Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default want to find tea friend in Boston

I'm a visiting scholar in Harvard and a quasi-professional traditional
tea ceremony practicer. I'm trying to find the similar fancier in great
Boston.
my most favorite is yancha(Rock Tea), with Pu'er as second. I'm sure
I've the top yancha(huiwan shuixian, huiwan rougui, niulankeng
shuixian, niulankeng rougui, shuiliandong shuixian, tianxinyan rougui,
qizhong and so on) with me, but here I have only 10-years-old pu'er(the
years are definitely clear because it's the products of menghai tea
factory and they have date printed in the box, though the grade is not
very high), about-17-years-old 73's Thick Brick and a doubtful claimed
wege(Cultural Revolution ) tuo.
Green tea fans are aslo welcome. i've standard sample of grade S,1,2 of
Kaihua longding(still refrigerated ), as well as a small can of
Longjing and dongding oulong(sealed) which i seldom drink them and can
present to those who really like them.

Indra

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Which school are you affiliated with, and where are you from?

I will be back in Boston in March for a few weeks.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Indra wrote:
> I'm a visiting scholar in Harvard and a quasi-professional traditional
> tea ceremony practicer. I'm trying to find the similar fancier in great
> Boston.
> my most favorite is yancha(Rock Tea), with Pu'er as second. I'm sure
> I've the top yancha(huiwan shuixian, huiwan rougui, niulankeng
> shuixian, niulankeng rougui, shuiliandong shuixian, tianxinyan rougui,
> qizhong and so on) with me, but here I have only 10-years-old pu'er(the
> years are definitely clear because it's the products of menghai tea
> factory and they have date printed in the box, though the grade is not
> very high), about-17-years-old 73's Thick Brick and a doubtful claimed
> wege(Cultural Revolution ) tuo.
> Green tea fans are aslo welcome. i've standard sample of grade S,1,2 of
> Kaihua longding(still refrigerated ), as well as a small can of
> Longjing and dongding oulong(sealed) which i seldom drink them and can
> present to those who really like them.
>
> Indra

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm in Harvard-Yenching Institute, I'm from Beijing.
"MarshalN 写道:
"
> Which school are you affiliated with, and where are you from?
>
> I will be back in Boston in March for a few weeks.
>
> MarshalN
> http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Indra,

Please supply the chinese characters for the Yancha teas you mentioned.

璋㈣阿
Jim

Indra wrote:
> I'm a visiting scholar in Harvard and a quasi-professional traditional
> tea ceremony practicer. I'm trying to find the similar fancier in great
> Boston.
> my most favorite is yancha(Rock Tea), with Pu'er as second. I'm sure
> I've the top yancha(huiwan shuixian, huiwan rougui, niulankeng
> shuixian, niulankeng rougui, shuiliandong shuixian, tianxinyan rougui,
> qizhong and so on) with me

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

地名:慧菀(?)、牛栏坑、水帘洞、天心岩(寺)
品种:水仙、裙稹⑵嬷
提到的岩茶均为正岩。

"Space Cowboy 写道:
"
> Indra,
>
> Please supply the chinese characters for the Yancha teas you mentioned.
>
> 谢谢
> Jim
>
> Indra wrote:
> > I'm a visiting scholar in Harvard and a quasi-professional traditional
> > tea ceremony practicer. I'm trying to find the similar fancier in great
> > Boston.
> > my most favorite is yancha(Rock Tea), with Pu'er as second. I'm sure
> > I've the top yancha(huiwan shuixian, huiwan rougui, niulankeng
> > shuixian, niulankeng rougui, shuiliandong shuixian, tianxinyan rougui,
> > qizhong and so on) with me

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Ah, I see. We just missed each other then, since I'm coming from where
you are to Beijing/Shanghai to do research this year.

Where do you get your yancha? From Beijing? Is there a store you go
to? I'm curious.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Indra wrote:
> I'm in Harvard-Yenching Institute, I'm from Beijing.
> "MarshalN 写道:
> "
> > Which school are you affiliated with, and where are you from?
> >
> > I will be back in Boston in March for a few weeks.
> >
> > MarshalN
> > http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

it sounds you know sth about me. ugh.
yes, i got them from several of my friends in beijing, xiamen and
wuyishan. i never go to the store though i know one good one. but one
of my friend told me she has sign a lease with the owner to purchase
all of his yancha in the future years so that she can monopolize this
man's high quality yancha which has been certificated by a tea master
and proved to be quite good by keeping a never-be-defeated record in
doucha(tea competition)

btw, don't drink too much new pu'er, it's definitely harmful to your
health. i've heard several cases in chinese tea forum and some
reseacher remind me too..

"MarshalN 写道:
"
> Ah, I see. We just missed each other then, since I'm coming from where
> you are to Beijing/Shanghai to do research this year.
>
> Where do you get your yancha? From Beijing? Is there a store you go
> to? I'm curious.
>
> MarshalN
> http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN
>
> Indra wrote:
> > I'm in Harvard-Yenching Institute, I'm from Beijing.
> > "MarshalN 写道:
> > "
> > > Which school are you affiliated with, and where are you from?
> > >
> > > I will be back in Boston in March for a few weeks.
> > >
> > > MarshalN
> > > http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>"Indra" > wrote in message
> roups.com...

>btw, don't drink too much new pu'er, it's definitely harmful to your
>health. i've heard several cases in chinese tea forum and some
>reseacher remind me too..

IMHO "it's (new pu'er) definitely harmful to your health" is not a very
responsible statement if all your support arguments are limited to "i've
heard several cases in chinese tea forum" and/or "some reseacher remind me
too." You have to quote some serious sources to substantiate such a
categorical statement. Calling yourself a Harvard scholar comes with certain
obligations.

BTW - I also would like to remind everyone here that almost all of the
information about benefits or perils of tea drinking is hearsay anyway,
since nobody can afford double blind medical trials on a non-patentable
natural product. That does not mean that we can or cannot believe them,
individually or as groups. But it does mean that a scientist should never
make statements like the one above.

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dear Sasha,
Thank you for your criticise. it remind me that I should express my
opinion more accurately, though i'm not a scientist of tea. or suggest
my friend in privite email while not in this group. Yes, I should say
maybe while not definitely. thanka again.
"Alex Chaihorsky 写道:
"
> >"Indra" > wrote in message
> > roups.com...

> >btw, don't drink too much new pu'er, it's definitely harmful to your
> >health. i've heard several cases in chinese tea forum and some
> >reseacher remind me too..

> IMHO "it's (new pu'er) definitely harmful to your health" is not a very
> responsible statement if all your support arguments are limited to "i've
> heard several cases in chinese tea forum" and/or "some reseacher remind me
> too." You have to quote some serious sources to substantiate such a
> categorical statement. Calling yourself a Harvard scholar comes with certain
> obligations.
>
> BTW - I also would like to remind everyone here that almost all of the
> information about benefits or perils of tea drinking is hearsay anyway,
> since nobody can afford double blind medical trials on a non-patentable
> natural product. That does not mean that we can or cannot believe them,
> individually or as groups. But it does mean that a scientist should never
> make statements like the one above.
>
> Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I knew the characters for 品种 but not the characters for 地名. I
asked because maybe someone else was missing different characters. In
this group, people speak fluent Chinese, and others like myself learn
as we go.

In another post:

"i'm not sure what you refer to, but in chinese offical tea
classification, Huang/yellow Tea is one of the six biggest categories,
the other is green, white, red, black and grey(qing, say, oulong,
tieguanyin,yancha)."

I am curious why you used 'say' for white. Normally it would be 'bai'.
Is there another character used for 白? We in the West would also
find it odd for another classification you call 'grey' or 'yancha'.
Yancha or Rock tea to me is just another oolong. One of my favorites
HuangJingGui.

xièxiè
Jim

Indra wrote:
> 地名:慧菀(?)、牛栏坑、水帘洞、天心岩(寺)
> 品种:水仙、裙稹⑵嬷
> 提到的岩茶均为正岩。
>
> "Space Cowboy 写道:
> "
> > Indra,
> >
> > Please supply the chinese characters for the Yancha teas you mentioned.
> >
> > 谢谢
> > Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Cowboy,
I think 地名 (DiMing) is "Region name(s)" and is followed by the names of
regions.
品种 (PinZhung) as you know is "variaety name(s)" and is followed by the
names of the teas.
The last phraze if I understand it right mean "the mentioned teas are all
autentic yancha(rock tea)"
However ZhenYan (正岩) as I understand can also mean a certain region in
WuYi mountain, so my translation would then read ..."autentic from ZhenYan".

Sasha.

ups.com...

Indra wrote:
> 地名:慧菀(?)、牛栏坑、水帘洞、天心岩(寺)
> 品种:水仙、裙稹⑵嬷
> 提到的岩茶均为正岩。
>
> "Space Cowboy 写道:
> "
> > Indra,
> >
> > Please supply the chinese characters for the Yancha teas you mentioned.
> >
> > 谢谢
> > Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

yes, sasha'a explaination is right. thanks.
zhengyan, compared with banyan(half rock zone) and waishan(outer
mountains) or pingdi(flat plain), refers the core zone( and
traditionally only the rock tea in within this zone can be called rock
tea) of wuyi yancha.
"Alex Chaihorsky 鍐欓亾锛
"
> Cowboy,
> I think 碌脴脙没 (DiMing) is "Region name(s)" and is followed by the names of
> regions.
> 脝路脰脰 (PinZhung) as you know is "variaety name(s)" and is followed by the
> names of the teas.
> The last phraze if I understand it right mean "the mentioned teas are all
> autentic yancha(rock tea)"
> However ZhenYan (脮媒脩脪) as I understand can also mean a certain region in
> WuYi mountain, so my translation would then read ..."autentic from ZhenYan".
>
> Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

well, here qing means grey and "say" is just "say" as in english. I
understand you are more familiar with the classification in which
yancha ibelongs to oolong(called as minbei(north of fujian) oolong),
while in chinese official category it's under the grey/qing tea along
with taiwan oolong, tieguanyin(minnan, south of fujian) and fenghuang
dancong.(guangdong) HuangJinGui is the name of some kind of dancong as
well. which kind of HuangJinGui do you like? yancha or dancong?

"Space Cowboy 写道:
"
> I knew the characters for 品种 but not the characters for 地名. I
> asked because maybe someone else was missing different characters. In
> this group, people speak fluent Chinese, and others like myself learn
> as we go.
>
> In another post:
>
> "i'm not sure what you refer to, but in chinese offical tea
> classification, Huang/yellow Tea is one of the six biggest categories,
> the other is green, white, red, black and grey(qing, say, oulong,
> tieguanyin,yancha)."
>
> I am curious why you used 'say' for white. Normally it would be 'bai'.
> Is there another character used for 白? We in the West would also
> find it odd for another classification you call 'grey' or 'yancha'.
> Yancha or Rock tea to me is just another oolong. One of my favorites
> HuangJingGui.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

well, here qing means grey and "say" is just "say" as in english. I
understand you are more familiar with the classification in which
yancha ibelongs to oolong(called as minbei(north of fujian) oolong),
while in chinese official category it's under the grey/qing tea along
with taiwan oolong, tieguanyin(minnan, south of fujian) and fenghuang
dancong.(guangdong) HuangJinGui is the name of some kind of dancong as
well. which kind of HuangJinGui do you like? yancha or dancong?

"Space Cowboy 写道:
"
> I knew the characters for 品种 but not the characters for 地名. I
> asked because maybe someone else was missing different characters. In
> this group, people speak fluent Chinese, and others like myself learn
> as we go.
>
> In another post:
>
> "i'm not sure what you refer to, but in chinese offical tea
> classification, Huang/yellow Tea is one of the six biggest categories,
> the other is green, white, red, black and grey(qing, say, oulong,
> tieguanyin,yancha)."
>
> I am curious why you used 'say' for white. Normally it would be 'bai'.
> Is there another character used for 白? We in the West would also
> find it odd for another classification you call 'grey' or 'yancha'.
> Yancha or Rock tea to me is just another oolong. One of my favorites
> HuangJingGui.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Indra" > writes:
> [...yancha regions and terminology...]
> well, here qing means grey and "say" is just "say" as in english.

Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't Qing the word for "blue-green" here?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Sasha,

I meant I knew the characters for Names shuixian etc but not for the
Variety huiwan etc. It was easier to ask for all the characters
instead of what I really needed. You are right I would have missed the
context ZhengYan reference as opposed to banyan or zhouyan areas which
Indra indicated in a later post.

Jim

PS Warning Geek speak. If you're using any 32bit Windows with NTFS
then OE will honor Unicode. You'll get a prompt to
Send(email),Save(file) as Unicode when using any multibyte Asian
characters. I don't have any language sets installed on my computer so
all I see is what looks like the Kou Mouth radical for any Chinese
character providing the HTML parameter CharSet is Big5,GB2312,UFT-8 or
any Asian character set. If not specified then the default is almost
meaningless Ascii for the Chinese characters such as this case. I say
almost because they are still valid pairs if you know how to handle
them. Or do what I do use Google. I'm not sure Google would even work
if you use 16bit 95,98,Millenium.

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Cowboy,
> I think 地名 (DiMing) is "Region name(s)" and is followed by the names of
> regions.
> 品种 (PinZhung) as you know is "variaety name(s)" and is followed by the
> names of the teas.
> The last phraze if I understand it right mean "the mentioned teas are all
> autentic yancha(rock tea)"
> However ZhenYan (正岩) as I understand can also mean a certain region in
> WuYi mountain, so my translation would then read ..."autentic from ZhenYan".
>
> Sasha.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> I knew the characters for 品种 but not the characters for 地名.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

yes, qing=blue-green. grey ia not an accurate expression.

"Lewis Perin 写道:
"
> "Indra" > writes:
> > [...yancha regions and terminology...]
> > well, here qing means grey and "say" is just "say" as in english.

> Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't Qing the word for "blue-green" here?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Indra" > writes:

> "Lewis Perin 写道:
> "
> > "Indra" > writes:
> > > [...yancha regions and terminology...]
> > > well, here qing means grey and "say" is just "say" as in english.

> > Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't Qing the word for "blue-green" here?
> >

> yes, qing=blue-green. grey ia not an accurate expression.

By the way, when you supplied the Chinese characters for those
Zhengyan areas, you indicated (with a question mark) that you were
uncertain about Huiwan. May I ask if the doubt was about Hui, Wan, or
both?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

My fault. I misunderstood you. It took some help from Lew and his
followup on qing and blue-green. My Chinatown doesn't carry any
DanCong so it must be Yancha :-). It is the Xiamen export brand.

Jim

PS Google just came up with a new interface. It has a big orange sign
saying this is a Usenet group.

On Jan 23, 2:40*pm, "Indra" > wrote:
> well, here qing means grey and "say" is just "say" as in english. I
> understand you are more familiar with the classification in which
> yancha ibelongs to oolong(called as minbei(north of fujian) oolong),
> while in chinese official category it's under the grey/qing tea along
> with taiwan oolong, tieguanyin(minnan, south of fujian) and fenghuang
> dancong.(guangdong) HuangJinGui is the name of some kind of dancong as
> well. which kind of HuangJinGui do you like? yancha or dancong?
>
> "Space Cowboy 鍐欓亾锛
> "
>

> > I knew the characters for 鍝佺 but not the characters for 鍦板悕. *I
> > asked because maybe someone else was missing different characters. *In
> > this group, people speak fluent Chinese, and others like myself learn
> > as we go.

> > In another post:

> > "i'm not sure what you refer to, but in chinese offical tea
> > classification, Huang/yellow Tea is one of the six biggest categories,
> > the other is green, white, red, black and grey(qing, say, oulong,
> > tieguanyin,yancha)."

> > I am curious why you used 'say' for white. *Normally it would be 'bai'.
> > *Is there another character used for 鐧? *We in the West would also
> > find it odd for another classification you call 'grey' or 'yancha'.
> > Yancha or Rock tea to me is just another oolong. *One of my favorites
> > HuangJingGui.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

both. but it seems right, just now i search it by google, at least
there are sb. use the same word.

On Jan 23, 6:07 pm, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> "Indra" > writes:
>
> > "Lewis Perin 写道:

> > > Sorry, I'm confused. Isn't Qing the word for "blue-green" here?

> > yes, qing=blue-green. grey ia not an accurate expression.By the way, when you supplied the Chinese characters for those

> Zhengyan areas, you indicated (with a question mark) that you were
> uncertain about Huiwan. May I ask if the doubt was about Hui, Wan, or
> both?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

IMHO, he's correct in saying that it's harmful to your health, at least
as far as I understand, because in Chinese medicine something like new,
raw, puerh is viewed pretty negatively, as it saps your energy or
something like that. The result, of course, differs for individuals,
but in general almost nobody I've talked to believes that drinking
green puerh that isn't aged yet is good for you.

By the way, Harvard scholar or not, I'd like to think that everyone of
us is held to the same standards for making claims. S/he wasn't saying
s/he is a tea scholar, merely that s/he is a visiting scholar at
Harvard. When here, we are all just tea addicts.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

On Jan 23, 1:52 pm, "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:
> >"Indra" > wrote in message
> > roups.com...

> >btw, don't drink too much new pu'er, it's definitely harmful to your
> >health. i've heard several cases in chinese tea forum and some
> >reseacher remind me too..IMHO "it's (new pu'er) definitely harmful to your health" is not a very

> responsible statement if all your support arguments are limited to "i've
> heard several cases in chinese tea forum" and/or "some reseacher remind me
> too." You have to quote some serious sources to substantiate such a
> categorical statement. Calling yourself a Harvard scholar comes with certain
> obligations.
>
> BTW - I also would like to remind everyone here that almost all of the
> information about benefits or perils of tea drinking is hearsay anyway,
> since nobody can afford double blind medical trials on a non-patentable
> natural product. That does not mean that we can or cannot believe them,
> individually or as groups. But it does mean that a scientist should never
> make statements like the one above.
>
> Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dear MarshalN,
Sasha's remind is out of kindness as well as yours, i appreciate both
of you for your helps. we are tea friends and each one of us just want
exchange our opinions here. It is an inherent part of any conversation
to avoid misunderstanding or being misunderstood.

On Jan 23, 6:28 pm, "MarshalN" > wrote:
> IMHO, he's correct in saying that it's harmful to your health, at least
> as far as I understand, because in Chinese medicine something like new,
> raw, puerh is viewed pretty negatively, as it saps your energy or
> something like that. The result, of course, differs for individuals,
> but in general almost nobody I've talked to believes that drinking
> green puerh that isn't aged yet is good for you.
>
> By the way, Harvard scholar or not, I'd like to think that everyone of
> us is held to the same standards for making claims. S/he wasn't saying
> s/he is a tea scholar, merely that s/he is a visiting scholar at
> Harvard. When here, we are all just tea addicts.
>
> MarshalNhttp://www.xanga.com/MarshalN
>
> On Jan 23, 1:52 pm, "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:
>

> > >"Indra" > wrote in message
> > > roups.com...
> > >btw, don't drink too much new pu'er, it's definitely harmful to your
> > >health. i've heard several cases in chinese tea forum and some
> > >reseacher remind me too..IMHO "it's (new pu'er) definitely harmful to your health" is not a very

> > responsible statement if all your support arguments are limited to "i've
> > heard several cases in chinese tea forum" and/or "some reseacher remind me
> > too." You have to quote some serious sources to substantiate such a
> > categorical statement. Calling yourself a Harvard scholar comes with certain
> > obligations.

> > BTW - I also would like to remind everyone here that almost all of the
> > information about benefits or perils of tea drinking is hearsay anyway,
> > since nobody can afford double blind medical trials on a non-patentable
> > natural product. That does not mean that we can or cannot believe them,
> > individually or as groups. But it does mean that a scientist should never
> > make statements like the one above.

> > Sasha.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Cowboy,

I use XP Pro and receive the characters OK. As far as I understand it is not
my computer, but my provider's nntp gateway that strips down to ASCII ,
because I get and receive Unicode fine outside of USENET.

Sorry.

Alex Chaihorsky wrote:
> Cowboy,
> I think 地名 (DiMing) is "Region name(s)" and is followed by the names of
> regions.
> 品种 (PinZhung) as you know is "variaety name(s)" and is followed by the
> names of the teas.
> The last phraze if I understand it right mean "the mentioned teas are all
> autentic yancha(rock tea)"
> However ZhenYan (正岩) as I understand can also mean a certain region in
> WuYi mountain, so my translation would then read ..."autentic from
> ZhenYan".
>
> Sasha.
>

> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> I knew the characters for 品种 but not the characters for 地名.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> PS Warning Geek speak. If you're using any 32bit Windows with NTFS
> then OE will honor Unicode. You'll get a prompt to
> Send(email),Save(file) as Unicode when using any multibyte Asian
> characters. I don't have any language sets installed on my computer so
> all I see is what looks like the Kou Mouth radical for any Chinese
> character providing the HTML parameter CharSet is Big5,GB2312,UFT-8 or
> any Asian character set. If not specified then the default is almost
> meaningless Ascii for the Chinese characters such as this case. I say
> almost because they are still valid pairs if you know how to handle
> them. Or do what I do use Google. I'm not sure Google would even work
> if you use 16bit 95,98,Millenium.

I use Win98SE. My ISP is SBC Yahoo. I received an e-mail which was
gobbledegook and junked it. Then I realized it had my wife's name in it. I
dug it out of the trash and forwarded it to myself. Wonder of wonders, it
came out in Thai characters! Unbelievable surprise to me. I printed it out,
she understood it and called the sender. ;-?

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Sasha,

Shame on your ISP. They shouldn't be tampering with any bytes to or
from your computer. Like I said I can rework any Ascii byte pairs from
my end. I learned to do this because of the websites I run across with
the same problem.

Jim

On Jan 23, 5:31 pm, "Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote:
> Cowboy,
>
> I use XP Pro and receive the characters OK. As far as I understand it is not
> my computer, but my provider's nntp gateway that strips down to ASCII ,
> because I get and receive Unicode fine outside of USENET.
>
> Sorry.
>
> Sasha.
>
> "Space Cowboy" > wrote in oglegroups.com...
> Sasha,

....I delete me...