Posted to alt.food.sushi
-Lost

Default GOOD Buffet Sushi?

Is there such a thing? I know the general concensus of sushi prepared at a
buffet-style restaraunt, but surely a decent one exists.

Anyone have any such experiences? Names and locations would be great.

My contribution... "Asian Buffet" in Radcliff, Kentucky.

Anytime after four in the afternoon they prepare fresh (and chilled) nigiri
sushi and a varied assortment of rolls (classical American mostly, but
good). Also, they churn out fresh items like clockwork. My only complaint
is that when they are a little slower, I am usually the one who has to take
the plunge and get the slightly less moist fish or slightly dried rice that
encompasses some of the rolls to be able to see any new product be prepared.
However, tell them it looks crappy and they'll be happy to make you fresh
sushi on the spot.

-Lost

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Dan Logcher

-Lost wrote:

> Is there such a thing? I know the general concensus of sushi prepared at a
> buffet-style restaraunt, but surely a decent one exists.

Good and buffet don't usually go together for sushi.. I've found once place
that is ok.. good might be pushing it. http://www.minado.com has robotic
sushi, the rice is rolled into balls by robots and the workers put pieces
of fish on top to make nigiri. Its ok.. if I feel the need to pigout I'd
go there.. but luckily its far enough away that I would rather have quality
over quantity.

They will make handrolls to order..

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi
Ken Blake

-Lost wrote:

> Is there such a thing? I know the general concensus of sushi
> prepared at a buffet-style restaraunt, but surely a decent one exists.

Since buffet sushi is usually served at a relatively low price, and since
food on a buffet can sit around for a while (and that's not good for sushi),
I would never expect buffet sushi to be top-notch.

On the other hand, it can sometimes be at least acceptable, and it can often
be a decent value.

> Anyone have any such experiences? Names and locations would be great.

Since participants here are spread out around the world, names and locations
aren't usually helpful to others.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> My contribution... "Asian Buffet" in Radcliff, Kentucky.
>
> Anytime after four in the afternoon they prepare fresh (and chilled)
> nigiri sushi and a varied assortment of rolls (classical American
> mostly, but good). Also, they churn out fresh items like clockwork.
> My only complaint is that when they are a little slower, I am usually
> the one who has to take the plunge and get the slightly less moist
> fish or slightly dried rice that encompasses some of the rolls to be
> able to see any new product be prepared. However, tell them it looks
> crappy and they'll be happy to make you fresh sushi on the spot.
>
> -Lost

Posted to alt.food.sushi
James Silverton

Ken wrote on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:25:58 -0700:

??>> Is there such a thing? I know the general concensus of
??>> sushi prepared at a buffet-style restaraunt, but surely a
??>> decent one exists.

KB> Since buffet sushi is usually served at a relatively low
KB> price, and since food on a buffet can sit around for a
KB> while (and that's not good for sushi), I would never expect
KB> buffet sushi to be top-notch.

??>> My contribution... "Asian Buffet" in Radcliff, Kentucky.
??>>
??>> Anytime after four in the afternoon they prepare fresh
??>> (and chilled) nigiri sushi and a varied assortment of

I agree that "excellent" (or even "good") and "buffet" sushi are
usually a contradiction in terms but conveyer belt and boat
sushi can be quite acceptable. The Matuba restaurant in Bethesda
is a case in point tho' for really *interesting* sushi their bar
is much better. The only sushi buffet that I would recommend
around here is that of the Hinode in the Congressional shopping
center in Rockville. The place is very popular and the high
turnover seems to result in decent quality.

A number of Chinese buffets also serve sushi but, even if the
chef is quite skilled, the quality of the raw materials seems
so-so.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland..

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Ken Blake

James Silverton wrote:

> Ken wrote on Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:25:58 -0700:
>
>>> Is there such a thing? I know the general concensus of
>>> sushi prepared at a buffet-style restaraunt, but surely a
>>> decent one exists.

>> Since buffet sushi is usually served at a relatively low
>> price, and since food on a buffet can sit around for a
>> while (and that's not good for sushi), I would never expect
>> buffet sushi to be top-notch.

> I agree that "excellent" (or even "good") and "buffet" sushi are
> usually a contradiction in terms but conveyer belt and boat
> sushi can be quite acceptable.

Sure. No argument from me. In fact I said much the same thing in my next
sentence, which you snipped: "On the other hand, it can sometimes be at
least acceptable, and it can often be a decent value."

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> The Matuba restaurant in Bethesda
> is a case in point tho' for really *interesting* sushi their bar
> is much better. The only sushi buffet that I would recommend
> around here is that of the Hinode in the Congressional shopping
> center in Rockville. The place is very popular and the high
> turnover seems to result in decent quality.
>
> A number of Chinese buffets also serve sushi but, even if the
> chef is quite skilled, the quality of the raw materials seems
> so-so.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland..

Posted to alt.food.sushi
Geoff

-Lost wrote:
> Is there such a thing? I know the general concensus of sushi prepared at a
> buffet-style restaraunt, but surely a decent one exists.

The term "Sushi buffet" reminds me of a great book title I recall from
my younger days: "Military Justice is to Justice as Military Music is to
Music." ... as buffet sushi is to sushi, Especially if the words "all
you can eat" or "half price" are anywhere nearby.
Posted to alt.food.sushi
Tippi

Here in Toronto there are many "all you can order and eat" sushi, so
you get the pigging-out of Buffet style dining without having sushi
that's been sitting around. Usually the choices are severely limited
though, especially for nigiri.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I was impressed with the quality at the new Huntington Beach, CA Todai
(not to be confused with the old and fake "HB Todai" a mile or two
south - whatever that's all about!). Perhaps they were on their best
behavior being new, plus being in a heavily Asian-populated region...

ww

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I wuz just at a giant sushi buffet by San Diego, CA, a Todai clone,
Onami. very popular, crowded. OK, I'll be honest - the fish isn't
prime quality (OK, it kinda sucked!) - but here's my question: People
never seem to get sick from their raw fish, even from eating huge
quantities of it - and their chefs certainly don't appear to be highly
certified from Japan - in fact they seem to be Mexican. So how do they
keep their raw fish safe, parasite-free?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I wuz just at a giant sushi buffet by San Diego, CA, a Todai clone,
Onami. very popular, crowded. OK, I'll be honest - the fish isn't
prime quality (OK, it kinda sucked!) - but here's my question: People
never seem to get sick from their raw fish, even from eating huge
quantities of it - and their chefs certainly don't appear to be highly
certified from Japan - in fact they seem to be Mexican. So how do they

keep the enormous quantity of raw fish that they serve safe,
parasite-free?

Posted to alt.food.sushi
James

Few years ago I went to similar ones in Richmond, BC. Excellent cheap
eats.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Oscar Garcia wrote:
> Todai here in Houston is fabulous. Although I do try to get there when it
> first opens for the day. It opens @ 11:30am and I've made the mistake of
> going @ 3pm for a late lunch. By that time it is slim pickens and not the
> fresh anymore. -Oscar

I'm a Todai fan too, and I've heard that the Houston place is one of
their best. I haven't been to that one yet though. I was just in
California again and I was at my favorite Todai, in Westminster in
Orange County. A couple of days later I stopped by one of the Todai
offshoots, a big Onami in San Diego. I didn't like the Onami at all. -
in fact my stomach hasn't felt that great since I was there. There are
also Todai offshoots scattered around California calling themselves
Todai-somethingorother, and it's not particularly easy telling them
from the real thing. I find all the Todai offshoots much inferior.
- ww

Posted to alt.food.sushi

The Wasabi Restaurant Jacksonville, Florida is one of the best I've
been to. The sushi rice is well balanced with the generous amount of
good quality neta placed on it. Additional sashimi is always available
on ice and they always have ten types of nigiri available as well as
about 15-20 types of rolls, both traditional and inside out as well as
both large and small.

A teppanyaki grill is available as well as about 20 hot dishes and
soups.

The clientele is about half oriental. To me, that's a very good sign of
quality in an oriental restaurant.

The price is $20 US for the buffet and includes a choice of two items
from the teppanyaki grill with grilled vegetables.

The full teppanyaki meals are all about $20 US as well. Their grilled
scallops are to kill for! The best I've ever eaten. Seriously.

This is not top quality sushi but is great for an inexpensive sushi
fix. I go there about once a month.

Wasabi Japanese Buffet
9041 Southside Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32256
(904) 363-9888

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Hello, John!
You wrote on 19 Dec 2006 08:04:35 -0800:

JD> A teppanyaki grill is available as well as about 20 hot
JD> dishes and soups.

JD> The clientele is about half oriental. To me, that's a very
JD> good sign of quality in an oriental restaurant.

JD> The price is $20 US for the buffet and includes a choice of
JD> two items from the teppanyaki grill with grilled
JD> vegetables.

JD> The full teppanyaki meals are all about $20 US as well.
JD> Their grilled scallops are to kill for! The best I've ever
JD> eaten. Seriously.

JD> This is not top quality sushi but is great for an
JD> inexpensive sushi fix. I go there about once a month.

The Hinode restaurant in Congressional Plaza, Rockville, MD has
a lunch time buffet that is not at all bad and I seem to recall
bills of less than $20, including a beer and tip. The nigiri are
perhaps a little smaller than in non-buffets but the quality is
good and they include a quite decent buffet counter for Japanese
cooked foods, including tempura. The only problem I have is the
standard buffet problem: eating far too much :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.sushi

James Silverton wrote:

> The Hinode restaurant in Congressional Plaza, Rockville, MD has
> a lunch time buffet that is not at all bad and I seem to recall
> bills of less than $20, including a beer and tip. The nigiri are
> perhaps a little smaller than in non-buffets but the quality is
> good and they include a quite decent buffet counter for Japanese
> cooked foods, including tempura. The only problem I have is the
> standard buffet problem: eating far too much :-)

I hear you James! That's why I only go once a month.

The next time I'm up there to visit my brother and sister, I'll have a
meal there.

Thanks for the information.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I am a total Sushi nut and Toronto has some of the best choices for
sushi in Canada. There is a great place on Yonge St just north of St
Clair called Takara sushi that has a sushi buffet for like $11 that you
just can't beat.

I put together a list of a few Japanese restaurants that I like in
Toronto that might be of interest.

--
Monty Jones

Sushi Buffet Salad ? Bob Sisson Sushi 0 10-09-2006 09:09 PM
How to find a good buffet? [email protected] Restaurants 2 23-06-2005 01:24 PM
Looking for Good Sea Food Buffet style Rest. Near Norfolk Va ChrisGW Restaurants 0 20-04-2004 08:00 PM
AYCE or buffet sushi in Dallas area - recommendations? Brenda Sushi 5 09-02-2004 05:26 AM