FoodBanter.com

-   Sushi (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/)
-   -   White Tuna (https://www.foodbanter.com/sushi/62934-white-tuna.html)

George 16-06-2005 03:39 PM

White Tuna

The wife took me out for the second time this month to our nearest,
hence favorite, Sushi Bar last Sunday. This time, we had only ice water
and the bill ran $45, not to be too mercenary.

First, we ordered the miso soup which we both love. They had a special
board off of which we ordered two different options of maki. Each were
excellent and had some new twists. Neither had nori. The first, which I
never was exactly sure how it was spelled - something like Katsio, had
tobiko on the outside of the rice, tuna & avocado inside with wasabi,
smoked eel on top with spicy mayo. The second was just called Fancy Maki
which included spicy tuna inside the rice, some green onion and bonita
flakes on the top of the sesame covered rice. I might be wrong on which
was which.

Not finished yet, we ordered tako (cooked) nigiri and a spider roll. The
tako we've had before and it was good, but cooked (missed the little
asterisk on the sheet) didn't do it for my raw fix. The spider roll I
had to have in honor of my grandmother whose favorite at the Jersey
shore in the summer was a soft-shelled crab roll. Very tasty indeed, but
now that I've had it, I'll wait to have it outside a sushi venue.

Remembering that I had seen "Mixed Japanese Pickles" on the appetizer
list, we ordered some of them. The only thing I think I correctly
identified was the diakon radish which was yellow and slightly sweet.
Then there was a green, salty pickle that looked like regular gherkin
sized pickle chips. Finally, a red pickle that appeared to be possibly
some type of cabbage, had a light vinegary flavor. They were easy to
eat, but I guess I expected more and will try something different next time.

Finally, not sure what to get next, but wanting something, I asked about
the uni. This visit they were out. I asked if when they bought it, they
ever had it from Maine. My itamae said that it came from Boston, which
likely had gotten it from Maine. I asked about toro which was listed as
seasonal and they had none. I was given an explanation, but I could not
quite understand what was said and didn't want to embarrass myself or
him by asking twice. So he suggested white tuna nigiri style. It was
very light in flavor and completed our luncheon date.

My question is whether "white tuna" is traditional Japanese and what
would it be called if it is? I searched a bit on the web where it was
only referred to as white tuna.

Sorry for being so wordy, just trying to relive the pleasure ;-)
George
--
The First Nation people call him "Walking Eagle" because he's so full of
shit he can't fly anymore.

Musashi 16-06-2005 04:02 PM

"George" > wrote in message
> The wife took me out for the second time this month to our nearest,
> hence favorite, Sushi Bar last Sunday. This time, we had only ice water
> and the bill ran $45, not to be too mercenary.
>
> First, we ordered the miso soup which we both love. They had a special
> board off of which we ordered two different options of maki. Each were
> excellent and had some new twists. Neither had nori. The first, which I
> never was exactly sure how it was spelled - something like Katsio, had
> tobiko on the outside of the rice, tuna & avocado inside with wasabi,
> smoked eel on top with spicy mayo. The second was just called Fancy Maki
> which included spicy tuna inside the rice, some green onion and bonita
> flakes on the top of the sesame covered rice. I might be wrong on which
> was which.

Those are both rolls "Made in the USA". Traditional Japanese Maki always
have
the nori wrapped on the outside. But if it tastes good, nothing wrong with
it.

> Not finished yet, we ordered tako (cooked) nigiri and a spider roll. The
> tako we've had before and it was good, but cooked (missed the little
> asterisk on the sheet) didn't do it for my raw fix.

Tako is always used cooked for sushi. In a few places in Japan, as well as
really upper-end
Japanese Restaurants in the US you can sometimes get Tako Sashimi which is
raw.
As you can imagine, it's nothing like the cooked version.

> The spider roll I
> had to have in honor of my grandmother whose favorite at the Jersey
> shore in the summer was a soft-shelled crab roll. Very tasty indeed, but
> now that I've had it, I'll wait to have it outside a sushi venue.

The softe shelled crabs started appearing here in the New York City suburbs
about 2 weeks ago.
I have eaten 5 crabs already. :)

> Remembering that I had seen "Mixed Japanese Pickles" on the appetizer
> list, we ordered some of them. The only thing I think I correctly
> identified was the diakon radish which was yellow and slightly sweet.

This is called Takuan.

> Then there was a green, salty pickle that looked like regular gherkin
> sized pickle chips.

Probably green Shibazuke. Pickled cucumbers, also comes in red shiso color.

> Finally, a red pickle that appeared to be possibly
> some type of cabbage, had a light vinegary flavor.

Can't place this one.

> They were easy to
> eat, but I guess I expected more and will try something different next

time.

> Finally, not sure what to get next, but wanting something, I asked about
> the uni. This visit they were out. I asked if when they bought it, they
> ever had it from Maine. My itamae said that it came from Boston, which
> likely had gotten it from Maine. I asked about toro which was listed as
> seasonal and they had none. I was given an explanation, but I could not
> quite understand what was said and didn't want to embarrass myself or
> him by asking twice. So he suggested white tuna nigiri style. It was
> very light in flavor and completed our luncheon date.
>
> My question is whether "white tuna" is traditional Japanese and what
> would it be called if it is? I searched a bit on the web where it was
> only referred to as white tuna.
>
> Sorry for being so wordy, just trying to relive the pleasure ;-)
> George

The White Tuna issue has been discussed here several times.
The term "White Tuna" is sometimes used as a litteral translation of "Shiro
Maguro" also known as Binchou Maguro
or Bin naga Maguro. This is Albacore, a member of the tuna family with
white-ish meat mostly known in the US as
chicken of the sea. Although it may be called "white tuna" it has a pinkish
tone.
But there is another fish which is also called "White Tuna" and the meat is
really really white.
This fish is called Escolar in the US and has been known to produce
digestion problems if eaten in any large quantity.
I myself have eaten it a couple of times and never had a problem. But others
have. Due to complaints about this,
many non-sushi restaurants in New York City stopped serving this fish (in
cooked form) according to a NY Times article.
My local itamae told me that this Escolar, known as Abura Bouzu in Japan is
not permitted by law to be served as sushi
neta because of this problem. So the answer is no. it is not a traditional
sushi neta at all.

Musashi

Dan Logcher 16-06-2005 04:04 PM

George wrote:
> My question is whether "white tuna" is traditional Japanese and what
> would it be called if it is? I searched a bit on the web where it was
> only referred to as white tuna.

It is albacore tuna, and called bincho maguro or shiro maguro.
It is very tender, a pinkish color, and rich flavor. I do not think
it is a traditional item, but it is becoming available all over.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher 16-06-2005 04:18 PM

Musashi wrote:
> The White Tuna issue has been discussed here several times.
> The term "White Tuna" is sometimes used as a litteral translation of "Shiro
> Maguro" also known as Binchou Maguro
> or Bin naga Maguro. This is Albacore, a member of the tuna family with
> white-ish meat mostly known in the US as
> chicken of the sea. Although it may be called "white tuna" it has a pinkish
> tone.
> But there is another fish which is also called "White Tuna" and the meat is
> really really white.
> This fish is called Escolar in the US and has been known to produce
> digestion problems if eaten in any large quantity.
> I myself have eaten it a couple of times and never had a problem. But others
> have. Due to complaints about this,
> many non-sushi restaurants in New York City stopped serving this fish (in
> cooked form) according to a NY Times article.
> My local itamae told me that this Escolar, known as Abura Bouzu in Japan is
> not permitted by law to be served as sushi
> neta because of this problem. So the answer is no. it is not a traditional
> sushi neta at all.

Pretty much all the places I've seen Escolar, they call it Super White Tuna.
And Albacore is called White Tuna. Only one place I know in my area has
Escolar labeled at mutzu and says its marlin. I had a long discussion about
this with the itamae, and he agrees that the labeling is an issue. The package
that it comes in is labeled Oilfish, not Escolar or Marlin. So I don't know
why things differ so much..

--
Dan

Musashi 16-06-2005 04:28 PM

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > The White Tuna issue has been discussed here several times.
> > The term "White Tuna" is sometimes used as a litteral translation of

"Shiro
> > Maguro" also known as Binchou Maguro
> > or Bin naga Maguro. This is Albacore, a member of the tuna family with
> > white-ish meat mostly known in the US as
> > chicken of the sea. Although it may be called "white tuna" it has a

pinkish
> > tone.
> > But there is another fish which is also called "White Tuna" and the meat

is
> > really really white.
> > This fish is called Escolar in the US and has been known to produce
> > digestion problems if eaten in any large quantity.
> > I myself have eaten it a couple of times and never had a problem. But

others
> > have. Due to complaints about this,
> > many non-sushi restaurants in New York City stopped serving this fish

(in
> > cooked form) according to a NY Times article.
> > My local itamae told me that this Escolar, known as Abura Bouzu in Japan

is
> > not permitted by law to be served as sushi
> > neta because of this problem. So the answer is no. it is not a

traditional
> > sushi neta at all.

> Pretty much all the places I've seen Escolar, they call it Super White

Tuna.
> And Albacore is called White Tuna.

You are right. I always look at the neta with my own eyes to determine what
it is
so I never realized that.

> Only one place I know in my area has
> Escolar labeled at mutzu and says its marlin. I had a long discussion

about
> this with the itamae, and he agrees that the labeling is an issue. The

package
> that it comes in is labeled Oilfish, not Escolar or Marlin. So I don't

know
> why things differ so much..

Yes, labeling of fish is usually quite complex and confusing even in one
country.
Then if you add another country, which has it's own labeling problems into
the mix
you end up with the mess we have now.
I have problems translating Esoclar to Mutsu...but Marlin (kajiki) is off
the meter.

Musashi 16-06-2005 04:31 PM

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> George wrote:
> > My question is whether "white tuna" is traditional Japanese and what
> > would it be called if it is? I searched a bit on the web where it was
> > only referred to as white tuna.

> It is albacore tuna, and called bincho maguro or shiro maguro.
> It is very tender, a pinkish color, and rich flavor. I do not think
> it is a traditional item, but it is becoming available all over.

You're right Dan, Binchou Maguro is not a traditional item.
In Japan it's usually a by-product of fishing for Katsuo, which has
a high demand.
Most Albacore (and I think maybe even Kihada Maguro-Yellowfin Tuna)
are taken by the tuna "canning" industry.

Dan Logcher 16-06-2005 04:43 PM

Musashi wrote:

> I have problems translating Esoclar to Mutsu...but Marlin (kajiki) is off
> the meter.

The first time I had escolar, it was called mutzu. There was no English
translation then.. so this is the second time I've seen it call mutzu,
but the translation isn't even close for marlin. I think they might
be calling it marlin to interest customers. If you called it Oilfish
they might not be as interested.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher 16-06-2005 04:44 PM

Musashi wrote:
> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>It is albacore tuna, and called bincho maguro or shiro maguro.
>>It is very tender, a pinkish color, and rich flavor. I do not think
>>it is a traditional item, but it is becoming available all over.

> You're right Dan, Binchou Maguro is not a traditional item.
> In Japan it's usually a by-product of fishing for Katsuo, which has
> a high demand.

That's something I haven't had yet this year, Katsuo. I need to check
around and see who's got it.

> Most Albacore (and I think maybe even Kihada Maguro-Yellowfin Tuna)
> are taken by the tuna "canning" industry.

Oh the humanity!!!

--
Dan

Musashi 16-06-2005 04:50 PM

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> >
> > I have problems translating Esoclar to Mutsu...but Marlin (kajiki) is

off
> > the meter.

> The first time I had escolar, it was called mutzu. There was no English
> translation then.. so this is the second time I've seen it call mutzu,
> but the translation isn't even close for marlin. I think they might
> be calling it marlin to interest customers. If you called it Oilfish
> they might not be as interested.

Agree "Oilfish"doesn't sound too appetizing.

George 16-06-2005 05:10 PM

Dan Logcher wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> My question is whether "white tuna" is traditional Japanese and what
>> would it be called if it is? I searched a bit on the web where it was
>> only referred to as white tuna.

> It is albacore tuna, and called bincho maguro or shiro maguro.
> It is very tender, a pinkish color, and rich flavor. I do not think
> it is a traditional item, but it is becoming available all over.

I will have to ask my itamae when I get a chance and he's not so busy,
but the "white tuna" I was served was absolutely white with no pinkness
to it. My wife commented that it was almost too bland as she likes it a
bit stronger in flavor.

Thank you both, Dan & Musashi, for your help. I knew I had read the
issue on Oilfish before, but couldn't recall the details and appreciated
your indulgences in my repeat question.

Dan Logcher 16-06-2005 05:23 PM

George wrote:
> Dan Logcher wrote:
>
>> George wrote:
>>
>>> My question is whether "white tuna" is traditional Japanese and what
>>> would it be called if it is? I searched a bit on the web where it was
>>> only referred to as white tuna.

>> It is albacore tuna, and called bincho maguro or shiro maguro.
>> It is very tender, a pinkish color, and rich flavor. I do not think
>> it is a traditional item, but it is becoming available all over.
>>

> I will have to ask my itamae when I get a chance and he's not so busy,
> but the "white tuna" I was served was absolutely white with no pinkness
> to it. My wife commented that it was almost too bland as she likes it a
> bit stronger in flavor.

Was it firm texture or soft? If it was firm, oilfish. If it was soft,
ablacore.

> Thank you both, Dan & Musashi, for your help. I knew I had read the
> issue on Oilfish before, but couldn't recall the details and appreciated
> your indulgences in my repeat question.

Hey, no problem.

--
Dan

George 16-06-2005 05:35 PM

Dan Logcher wrote:
> George wrote:
>
>> Dan Logcher wrote:

>>> It is albacore tuna, and called bincho maguro or shiro maguro.
>>> It is very tender, a pinkish color, and rich flavor. I do not think
>>> it is a traditional item, but it is becoming available all over.
>>>

>> I will have to ask my itamae when I get a chance and he's not so busy,
>> but the "white tuna" I was served was absolutely white with no
>> pinkness to it. My wife commented that it was almost too bland as she
>> likes it a bit stronger in flavor.

> Was it firm texture or soft? If it was firm, oilfish. If it was soft,
> ablacore.
>
>> Thank you both, Dan & Musashi, for your help. I knew I had read the
>> issue on Oilfish before, but couldn't recall the details and
>> appreciated your indulgences in my repeat question.

> Hey, no problem.

Thank you.

As we both recall, it was a bit difficult to bite right through as if it
had a bit of sinew in it. Otherwise, I would think that it was soft. But
that's a tough call as most fish, to me is soft as opposed to clams
which I consider firm to chewy. I'll get to the bottom of this next time
I'm there.

Dan Logcher 16-06-2005 08:53 PM

George wrote:

> As we both recall, it was a bit difficult to bite right through as if it
> had a bit of sinew in it. Otherwise, I would think that it was soft. But
> that's a tough call as most fish, to me is soft as opposed to clams
> which I consider firm to chewy. I'll get to the bottom of this next time
> I'm there.

Ok, then I would compare escolar to yellowtail in texture.
Albacore is just too soft to compare to any other fish that
I can think of..

Sushi neta that I consider firm are things like maguro, hamachi, aji,
and super white tuna (oilfish/escolar). It's a meaty texture..

--
Dan

George 18-06-2005 02:03 PM

Dan Logcher wrote:
> George wrote:
>

>> As we both recall, it was a bit difficult to bite right through as if
>> it had a bit of sinew in it. Otherwise, I would think that it was
>> soft. But that's a tough call as most fish, to me is soft as opposed
>> to clams which I consider firm to chewy. I'll get to the bottom of
>> this next time I'm there.

> Ok, then I would compare escolar to yellowtail in texture.
> Albacore is just too soft to compare to any other fish that
> I can think of..
>
> Sushi neta that I consider firm are things like maguro, hamachi, aji,
> and super white tuna (oilfish/escolar). It's a meaty texture..

With those comparisons in mind, I guess it must have been Albacore.

Geoff 19-06-2005 06:39 AM

Musashi wrote:
> The softe shelled crabs started appearing here in the New York City suburbs
> about 2 weeks ago.
> I have eaten 5 crabs already. :)

I had them at Katsu-ya in Studio City (L.A.) on May 4th (no coincidence
intended) - so where did they come from?

Geoff 19-06-2005 06:50 AM

Dan Logcher wrote:
> Musashi wrote:
>

>> I have problems translating Esoclar to Mutsu...but Marlin (kajiki) is off
>> the meter.

> The first time I had escolar, it was called mutzu. There was no English
> translation then.. so this is the second time I've seen it call mutzu,
> but the translation isn't even close for marlin. I think they might
> be calling it marlin to interest customers. If you called it Oilfish
> they might not be as interested.

Shiromaguro, as we see it in our area (Pasadena, CA) is usually called
"albacore" and often seared on the outside to keep it together when
slicing, etc.

Agree that the suggested kinship between marlin (kajiki) and mutsu is
bizarre.

Mutsu, seemingly far from Escolar or Albacore, often seems to be
identified in Japanese sources with the "Scombrops" Genus and similar fish:

Mutsu
*ツ

Gnomefish, Japanese bluefish
Scombrops boops

Kuromutsu
ク**ツ
黒鯥
Scombrops gilbert

Akamutsu
アカ*ツ
赤鯥
Blackthroat seaperch
Doederleinia berycoides

Hachijō¬akamutsu
ハチジョウアカ*ツ
八丈赤鯥
Ruby snapper
Etelis carbunculus

Musashi 19-06-2005 01:16 PM

"Geoff" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Dan Logcher wrote:
> > Musashi wrote:
> >

> >> I have problems translating Esoclar to Mutsu...but Marlin (kajiki) is

off
> >> the meter.

> > The first time I had escolar, it was called mutzu. There was no English
> > translation then.. so this is the second time I've seen it call mutzu,
> > but the translation isn't even close for marlin. I think they might
> > be calling it marlin to interest customers. If you called it Oilfish
> > they might not be as interested.
> >

> Shiromaguro, as we see it in our area (Pasadena, CA) is usually called
> "albacore" and often seared on the outside to keep it together when
> slicing, etc.
>
> Agree that the suggested kinship between marlin (kajiki) and mutsu is
> bizarre.
>
> Mutsu, seemingly far from Escolar or Albacore, often seems to be
> identified in Japanese sources with the "Scombrops" Genus and similar

fish:

> Mutsu
> $B%`%D(B
> ?
> Gnomefish, Japanese bluefish
> Scombrops boops
>
> Kuromutsu
> $B%/%m%`%D(B
> $B9u(B?
> Scombrops gilbert
>
> Akamutsu
> $B%"%+%`%D(B
> $B@V(B?
> Blackthroat seaperch
> Doederleinia berycoides
>
> Hachij?$B"L(Bakamutsu
> $B%O%A%8%g%&%"%+%`%D(B
> $BH,>f@V(B?
> Ruby snapper
> Etelis carbunculu

The use of the term "mutsu" particularly for offshore fish often not caught
in Japanese waters
is something to watch out for.
For example, the Patagonian Toothfish is sold in Japan as Gin Mutsu $B6d(B?$B!!(Ba
name which misleads
the Japanese consumer into thinking that it is a traditional Japanese fish.
Most likely the name was
created because of the similarity to a fish already well known Gin Dara $B6dC-(B
$B!!!J(BBlack Cod, Sablefish,
Butterfish-in Hawaii). In the United States the Patagonian Toothfish is sold
under the equally and
completely misleading name of "Chilean Sea Bass" despite being related to
the Cod family rather
than the Bass family.

Musashi 19-06-2005 04:41 PM

"Geoff" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Musashi wrote:
> > The softe shelled crabs started appearing here in the New York City

suburbs
> > about 2 weeks ago.
> > I have eaten 5 crabs already. :)

> I had them at Katsu-ya in Studio City (L.A.) on May 4th (no coincidence
> intended) - so where did they come from?

If they were frozen, they can be had year round.
But I buy only the live ones, and at least here on the East Coast they are
mostly
from the Chesapeake Bay area.

James Silverton 20-06-2005 01:44 AM

Musashi wrote on Sun, 19 Jun 2005 12:16:39 GMT:

You all may remember the discussion about "white tuna" which
turns out to be escolar or oil-fish. The fraction of the
populace that gets the runs after eating even a small amount is
about 50% and that's why it is banned in Japan and highly
discouraged in Britain or the US. It is a pity because it is
delicious but even the small amount I tried showed that I am in
the unlucky 50%!

James Silverton.

Nan Zitney 28-06-2005 06:45 PM

"Musashi" > wrote in message
.. .

> [...]

> pinkish
> tone.
> But there is another fish which is also called "White Tuna" and the meat
> is
> really really white.
> This fish is called Escolar in the US and has been known to produce
> digestion problems if eaten in any large quantity.
> I myself have eaten it a couple of times and never had a problem. But
> others
> have. Due to complaints about this,
> many non-sushi restaurants in New York City stopped serving this fish (in
> cooked form) according to a NY Times article.
> My local itamae told me that this Escolar, known as Abura Bouzu in Japan
> is
> not permitted by law to be served as sushi
> neta because of this problem. So the answer is no. it is not a traditional

Very in teresting that 'shiro' in this contest, sushi, seems to be
translated 'white', however in the coloration of Koi, a shiro utsuri, is a
......never mind, I just remembered that utsuri are black fish with....shiro,
white on it,...ki, yellow, and hi, red, on it. That's me, had it backwards.
so what else is new???

Wish I could find some lobster roll and catapillar roll, like we had in San
Diego, here in Delaware. Fat chance, but we do have a 2nd sushi place in
town now, that's a good thing.
Nanzi

Musashi 28-06-2005 07:14 PM

"Nan Zitney" > wrote in message

> [...]

> > others
> > have. Due to complaints about this,
> > many non-sushi restaurants in New York City stopped serving this fish

(in
> > cooked form) according to a NY Times article.
> > My local itamae told me that this Escolar, known as Abura Bouzu in Japan
> > is
> > not permitted by law to be served as sushi
> > neta because of this problem. So the answer is no. it is not a

traditional
> > sushi neta at all.
> >
> > Musashi
> >

> Very in teresting that 'shiro' in this contest, sushi, seems to be
> translated 'white', however in the coloration of Koi, a shiro utsuri, is a
> .....never mind, I just remembered that utsuri are black fish

with....shiro,
> white on it,...ki, yellow, and hi, red, on it. That's me, had it

I don't think there is anything wrong with your understanding.
Shiro is "white" as in the color.
"Shiro Utsuri" is a somewhat poetic term meaning "White blend"
or in English structure..Blended with White.
Nishikogoi (what you call Koi") that are called Shiro Utsuri are a mix of
white and other colors.