Posted to alt.food.sushi
Blair P. Houghton

Default ankimo

Finally got to try ankimo.

In this case, it was prepared as a pate', and served sliced, as a
nigiri.

Not much flavor, really. Probably needed some more stuff in the pate'.
Salt, for instance. Soy sauce wasn't quite right for it. They gave
me a different sauce in a dish, but since I'd also got aji, and there
was no ponzu on it, I thought maybe it was for that...

And as a nigiri it was a little odd; this thick, wide slice of
charcuterie broken over a rice ball. Should probably have been chunked
and served as a gunkan-maki with a very light, white wine.

--Blair

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Eli Renfro

> Not much flavor, really.<

This is odd for ankimo.

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Finally got to try ankimo.
>
> In this case, it was prepared as a pate', and served sliced, as a
> nigiri.
>
> Not much flavor, really. Probably needed some more stuff in the pate'.
> Salt, for instance. Soy sauce wasn't quite right for it. They gave
> me a different sauce in a dish, but since I'd also got aji, and there
> was no ponzu on it, I thought maybe it was for that...
>
> And as a nigiri it was a little odd; this thick, wide slice of
> charcuterie broken over a rice ball. Should probably have been chunked
> and served as a gunkan-maki with a very light, white wine.

It could be early in the season, a less flavorful one perhaps. Or it wasn't
steamed with enough sake. I've made it at home twice, and the first time I
didn't use enough sake and it was less flavorful.

We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced scallions
on top. Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over shredded diakon
in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf. I had this on Monday,
a nice freebie from the secondary sushi chef (the boss's day off

I have definately had ankimo with less to no flavor, it is usually at the early
beginning or late end of the season, or it has been frozen or poorly prepared.
Try it again, I bet it will taste differently.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi
George

Dan Logcher wrote:
> Blair P. Houghton wrote:
>
>> Finally got to try ankimo.
>>
>> In this case, it was prepared as a pate', and served sliced, as a
>> nigiri.
>>
>> Not much flavor, really. Probably needed some more stuff in the pate'.
>> Salt, for instance. Soy sauce wasn't quite right for it. They gave
>> me a different sauce in a dish, but since I'd also got aji, and there
>> was no ponzu on it, I thought maybe it was for that...
>>
>> And as a nigiri it was a little odd; this thick, wide slice of
>> charcuterie broken over a rice ball. Should probably have been chunked
>> and served as a gunkan-maki with a very light, white wine.

> It could be early in the season, a less flavorful one perhaps. Or it
> wasn't
> steamed with enough sake. I've made it at home twice, and the first time I
> didn't use enough sake and it was less flavorful.
>
> We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced
> scallions
> on top.

Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over
> shredded diakon
> in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf.

Only had it once at the itamae's suggestion after ordering some uni - it
was served exactly as you described above. Three slices about the size
of a 50 cent piece cut 1/2" thick.

I had this on
> Monday,
> a nice freebie from the secondary sushi chef (the boss's day off
>
> I have definately had ankimo with less to no flavor, it is usually at
> the early
> beginning or late end of the season, or it has been frozen or poorly
> prepared.
> Try it again, I bet it will taste differently.

--
- George
"... are you going to finish that?"
Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

George wrote:

> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>> We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced
>> scallions on top.
>>
>> Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over shredded diakon
>> in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf.

> Only had it once at the itamae's suggestion after ordering some uni - it
> was served exactly as you described above. Three slices about the size
> of a 50 cent piece cut 1/2" thick.

Only 3 slices? I hope it was a freebie. When I've had ankimo as an appetizer,
its about 5-6 sliced for about $6. The other day it was free for me, as the
secondary itamae know how much I love ankimo. When we have it as sushi, its about
1 1/2 slices per gunkan for $3.50.

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi
George

Dan Logcher wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> Dan Logcher wrote:
>>
>>> We get have it served as gunkan maki with a dash of ponzu and minced
>>> scallions on top.
>>> Usually ankimo appetizer is served sliced in a bowl over shredded diakon
>>> in ponzu sauce with minced scallions and a shiso leaf.

>> Only had it once at the itamae's suggestion after ordering some uni -
>> it was served exactly as you described above. Three slices about the
>> size of a 50 cent piece cut 1/2" thick.

> Only 3 slices? I hope it was a freebie. When I've had ankimo as an
> appetizer,
> its about 5-6 sliced for about $6. The other day it was free for me, as
> the
> secondary itamae know how much I love ankimo. When we have it as sushi,
> its about
> 1 1/2 slices per gunkan for $3.50.

I really don't know what the price for a normal serving would have been
or even if we were charged for the portion we got, and since it was the
first time, we had nothing to compare its quality with. First time for
shiso, too - love to try new things. I only know that we were both sorry
to see it gone and savored each morsel as it disappeared.

I know when I go in, my wallet will be flatter coming out and if I'm not
satisfied, I probably won't go back. Hasn't happened yet.

--
- George
"... are you going to finish that?"

Ankimo Page Dan Logcher Sushi 3 13-04-2006 05:39 PM
Ankimo Dan Logcher Sushi 5 23-01-2006 07:35 PM
Ankimo Scored Dan Logcher Sushi 32 27-01-2005 08:35 PM
Winter is here-Ankimo Musashi Asian Cooking 75 08-12-2004 05:12 PM
Winter is here-Ankimo Musashi Sushi 75 08-12-2004 05:12 PM