Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant ( Video-Clip )

Guide To Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant.
Interesting facts I had no idea about.

http://www.jumpingpixels.com/sushibehavior.html

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"ChoiManHansi" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Guide To Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant.
> Interesting facts I had no idea about.
>
> http://www.jumpingpixels.com/sushibehavior.html

For those who don't get it, this video is a joke.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"ChoiManHansi" > wrote:
> Guide To Correct Sushi Manners, or how to behave in a Sushi Restaurant.
> Interesting facts I had no idea about.
>
> http://www.jumpingpixels.com/sushibehavior.html

Humorous. It's been around for a while. There was a cleaner copy at:

http://www2.newpaltz.edu/~kim401/jap...tion_sushi.mov

but it's apparently gone.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

As soon as I saw the 3.2 inches I know it's a joke. But is any of it
real? specifically the "may I sit here" , "Maa maa maa/O to to to", the
woman pouring for the man. (which at least seemed possible, unlike the
face cloth usage!)

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Tippi" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> As soon as I saw the 3.2 inches I know it's a joke. But is any of it
> real? specifically the "may I sit here" , "Maa maa maa/O to to to", the
> woman pouring for the man. (which at least seemed possible, unlike the
> face cloth usage!)

It is a spoof of commonly seen behavior in a sushiya.
Anyone can say "shitsurei shimasu" (pardon me) when sitting down next to
someone
at a counter, but that's if one swants to be polite, there is certainly no
set protocol.
The maa-maa/ottotto scene is a spoof of stereotypical oyaji behavior.
Each person vying to pay the bill is a common scene among the businessmen
who are
all dining with higher-ups or clients, hence the reimbursement from the
company by
presenting the receipt to be filed as "business entertainment".
There is nohing in this video that is actually any kind of protocol or
proper custom
in a sushiya. It spoofs common sights and stereotypes.
Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Musashi" > wrote in message
om...

> "Tippi" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > As soon as I saw the 3.2 inches I know it's a joke. But is any of it
> > real? specifically the "may I sit here" , "Maa maa maa/O to to to", the
> > woman pouring for the man. (which at least seemed possible, unlike the
> > face cloth usage!)
> >

> It is a spoof of commonly seen behavior in a sushiya.
> Anyone can say "shitsurei shimasu" (pardon me) when sitting down next to
> someone
> at a counter, but that's if one swants to be polite, there is certainly no
> set protocol.
> The maa-maa/ottotto scene is a spoof of stereotypical oyaji behavior.
> Each person vying to pay the bill is a common scene among the businessmen
> who are
> all dining with higher-ups or clients, hence the reimbursement from the
> company by
> presenting the receipt to be filed as "business entertainment".
> There is nohing in this video that is actually any kind of protocol or
> proper custom
> in a sushiya. It spoofs common sights and stereotypes.
> Musashi

PS
BTW it's actually very funny to most Japanese people.
"Zoukin"- a rag used solely for wiping floors, cleaning the house.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote:
> BTW it's actually very funny to most Japanese people.
> "Zoukin"- a rag used solely for wiping floors, cleaning the house.

"Gari - nobody knows what this is made of."

Had me rolling. I'm going to think of that every time I see gari from
now on, and in fact, did so just last night (i'd seen that link in
another newsgroup last week and was waiting to see how long it'd take
to cross-contaminate over here).

Also, what does "tashi" really mean? I've never heard that term, and
wondered if it wasn't a misdirect for the tourists to get them to say
something insulting to the sushi-ya. But if this thing is funny in
Japan that's probably not the joke, so what's it for?

--Blair

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"Blair P. Houghton" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Musashi wrote:
> > BTW it's actually very funny to most Japanese people.
> > "Zoukin"- a rag used solely for wiping floors, cleaning the house.

> "Gari - nobody knows what this is made of."
>
> Had me rolling. I'm going to think of that every time I see gari from
> now on, and in fact, did so just last night (i'd seen that link in
> another newsgroup last week and was waiting to see how long it'd take
> to cross-contaminate over here).
>
> Also, what does "tashi" really mean? I've never heard that term, and
> wondered if it wasn't a misdirect for the tourists to get them to say
> something insulting to the sushi-ya. But if this thing is funny in
> Japan that's probably not the joke, so what's it for?
>
> --Blair

Taisho? That means General or Great Military Leader.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taisho_democracy