Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Unassuming tea blossom pitcher

My local tea shoppe was having a sell on some promotional items from
the various big tea sites. I walked in and there was some tea blossoms
brewing in a couple of these pitchers. It is 420ml/14oz. The pitcher
is thick glass and magnifies the blossom 2x which impressed me the
most. The body is bowed so the blossom won't fall out even if held
vertical when pouring out the last drop. The handle never gets hot.
It has a good lip so you won't spill a drop no matter how full. The
box doesn't say anything about blossoms just to be used with paper
filters. If you look there is a filter basket that goes with it which
I also got. I use the filter basket top as a lid which isn't
absolutely necessary. I got an Upton electric 1 liter SS detachable
kettle with variable thermostat for about half the price. The only
thing of note the kettle needs to be half full for the thermostat to
work in all ranges. It's 1400 watts and will make water holy real
fast.

http://tinyurl.com/y3lmts

Jim

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

That's a very pretty jug. I recently bought two similar ones from ITC
which are a little more squat:

http://tinyurl.com/arxa4

There's something satisfying about thick glass. Conversely, there's
something unsatisfying about thin glass. I recently bought three of
these from Dragon Tea House:

http://tinyurl.com/vqj7l

The service from this vendor is excellent (he very kindly offered to
resend another saucer that was cracked in transit), but the gaiwans are
exceptionally thin glass. This means that I can no longer pour with
one hand: the lid becomes so hot when pouring that one cannot hold the
lid on with just a thumb. I have to use the other hand to gingerly
hold the lid at its edges, which is a pity.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good thick-glass gaiwan? The
thicker and heavier, the better.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Have you tried a tea blossom in yours? My glassware before this one
was too big. Mine probably gives me 8 oz of tea with the blossom
displacement. I don't top it off. Mine also makes needles look sexy.
I've tried bushy stem teas also with good visual results. I wonder if
these are generic pitchers with thick magnifying glass? I'll check out
a gourmet kitchen store soon. I second Gordon at DTH. I'll have to
get some glass gaiwans on the next order. My local tea shoppe is
moving into a brand new building nearby. The owner says he needs more
tables, more kitchen, more shelving, more storage, more counter, more
of everything. January is his fourth year in business.

Jim

HobbesOxon wrote:
> That's a very pretty jug. I recently bought two similar ones from ITC
> which are a little more squat:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/arxa4
>
> There's something satisfying about thick glass. Conversely, there's
> something unsatisfying about thin glass. I recently bought three of
> these from Dragon Tea House:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/vqj7l
>
> The service from this vendor is excellent (he very kindly offered to
> resend another saucer that was cracked in transit), but the gaiwans are
> exceptionally thin glass. This means that I can no longer pour with
> one hand: the lid becomes so hot when pouring that one cannot hold the
> lid on with just a thumb. I have to use the other hand to gingerly
> hold the lid at its edges, which is a pity.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good thick-glass gaiwan? The
> thicker and heavier, the better.
>

> Toodlepip,
>
> Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> > [...]
> > Does anyone have a recommendation for a good thick-glass gaiwan? The
> > thicker and heavier, the better.

I *think* this is the same sturdy gaiwan that serves me reliably at work:

http://www.tenren.com/gljacupg.html

I bought mine at a bricks-and-mortar Ten Ren in New York.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recently updated: Cha Qi
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis 11/20/06

>>> [...]
>>> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good thick-glass gaiwan? The
>>> thicker and heavier, the better.

> I *think* this is the same sturdy gaiwan that serves me reliably at work:

http://www.tenren.com/gljacupg.html

> I bought mine at a bricks-and-mortar Ten Ren in New York.

It might be known as the "jasmine cup," but I think I can say with fair
certainty that Lew's still awaits its first jasmine steep. I hope said cup
is not holding its glassy breath.
Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael Plant wrote:

> It might be known as the "jasmine cup," but I think I can say with fair
> certainty that Lew's still awaits its first jasmine steep. I hope said cup
> is not holding its glassy breath.
> Michael

It seems like the one that Hobbes got and the one that Lew got are a
bit different in proportions -- the one Lew got has more space between
the rim and where the lid rests, whereas the one Hobbes got has almost
no space at all.

It usually becomes pretty tempting to pour to where the lid is..... or
close, anyway, and once you place the lid, the water oozes up a little,
which means it will be right up to the rim in Hobbes' case.... and
making the rim extremely hot.

Try pouring less . It might work better and not burn your fingers.

MarshalN
http://www.xanga.com/MarshalN

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael Plant > writes:

> Lewis 11/20/06

> > I *think* this is the same sturdy gaiwan that serves me reliably at work:

http://www.tenren.com/gljacupg.html

> > I bought mine at a bricks-and-mortar Ten Ren in New York.

> It might be known as the "jasmine cup," but I think I can say with
> fair certainty that Lew's still awaits its first jasmine steep. I
> hope said cup is not holding its glassy breath.

When they ask me where have all the flowers gone, I'll have an
ironclad alibi.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default On Gaiwans [was:Unassuming tea blossom pitcher]

11/20/06

> Michael Plant wrote:
>
>> It might be known as the "jasmine cup," but I think I can say with fair
>> certainty that Lew's still awaits its first jasmine steep. I hope said cup
>> is not holding its glassy breath.
>> Michael

> It seems like the one that Hobbes got and the one that Lew got are a
> bit different in proportions -- the one Lew got has more space between
> the rim and where the lid rests, whereas the one Hobbes got has almost
> no space at all.
>
> It usually becomes pretty tempting to pour to where the lid is..... or
> close, anyway, and once you place the lid, the water oozes up a little,
> which means it will be right up to the rim in Hobbes' case.... and
> making the rim extremely hot.
>
> Try pouring less . It might work better and not burn your fingers.

I think that's a crucial point. For a comfortable pour, I
believe you would need the lid to fit somewhat within
the rim of the cup; otherwise, as you suggest, it's
burning finger time again, and a broken lid moment.
Gaiwan discussions around here lately have centered
on whether the proper grasp is at the rim with index
finger planted firmly over or in the lid knob, or alternately
with some number of fingers and/or thumb grasping the
base of the cup while the others control the rim and the
lid. I go for the former, as you can probably tell.

For what it's worth, Lew's everyday gaiwan is perhaps
five or six ounces capacity, while mine is no more than
two ounces. I find this small size efficacious on several
fronts. First, I can use less tea, drink less of each kind
and move through three types throughout the day without
guilt. I find the size easy to handle. I seem to remember
that Lew's glass gaiwan has nice thin walls, while most
I've seen are rather thick walled and, to me, clumsy.

But, in the end, I'm convinced that God's plan for us
does not include glass gaiwans. Porcelain gaiwans are
pure and worthy.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

there are several companies that have beutiful, inexpensive teaware
www.republicoftea.com
www.harney.com
www.shanshuiteas.com-by far they have the most choices of teaware and
utensils

joanne r.

Michael Plant wrote:
> 11/20/06
>

> > Michael Plant wrote:
> >
> >> It might be known as the "jasmine cup," but I think I can say with fair
> >> certainty that Lew's still awaits its first jasmine steep. I hope said cup
> >> is not holding its glassy breath.
> >> Michael

> > It seems like the one that Hobbes got and the one that Lew got are a
> > bit different in proportions -- the one Lew got has more space between
> > the rim and where the lid rests, whereas the one Hobbes got has almost
> > no space at all.
> >
> > It usually becomes pretty tempting to pour to where the lid is..... or
> > close, anyway, and once you place the lid, the water oozes up a little,
> > which means it will be right up to the rim in Hobbes' case.... and
> > making the rim extremely hot.
> >
> > Try pouring less . It might work better and not burn your fingers.

> I think that's a crucial point. For a comfortable pour, I
> believe you would need the lid to fit somewhat within
> the rim of the cup; otherwise, as you suggest, it's
> burning finger time again, and a broken lid moment.
> Gaiwan discussions around here lately have centered
> on whether the proper grasp is at the rim with index
> finger planted firmly over or in the lid knob, or alternately
> with some number of fingers and/or thumb grasping the
> base of the cup while the others control the rim and the
> lid. I go for the former, as you can probably tell.
>
> For what it's worth, Lew's everyday gaiwan is perhaps
> five or six ounces capacity, while mine is no more than
> two ounces. I find this small size efficacious on several
> fronts. First, I can use less tea, drink less of each kind
> and move through three types throughout the day without
> guilt. I find the size easy to handle. I seem to remember
> that Lew's glass gaiwan has nice thin walls, while most
> I've seen are rather thick walled and, to me, clumsy.
>
> But, in the end, I'm convinced that God's plan for us
> does not include glass gaiwans. Porcelain gaiwans are
> pure and worthy.
>
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> there are several companies that have beutiful, inexpensive teaware
> www.republicoftea.com
> www.harney.com
> www.shanshuiteas.com-by far they have the most choices of teaware and
> utensils
>
> joanne r.

While ShanShui does have a wide variety, you need to be careful because many
of the cups and associated wares are clunky and thick walled. This is not
bad, but if you expect thin porcelain, you might be disappointed. The
pictured glass gaiwan is of the lid-hugs-the-rim type that MarshalN wanred
about. I have made purchases from ShanShui, and I am much plesaed.

I have to recommend against harney and rot on principle, as they are massive
companies, and American based. I looked over the Harney site and unearthed
but one lonely gaiwan and not a single tasting or aroma cup or sharing
pitcher. Clearly Harney is out of the loop. My rot search revealed nothing,
although I might have missed it.

Instead I recommend Jing Tea Shop because their porcelain teawares are thin
walled, well formed, well made, and reasonably priced, although I wouldn't
tell them that. (Woops!). Being in Guang Zhou, they can usually do better
than American based companies. It is my humble opinion that they Sebastian
and Jing have good taste. They've been rather quiet lately, eh?

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael Plant > wrote:

>Instead I recommend Jing Tea Shop because their porcelain teawares are thin
>walled, well formed, well made, and reasonably priced, although I wouldn't
>tell them that. (Woops!). Being in Guang Zhou, they can usually do better
>than American based companies. It is my humble opinion that they Sebastian
>and Jing have good taste. They've been rather quiet lately, eh?

I break thinwalled porcelain... my office is something of a mess and I have
a tendency to put my teacup down on top of heavy machinery.

I really love the Chatsworth "Vitrified Hotelware" materials... they look
like thin china, and they have the right weight to them, but you can throw
them against the wall and they don't chip.

I'd _love_ to have a gaiwan made of that stuff.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Scott /21/06

> Michael Plant > wrote:
>>
>> Instead I recommend Jing Tea Shop because their porcelain teawares are thin
>> walled, well formed, well made, and reasonably priced, although I wouldn't
>> tell them that. (Woops!). Being in Guang Zhou, they can usually do better
>> than American based companies. It is my humble opinion that they Sebastian
>> and Jing have good taste. They've been rather quiet lately, eh?

> I break thinwalled porcelain... my office is something of a mess and I have
> a tendency to put my teacup down on top of heavy machinery.
>
> I really love the Chatsworth "Vitrified Hotelware" materials... they look
> like thin china, and they have the right weight to them, but you can throw
> them against the wall and they don't chip.
>
> I'd _love_ to have a gaiwan made of that stuff.

I think I know the material you mention, but I don't remember it as being
quite as thin as thin porcelain. I notice that Jing's cobalt blue painted
gaiwans come in "lower" and "higher" qualities, the former being thinner
and drawn with a more spontaneous hand, so the drawing retain a painterly
quality. The higher priced ones are heavier, although not heavy, and the
paintings are more even in shade and deeper in tone. I much prefer the
former. I have both in my collections.

Tell me more about the vitrified hotelware.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael Plant > writes:

> [...]
>
> For what it's worth, Lew's everyday gaiwan is perhaps five or six
> ounces capacity, while mine is no more than two ounces. I find this
> small size efficacious on several fronts. First, I can use less tea,
> drink less of each kind and move through three types throughout the
> day without guilt. I find the size easy to handle. I seem to
> remember that Lew's glass gaiwan has nice thin walls, while most
> I've seen are rather thick walled and, to me, clumsy.

I would call it medium thickness, actually: nowhere near as thin as
some porcelain.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
recent addition: zhen pin
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael Plant > wrote:

>I think I know the material you mention, but I don't remember it as being
>quite as thin as thin porcelain. I notice that Jing's cobalt blue painted
>gaiwans come in "lower" and "higher" qualities, the former being thinner
>and drawn with a more spontaneous hand, so the drawing retain a painterly
>quality. The higher priced ones are heavier, although not heavy, and the
>paintings are more even in shade and deeper in tone. I much prefer the
>former. I have both in my collections.

It is not as thin as the best thin porcelain, but it is still pretty thin.
You could pass it off as mid-grade porcelain and get away with it, I think.

>Tell me more about the vitrified hotelware.

You now know about all I do. It's some kind of super-high-firing glasslike
stuff, even higher firing than porcelain. Whatever it is, I like it.
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I have one from ITC that's great. However it's kind of large (7 oz or
so). YSLLC has one that Scott recommends.

HobbesOxon wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for a good thick-glass gaiwan? The
> thicker and heavier, the better.
>

> Toodlepip,
>
> Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Michael Plant wrote:
>...snip...
> Tell me more about the vitrified hotelware.
>
> Michael

http://www.halfvalue.com/Dinnerware.htm
explains why vitrified china is stronger.

Upton has a few 'Steelite Vitrified Hotelware' Chatsford teapots.

hth

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>Michael Plant wrote:
>http://www.halfvalue.com/Dinnerware.htm
>explains why vitrified china is stronger.
>
>Upton has a few 'Steelite Vitrified Hotelware' Chatsford teapots.

And they are excellent. Now, if they'd only make a gaiwan...
--scott
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Scott /27/06

>> Michael Plant wrote:
>> http://www.halfvalue.com/Dinnerware.htm
>> explains why vitrified china is stronger.
>>
>> Upton has a few 'Steelite Vitrified Hotelware' Chatsford teapots.

> And they are excellent. Now, if they'd only make a gaiwan...

Hey Scott, Michael Plant did *not* write that. Watch those
citations. Credit only where credit is due.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

(Scott Dorsey) wrote :
> And they are excellent. Now, if they'd only make a gaiwan...
> --scott

Are there Gaiwans made of genuine porcelain?
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Nov 21, 5:59 am, Michael Plant > wrote:
> egroups.com11/20/06
>
> > Michael Plant wrote:

First, I can use less tea, drink less of each kind
> and move through three types throughout the day without
> guilt.

My dear friend Michael,
guilt??? whatcha talking about???? Mostly I use a cup (old coffee cups)
with a simple thin cup size metal or mesh filter and still drink 20
cups a day Heh... WHat I fell guilty about (just minldly tho) is all
the tea ware I have from the travel mug (the one with the hologram) to
expensive yixixng, multiple very nice gaiwans and now I want this one
too (the glass one) I am not a teaware collector but it looks like that
on my shelves and cabinets. Never ever feel guilty of how much tea you
drink. I thnk sometimes maybe I feel bad when I cannot take time at
work to steep my cup more than once.
Maybe cups is wrong, I use mostly a gallon of purified water at home on
a day I am off and drinking tea which I cannot do at work. Drink up,
dont feel guilty and I am lusting after the beautiful clear glass
gaiwans I have seen here in this thread.
Jenn, drooling, with a dan cong classic in the cup it has got cold and
is still yummy

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

snip snip

> Instead I recommend Jing Tea Shop because their porcelain teawares are thin
> walled, well formed, well made, and reasonably priced, although I wouldn't
> tell them that. (Woops!). Being in Guang Zhou, they can usually do better
> than American based companies. It is my humble opinion that they Sebastian
> and Jing have good taste. They've been rather quiet lately, eh?
>
> Michael

Michael, I have some great stuff from Jings tea shop their tea ware is
unsurpassed in what I have seen thus far. You can see thru then when
held up to light and I use them for tasting. NIce stuff... Umm their
tea is good too...

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

On Nov 21, 11:22 am, "Danica" > wrote:
> I have one from ITC that's great. However it's kind of large (7 oz or
> so).

I have seen a site called asiachi but never bought anything from them,
their gaiwans are very inexpensive like 5-9 bucks, does anyone know of
them, or have bought stuff from them?

Jenn

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Jenn" wrote:

> I have seen a site called asiachi but never bought anything from
> them, their gaiwans are very inexpensive like 5-9 bucks, does
> anyone know of them, or have bought stuff from them?
>
> Jenn

AsiaChi is the online store of Wing Hop Fung, a large Chinese
department store in Los Angeles.
See: http://www.asiachi.com/about.html

I bought a Zojirushi hot water pot from them. Price and delivery time
were good.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

[Michael]
> > First, I can use less tea, drink less of each kind and
>> move through three types throughout the day without
>> guilt.

[Jenn]
> My dear friend Michael,
> guilt??? whatcha talking about???? Mostly I use a cup (old coffee cups)
> with a simple thin cup size metal or mesh filter and still drink 20
> cups a day Heh...

[Michael]
So, I have these little one and a half ounce to two ounce
gaiwans which are just right for producing one or two
little cups of tea for each steep. I can put the tea through
any number of steeps and enjoy each one by myself.
With friends a five to six ounce gaiwan is more common,
or an YiXing pot. For myself, I have YiXing pots of
approximately three ounces, but even these are too large
for me alone. There is a tradition of tiny YiXing pots,
which were in some cases exquisitely made. I have one
very small YiXing dedicated to green teas, and it does
a fantastic job with them. None of which speaks to your
issue at all, does it? Well. Say la tea!

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I've seen the 30g teapots occasionally. I thought they were an oddity
for display and not use.

Jim

Michael Plant wrote:
> So, I have these little one and a half ounce to two ounce
> gaiwans which are just right for producing one or two
> little cups of tea for each steep. I can put the tea through
> any number of steeps and enjoy each one by myself.
> With friends a five to six ounce gaiwan is more common,
> or an YiXing pot. For myself, I have YiXing pots of
> approximately three ounces, but even these are too large
> for me alone. There is a tradition of tiny YiXing pots,
> which were in some cases exquisitely made. I have one
> very small YiXing dedicated to green teas, and it does
> a fantastic job with them. None of which speaks to your
> issue at all, does it? Well. Say la tea!
>
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

>From what I can remember I couldn't figure out how to put in the leaf
and water. It wasn't meant for a dollhouse but close enough. I'm
guessing at the 1oz size but I'd be surprised if it was two.

Jim