Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

Default Ankimo

Steamed up some fresh ankimo, bought it from Japanese Market near
work. I nice large sized liver for $4.93. I think it was almost
a pound.

I rolled it up in plastic wrap, then foil, and poked 5 holes in it.
Steamed for 1 1/2 hours, then set it outside in the cold air to cool
off. I just wish it didn't smell weird when steaming..

I think we'll be having some tonight as an appetizer.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi
Cygnia

Steamed in sake or water?

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

Cygnia wrote:

> Steamed in sake or water?

Marinated in sake for 30 minutes, steamed in water for 1 1/2 hours.

Do you do it differently?

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Cygnia wrote:
>
> > Steamed in sake or water?

> Marinated in sake for 30 minutes, steamed in water for 1 1/2 hours.
>
> Do you do it differently?
>
> --
> Dan

Here's my Ankimo recipe:

1. Peel skin, remove any blood vessels.
2. Soak in cold salt water 2-3 hours, changing water every 30 minutes.
3. Pat dry, marinate in Sake max 10 minutes. (too much here will make the
taste too mellow).
4. Wrap tightly in cheesecloth.
5. Place in steamer with large pieces of sliced ginger and bundled
scallions.
6. Steam using water 45 minutes. Remove and let sit to cool. Remove
cheesecloth
when cooled.

With the above method, there is practically no "weird" smell when steaming.
Ankimo actually is fully steamed in 20-30 minutes and any addditional
steaming
won't get rid of the smell. That is mostly reduced by removing the blood
with salt water
before steaming. This recipe is the result of numerous trial and errors
every winter
all in an effort to match the taste of the Ankimo I get at some of the good
Japanese restaurants.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi
George

Musashi wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Cygnia wrote:
>>

>>>Steamed in sake or water?

>>Marinated in sake for 30 minutes, steamed in water for 1 1/2 hours.
>>
>>Do you do it differently?
>>
>>--
>>Dan

> Here's my Ankimo recipe:
>
> 1. Peel skin, remove any blood vessels.
> 2. Soak in cold salt water 2-3 hours, changing water every 30 minutes.
> 3. Pat dry, marinate in Sake max 10 minutes. (too much here will make the
> taste too mellow).
> 4. Wrap tightly in cheesecloth.
> 5. Place in steamer with large pieces of sliced ginger and bundled
> scallions.
> 6. Steam using water 45 minutes. Remove and let sit to cool. Remove
> cheesecloth
> when cooled.
>
> With the above method, there is practically no "weird" smell when steaming.
> Ankimo actually is fully steamed in 20-30 minutes and any addditional
> steaming
> won't get rid of the smell. That is mostly reduced by removing the blood
> with salt water
> before steaming. This recipe is the result of numerous trial and errors
> every winter
> all in an effort to match the taste of the Ankimo I get at some of the good
> Japanese restaurants.
>
> Musashi

Musashi, thank you for your recipe. Could you please tell us what type &
grade sake you use in your marinate?

--
- George
"... are you going to finish that?"

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Musashi

"George" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:

> >>Marinated in sake for 30 minutes, steamed in water for 1 1/2 hours.
> >>
> >>Do you do it differently?
> >>
> >>--
> >>Dan

> > Here's my Ankimo recipe:
> >
> > 1. Peel skin, remove any blood vessels.
> > 2. Soak in cold salt water 2-3 hours, changing water every 30 minutes.
> > 3. Pat dry, marinate in Sake max 10 minutes. (too much here will make

the
> > taste too mellow).
> > 4. Wrap tightly in cheesecloth.
> > 5. Place in steamer with large pieces of sliced ginger and bundled
> > scallions.
> > 6. Steam using water 45 minutes. Remove and let sit to cool. Remove
> > cheesecloth
> > when cooled.
> >
> > With the above method, there is practically no "weird" smell when

steaming.
> > Ankimo actually is fully steamed in 20-30 minutes and any addditional
> > steaming
> > won't get rid of the smell. That is mostly reduced by removing the blood
> > with salt water
> > before steaming. This recipe is the result of numerous trial and errors
> > every winter
> > all in an effort to match the taste of the Ankimo I get at some of the

good
> > Japanese restaurants.
> >
> > Musashi
> >

> Musashi, thank you for your recipe. Could you please tell us what type &
> grade sake you use in your marinate?

Usually the cheapest in terms of quantity and price. This is something of a
necessity as
we go through an awful lot of sake for cooking.
Ozeki is one of my favorites. I will even use stuff I would not drink,
like Gekkeikan, if it's on sale.
As you know Sake can impart alot of "sweetness" onto the dish so I prefer
to use Karakuchi whenever possible.
There are a couple of Japanese "Cooking Sake" products available but IMHO
they are about as good as these "cooking wines" I see in the local
supermarkets.

Ankimo Page Dan Logcher Sushi 3 13-04-2006 05:39 PM
ankimo Blair P. Houghton Sushi 5 23-01-2006 03:26 PM
Ankimo Scored Dan Logcher Sushi 32 27-01-2005 07:35 PM
Winter is here-Ankimo Musashi Asian Cooking 75 08-12-2004 04:12 PM
Winter is here-Ankimo Musashi Sushi 75 08-12-2004 04:12 PM