FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   recommendation for herbal tea?? (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/114490-recommendation-herbal-tea.html)

Mmm 23-01-2007 06:31 PM

recommendation for herbal tea??

I need a recommendation for a good herbal tea. I really like real tea
but I'm sensitive to caffeine. Even decaf Eng. Breakfast Tea still has
caffeine, and a second cup is enough to make me feel uncomfortable.

My wife and daughter like fruit teas, like Lemon Zinger etc.. I find
them too sweet and, well, fruity....

I only drink an herbal tea now (Mint Medley) when I'm sick. Otherwise,
I don't like it.

I'm looking for a completely caffeine free tea that either tastes like
tea, or at least isn't a sweet tasting tea. Other taste notes (ie:
smoky) might be fine.

Nothing too exotic, but I do have a Whole Foods locally so I have some
range available.

Thanks for your help...

toci 23-01-2007 08:25 PM

recommendation for herbal tea??

I'd ask at Whole Foods what they would recommend. But my experience is
that nothing tastes like tea but tea. I personally like the Zingers,
but also licorice tea, ginger tea, and chocolate mint rooibus. You
might try a plain rooibus, and experiment from there. Toci

taopants 24-01-2007 01:36 PM

recommendation for herbal tea??

I second the rooibos reccomendation. It is the most 'tea' tasting
(black tea) My favorite herbals come from Rishi (online and in Whole
foodds--I like the passion fruit rooibos and ginger lime rooibos, and
plain rooibos) and Mountain rose herbs (also online- I love their Dream
tea- it does as the name implies- really) You can also get some yerba
mate ( Eco Tea and Guayaki are carried by whole foods - Mate sports an
herbal caffeine equivalent called 'matteine' Good luck and report back
your results.

[email protected] 24-01-2007 04:59 PM

recommendation for herbal tea??

I would highly recommend Hibiscus Tea
It makes a really nice hot tea and even better iced tea
Its a red tangy infusion
similar a little to rose hip tea or strawberry kiwi if you've had
either of those.
I apologize for using the word tea, tisane would be more appropriate as
it really isn't tea at all.
Its caffeine free and high in vitamin C

Bluesea 25-01-2007 10:33 PM

"Mmm" > wrote in message
>I need a recommendation for a good herbal tea. I really like real tea
> but I'm sensitive to caffeine. Even decaf Eng. Breakfast Tea still has
> caffeine, and a second cup is enough to make me feel uncomfortable.
>
> My wife and daughter like fruit teas, like Lemon Zinger etc.. I find
> them too sweet and, well, fruity....
>
> I only drink an herbal tea now (Mint Medley) when I'm sick. Otherwise,
> I don't like it.
>
> I'm looking for a completely caffeine free tea that either tastes like
> tea, or at least isn't a sweet tasting tea. Other taste notes (ie:
> smoky) might be fine.
>
> Nothing too exotic, but I do have a Whole Foods locally so I have some
> range available.
>
> Thanks for your help...

I like Earl Grey Rooibos/Rooibos Earl Grey/whatever the name depending on
vendor. Anyway, it's rooibos with the bergamot flavoring of the Earl Grey
tea.

Also, plain rooibos - sometimes I add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of vanilla to the 4-cup
pot for variety.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~