Posted to rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.drink,alt.religion.dake-bonoism

Default Gunpowder Tea

I purchased a small green box of gunpowder tea at the local asian
grocer the other day, thinking that it would be similar to other loose
leaf green teas that I have tried.

I was surprised at how different the consistency is, at how "powdery"
it really is. It seems very strong when steeped in the manner I am
accustomed. I'm guessing that I'm not preparing it properly. Could
someone provide me some tips on the preparation of gunpowder tea? Or,
should I just avoid it altogether?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea,rec.food.drink,alt.religion.dake-bonoism

"Alan Truism" > writes:

> I purchased a small green box of gunpowder tea at the local asian
> grocer the other day, thinking that it would be similar to other loose
> leaf green teas that I have tried.
>
> I was surprised at how different the consistency is, at how "powdery"
> it really is. It seems very strong when steeped in the manner I am
> accustomed. I'm guessing that I'm not preparing it properly. Could
> someone provide me some tips on the preparation of gunpowder tea?

Try giving it shorter steeps at a lower temperature.

> Or, should I just avoid it altogether?

....if the advice above doesn't help.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Alan Truism" > writes:
>
> > I purchased a small green box of gunpowder tea at the local asian
> > grocer the other day, thinking that it would be similar to other loose
> > leaf green teas that I have tried.
> >
> > I was surprised at how different the consistency is, at how "powdery"
> > it really is. It seems very strong when steeped in the manner I am
> > accustomed. I'm guessing that I'm not preparing it properly. Could
> > someone provide me some tips on the preparation of gunpowder tea?

> Try giving it shorter steeps at a lower temperature.
>
> > Or, should I just avoid it altogether?

> ...if the advice above doesn't help.

I'm using the inexpensive "Temple of Heaven" brand if that makes any
difference. The tea seems to be covered in a fine dust. Is that normal?

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea,alt.religion.dake-bonoism,misc.misc

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Alan Truism > wrote:
> >
> >I'm using the inexpensive "Temple of Heaven" brand if that makes any
> >difference. The tea seems to be covered in a fine dust. Is that normal?

> Yes.
>
> It IS possible to get a good cup of tea from that stuff, even a great one.
> But you have to be VERY careful about time and temperature... it wants a
> fairly cool water, maybe as low as 180'F.
>
> Steep it too hot or too long and it gets very tannic.
> --scott

Thanks for the info Scott.

I've experimented some with the amount as well as with the steep times.
I'm trying not to let the water get too hot but I've not been very
precise. I'm using a Bodum electric water kettle and I try to pull it
off before it gets to full boil and it clicks off. One of these days
I'll get a thermometer for use when I make tea.

I'm try again, paying particular attention to the temperature and
shorten the steep time even more.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea,alt.religion.dake-bonoism,misc.misc

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Alan Truism wrote:
> >
> >I'm using the inexpensive "Temple of Heaven" brand if that makes any
> >difference. The tea seems to be covered in a fine dust. Is that normal?

> Yes.
>
> It IS possible to get a good cup of tea from that stuff, even a great one.
> But you have to be VERY careful about time and temperature... it wants a
> fairly cool water, maybe as low as 180'F.
>
> Steep it too hot or too long and it gets very tannic.
> --scott

Thanks for the info Scott.

I've experimented some with the amount as well as with the steep times.
I'm trying not to let the water get too hot but I've not been very
precise. I'm using a Bodum electric water kettle and I try to pull it
off before it gets to full boil and it clicks off. One of these days
I'll get a thermometer for use when I make tea.

I'll try again, paying particular attention to the temperature and
shorten the steep time even more.

Sweet gunpowder? Dario Niedermann Tea 3 07-06-2013 05:01 PM
Gunpowder Tea Scott Dorsey Tea 0 03-11-2006 05:09 PM
Gunpowder Tea Alan Truism General 1 01-11-2006 02:54 PM
Gunpowder Teas S. Chancellor Tea 45 25-01-2006 04:55 AM
Gunpowder tea - Where to buy? Fred Carpenter Tea 0 05-01-2004 10:13 PM