Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Any Brits or Euro people about?

I would love to hear your opinions!

I have a fair-trade tea company that works to create incomes for
Southwest Indians (...and income for myself I should add -- if I'm
lucky! -- tho I am not a Pueblo or Navajo Indian).

Here are my questions:

#1 Do Brits go for Chai?

#2 Do you think most would prefer Green Tea to fruit teas or chai?

#3 What flavors make Brits jump and down with glee?

Mint?

Peach?

Jasmine?

Mandarin?

or...?

If you're from another country across the big blue Atlantic I'd love to
hear your opinions too.

I really would appreciate your opinions of what you think most people
are enjoying.

Best,

Old West Tea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

1. It's sold as a novelty item in most coffeeshops. I never see
anyone drinking it, though.

2. In terms of my subjective assessment of what I see people buying:
fruit infusions > green tea > chai

3. Peppermint, camomile, jasmine, orange/mandarin are the usual
additives to everything from tea to cheese (ick).

Good luck,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

When I go to the US, I see a lot of people buying Chai at Starbucks -
here in the UK Starbucks does sell it but no one ever asks for it. For
one thing, I bet most people don't even know what it is.

Hobbes is right about the fruit/green/chai order. The other thing,
talking about Starbucks, that doesn't sell here but does in the US, is
the concept of green tea as the base of unusual concotions (green tea
caramel frappuccino or whatever).

Mint and jasmine are very popular tea flavours (if I may be so bold,
mint is not tea though). Jasmine is drunk particularly at Chinese
restaurants, and perhaps less popular at supermarkets because
supermarkets don't sell it as much as mint tea. Peach and mandarin are
not at all popular for tea - which does not mean they wouldn't be if
they were offered.

In the past 3-6 months, supermarkets have started to sell rarer teas,
like white tea and green jasmine tea. I don't know what the quality of
these is, but it's at least making such teas better known. It was
probably a big deal for the supermarkets to put them on the shelves
given how much shelf space has been allocated since the beginning of
time to the standard teas.

I'd be interested in hearing from Europeans - I know in Paris for
example, they have many really good specialty tea shops. In the UK,
these are becoming more commong (Tea Palace, Tea and Postcards, and
more specialty teas appearing in tea shops in places like the
Cotswolds).

James
=====
www.tippyleaf.com

old west tea wrote:
> I would love to hear your opinions!
>
> I have a fair-trade tea company that works to create incomes for
> Southwest Indians (...and income for myself I should add -- if I'm
> lucky! -- tho I am not a Pueblo or Navajo Indian).
>
> Here are my questions:
>
> #1 Do Brits go for Chai?
>
> #2 Do you think most would prefer Green Tea to fruit teas or chai?
>
> #3 What flavors make Brits jump and down with glee?
>
> Mint?
>
> Peach?
>
> Jasmine?
>
> Mandarin?
>
> or...?
>
> If you're from another country across the big blue Atlantic I'd love to
> hear your opinions too.
>
> I really would appreciate your opinions of what you think most people
> are enjoying.
>
> Best,
>
> Old West Tea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi Hobbs,

Ha ha that's funny, peppermint, camo, jasmine, etc., are the usual
additives ...even to cheese!

I spend a bit of time in the Southwest and green chile is put into
everything ~ and I kid you not! Bagels, jellies, you name it (and of
course cheese).

Thanks for answering my question.

HobbesOxon wrote:
> 1. It's sold as a novelty item in most coffeeshops. I never see
> anyone drinking it, though.
>
> 2. In terms of my subjective assessment of what I see people buying:
> fruit infusions > green tea > chai
>
> 3. Peppermint, camomile, jasmine, orange/mandarin are the usual
> additives to everything from tea to cheese (ick).
>

> Good luck,
>
> Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Hi James,

Thanks for your great answer. Yes, I do hear supermarkets have given
loads of shelf space to the usual teas since the beginning of time.

What a nice website you have ...and great teas! Have you ever thought
of putting your loose teas into pyramid teabags -- not the teabags like
PG Tips has but the nylon see-through ones? Since people like the
convenience of teabags is seems a good step for someone like you who
has great loose teas?

Best,

Old West Tea
www.longevitytea.com

hmmm... is rooibos making a splash in the UK?

TippyLeaf.com wrote:
> When I go to the US, I see a lot of people buying Chai at Starbucks -
> here in the UK Starbucks does sell it but no one ever asks for it. For
> one thing, I bet most people don't even know what it is.
>
> Hobbes is right about the fruit/green/chai order. The other thing,
> talking about Starbucks, that doesn't sell here but does in the US, is
> the concept of green tea as the base of unusual concotions (green tea
> caramel frappuccino or whatever).
>
> Mint and jasmine are very popular tea flavours (if I may be so bold,
> mint is not tea though). Jasmine is drunk particularly at Chinese
> restaurants, and perhaps less popular at supermarkets because
> supermarkets don't sell it as much as mint tea. Peach and mandarin are
> not at all popular for tea - which does not mean they wouldn't be if
> they were offered.
>
> In the past 3-6 months, supermarkets have started to sell rarer teas,
> like white tea and green jasmine tea. I don't know what the quality of
> these is, but it's at least making such teas better known. It was
> probably a big deal for the supermarkets to put them on the shelves
> given how much shelf space has been allocated since the beginning of
> time to the standard teas.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing from Europeans - I know in Paris for
> example, they have many really good specialty tea shops. In the UK,
> these are becoming more commong (Tea Palace, Tea and Postcards, and
> more specialty teas appearing in tea shops in places like the
> Cotswolds).
>
> James
> =====
> www.tippyleaf.com
>
> old west tea wrote:
> > I would love to hear your opinions!
> >
> > I have a fair-trade tea company that works to create incomes for
> > Southwest Indians (...and income for myself I should add -- if I'm
> > lucky! -- tho I am not a Pueblo or Navajo Indian).
> >
> > Here are my questions:
> >
> > #1 Do Brits go for Chai?
> >
> > #2 Do you think most would prefer Green Tea to fruit teas or chai?
> >
> > #3 What flavors make Brits jump and down with glee?
> >
> > Mint?
> >
> > Peach?
> >
> > Jasmine?
> >
> > Mandarin?
> >
> > or...?
> >
> > If you're from another country across the big blue Atlantic I'd love to
> > hear your opinions too.
> >
> > I really would appreciate your opinions of what you think most people
> > are enjoying.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Old West Tea

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I can tell you this. If you sold dried flowers from the SW I'd buy my
share. I often add dried flowers to my tea.

Jim