Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Need two gaiwans, can anyone help?

In my last travels to NYC and Chinatown I was able to buy a couple very
inexpensive (~$3-4) Gaiwans from Kam Man... and stupidly I did not buy
enough. I now need two more and most places I have found online charge
a fortune. If anyone who lives near a chinatown and has access to cheap
gaiwans would be willing to buy them and send them I would be more than
happy to paypal the funds and extra for the trouble. Being stuck in
Pittsburgh, PA I have no options except online ordering. All I'm
looking for are two basic gaiwans (4-8oz. is fine) that are plain white
inside and any decoration outside. Not picky.

Feel free to email me off group if you prefer. Any help is appreciated.

- Dominic
Drinking: Ten Ren '06 Spring Dragonwell

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I might be able to help you, but i'm not sure when my next trip to
monterey park will be.

email me!

~j

Dominic T. wrote:
> In my last travels to NYC and Chinatown I was able to buy a couple very
> inexpensive (~$3-4) Gaiwans from Kam Man... and stupidly I did not buy
> enough. I now need two more and most places I have found online charge
> a fortune. If anyone who lives near a chinatown and has access to cheap
> gaiwans would be willing to buy them and send them I would be more than
> happy to paypal the funds and extra for the trouble. Being stuck in
> Pittsburgh, PA I have no options except online ordering. All I'm
> looking for are two basic gaiwans (4-8oz. is fine) that are plain white
> inside and any decoration outside. Not picky.
>
> Feel free to email me off group if you prefer. Any help is appreciated.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: Ten Ren '06 Spring Dragonwell

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > wrote...
> In my last travels to NYC and Chinatown I was able to buy a couple very
> inexpensive (~$3-4) Gaiwans from Kam Man... and stupidly I did not buy
> enough. I now need two more and most places I have found online charge
> a fortune. If anyone who lives near a chinatown and has access to cheap
> gaiwans would be willing to buy them and send them I would be more than
> happy to paypal the funds and extra for the trouble. Being stuck in
> Pittsburgh, PA I have no options except online ordering. All I'm
> looking for are two basic gaiwans (4-8oz. is fine) that are plain white
> inside and any decoration outside. Not picky.
>
> Feel free to email me off group if you prefer. Any help is appreciated.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: Ten Ren '06 Spring Dragonwell

GaiWan Tea Cups, $4.99 - $5.99
http://asiachi.com/guywancups.html
hth

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

enid wrote:
> GaiWan Tea Cups, $4.99 - $5.99
> http://asiachi.com/guywancups.html
> hth

Yeah, I had seen those but they are all 2-3oz. only. And the only 4oz.
one is pretty lame looking with the daisies and $5.99 +$5.99 s/h and to
top it off they are all out of stock on every gaiwan except the one 2oz
one.

Thanks for the attempt though. Any other links though to reasonably
priced gaiwans are welcome, and Jason I'll shoot you an email.

I figure I'd rather give the money to someone here for the 10 minutes
it might take to grab two cheapie gaiwans and wrap em in some newspaper
and a box... than to pay $30+ dollars to some unknown vendor.

....If only I had a Kam Man to call my own in Pittsburgh I'd die happy.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic,
I will be in Monterey Park on the 22nd. If that helps....I'll be happy
to purchase some gaiwans and post to you. Email me.
Shen
Dominic T. wrote:
> In my last travels to NYC and Chinatown I was able to buy a couple very
> inexpensive (~$3-4) Gaiwans from Kam Man... and stupidly I did not buy
> enough. I now need two more and most places I have found online charge
> a fortune. If anyone who lives near a chinatown and has access to cheap
> gaiwans would be willing to buy them and send them I would be more than
> happy to paypal the funds and extra for the trouble. Being stuck in
> Pittsburgh, PA I have no options except online ordering. All I'm
> looking for are two basic gaiwans (4-8oz. is fine) that are plain white
> inside and any decoration outside. Not picky.
>
> Feel free to email me off group if you prefer. Any help is appreciated.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: Ten Ren '06 Spring Dragonwell

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I'd have to drive to Chinatown. Find some $5 cheapies. Scrounge for a
shipping box. They come in original packing boxes. Stand in line at
the PO. You're getting a good deal even for $30.

Jim

PS I've been looking for ones made of clay for years.

Dominic T. wrote:

> I figure I'd rather give the money to someone here for the 10 minutes
> it might take to grab two cheapie gaiwans and wrap em in some newspaper
> and a box... than to pay $30+ dollars to some unknown vendor.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy wrote:
> I'd have to drive to Chinatown. Find some $5 cheapies. Scrounge for a
> shipping box. They come in original packing boxes. Stand in line at
> the PO. You're getting a good deal even for $30.
>
> Jim
>
> PS I've been looking for ones made of clay for years.

That's why I'm just looking for someone who lives by or frequents a
chinatown or chinese market. At $4-5 each for the gaiwans, $4-6
shipping (USPS 2lb package), you are at $8-11, and say I kick in $10
for the few minutes of time and effort that is $18-22. So even if I
send $25 I've saved $5-10 and someone has made $10-15 for a few minutes
work.

I'm not expecting anyone to go out of their way, and I'm in no rush. I
emailed Jason F, but if he isn't interested or can't I'll email Shen.
I'd much rather toss a few bucks to someone from this NG's way than any
of the unknown vendors online since the vendors I know and use for tea
either do not sell gaiwans or charge way too much.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

You're really lowballing people's time even if they live in Chinatown.
I came across this one yesterday which is what I would buy if I didn't
have a 3,2,1 stack of gaiwans in boxes with characters and Pinyin
waiting for six people to spill their tea on my oriental carpets. I'm
not sure if I could replace part of the matched stack which I've had
for years which then was only $3.99 each with original price tag.

http://www.thejasminepearl.com/White_Gaiwan_p/00077.htm

Jim

Dominic T. wrote:
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> > I'd have to drive to Chinatown.

> That's why I'm just looking for someone who lives by or frequents a
> chinatown or chinese market.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy wrote:
> You're really lowballing people's time even if they live in Chinatown.
> I came across this one yesterday which is what I would buy if I didn't
> have a 3,2,1 stack of gaiwans in boxes with characters and Pinyin
> waiting for six people to spill their tea on my oriental carpets. I'm
> not sure if I could replace part of the matched stack which I've had
> for years which then was only $3.99 each with original price tag.
>
> http://www.thejasminepearl.com/White_Gaiwan_p/00077.htm
>
> Jim

Sheesh, I guess you are certainly not the type of person I was looking
for to help. People sell stuff on Ebay daily and make less than I am
offering for their effort. Seriously, if I walked by Kam Man on a daily
basis it would take me 5 minutes to walk in and buy two gaiwans @ $4
each, and they basically wrap them for you, maybe wrap them in a few
sheets of yesterdays newspaper and stuff some around them and then
stick them in a small old cardboard box with a strip of tape. Then the
next time you are going to the post office mail them out... maybe 10
more minutes. So $10-15 for 15-20 minutes time is a pretty decent
offering, that is $30-45 an hour. Hell, I'd do it for someone here for
nothing more than the cost of the gaiwans and shipping just to help a
brotha out. I never realized I'd get flak for trying to *pay* someone
to do a small favor. Oi!

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy wrote:
> You're really lowballing people's time even if they live in Chinatown.
> I came across this one yesterday which is what I would buy if I didn't
> have a 3,2,1 stack of gaiwans in boxes with characters and Pinyin
> waiting for six people to spill their tea on my oriental carpets. I'm
> not sure if I could replace part of the matched stack which I've had
> for years which then was only $3.99 each with original price tag.

They are selling them with similar prices at the markets in China.
They are extremely low quality but will brew tea all the same. I know
where to pick some up for as little as 3 or 4 RMB which is about 4
cents. I'm sure that's not even the factory price.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

And then you'd bitch and moan about what you got ;-). While searching
for the cheapest gaiwan on the net yesterday I came across some cheap
Chinese teas I haven't seen before. It wasn't a total loss for my time
and effort. You're Welcome and Thank You :-).

Jim

PS I stand in line at the PO and let others swear at the Automated
Postal Center. I also don't go through self checkout at Walmart. When
in Chinatown stock up.

Dominic T. wrote:
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> > You're really lowballing people's time even if they live in Chinatown.

> I never realized I'd get flak for trying to *pay* someone
> to do a small favor. Oi!
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Mydnight" > writes:

> [...cheap gaiwans in US Chinatowns...]
>
> They are selling them with similar prices at the markets in China.
> They are extremely low quality but will brew tea all the same. I know
> where to pick some up for as little as 3 or 4 RMB which is about 4
> cents. I'm sure that's not even the factory price.

I think you mean *40* cents, right? Bargain nonetheless.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic,
Although I live in Berkeley, neither the Chinatown in Oakland (which I
frequent weekly) or the Chinatown in SF have good quality, inexpensive
(less than $15.00) gaiwans. I have seen plenty, though in Chinatown Los
Angeles and in Monterey Park. They run abount $4-5 dollars for
porcelain. I haven't seen too many glass in LA. I'm going down again on
Friday, the 22nd and returning on the 27th. Let me know if you want me
to get a couple for you.
I'm heading there anyway to buy some tea; so, it's no big deal.
Shen

Gaiwans have won Dominic T. Tea 13 28-04-2009 12:37 AM
Larger Gaiwans Melinda Tea 4 20-11-2006 07:39 AM
The switch to glass/gaiwans Dominic T. Tea 18 11-09-2006 04:27 AM
cheap gaiwans Falky foo Tea 4 12-12-2005 10:39 AM
Zisha Gaiwans bruce Tea 24 22-09-2004 12:50 AM