Old 27-09-2010, 02:03 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Old Yixing teapots on Ebay

My wifes sister-in-law brother who lives in Taiwan sent me some
nitrogen packed tea with the label Bao-Chung. Talk about mixing
PinYin and Wade-Giles. The biggest craze is aged Bao-Zhong. He sent
some from 1968 which was found stored in a shed which a local farmer
forgot. This is happening all over Taiwan. My first impression it is
very woodsy. The leaves are hard and black. There is a slight
fermentation taste. Leaves this old especially in a pile may have
composted. If you suck on the leaves there is a hay taste. There is
no charcoal or burnt taste which would indicate tampering. The leaves
are much bigger than any BaoZhong of late. In the second infusion
there is a pronounced vegetal taste which isnt present in newer
BaoZhong. The taste is as much psychological as physical. I can
remember 1968 when I was in college. You couldnt forget it. If this
tea is as old as claimed then some of the taste I believe is preserved
and shows the difference in what you taste today.

Jim

On Sep 24, 3:29 pm, Lewis Perin wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:
kyleshen wrote:
All the "vintage" Yixings from 5000friend are modern fakes. I have been
an active Yixing collector for 20 years.

Are they fakes (made of earthenware) or just modern Yixing pots?

I am pretty sure the the vast majority of "vintage" Yixing pots sold are
in fact modern. That's fine as long as you don't expect you're getting
something old and rare and are buying it as a thing to drink tea from.

However, if it's a fake that isn't made from zishou (and there are a lot
of those out there), it won't be the same for drinking tea from.

Uh, I think you mean *zisha*.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Used Yixing teapots Jazzy[_2_] Tea 15 17-08-2007 01:50 PM
yixing teapots pgwk Tea 0 20-04-2007 05:07 AM
Best way to clean old Yixing teapots? KM Tea 5 07-01-2007 11:27 AM
2 questions re Yixing teapots Dee Randall Asian Cooking 1 11-10-2006 04:58 PM
yixing teapots Tom Tea 42 23-01-2004 02:12 PM