Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default White Tuna (Escolar)

Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.

Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
fish.

Here's an article I found that's pretty interesting:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman wrote on 24 Apr 2006 07:44:49 -0700:

NL> The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and
NL> flavorful, I'm really sorry that I won't be tasting it
NL> again.

NL> Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems
NL> with this fish.

I agree with you entirely! I believe the cause of the runs is
the very high oil content. I envy those who *can* eat the stuff
but *Never Again* !

For interest, what was the fish called on the menu? In my case
it was "white tuna" but that is quite often albacore tuna not
escolar.

James Silverton
Potomac Maryland.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Norman Leonski" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
> labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
> the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
> Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.
>
> The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
> really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.
>
> Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
> fish.
>
> Here's an article I found that's pretty interesting:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm

I guess you now know why you won't see this fish in sushi restaurants in
Japan.
It's illegal to serve it.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:
> Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
> labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
> the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
> Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I am fortunate enough to be able to digest
this fish.

> The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
> really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.
>
> Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
> fish.

I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

> "Norman Leonski" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
>>labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
>>the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
>>Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.
>>
>>The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
>>really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.
>>
>>Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
>>fish.
>>
>>Here's an article I found that's pretty interesting:
>>

> http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm
>

> I guess you now know why you won't see this fish in sushi restaurants in
> Japan.
> It's illegal to serve it.

Why would it be illegal to serve something that might give you stomache
distress, but legal to serve something that could kill you (fugu).

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
>
> > "Norman Leonski" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> >>Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
> >>labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
> >>the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
> >>Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.
> >>
> >>The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
> >>really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.
> >>
> >>Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
> >>fish.
> >>
> >>Here's an article I found that's pretty interesting:

http://www.health.gov.au/internet/wc...m-cdi2603i.htm

> > I guess you now know why you won't see this fish in sushi restaurants in
> > Japan.
> > It's illegal to serve it.

> Why would it be illegal to serve something that might give you stomache
> distress, but legal to serve something that could kill you (fugu).

Probably because Fugu has been served for so long a time, and the
preparation methods
as well as the method of qualifying the preparer have been established to
the extent that nobody dies
from eating fugu in a fugu restaurant. Even the entrails can not be thrown
out with regular garbage,
by law they must be kept in a metal locked box which is specially disposed.
The figures you see of of annual deaths from eating fugu are invariable the
reult of people preparing them
at home without proper training.
In contrast, escolar is a southern pacific pelagic fish which which never
had a historic role in the Japanese
seafood diet and only came about as a by-catch from long range tuna fishery.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"I had two pieces of what was labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm"

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Norman Leonski wrote:
> > Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
> > labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
> > the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
> > Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

> Wow, sorry to hear that. I am fortunate enough to be able to digest
> this fish.
>
> > The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
> > really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.
> >
> > Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
> > fish.

> I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.
>
> --
> Dan

How many pieces would you guess you ate at one sitting?
I have never had a bad reaction but my personal record
is only 3 pieces as a taste test.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Norman Leonski" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> "I had two pieces of what was labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm"

I suppose I should start recommending White Tuna as
a cure for constipation.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher wrote:

> I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.
>
> --
> Dan

Aren't you just the lucky one! I loved the taste! The next time I need
to be cleaned out real good, I'll go have some.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Norman Leonski wrote:
>>
>>>Well, I've now been introduced to escolar. I had two pieces of what was
>>>labeled as "White Tuna" at about 7 pm and by 10 pm that evening to 5 am
>>>the following morning, I lived in the small room next to my bedroom.
>>>Good God! I won't be doing THAT again.

>>Wow, sorry to hear that. I am fortunate enough to be able to digest
>>this fish.
>>

>>>The fish itself was delicious. It was so tender and flavorful, I'm
>>>really sorry that I won't be tasting it again.
>>>
>>>Good luck to those who have a resistance to the problems with this
>>>fish.

>>I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

> How many pieces would you guess you ate at one sitting?
> I have never had a bad reaction but my personal record
> is only 3 pieces as a taste test.

I had two very large cuts of sashimi which were 3"x2"x.5" slabs.
I think I also had a few nigiri of it as well. Probably about 6oz
at least.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Norman Leonski wrote:

> Dan Logcher wrote:
>

>>I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.
>>

> Aren't you just the lucky one! I loved the taste! The next time I need
> to be cleaned out real good, I'll go have some.

My wife and son too. He only gets 1 piece of nigiri. My wife and I usually
have 1-2 nigiri for the most part. Occasionally I have more. I love the taste
and texture. Too bad it causes such a problem.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:

> >>Wow, sorry to hear that. I am fortunate enough to be able to digest
> >>this fish.

> >>I've eaten quite a bit in one sitting with no ill effects.

> > How many pieces would you guess you ate at one sitting?
> > I have never had a bad reaction but my personal record
> > is only 3 pieces as a taste test.

> I had two very large cuts of sashimi which were 3"x2"x.5" slabs.
> I think I also had a few nigiri of it as well. Probably about 6oz
> at least.

That sounds like alot. It's strange how one or two pieces can affect one
person
but several pieces has no affect on another.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Musashi wrote:

>>>How many pieces would you guess you ate at one sitting?
>>>I have never had a bad reaction but my personal record
>>>is only 3 pieces as a taste test.

>>I had two very large cuts of sashimi which were 3"x2"x.5" slabs.
>>I think I also had a few nigiri of it as well. Probably about 6oz
>>at least.

> That sounds like alot. It's strange how one or two pieces can affect one
> person but several pieces has no affect on another.

Yeah, the itamae was treating me well that day. Thankfully I did not
have any issues. Maybe there's an enzyme I have that some people don't.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:46:45 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Why would it be illegal to serve something that might give you stomache
>distress, but legal to serve something that could kill you (fugu).

It's the same society that treasures Japanese rock gardens,
exquisitely composed food, Geisha and those horrid cartoonish dolls
and anime. Go figure.

------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Cape Cod Bob" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:46:45 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
> >Why would it be illegal to serve something that might give you stomache
> >distress, but legal to serve something that could kill you (fugu).

> It's the same society that treasures Japanese rock gardens,
> exquisitely composed food, Geisha and those horrid cartoonish dolls
> and anime. Go figure.

So..which are you into?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

A couple of years ago I got those symptoms after eating beef pho in a
Vietnamese restaurant. I didn't connect the pho with the problem and I
went back a week or two later and it happened again. I wonder what it
was. Some sort of food poisoning, i guess. I never had that before nor
since.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

You could be mildly allergic to one of the spices. I don't know what is
about some Mexican food but, I can always sense when I shouldn't eat
something. If I do, I get the stomach distress talked about here.
Normally, it is homemade Salsa. I think it may be the Cilantro because that
is the one thing I seem to consistently identify that I don't eat in other
dishes.

With Pho, it could be MSG or any number of other non-standard proteins and
spices not normally encountered in the Western kitchen.

Of course, it could always be bad food too. I had that reaction every time
I ate Asian until a Vietnamese co-worker walked me through a couple of Asian
menu's. Now, I can go to those places and know I will get something yummy
that won't make me sick.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>A couple of years ago I got those symptoms after eating beef pho in a
> Vietnamese restaurant. I didn't connect the pho with the problem and I
> went back a week or two later and it happened again. I wonder what it
> was. Some sort of food poisoning, i guess. I never had that before nor
> since.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I've had Viet. pho a thousand times with no ill effects. It was the
pho joint in Tucson, off Stone. .

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I've had Viet. pho a thousand times with no ill effects. It was the
pho joint in Tucson, off Stone. .

Posted to alt.food.sushi

It just occurred to me that at my favorite (all you can eat) Todai in
Westminster, CA (the best Asian restaurants are always in Asian
neighborhoods) they had a fish labeled "white tuna". I ate loads of
it. Delicious and no problems.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> That could be albacore tuna, and not oilfish/escolar. Was it pinkish white
> and very tender or pure bright white with a firm, but oily texture?
>
> --
> Dan

I think it was pure bright white and firm, Dan.

ww

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Bright white with firm texture, as I recall, Dan.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message

>>>Bright white with firm texture, as I recall, Dan.

>>Yep, that would be super white tuna. The packages of it
>>I've seen are labeled Oilfish.
>>
>>--

> I consider myself pretty much on top of the seafood sections of Japanese
> grocery stores
> and I try to keep an eye on Fish stores in general.
> And only once did I see escolar in a Korean fish store.
> But I have never seen oilfish/escolar/super white tuna in a package. Where
> did you see tihis?

Boston area sushi bars get it frequently, and the chef at one place showed
me the package. He also lists it on the specials board as Super White Tuna (Oilfish).

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>I've also wondered how those huge and very popular AYCE sushi
> places manage to keep all their fish safe - no worms and things
> slipping through.

Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at <4 deg F) or have
been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological hazards.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at <4 deg F) or
have
been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological
hazards.

_____________________-

Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read that the raw herring that
they sell in Amsterdam, Holland has to be deep frozen first, too. That
was years ago. Doesn't seem to affect the taste. What percentage of
raw fish in other sushi restaurants undergoes the freezing process,
anyway? Most of it?

ww

Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at <4 deg F) or
> have
> been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological
> hazards.
>
> _____________________-
>

> Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read that the raw herring that
> they sell in Amsterdam, Holland has to be deep frozen first, too. That
> was years ago. Doesn't seem to affect the taste. What percentage of
> raw fish in other sushi restaurants undergoes the freezing process,
> anyway? Most of it?

Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
Central in New York
started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over there.
I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
> Central in New York
> started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
> In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over
> there. I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

As a high school student, I sold newspapers in Grand Central around 1950.
Me and my buddies would occasionally eat at the Oyster Bar. Their fare was
always great, but we were making 56¢ an hour, so didn't do it often, even
though one of the waiters (Josê) always gave us a break.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>
>>Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at <4 deg F) or
>>have
>>been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological
>>hazards.
>>
>>_____________________-
>>

>>Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read that the raw herring that
>>they sell in Amsterdam, Holland has to be deep frozen first, too. That
>>was years ago. Doesn't seem to affect the taste. What percentage of
>>raw fish in other sushi restaurants undergoes the freezing process,
>>anyway? Most of it?
>>

> Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
> Central in New York
> started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
> In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over there.
> I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

Oh man, I'd be all over that! I loved the raw herring I had in Holland.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]
> > Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
> > Central in New York
> > started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
> > In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over
> > there. I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.
> >

> As a high school student, I sold newspapers in Grand Central around 1950.
> Me and my buddies would occasionally eat at the Oyster Bar. Their fare was
> always great, but we were making 56¢ an hour, so didn't do it often, even
> though one of the waiters (Josê) always gave us a break.

56 cents in 1950 is something like $4.54 in 2005 adjusted dollars.
A pointless observation but thought I'd mention it.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> >
> >>Almost all sushi materials are either frozen (7 days at <4 deg F) or
> >>have
> >>been cooked in some matter . . . both of which deal with biological
> >>hazards.
> >>
> >>_____________________-
> >>

> >>Yeah, I figured that was the case. I read that the raw herring that
> >>they sell in Amsterdam, Holland has to be deep frozen first, too. That
> >>was years ago. Doesn't seem to affect the taste. What percentage of
> >>raw fish in other sushi restaurants undergoes the freezing process,
> >>anyway? Most of it?
> >>

> > Speaking of which, the annual Herring fetival at the Oyster Bar in Grand
> > Central in New York
> > started yesterday, with daily airfreighted herring from Holland.
> > In fact, if I weren't scheduled for sush tonight I'd be heading over

there.
> > I'll bet with restaurant fish all if not most is once frozen.

> Oh man, I'd be all over that! I loved the raw herring I had in Holland.
>
> --
> Dan

Well I'm going to get some of that herring this week for sure.
Oh last night, I had a little talk with the Itamae at a place I don't
usually frequent but
I consider pretty good. He had Super White Tuna in his case, both completely
raw (all pure white)
and Aburi (slightly seared).
We got to talking about it and although he wasn't sure about the legal
status in Japan he admitted that
it's a fish one simply doesn't see in Japan either in the the Sushi places
or even fish markets.
But contrary to what I thought, they are apparently not a southern pacific
fish, as he told me that they
are a tuna fishing by-product caught between northern Kyuushu and South
Korea.
He told me that due to the high fat content he doesn't recommend more than
one or two pieces to his
customers. As expected he said that none of his Japanese customers show any
interest in it but he started
carrying it as his local cusatomers asked him about it.
Despite all this talk, I didn't even get around to trying it as the Chu-Toro
was absolutely superb.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> He told me that due to the high fat content he doesn't recommend more than
> one or two pieces to his customers. As expected he said that none of his
> Japanese customers show any interest in it but he started carrying it as
> his local cusatomers asked him about it.

Probably a good suggestion, unless the customer knows they can ingest more.

> Despite all this talk, I didn't even get around to trying it as the Chu-Toro
> was absolutely superb.

Too bad if you've never tried it. Its quite good, and for the money I think
its a better value.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > He told me that due to the high fat content he doesn't recommend more

than
> > one or two pieces to his customers. As expected he said that none of his
> > Japanese customers show any interest in it but he started carrying it

as
> > his local cusatomers asked him about it.

> Probably a good suggestion, unless the customer knows they can ingest

more.

> > Despite all this talk, I didn't even get around to trying it as the

Chu-Toro
> > was absolutely superb.

> Too bad if you've never tried it. Its quite good, and for the money I

think
> its a better value.
>
> --
> Dan

I have tried it. A couple of years ago.
I just didn't try it last night. I think I should have tried the seared one
since that was new to me.

White Tuna Nanzi[_2_] Sushi 16 09-09-2009 03:17 AM
Have you tried white tuna? James[_1_] Sushi 31 12-12-2008 10:04 PM
White Tuna George Sushi 20 28-06-2005 07:14 PM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 19-03-2005 12:22 AM