold
square tins at many Chinese groceries for between $5.00 and $8.00
per pound.

Good luck,

Rick.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

As an N.D., I never suggest using Splenda. It is not actually made from
sugar.This is a manufacturing hype. It is a made with clorinated
process that adds clorine and transmutes the nature of the sugar to an
alcohol.
Although, insulin levels change minimally, the body still recognizes it
a "sweet" in other than pancreatic functions and it supports candida
albicans.
I suggest agave, which raises sugar levels minimally or stevia which is
VERY sweet and not recognized as "sugar" by any body function. It comes
in both a powdered and liquid form and you'll have to jiggle around
with it to determine how sweet you like it. It IS VERY SWEET.
The above is only a suggestion and not to be used in lieu of
traditional medical advice.
Shen

On Jan 25, 1:10 am, wrote:
> "Steven Dodd" > wrote:
> > Well, the only real choices it seems is real sweetener (granulated
> > sugar or liquid in forms of syrups or honey) and artificial (whatever
> > the names for the pink, blue and yellow packets of sugar at restaurants
> > are). You said you're not interested in artificial sweetener, so the
> > only kind I can think of is the kind with calories.

> > On Jan 24, 11:36 pm, "alex" > wrote:
> > > I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.

> > > I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in
> > > an artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to
> > > use.I have diabetes, so I try to avoid sugar, although, if I have a sore

> throat, I will put honey, whiskey and lemon in my tea. Other than that, I
> don't put anything in my tea except tea and hot water.
>
> Splenda, the stuff in the yellow packet, is made from sugar, and is
> completely safe for me. I cook with it and put it in my coffee.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
>
> Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops. You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! !
> ~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Stevia = Good

http://www.amazon.com/Stevia-Plus-Po...?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

I am not pushing amazon, but they have a nice photo of a good brand of
stevia.

Some stevia is bitter, this one is not pure stevia, it is mixed with
some type of fiber. You can add it like normal sugar but don't use
quite as much. I like a bit in my tea, especially a pu erh that is low
grade, like a $3 tuo cha. With real good pu erh you don't really need
any sweetener.

Some stevia products are bitter, and pure stevia is like 300 times
sweeter than sugar, i recommend the stevia plus like shown in the link,
i think it is around $8-$9 at Wegman's or any good health food store.

Try it you will like it.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Why are you assuming that stevia is safe and that Splenda is unsafe?
On what basis did you reach these conclusions?

On Jan 25, 9:22 am, Ozzy <please.answer@NG> wrote:
> "taopants" > wrote in news:1169731913.366442.189610
> @m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I just looked down and saw that karl rec'd stevia as well. So I
> > unintentionally repeat. avoid splenda-- To me it is just more of the
> > all too prevalent artifical evil. The Splenda compound is sugar
> > with a chlorine molecule attached to it. as told to me by a rep when I
> > was a waiter. Of course I could be wrong/heard it wrong. So research
> > it yourselvesYou're right. See <http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/>. Every artificial

> sweetner is medically worse than sugar, which has its problems too.
> Splenda is relatively new, and so is assummed to be safe until proven
> otherwise.
>
> Stevia does seem worth checking out.
>
> Ozzy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Read about it, look it up, stevia is a real plant, Splenda is a chemical.

Don't take our word for it. Check it out.

Fran wrote:
> Why are you assuming that stevia is safe and that Splenda is unsafe?
> On what basis did you reach these conclusions?
>

> On Jan 25, 9:22 am, Ozzy <please.answer@NG> wrote:
>> "taopants" > wrote in news:1169731913.366442.189610
>> @m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> I just looked down and saw that karl rec'd stevia as well. So I
>>> unintentionally repeat. avoid splenda-- To me it is just more of the
>>> all too prevalent artifical evil. The Splenda compound is sugar
>>> with a chlorine molecule attached to it. as told to me by a rep when I
>>> was a waiter. Of course I could be wrong/heard it wrong. So research
>>> it yourselvesYou're right. See <http://www.holisticmed.com/splenda/>. Every artificial

>> sweetner is medically worse than sugar, which has its problems too.
>> Splenda is relatively new, and so is assummed to be safe until proven
>> otherwise.
>>
>> Stevia does seem worth checking out.
>>
>> Ozzy

Posted to alt.support.diet,rec.food.drink.tea

> I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
> artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

Many natives use cat semen

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>Stevia does seem worth checking out.
>
>Ozzy

I really do like Stevia a lot. It tastes a lot better than the
artificial sweeteners. Although I imagine if you fed a metric ton of
it to a rat, the rat might die. I drink my tea straight though,
nothing but leaf, water, and an occasional flower petal.

___________
Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
Celebrating 3 years of sharing
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Saying that stevia is a "real plant" is a poor testimonial to its
safety. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it is
inherently safe. Arsenic is natural and is lethal, whereas water is a
chemical and is essential for life.

I have no idea whether stevia (or Splenda for that matter) is safe or
not and I'm not saying to use or not use it. But I'm guessing that it
falls into the same category as many herbs and "natural" supplements
and is probably not regulated by the FDA. I'm willing to bet that
there has been far more research on the safety of Splenda than there is
on the safety of stevia. I keep reading on the net about the alleged
dangers of artificial sweeteners but nobody ever seems to have any
evidence to back up these claims.

As for the original question that started this thread, most likely none
of these products -- Splenda, stevia or sugar (if you are not diabetic)
is harmful when used in moderation. If you truly wish to avoid the
calories in sugar and not use artificial sweeteners or stevia, then the
only thing I can recommend is to try and get used to drinking
unsweetened tea. Tea that is prepared properly and not allowed to
stew (overbrew) really doesn't require any sweetening to taste good.

On Jan 25, 1:24 pm, Karl Sprenger > wrote:
> Read about it, look it up, stevia is a real plant, Splenda is a chemical.
>
> Don't take our word for it. Check it out.
>

> Fran wrote:
> > Why are you assuming that stevia is safe and that Splenda is unsafe?
> > On what basis did you reach these conclusions?

> > On Jan 25, 9:22 am, Ozzy <please.answer@NG> wrote:
> >> "taopants" > wrote in news:1169731913.366442.189610
> >> @m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

> >> sweetner is medically worse than sugar, which has its problems too.
> >> Splenda is relatively new, and so is assummed to be safe until proven
> >> otherwise.

> >> Stevia does seem worth checking out.

> >> Ozzy- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Karl Sprenger > wrote:
>Read about it, look it up, stevia is a real plant, Splenda is a chemical.
>
>Don't take our word for it. Check it out.

>> Why are you assuming that stevia is safe and that Splenda is unsafe?
>> On what basis did you reach these conclusions?

This is a rant, a somewhat educated one and slightly on-topic to boot,
but a rant nonetheless. Your money won't be refunded.

Splenda is indeed a chemical, stevia is indeed extracted from a
"real plant", and of course the latter is also a mixture of chemicals
(notably stevioside). Karl, my friend (friends? or are you just using
the royal we?), what makes you think that this particular chemical is
safer than one concocted in the laboratories of McNeil Nutritionals?
Other real plants, eaten in large amounts whole or in extract form, have
been known to cause Parkinsonian-type and other neural disabilities, liver
damage, and an interesting variety of cancers (oh yeah, and lavender is
an estrogen mimic). There is a good reason why the FDA doesn't allow
stores to sell real root beer or adulterated Mexican vanilla, and I'm
grateful to them for this. But they aren't omniscient. To see what's
on the horizon, please read the attached abstract which is merely the
first result of a medline search on "stevia" (there are 114 others,
not all of which will contain bad news). I have no idea whether the
concentrations here are relevant to humans (and it is in general extremely
hard, sometimes impossibly so, to determine this relevance).

As another example, veering dangerously close to relevance, consider the
following excerpt from an article in _Lancet_ (2002, vol. 359, p. 1484):

"Tea is regarded a delicious, aromatic stimulant worldwide. However,
even tea may lead to health problems if flavoured and consumed in
extraordinarily high quantities. Bergamot essence in Earl Grey tea,
when consumed in excess, may induce muscle cramps, fasciculations,
paraesthesias and blurred vision."

In this case study the victim's symptoms disappeared when he limited
consumption to a liter per day.

I might suggest caution before consuming large amounts or high
concentrations of anything, herbal or not.

Best,

Rick.

******************

Food Chem Toxicol. 2006 Oct 27; [Epub ahead of print]

Analysis of genotoxic potentiality of stevioside by comet assay.

* Nunes AP,
* Ferreira-Machado SC,
* Nunes RM,
* Dantas FJ,
* De Mattos JC,
* Caldeira-de-Araujo A.

Departamento de Biofisica e Biometria, Universidade do Estado do
Rio de Janeiro, Instituto de Biologia Roberto Alcantara Gomes,
Av. 28 de Setembro, 87, 20551-030 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil.

Stevioside is a natural non-caloric sweetener extracted from
Stevia rebaudiana (Bertoni) leaves. It has been widely used in
many countries, including Japan, Korea, China, Brazil and Paraguay,
either as a substitute for sucrose in beverages and foods or as a
household sweetener. The aim of this work was to study its genotoxic
potentiality in eukaryotic cells. Wistar rats were treated with
stevioside solution (4mg/mL) through oral administration (ad libitum)
and the DNA-induced damage was evaluated using the single cell gel
electrophoresis (comet assay). The results showed that treatment
with stevioside generates lesions in peripheral blood, liver, brain
and spleen cells in different levels, the largest effect being in
liver. Therefore, these undesired effects must be better understood,
once the data present here point to possible stevioside mutagenic
properties.
Posted to alt.support.diet,rec.food.drink.tea

Zarky Zork > wrote:
>> I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
>> artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

>Many natives use cat semen

Harvesting would be a problem, I would think. My cat won't even stand still
to have eardrops put in.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Richard Chappell > wrote:
>Splenda is indeed a chemical, stevia is indeed extracted from a
>"real plant", and of course the latter is also a mixture of chemicals
>(notably stevioside). Karl, my friend (friends? or are you just using
>the royal we?), what makes you think that this particular chemical is
>safer than one concocted in the laboratories of McNeil Nutritionals?

All of these are true. BUT:

1. Neither one of them really tastes like sugar.

2. Sweeteners have no business in tea.

>I might suggest caution before consuming large amounts or high
>concentrations of anything, herbal or not.

Absolutely. Note that high concentrations of sugar aren't so good for
you either.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 24, 11:36 pm, "alex" > wrote:
> I drink a lot of tea and need to sweeten with sugar.
>
> I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
> artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

Glucose is brain food and sucrose will break down it to feed your
cell. So will do so with most foods consumed.
I found agave nectar to be a very good substitute.
Limiting glucose consumption is a contemporary concern for many
people. The introduction of this new sweetener is timely as it has a
relatively low glycemic index due to its higher proportion of fructose
and lower levels of glucose. This fact should prove attractive to
those with special diet considerations or who monitor glucose
intake. , Thart info came from a manufactuer of agave nectar (I like
the light one) and most of the agave sites I have read
although it is still what works for you, and not me
Jenn

Posted to alt.support.diet,rec.food.drink.tea
Mu Mu is offline

On 29 Jan 2007 10:59:57 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Zarky Zork > wrote:
>>> I am looking to eliminate sugar from my diet but am not interested in an
>>> artificial sweetener. Anyone else found a fully safe sweetener to use.

>>Many natives use cat semen

> Harvesting would be a problem, I would think. My cat won't even stand still
> to have eardrops put in.
> --scott

Where I come from, they only harvest deer.