Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default The switch to glass/gaiwans

I have always been a stickler for pure white coating/enamel/porcelain
for any of my teacups or mugs so that I can see the exact hue and the
leaves as they should be. But I recently switched over to clear glass
cups/mugs/gaiwans and I don't think there is any chance of turning
back. Being able to fully appreciate the colors and the leaves in their
agony has made the past month of tea even more enjoyable and
fulfilling.

I also have become a complete convert to gaiwans, and my poor Yixing
has not seen much use for over a month. I'm sure I will eventually work
back into it but I have seen the light and realized what I've been
missing. I was pretty stuck in my ways and really didn't give the
gaiwan much respect, until I began brewing and drinking directly from
it. The other crazy thing is some teas I previously enjoyed I do not
like so much in the more intimate setting of the gaiwan, and when I
analyzed things more closely I found that the tea really has not been
that great in comparison to some others. (some of my most expensive
green kukicha is off my list forever) I have also found I am enjoying
other teas that I previously did not.

Sorry for such a "simple" post but it has had a profound effect on my
enjoyment of tea and I owe thanks to this group for making me break out
of some well-worn ruts, as well as highly recommend trying both or
either if you have not.

- Dominic
Drinking: Numi Assam (in a clear glass mug

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Here's a pic of what's on my desk right now: double-walled Bodum glass,
french press (only for the matter of filtering out the leaves; no
pressing involved), and some delicious Green Anji!

http://users4.ev1.net/~jaaws/20060906.jpg

I really do enjoy glass. :-D

-Drew

Dominic T. wrote:
> I have always been a stickler for pure white coating/enamel/porcelain
> for any of my teacups or mugs so that I can see the exact hue and the
> leaves as they should be. But I recently switched over to clear glass
> cups/mugs/gaiwans and I don't think there is any chance of turning
> back. Being able to fully appreciate the colors and the leaves in their
> agony has made the past month of tea even more enjoyable and
> fulfilling.
>
> I also have become a complete convert to gaiwans, and my poor Yixing
> has not seen much use for over a month. I'm sure I will eventually work
> back into it but I have seen the light and realized what I've been
> missing. I was pretty stuck in my ways and really didn't give the
> gaiwan much respect, until I began brewing and drinking directly from
> it. The other crazy thing is some teas I previously enjoyed I do not
> like so much in the more intimate setting of the gaiwan, and when I
> analyzed things more closely I found that the tea really has not been
> that great in comparison to some others. (some of my most expensive
> green kukicha is off my list forever) I have also found I am enjoying
> other teas that I previously did not.
>
> Sorry for such a "simple" post but it has had a profound effect on my
> enjoyment of tea and I owe thanks to this group for making me break out
> of some well-worn ruts, as well as highly recommend trying both or
> either if you have not.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: Numi Assam (in a clear glass mug

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > writes:

> I have always been a stickler for pure white coating/enamel/porcelain
> for any of my teacups or mugs so that I can see the exact hue and the
> leaves as they should be. But I recently switched over to clear glass
> cups/mugs/gaiwans and I don't think there is any chance of turning
> back. Being able to fully appreciate the colors and the leaves in their
> agony has made the past month of tea even more enjoyable and
> fulfilling.
>
> I also have become a complete convert to gaiwans, and my poor Yixing
> has not seen much use for over a month. I'm sure I will eventually work
> back into it but I have seen the light and realized what I've been
> missing. I was pretty stuck in my ways and really didn't give the
> gaiwan much respect, until I began brewing and drinking directly from
> it. The other crazy thing is some teas I previously enjoyed I do not
> like so much in the more intimate setting of the gaiwan, and when I
> analyzed things more closely I found that the tea really has not been
> that great in comparison to some others. (some of my most expensive
> green kukicha is off my list forever) I have also found I am enjoying
> other teas that I previously did not.

My tea practice mirrors yours to a great extent. Except for the
morning wake-up, I essentially make all my tea in gaiwans. At work,
it's basically glass all the way. I do make an exception at home,
though, when I have the time to concentrate on tea. There I use thin
porcelain gaiwans because they offer better temperature control.
(I've never seen a glass gaiwan that rivals their light weight, which
is to say, low heat absorption.)

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I switched to a glass pot a couple of years ago when I modified my
first tea press. I switched to glass cups from smaller 100-500 ml tea
presses which can be found in asian shops for a couple of bucks. They
come with a sip spout at no extra charge. The cup is cradle in a
plastic handle so it is protected from breaking. I found glass is a
good alternative for making green and oolongs if you always boil water.
It radiates and cools down without cooking the tea. Black teas infuse
almost immediately so temperature isn't a problem. I drink my puer off
the top and enjoy the fizzing. You get a different perspective on
color appreciation because the infusion twinkles with different
background light. If need be sit the cup on a white sheet of paper for
base comparisons. I like glass because it is the lightest material. I
always enjoy the performance of the leaves in the pot. It's the
biggest missing dimension of brewing without glass.

Jim

Dominic T. wrote:
> I have always been a stickler for pure white coating/enamel/porcelain
> for any of my teacups or mugs so that I can see the exact hue and the
> leaves as they should be. But I recently switched over to clear glass
> cups/mugs/gaiwans and I don't think there is any chance of turning
> back. Being able to fully appreciate the colors and the leaves in their
> agony has made the past month of tea even more enjoyable and
> fulfilling.
>
> I also have become a complete convert to gaiwans, and my poor Yixing
> has not seen much use for over a month. I'm sure I will eventually work
> back into it but I have seen the light and realized what I've been
> missing. I was pretty stuck in my ways and really didn't give the
> gaiwan much respect, until I began brewing and drinking directly from
> it. The other crazy thing is some teas I previously enjoyed I do not
> like so much in the more intimate setting of the gaiwan, and when I
> analyzed things more closely I found that the tea really has not been
> that great in comparison to some others. (some of my most expensive
> green kukicha is off my list forever) I have also found I am enjoying
> other teas that I previously did not.
>
> Sorry for such a "simple" post but it has had a profound effect on my
> enjoyment of tea and I owe thanks to this group for making me break out
> of some well-worn ruts, as well as highly recommend trying both or
> either if you have not.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: Numi Assam (in a clear glass mug

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dominic T. wrote:
> I have always been a stickler for pure white coating/enamel/porcelain
> for any of my teacups or mugs so that I can see the exact hue and the
> leaves as they should be. But I recently switched over to clear glass
> cups/mugs/gaiwans and I don't think there is any chance of turning
> back. Being able to fully appreciate the colors and the leaves in their
> agony has made the past month of tea even more enjoyable and
> fulfilling.

I'm definitely with you on this one; gaiwans are very useful. The only
tea that I brew in pots anymore is Gao Shan. I do have a pot that I
especially use for Tie Guan Yin, but ever since the poor spring crop
and all the warnings I've seen (including a news segment in Hong Kong
last week) about the hygiene of the tea and additives, I've pretty much
curbed my TGY drinking. **hopes for a decent and clean autumn crop**

Pu'er isn't a tea that's exactly appreciated for it's scent, so using a
gaiwan is no problem. The other misc. wulongs that I drink also seem
to go well in gaiwan. You don't have to worry about residual flavors
affecting the flavor of the tea you are brewing and it's a much easier
clean-up. I sometimes despise trying to get every last little bit of
leaf out of those tiny freaking pots.

As for using a clear glass gaiwan, I've often thought of buying one,
but I am simply too lazy to make a trip to the market these days. I
guess I'll get around to it eventually. I'd have to find one that
isn't so hot when you are brewing.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Mydnight wrote:
> As for using a clear glass gaiwan, I've often thought of buying one,
> but I am simply too lazy to make a trip to the market these days. I
> guess I'll get around to it eventually. I'd have to find one that
> isn't so hot when you are brewing.

My title may have been a bit misleading, while I do sometimes use a
glass gaiwan I usually use a porcelain or china one. I was trying to
say: The switch to glass (mugs/cups) *and* gaiwans (of any sort -
white/glass)

At work I now have a pretty decent setup. I use a Sunbeam HotShot which
actually boils water to a high temp enough for Pu-Erh, and just let the
water sit for 5-10 minutes after boil for greens and adjust for other
teas. My glass mug and my trusty 'ol Peoples Brew Baskets. I need to
order a gaiwan for work now and I can eliminate the brew baskets and
the hassle completely. At home I boil in a kettle to the right
temperature and use a gaiwan.

I still like my Pu-Erh and my Jasmine Green from Yixing though. I
hadn't realized so many used clear glass, and I certainly was missing
out... I kind of always equated it with those trendy coffee shops
serving coffee in clear glass mugs. With my aversion to metal I have
always had a Whistler all glass tea kettle for boiling water, so now I
can stay with glass from beginning to end for the most part.

- Dominic
Drinking: Dragon Tears

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Please, please, pease, please don't apologize, Dominic...a james brown
referrence there...this newbie appreciates the path. My tastes have
grown accordingly to my ventures. I have found my tastes growing,
shrinking, refining, and becoming tolerant as I brew more. At first I
was staid and stubborn and relied on descriptions- and I either agreed
or didn't. Now I reaize I have 'matoored'...my tastes are not what they
were..and I feel, personally, even more interested. There are few
chances to expand our internal rhetoric that also speak to the hedonist
in us. Glad to see someone else surprised by their 'afficionado-ness'
developing. And you, dominic, know what your doing! thanks for sharing.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

G'day!

Thanks for posting, Dominic. I can understand the love of glass.

However, I want to post a counterbalancing opinion, which just happens
to be the one that I hold.

My gaiwan usage travelled in the opposite direction to your own. I
used to use gaiwan for all teas, then slowly moved my wulong and pu'er
habits into various zisha pots as we acquired them. I use gaiwan for
greens (which favour the lower temperatures of the gaiwan), and kuding,
but not much else these days.

Having gone back to see what gaiwan brewing is like for teas with which
I am very familiar, I notice a great difference, after becoming used to
Yixing. It could be the lower temperatures of the gaiwan - mine are
all white porcelain, which do not retain heat as well as the zisha.
Perhaps it's because of the "clean" porcelain finish to the tea.
Something, however, is different. To my particular tastes, I prefer
the tea that comes from the pots, rather than the gaiwan. (Again, I
should add that this is just a taste preference, and I salute you for
using that which you find to be best for your own tastes, gaiwan or
zisha.)

Also, glass. Again, I travelled in the opposite direction to you. I
started with glass tasting- and aroma-cups, and steadily moved over to
first pure-zisha, then zisha-with-white-enamel-interiors. The glass
gives a clean finish, but there's something in the zisha that I won't
give up. To my own perculiar tastes, the zisha gives a better flavour,
and the glass gives me a certain... "glassiness" in the tasting that I
don't enjoy - not an explicit flavour so much as a subtle modification
of the flavours of the brew, that is. (Again, top marks to you for
going with that which your tastes prefer. Many people aren't that
brave, and just go with the majority.)

This above all, to thine ownself be true.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

HobbesOxon wrote:

.... I whack but I'm not a butcher ... (quote courtesy of Space Cowboy)

> My gaiwan usage travelled in the opposite direction to your own. I
> used to use gaiwan for all teas, then slowly moved my wulong and pu'er
> habits into various zisha pots as we acquired them. I use gaiwan for
> greens (which favour the lower temperatures of the gaiwan), and kuding,
> but not much else these days.

Since I tend toward greens, the switch may have been easier and more
fitting for me than for others. Also, I still brew my Pu-Erh in Yixing
as well as a few other select teas.

> To my own perculiar tastes, the zisha gives a better flavour,
> and the glass gives me a certain... "glassiness" in the tasting that I
> don't enjoy - not an explicit flavour so much as a subtle modification
> of the flavours of the brew, that is.

I actually agree here even though I am enjoying the glass, it is almost
a sterile taste. It adds no character nor does it subtract anything...
it just presents what is there for better or worse. Yixing does add
something to many teas, and as I've said a bunch I still brew my
jasmine green in Yixing and have for 8-10 years even though it is
considered "wrong" but it enhances the flavor to such a noticable
degree that I can instantly tell. I just really enjoy the great view of
the tea and the color in glass.

Overall though the gaiwan has enabled me to pinpoint and appreciate
certain teas much better and has actually exposed a few teas for not
being up to par such as some $200/lb. green kukicha that comes off has
harsh and unpleasant. I don't think I will ever become as attached to a
clear glass vessel as much as some of my mugs or teapots, since they
don't have much "soul" (touche for the James Brown ref. but I can
already see a connection to a particular gaiwan that has a good story
behind it.

Soemtimes it takes a shakeup to routine to grow, and that is exactly
what has been happening and I've been enjoying the ride.

- Dominic
Drinking: Kuding

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
DPM DPM is offline

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]
I do have a pot that I
> especially use for Tie Guan Yin, but ever since the poor spring crop
> and all the warnings I've seen (including a news segment in Hong Kong
> last week) about the hygiene of the tea and additives, I've pretty much
> curbed my TGY drinking. **hopes for a decent and clean autumn crop**

Mydnight, I just got some 2006 TGY at Wing Hop Fung in LA in August, and
although I've had TGY I thought better, it is not bad. But I think I've
missed the "hygiene of the tea and additives" news. Is there something I
should look for, or is all 2006 TGY suspect?

Regards,
Dean

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
DPM DPM is offline

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have always been a stickler for pure white coating/enamel/porcelain
> for any of my teacups or mugs so that I can see the exact hue and the
> leaves as they should be. But I recently switched over to clear glass
> cups/mugs/gaiwans and I don't think there is any chance of turning
> back. Being able to fully appreciate the colors and the leaves in their
> agony has made the past month of tea even more enjoyable and
> fulfilling.
>
> I also have become a complete convert to gaiwans, and my poor Yixing
> has not seen much use for over a month. I'm sure I will eventually work
> back into it but I have seen the light and realized what I've been
> missing. I was pretty stuck in my ways and really didn't give the
> gaiwan much respect, until I began brewing and drinking directly from
> it. The other crazy thing is some teas I previously enjoyed I do not
> like so much in the more intimate setting of the gaiwan, and when I
> analyzed things more closely I found that the tea really has not been
> that great in comparison to some others. (some of my most expensive
> green kukicha is off my list forever) I have also found I am enjoying
> other teas that I previously did not.
>
> Sorry for such a "simple" post but it has had a profound effect on my
> enjoyment of tea and I owe thanks to this group for making me break out
> of some well-worn ruts, as well as highly recommend trying both or
> either if you have not.
>
> - Dominic
> Drinking: Numi Assam (in a clear glass mug

I purchased a glass gaiwan, my first, in August. I've been using it for
both greens and oolongs, and I find that it reveals nuances in the teas I
never noticed before. I tend to brew in the gaiwan then strain into a cup
for drinking, because this way I can closely control the steep times. With
some teas 10-15 seconds can make a noticeable difference, and I find that
I'm paying much more attention to how the tea evolves over 3 or 4 short
steeps. I find that many teas, including Darjeelings, seem to have a
tasting sweet spot around 130-140 degrees F, and straining into a separate
cup allows more precise control of brewing vs. tasting temperatures. It is
neat to watch the agony also, something particularly dramatic in glass.

Nice to meet a fellow traveler on this path.

Regards,
Dean
(drinking Keemun in a ceramic mug at work)

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Mydnight, I just got some 2006 TGY at Wing Hop Fung in LA in August, and
> although I've had TGY I thought better, it is not bad. But I think I've
> missed the "hygiene of the tea and additives" news. Is there something I
> should look for, or is all 2006 TGY suspect?

Your August tea is either late spring or the yearly low quality summer
pick. I'd probably opt for the former because summer tea is mostly
used to wholesale to restaurants.

Well, firstly, make sure your leaves aren't neon green on the first
brewing. I first started noticing that the leaves on the inside of my
gaiwan/pot were slightly glowing green when I would brew instead of the
normal green color that I get with the Taiwans that I drink regularily
now. I ain't never seen a tea bush/tree that had such bright green
leaves even after frying. You could say that it was my source or argue
with whatever point that you want, but the guy I get my tea from is a
Anxi native of the Gande area and he's also my pal. He actually
recommended I curb my drinking of TGY to only on certain occasions.
I'm going to listen to him.

As for other teas, Pu'er is the next culprit. Mike can probably vouch
for this, but I have found everything from hair, fingernails, to a
band-aid in some "bing" tea. They don't add anything much to this tea,
that is other than DNA and bodily remnants, but they do use relatively
low quality leaves in some of the lesser known factories. Standards,
you say? It's something that can be avoided with a little palm
greasing.

The report on the HK news that I saw last week basically echos what I
am saying. The hygiene standards in the tea factories are not up to
snuff and they produce a lower quality product because of it. It is
not only about 2006 teas, either.

Anyway, I'm sticking to Taiwan teas and higher grades of pu'er and the
rest for now. I will wait until the autumn pick to pass judgement on
TGY.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> Also, glass. Again, I travelled in the opposite direction to you. I
> started with glass tasting- and aroma-cups, and steadily moved over to
> first pure-zisha, then zisha-with-white-enamel-interiors. The glass
> gives a clean finish, but there's something in the zisha that I won't
> give up. To my own perculiar tastes, the zisha gives a better flavour,
> and the glass gives me a certain... "glassiness" in the tasting that I
> don't enjoy - not an explicit flavour so much as a subtle modification
> of the flavours of the brew, that is. (Again, top marks to you for
> going with that which your tastes prefer. Many people aren't that
> brave, and just go with the majority.)

Hobbs,

I prefer using pots with the teas that are supposed to have a pleasant
odor. My Gao Shans are exclusively brewed in different pots depending
on the oxidation level. I didn't see what it did for pu'er very much,
though. Can you expound on that?

I like the glass because it gives a clean flavor.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Mydnight wrote:

.... a nip here and a tuck there ...

> As for other teas, Pu'er is the next culprit. Mike can probably vouch
> for this, but I have found everything from hair, fingernails, to a
> band-aid in some "bing" tea. They don't add anything much to this tea,
> that is other than DNA and bodily remnants, but they do use relatively
> low quality leaves in some of the lesser known factories. Standards,
> you say? It's something that can be avoided with a little palm
> greasing.
>
> The report on the HK news that I saw last week basically echos what I
> am saying. The hygiene standards in the tea factories are not up to
> snuff and they produce a lower quality product because of it. It is
> not only about 2006 teas, either.
>
> Anyway, I'm sticking to Taiwan teas and higher grades of pu'er and the
> rest for now. I will wait until the autumn pick to pass judgement on
> TGY.

OK, the band-aid comment made me a bit ill... hell to think others were
just worried about a few bugs. That's pretty damn rough.

I had mentioned this a while back in reference to rice crops, since I
have close friends in Korea that grow rice, and the things you hear are
stomach turning. I think almost all food prep in Asia/U.S./wherever to
some extent will have this effect since we like to think of things
being relatively clean and safe... it rarely is though. BUT I will say
I have seen and heard more about Chinese products that is downright
unsafe, illegal, and just plain wrong.

I will also say that I have seen some very un-natural shades of green
in some japanese/chinese green teas that I know for certain were fresh
and clean... and TGY also can have this look about it too even
legitimately.

It's sad but radiation, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and other
"genetic modifications" are most likely here to stay due to our greed
and lack of outcry... it is unfortunately a fact of life anymore. It is
also why I do not like to claim anything about tea and health benefits,
because I'm sure there is much more harm than good anymore in each
leaf.

"Life, no one has survived it yet." - me

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

> OK, the band-aid comment made me a bit ill... hell to think others were
> just worried about a few bugs. That's pretty damn rough.

Hair is common and fingernails can often be seen as well. I've been
promised that the band-aid was simply an accident by the vendor...as if
they would purposely put one in a bing?

> I had mentioned this a while back in reference to rice crops, since I
> have close friends in Korea that grow rice, and the things you hear are
> stomach turning. I think almost all food prep in Asia/U.S./wherever to
> some extent will have this effect since we like to think of things
> being relatively clean and safe... it rarely is though. BUT I will say
> I have seen and heard more about Chinese products that is downright
> unsafe, illegal, and just plain wrong.

China ain't got anything that even resembles the FDA. The very word
"illegal" is variable here depending on who you know.

> I will also say that I have seen some very un-natural shades of green
> in some japanese/chinese green teas that I know for certain were fresh
> and clean... and TGY also can have this look about it too even
> legitimately.

I tried to convince myself that it was natural for the longest time. I
recently came across some tea from a small shop here in the city that
had the same said bright, neon leaves when brewing. I noticed that the
taste was really sweet and smooth although the leaf quality was
relatively poor. For spring tea, it had retained a great amount of
freshness to the point it made me really suspicious. The price was
also remarkably low that it surprised me. Well, after the 4th or so
brewing, the tea began to have the terrible flavor of low-grade
restaurant, floor-sweeping tea. I inquired about this sudden change,
and the shopkeep, lacking good excuses, played the "stupid foreigner"
card and said, "oh, all good tea is like this."

Right.

> It's sad but radiation, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and other
> "genetic modifications" are most likely here to stay due to our greed
> and lack of outcry... it is unfortunately a fact of life anymore. It is
> also why I do not like to claim anything about tea and health benefits,
> because I'm sure there is much more harm than good anymore in each
> leaf.

I am more concerned with the added dyes and flavoring than any
modification. Most of the pesticides could be washed away with the
first wash of the tea, I hope and pray.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
DPM DPM is offline

"Mydnight" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> > Mydnight, I just got some 2006 TGY at Wing Hop Fung in LA in August, and
> > although I've had TGY I thought better, it is not bad. But I think I've
> > missed the "hygiene of the tea and additives" news. Is there something

> > should look for, or is all 2006 TGY suspect?

> Your August tea is either late spring or the yearly low quality summer
> pick. I'd probably opt for the former because summer tea is mostly
> used to wholesale to restaurants.
>
> Well, firstly, make sure your leaves aren't neon green on the first
> brewing. I first started noticing that the leaves on the inside of my
> gaiwan/pot were slightly glowing green when I would brew instead of the
> normal green color that I get with the Taiwans that I drink regularily
> now. I ain't never seen a tea bush/tree that had such bright green
> leaves even after frying. You could say that it was my source or argue
> with whatever point that you want, but the guy I get my tea from is a
> Anxi native of the Gande area and he's also my pal. He actually
> recommended I curb my drinking of TGY to only on certain occasions.
> I'm going to listen to him.
>
> Anyway, I'm sticking to Taiwan teas and higher grades of pu'er and the
> rest for now. I will wait until the autumn pick to pass judgement on
> TGY.

I brewed up a gaiwan-load of my (jade) TGY and took a close look. The color
of the leaf, dry and wet, appear normal. Infusion color seems typical: pale
yellow-green.. Odor and flavor seem typical, although there's a woody note
that seems a bit unusual. But otherwise this appears to be a middling TGY.
This was not cheap, BTW - US$150/kilo.

So, assuming that the tea is not adulterated, should I worry about
pesticides?

Thanks,
Dean

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I think in general export tea from China has less adulteration than
domestic consumption because of import standards. I've been drinking
commercial and estate teas from all over the world for decades. I've
never seen ANY case of something that would make me throw anything
away. I think most adulteration is coming from transport and not the
field. That could apply to any food item. I worked in a canning
factory during the summer months at college. You could tell from the
screams when a snake came down the shutes and disappeared in the
shreaders and cutters with the produce on the way to cooking. Tea is
an agricultural product. Always boil water for brewing. The only
thing that gives me pause for tea from China is the pollution which is
why I basically stay with tea from Yunnan. Historically puer was
considered am export tea because the Chinese thought it was 'dirty'.
It's only recently they consider it a national treasure.

Jim

Dominic T. wrote:
> OK, the band-aid comment made me a bit ill... hell to think others were
> just worried about a few bugs. That's pretty damn rough.
>
> I had mentioned this a while back in reference to rice crops, since I
> have close friends in Korea that grow rice, and the things you hear are
> stomach turning. I think almost all food prep in Asia/U.S./wherever to
> some extent will have this effect since we like to think of things
> being relatively clean and safe... it rarely is though. BUT I will say
> I have seen and heard more about Chinese products that is downright
> unsafe, illegal, and just plain wrong.
>
> I will also say that I have seen some very un-natural shades of green
> in some japanese/chinese green teas that I know for certain were fresh
> and clean... and TGY also can have this look about it too even
> legitimately.
>
> It's sad but radiation, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and other
> "genetic modifications" are most likely here to stay due to our greed
> and lack of outcry... it is unfortunately a fact of life anymore. It is
> also why I do not like to claim anything about tea and health benefits,
> because I'm sure there is much more harm than good anymore in each
> leaf.
>
> "Life, no one has survived it yet." - me
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Mydnight wrote:
> China ain't got anything that even resembles the FDA. The very word
> "illegal" is variable here depending on who you know.

I meant illegal in the human sense, not against any particular agency
or law. Some things are just wrong and immoral even if you have low
standards and morals. Firsthand I have seen a laundry list's worth of
offenses that would qualify.

> I am more concerned with the added dyes and flavoring than any
> modification. Most of the pesticides could be washed away with the
> first wash of the tea, I hope and pray.

I would be a little more concerned than that. Any organic product (no
matter how it is handled or raised) is still subject to the
environment. Take for instance Iraq's current Okra crops, they are so
high in radiation that cancer is on the increase by over thousands of
percentages... and that is fact not politics or any agenda on my part,
I promise you I have none. Japan and China are not far off and it is
scary what tests out of some crops. Tea plants are no different and are
like a sponge, and then we brew and rebrew them to get every last drop
out of them... that first rinse may help and boiling water may also in
subsequent brews, but the core contents still remain to some extent.

- Dominic
Drinking: Xiaguan Pu-Erh

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have always been a stickler for pure white coating/enamel/porcelain
> for any of my teacups or mugs so that I can see the exact hue and the
> leaves as they should be. But I recently switched over to clear glass
> cups/mugs/gaiwans and I don't think there is any chance of turning
> back. Being able to fully appreciate the colors and the leaves in their
> agony has made the past month of tea even more enjoyable and
> fulfilling.

Heh - welcome to the [glass] group. I think I'm addicted to glass although I
still enjoy my Chatsford.

--
~~Bluesea~~

I just dropped one of my Anchor Hocking glass bowls w/glass lids onthe floor John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 2 05-02-2016 05:21 PM
Glass Cookware on Smooth Glass Ceramic Cooktops Dee Dovey Cooking Equipment 1 18-10-2009 05:11 PM
Glass Cookware on Smooth Glass Ceramic Cooktops Alan Edwards[_2_] Cooking Equipment 0 17-10-2009 12:14 PM
Gaiwans have won Dominic T. Tea 13 28-04-2009 12:37 AM
Need two gaiwans, can anyone help? Dominic T. Tea 12 14-09-2006 09:57 AM