Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default The perfect cup of tea

I recently went to a local coffee shop and was amazed when I they took loose
tea, placed it on the top of what looked similar to a coffee maker and
within 3 minutes a pot of fresh tea was brewed.

It was simple and I've been there so many times and each time I get a
perfect cup.

Does anyone else use a brewer and if so, is there a good make/model to
purchase?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I got a bodum assam teapot for Christmas. The first brew (of
Darjeeling) tasted of plastic, but I hope that fades away after awhile.
Toci
aaaaa wrote:
> I recently went to a local coffee shop and was amazed when I they took loose
> tea, placed it on the top of what looked similar to a coffee maker and
> within 3 minutes a pot of fresh tea was brewed.
>
> It was simple and I've been there so many times and each time I get a
> perfect cup.
>
> Does anyone else use a brewer and if so, is there a good make/model to
> purchase?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

The second brew, of Nilgiri, was much better. Toci
toci wrote:
> I got a bodum assam teapot for Christmas. The first brew (of
> Darjeeling) tasted of plastic, but I hope that fades away after awhile.
> Toci
> aaaaa wrote:
> > I recently went to a local coffee shop and was amazed when I they took loose
> > tea, placed it on the top of what looked similar to a coffee maker and
> > within 3 minutes a pot of fresh tea was brewed.
> >
> > It was simple and I've been there so many times and each time I get a
> > perfect cup.
> >
> > Does anyone else use a brewer and if so, is there a good make/model to
> > purchase?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
BDH BDH is offline

> Does anyone else use a brewer and if so, is there a good make/model to
> purchase?

I don't think toci answered your question. I have wondered the same
thing myself. A quick google brings up
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ws/B000HJNJNO/ though. A
bit pricey, but if anyone here has used that machine I'd be interested.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Most coffee brewers don't heat the water to the boiling point, which is
what you need to properly brew black tea. I'd recommend buying a good
electric kettle, which is much faster than boiling water on the
stovetop. No need to build a better mousetrap when an electric kettle,
ceramic teapot and good quality loose tea are all you need to make a
perfect cup of tea.

On Dec 31 2006, 1:53 am, "aaaaa" > wrote:
> I recently went to a local coffee shop and was amazed when I they took loose
> tea, placed it on the top of what looked similar to a coffee maker and
> within 3 minutes a pot of fresh tea was brewed.
>
> It was simple and I've been there so many times and each time I get a
> perfect cup.
>
> Does anyone else use a brewer and if so, is there a good make/model to
> purchase?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
BDH BDH is offline

Fran wrote:
> Most coffee brewers don't heat the water to the boiling point, which is
> what you need to properly brew black tea.

I never use boiling water for any good tea. Coffee temperature water is
too hot if anything.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Jan 2, 9:48 pm, "BDH" > wrote:

> > I never use boiling water for any good tea. Coffee temperature water is

> too hot if anything.

Then I don't know how you're managing to get a proper infusion. Only
green and oolong teas should be brewed with water beneath the boiling
point. The reason so many tea drinkers complain about the tea served
in restaurants is largely due to their failure to boil the water before
serving the tea.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Fran" > writes:

> On Jan 2, 9:48 pm, "BDH" > wrote:
>
> > > I never use boiling water for any good tea. Coffee temperature water is

> > too hot if anything.

> Then I don't know how you're managing to get a proper infusion. Only
> green and oolong teas should be brewed with water beneath the boiling
> point. The reason so many tea drinkers complain about the tea served
> in restaurants is largely due to their failure to boil the water before
> serving the tea.

In the immortal words of Larry Wall, "There's more than one way to do
it."

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:

> In the immortal words of Larry Wall, "There's more than one way to do
> it."

Oh, there is more than one way to do it, but that does not make the
alternative methods correct. The use of boiling water for black tea is
the one rule that should never be violated. It is even more important
than the quality of tea used, or the use of loose tea vs a teabag. I
would rather have a cup of tea made with a Lipton tea bag (never my
first choice) and boiling water than a cup of tea brewed with the
finest loose leaves and water that is below the boil.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[Lew]
>> In the immortal words of Larry Wall, "There's more than one way to do
>> it."

[Fran]
> Oh, there is more than one way to do it, but that does not make the
> alternative methods correct. The use of boiling water for black tea is
> the one rule that should never be violated. It is even more important
> than the quality of tea used, or the use of loose tea vs a teabag. I
> would rather have a cup of tea made with a Lipton tea bag (never my
> first choice) and boiling water than a cup of tea brewed with the
> finest loose leaves and water that is below the boil.

[Michael]
I respect your opinion, and that is exactly
what it is, no more. I will not make a
claim that boiling water will ruin red (black)
tea, but I let the temperature fall slightly in
most cases and *in my opinion* the tea benefits
for the slightly lowered temperature.

Some black teas are quite delicate, being mostly
buds. Although they are fully oxidized, still there
is a hint of "green-ness," what I like to call a
reedy-ness, something fresh and good. That quality
can be burned away.

Let us say that each tea needs to be explored on
its own merits, and approaches need to vary.
Meanwhile, to state the obvious, you are welcome
to your opinion.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

It's been awhile but I double checked over the holidays an expensive
restaurant on Christmas eve and a cheap mexican restaurant on New
Year's Eve can't even boil water for teabags. Why do I still try?

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'm not sure but I get my perfect cuppa from this pot I got at
teacuppa.com ... you can check it out at their web site.

aaaaa wrote:
> I recently went to a local coffee shop and was amazed when I they took loose
> tea, placed it on the top of what looked similar to a coffee maker and
> within 3 minutes a pot of fresh tea was brewed.
>
> It was simple and I've been there so many times and each time I get a
> perfect cup.
>
> Does anyone else use a brewer and if so, is there a good make/model to
> purchase?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Fran > wrote:
>Lewis Perin wrote:
>>
>> In the immortal words of Larry Wall, "There's more than one way to do
>> it."
>>

>Oh, there is more than one way to do it, but that does not make the
>alternative methods correct. The use of boiling water for black tea is
>the one rule that should never be violated. It is even more important
>than the quality of tea used, or the use of loose tea vs a teabag. I
>would rather have a cup of tea made with a Lipton tea bag (never my
>first choice) and boiling water than a cup of tea brewed with the
>finest loose leaves and water that is below the boil.

Using lower temperature water for black tea means you need longer steeping
times. Less of the good tea tastes come out, and more of the tannic flavour
comes out. I think that's a bad thing, but chacun a son gout.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>It's been awhile but I double checked over the holidays an expensive
>restaurant on Christmas eve and a cheap mexican restaurant on New
>Year's Eve can't even boil water for teabags. Why do I still try?

Because Legal Seafood in Boston and the Blue Talon in Williamsburg, VA.
both carry decent tea and know how to brew it.
--scott

A Perfect 10? JL[_3_] General Cooking 14 12-10-2010 07:09 PM
Perfect BBQ was had Duwop Barbecue 0 27-05-2005 10:47 PM
The perfect cup of tea Captain Infinity Tea 12 19-04-2005 08:20 PM
The perfect cup of tea Captain Infinity Tea 0 08-04-2005 02:18 AM
The perfect foil creates the perfect setup again! Jay Santos Vegan 860 27-01-2005 10:32 PM