LittleGreyPoodle

Default Las Vegas Nobu

A recent business trip took me to Las Vegas and the company I work for
put us into the Hard Rock Hotel. I basically hated the hotel on a whole,
but did take the opportunity to try out Nobu one night.

Loved it!

Set myself a budget and only went over-budget by about 20%. Had my first
Kobe beef. Very thinly sliced, lightly grilled, and seasoned with olive
oil and some sort of herb; I'd have preferred to taste just the meat.
This was what they called "new style"; the "traditional" (I think that's
what they called it) sounded just a bit too rare for my taste. The oil
was a bit much, but the meat just absolutely melted in my mouth. They
offered it by the ounce, with a 2 ounce minimum. I probably should have
gone with only 2 ounces; I ordered 4 ounces, and it was really enough
for two people.

Also had some really good tuna sashimi and some salmon egg nigiri. The
tuna was virtually grainless and was a deep red color. Served very cold
and delicious. I ordered two orders of the tuna, and that was supposed
to be two pieces per order--but I found an extra piece hidden under the
other 4. ;-)

I then turned myself over to the chef and asked him to recommend
something. He served up some razor thin slices of halibut with a drop of
chili sauce on them and a sour vinegar sauce drizzed over them. Very
interesting. Not sure I'd order it myself, but it was a nice change of pace.

I then put myself into the chef's hands again, and this time, he
prepared some pike nigiri, with some sort of paper thin seaweed draped
over the top. A bit "fishy" in taste, it was a nice topper to the meal.

Went to bed happy for first time in ages. Damn shame I can't afford to
eat like that every day!

Anyone else want to share their Nobu experiences?

Thanks,

Les
Keith

I'm heading to LV in November... sounds like I should try this place
out. Any others to recommend in Vegas?

Sounds good! I went to a Nobu in California once, but I thought that
one was a ripoff joint. Are they connected?

ww

LittleGreyPoodle

Keith wrote:
> I'm heading to LV in November... sounds like I should try this place
> out. Any others to recommend in Vegas?

I haven't lived in Vegas now for about a year and a half. There seems to
be sushi place on every corner now. All the hotels seem to have a sushi
restaurant in the hotel or nearby.

For many years, the best place in town was either Hamada on East
Flamingo or Osaka on West Sahara, both well away from the Strip. A
favorite of my friends and I is a little neighborhood place called
Narita at Tenaya and Cheyenne (about 20 miles from the Strip).

Some of my friends rave about the "all you can eat sushi buffets", but
quite frankly, there's a reason they can offer all you can eat for a
given price--the stuff just isn't any good.

When you arrive, ask around. I'm sure you'll get lots of recommendations.

Roman Lewis

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 21:47:03 -0700, LittleGreyPoodle
> wrote:

>A recent business trip took me to Las Vegas and the company I work for
>put us into the Hard Rock Hotel. I basically hated the hotel on a whole,
>but did take the opportunity to try out Nobu one night.
>
>Loved it!
>
>Set myself a budget and only went over-budget by about 20%. Had my first
>Kobe beef. Very thinly sliced, lightly grilled, and seasoned with olive
>oil and some sort of herb; I'd have preferred to taste just the meat.
>This was what they called "new style"; the "traditional" (I think that's
>what they called it) sounded just a bit too rare for my taste. The oil
>was a bit much, but the meat just absolutely melted in my mouth. They
>offered it by the ounce, with a 2 ounce minimum. I probably should have
>gone with only 2 ounces; I ordered 4 ounces, and it was really enough
>for two people.
>
>Also had some really good tuna sashimi and some salmon egg nigiri. The
>tuna was virtually grainless and was a deep red color. Served very cold
>and delicious. I ordered two orders of the tuna, and that was supposed
>to be two pieces per order--but I found an extra piece hidden under the
>other 4. ;-)
>
>I then turned myself over to the chef and asked him to recommend
>something. He served up some razor thin slices of halibut with a drop of
>chili sauce on them and a sour vinegar sauce drizzed over them. Very
>interesting. Not sure I'd order it myself, but it was a nice change of pace.
>
>I then put myself into the chef's hands again, and this time, he
>prepared some pike nigiri, with some sort of paper thin seaweed draped
>over the top. A bit "fishy" in taste, it was a nice topper to the meal.
>
>Went to bed happy for first time in ages. Damn shame I can't afford to
>eat like that every day!
>
>Anyone else want to share their Nobu experiences?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Les

Les, you have succeeded in making me very homesick for my home state
of Nevada and also very hungry! God! That sounds so good!

I worked in a small mining town named Gabbs. I was born in Hawthorne.
The next time I get out there, I'll try the same meal.
Blair P. Houghton

LittleGreyPoodle > wrote:
>A recent business trip took me to Las Vegas and the company I work for
>put us into the Hard Rock Hotel. I basically hated the hotel on a whole,
>but did take the opportunity to try out Nobu one night.
>
>Loved it!
>
>Set myself a budget and only went over-budget by about 20%. Had my first
>Kobe beef. Very thinly sliced, lightly grilled, and seasoned with olive
>oil and some sort of herb; I'd have preferred to taste just the meat.
>This was what they called "new style"; the "traditional" (I think that's
>what they called it) sounded just a bit too rare for my taste. The oil
>was a bit much, but the meat just absolutely melted in my mouth. They
>offered it by the ounce, with a 2 ounce minimum. I probably should have
>gone with only 2 ounces; I ordered 4 ounces, and it was really enough
>for two people.

Kobe beef shouldn't need oiling; its value is that it's
fattier than normal beef and the fat is well distributed
in it. I don't think Nobu's getting the good stuff.

You get the same silliness over at FIX in the Bellagio
on their Kobe beef sliders. Grinding Kobe beef is no
different from grinding normal beef and adding a little
fat to it.

>Also had some really good tuna sashimi and some salmon egg nigiri. The
>tuna was virtually grainless and was a deep red color. Served very cold
>and delicious. I ordered two orders of the tuna, and that was supposed
>to be two pieces per order--but I found an extra piece hidden under the
>other 4. ;-)

Sushi chefs know what markets best.

>I then turned myself over to the chef and asked him to recommend
>something. He served up some razor thin slices of halibut with a drop of
>chili sauce on them and a sour vinegar sauce drizzed over them. Very
>interesting. Not sure I'd order it myself, but it was a nice change of pace.
>
>I then put myself into the chef's hands again, and this time, he
>prepared some pike nigiri, with some sort of paper thin seaweed draped
>over the top. A bit "fishy" in taste, it was a nice topper to the meal.
>
>Went to bed happy for first time in ages. Damn shame I can't afford to
>eat like that every day!
>
>Anyone else want to share their Nobu experiences?

Mine wasn't quite as pleasant as yours, as I recall.
Nobu wasn't terrible, but it wasn't up to the hype.
The post is way back in the a.f.s archives somewhere...

--Blair
"Now I want to go to Vegas."
D. Lutjen

"LittleGreyPoodle" > wrote in message

> The tuna was virtually grainless and was a deep red color.

Depends on tuna's anatomy . . . part of the tuna will have some grain
(toward the tail, too much) and other parts, no grain.

Nobu Now Bargain Ian Asian Cooking 1 01-03-2010 11:16 AM
Nobu London: Bluefin offerings James Silverton[_4_] Sushi 1 21-06-2009 04:07 PM
Nobu London: Bluefin offerings Gerry[_3_] Sushi 0 19-06-2009 03:58 PM
Sushi in San Diego - any GREAT restaurants like Nobu? rufus Sushi 1 12-10-2006 07:50 AM
TN: Lafon Macon at Nobu DaleW Wine 5 19-08-2006 08:25 PM