Jacek Mietliński

Default JAFO - but willing to learn

Hello everybody,

Though it`s rather hard to get a sushi-fresh fish in polish marketplaces,
when you get to know guys from the fish stand, they can recommend sometimes
a fresh delivery of tuna, salmon or butterfish, which are most common.

Of course it`s not a big problem to get high quality fish, but it`s priced
enormously higher than in any place in US or anywhere else. Poland has a
connection to the sea, but ocean fish have to be transported in a proper
way, so it costs you.

Sushi is very popular in Poland, in Warsaw there is like 30-40 of fine sushi
places plus some number of bars run by polish guys who prepare more
"economic" sushi, mostly rolls, much cheaper than in pro places, but with
much less variety.

With a little help from my friends, I`ve got two fine original japan
one-sided knifes, original stone, so ready to roll, but since low
availability of main ingredients, I stay with california rolls since crab
sticks are easiest to get...

Anyhow, that`s not the point... I`ve tried several times to cut a nice piece
of salmon for zushi or sashimi, but failed with a problem of removing long
bones from the netting. Even having fine tweezers the flesh became so soft
from my touching it to find a bone that it looked like, you know...

So, having a nice piece of a fillet, how not to screw it and prepare for
fine cutting? BTW - should the skin be removed before I get into bones or
after?

Thanks guys,

jm