Questions

Default First time try of Uni

I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.

Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:
> I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
> really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
> and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>
> Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

Hard to say.. Are you sure the sharp wasn't wasabi? The itamae may
have put a big under the uni. It should taste smooth yet firm, creamy,
and sweet, with a slight ocean briney flavor.

Don't be discouraged. Keep trying it from time to time, you may acquire
the taste for it. Always ask the itamae if its fresh today before ordering
it.

--
Dan
Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:
> I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
> really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
> and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>
> Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

Hard to say.. Are you sure the sharp wasn't wasabi? The itamae may
have put a big under the uni. It should taste smooth yet firm, creamy,
and sweet, with a slight ocean briney flavor.

Don't be discouraged. Keep trying it from time to time, you may acquire
the taste for it. Always ask the itamae if its fresh today before ordering
it.

--
Dan
maureeng7eh

Greetings from Western Canada..

I am new to your group but thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's comments and
suggestions. Even though I am a novice at Japanese food/cooking I have
tried out a few things and was very pleased.

My question though, in regards to asking the itamae if certain items were
'fresh today'......wouldn't he be insulted?

Also, because I am new to this cuisine, when i went to a sushi bar, should i
tell someone I am new and have them suggest items for me?

Thank you for your replies and also for remembering what it felt like when
you first started eating sushi/cooking Japanese.

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Questions wrote:
> > I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
> > really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
> > and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
> >
> > Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

> Hard to say.. Are you sure the sharp wasn't wasabi? The itamae may
> have put a big under the uni. It should taste smooth yet firm, creamy,
> and sweet, with a slight ocean briney flavor.
>
> Don't be discouraged. Keep trying it from time to time, you may acquire
> the taste for it. Always ask the itamae if its fresh today before

ordering
> it.
>
> --
> Dan

maureeng7eh

Greetings from Western Canada..

I am new to your group but thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's comments and
suggestions. Even though I am a novice at Japanese food/cooking I have
tried out a few things and was very pleased.

My question though, in regards to asking the itamae if certain items were
'fresh today'......wouldn't he be insulted?

Also, because I am new to this cuisine, when i went to a sushi bar, should i
tell someone I am new and have them suggest items for me?

Thank you for your replies and also for remembering what it felt like when
you first started eating sushi/cooking Japanese.

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Questions wrote:
> > I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
> > really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
> > and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
> >
> > Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

> Hard to say.. Are you sure the sharp wasn't wasabi? The itamae may
> have put a big under the uni. It should taste smooth yet firm, creamy,
> and sweet, with a slight ocean briney flavor.
>
> Don't be discouraged. Keep trying it from time to time, you may acquire
> the taste for it. Always ask the itamae if its fresh today before

ordering
> it.
>
> --
> Dan

Dan Logcher

maureeng7eh wrote:
> Greetings from Western Canada..
>
> I am new to your group but thoroughly enjoy reading everyone's comments and
> suggestions. Even though I am a novice at Japanese food/cooking I have
> tried out a few things and was very pleased.
>
> My question though, in regards to asking the itamae if certain items were
> 'fresh today'......wouldn't he be insulted?

I would ask what is good today.. meaning what just came in or what the
chef would think is best. As for uni, I always ask if the uni is fresh.
If it isn't, the chef should tell me.. and I won't order it. If he says
yes and its not fresh, I'll be ****ed.

> Also, because I am new to this cuisine, when i went to a sushi bar, should i
> tell someone I am new and have them suggest items for me?

Sure, let the chef start you out with some basics and see how you do.

> Thank you for your replies and also for remembering what it felt like when
> you first started eating sushi/cooking Japanese.

Even though my first sushi eating wasn't the best, it was still
memerable.

--
Dan
Questions

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:12:30 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>> I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
>> really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
>> and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>>
>> Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

>Hard to say.. Are you sure the sharp wasn't wasabi? The itamae may
>have put a big under the uni.

I'm sure it wasn't wasabi. I use almost no wasabi and would recognize
the flavor immediately.

> It should taste smooth yet firm, creamy,
>and sweet, with a slight ocean briney flavor.

As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
flavor. As it was the first time I've ever tried Uni, I'm not sure if
what I was tasting was natural to the product or not. I know everyone
can't like every taste and perhaps I'm one that just doesn't care for
Uni. Damn! After hearing everyone on this group talk about it, I was
sorely disappointed.

The three items I had that were excellent were the Eel, the Tuna and
the Salmon roe. Man, I am hooked on the flavor of the braised eel with
the dark sauce on it. While chewing one piece, I wished I had ten
more!

This place is called "Fusion Point" and is located in St. Augustine,
Florida. I had 14 pieces of sushi and a container of Sake with the
bill being 38 dollars before the tip.

>Don't be discouraged. Keep trying it from time to time, you may acquire
>the taste for it. Always ask the itamae if its fresh today before ordering
>it.

Questions

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:12:30 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>> I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
>> really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
>> and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>>
>> Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

>Hard to say.. Are you sure the sharp wasn't wasabi? The itamae may
>have put a big under the uni.

I'm sure it wasn't wasabi. I use almost no wasabi and would recognize
the flavor immediately.

> It should taste smooth yet firm, creamy,
>and sweet, with a slight ocean briney flavor.

As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
flavor. As it was the first time I've ever tried Uni, I'm not sure if
what I was tasting was natural to the product or not. I know everyone
can't like every taste and perhaps I'm one that just doesn't care for
Uni. Damn! After hearing everyone on this group talk about it, I was
sorely disappointed.

The three items I had that were excellent were the Eel, the Tuna and
the Salmon roe. Man, I am hooked on the flavor of the braised eel with
the dark sauce on it. While chewing one piece, I wished I had ten
more!

This place is called "Fusion Point" and is located in St. Augustine,
Florida. I had 14 pieces of sushi and a container of Sake with the
bill being 38 dollars before the tip.

>Don't be discouraged. Keep trying it from time to time, you may acquire
>the taste for it. Always ask the itamae if its fresh today before ordering
>it.

D. Lutjen

"Questions" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:12:30 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:

> As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
> a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
> sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
> tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
> flavor.

After scooping out the uni and before packing, it is rinsed/soaked in boric
acid (aka douche or something similar). Helps remove crud + firms up the
product.

D. Lutjen

"Questions" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:12:30 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:

> As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
> a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
> sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
> tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
> flavor.

After scooping out the uni and before packing, it is rinsed/soaked in boric
acid (aka douche or something similar). Helps remove crud + firms up the
product.

Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:

> As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
> a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
> sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
> tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
> flavor. As it was the first time I've ever tried Uni, I'm not sure if
> what I was tasting was natural to the product or not. I know everyone
> can't like every taste and perhaps I'm one that just doesn't care for
> Uni. Damn! After hearing everyone on this group talk about it, I was
> sorely disappointed.

Again, don't be discouraged. It can be an acquired taste. I wasn't all
that into it for the first year I ate sushi. I stopped eating it and
came back a few years later and it grew on me.

Its possible the uni you had was treated with a chemical to extend
shelf life. Was it a tinny flavor?

--
Dan
Questions

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>>
>> As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
>> a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
>> sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
>> tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
>> flavor. As it was the first time I've ever tried Uni, I'm not sure if
>> what I was tasting was natural to the product or not. I know everyone
>> can't like every taste and perhaps I'm one that just doesn't care for
>> Uni. Damn! After hearing everyone on this group talk about it, I was
>> sorely disappointed.

>Again, don't be discouraged. It can be an acquired taste. I wasn't all
>that into it for the first year I ate sushi. I stopped eating it and
>came back a few years later and it grew on me.
>
>Its possible the uni you had was treated with a chemical to extend
>shelf life. Was it a tinny flavor?

Yes, it was. Man, I thought by eating sushi I was getting away from
the chemicals.

Questions

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>>
>> As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
>> a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
>> sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
>> tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
>> flavor. As it was the first time I've ever tried Uni, I'm not sure if
>> what I was tasting was natural to the product or not. I know everyone
>> can't like every taste and perhaps I'm one that just doesn't care for
>> Uni. Damn! After hearing everyone on this group talk about it, I was
>> sorely disappointed.

>Again, don't be discouraged. It can be an acquired taste. I wasn't all
>that into it for the first year I ate sushi. I stopped eating it and
>came back a few years later and it grew on me.
>
>Its possible the uni you had was treated with a chemical to extend
>shelf life. Was it a tinny flavor?

Yes, it was. Man, I thought by eating sushi I was getting away from
the chemicals.

Dan Logcher

Questions wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>

>>Questions wrote:
>>
>>>As close as I can explain it, the taste was at first pleasant. It had
>>>a firm, creamy and slightly "fishy" flavor but was not sweet in any
>>>sense of the word. After touching the taste buds on the rear of my
>>>tongue, the taste changed to an unpleasantly strong, sharp earthly
>>>flavor. As it was the first time I've ever tried Uni, I'm not sure if
>>>what I was tasting was natural to the product or not. I know everyone
>>>can't like every taste and perhaps I'm one that just doesn't care for
>>>Uni. Damn! After hearing everyone on this group talk about it, I was
>>>sorely disappointed.

>>Again, don't be discouraged. It can be an acquired taste. I wasn't all
>>that into it for the first year I ate sushi. I stopped eating it and
>>came back a few years later and it grew on me.
>>
>>Its possible the uni you had was treated with a chemical to extend
>>shelf life. Was it a tinny flavor?

> Yes, it was. Man, I thought by eating sushi I was getting away from
> the chemicals.

Ya never know where in the supply chain they add it, but for uni it is
probably during processing. I bought some cryovac tuna from the super
market a while back, threw them in the freezer and forgot `em. I took
one out not long ago to give it a try and noted its the CO treated
tuna steaks from Southeast Asia.

--
Dan
Nona

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:07:02 -0400, Questions > wrote:

>I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
>really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
>and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>
>Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

The uni I've tried never had any unpleasant sharp taste you mentioned.
It should taste slightly sweet and melt in your mouth. Ask your
itamae what his impressions are - that is if your itamae is
knoweleageable. Like many things it may be that batch only. I'm not
a big beef eater although I like it, but once in a while I get beef
that has very unpleasant taste to me and cannot eat it. Same goes
goes for many items even vegetables and fruits.

Nona

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:07:02 -0400, Questions > wrote:

>I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
>really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
>and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>
>Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

The uni I've tried never had any unpleasant sharp taste you mentioned.
It should taste slightly sweet and melt in your mouth. Ask your
itamae what his impressions are - that is if your itamae is
knoweleageable. Like many things it may be that batch only. I'm not
a big beef eater although I like it, but once in a while I get beef
that has very unpleasant taste to me and cannot eat it. Same goes
goes for many items even vegetables and fruits.

Questions

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:25:52 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0400, Dan Logcher
>> > wrote:

>>>Again, don't be discouraged. It can be an acquired taste. I wasn't all
>>>that into it for the first year I ate sushi. I stopped eating it and
>>>came back a few years later and it grew on me.
>>>
>>>Its possible the uni you had was treated with a chemical to extend
>>>shelf life. Was it a tinny flavor?

>> Yes, it was. Man, I thought by eating sushi I was getting away from
>> the chemicals.

>Ya never know where in the supply chain they add it, but for uni it is
>probably during processing. I bought some cryovac tuna from the super
>market a while back, threw them in the freezer and forgot `em. I took
>one out not long ago to give it a try and noted its the CO treated
>tuna steaks from Southeast Asia.

I guess I'll try it at another place before I draw any conclusions.
There seems to be no way to get away from additives.
Questions

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:25:52 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>Questions wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0400, Dan Logcher
>> > wrote:

>>>Again, don't be discouraged. It can be an acquired taste. I wasn't all
>>>that into it for the first year I ate sushi. I stopped eating it and
>>>came back a few years later and it grew on me.
>>>
>>>Its possible the uni you had was treated with a chemical to extend
>>>shelf life. Was it a tinny flavor?

>> Yes, it was. Man, I thought by eating sushi I was getting away from
>> the chemicals.

>Ya never know where in the supply chain they add it, but for uni it is
>probably during processing. I bought some cryovac tuna from the super
>market a while back, threw them in the freezer and forgot `em. I took
>one out not long ago to give it a try and noted its the CO treated
>tuna steaks from Southeast Asia.

I guess I'll try it at another place before I draw any conclusions.
There seems to be no way to get away from additives.
Questions

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:55:19 GMT, Nona >
wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:07:02 -0400, Questions > wrote:
>
>>I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
>>really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
>>and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>>
>>Did I perhaps have some that was too old?
>>

>The uni I've tried never had any unpleasant sharp taste you mentioned.
>It should taste slightly sweet and melt in your mouth. Ask your
>itamae what his impressions are - that is if your itamae is
>knoweleageable. Like many things it may be that batch only. I'm not
>a big beef eater although I like it, but once in a while I get beef
>that has very unpleasant taste to me and cannot eat it. Same goes
>goes for many items even vegetables and fruits.

Ok, maybe this was an old batch of Uni. I'll try it again at another
place and see if it's different. With veggies and fruits, there are so
many variables involved in growing them that the taste can vary
widely. Even the weather can affect the taste. Tomato's that have been
grown in very hot weather can be remarkably different than a cool
weather tomato. You're right. There are many examples.
Questions

On Sun, 01 May 2005 07:25:28 GMT, Faites frire Le Cuisinier
> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:07:02 -0400, Questions > wrote:
>
>>I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
>>really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
>>and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>>
>>Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

>No, but perhaps you were sucking on the bar rag. Were you borracho?

A comedian. No, I wasn't drunk. How nice of you to suggest it.

Questions

On Sun, 01 May 2005 07:25:28 GMT, Faites frire Le Cuisinier
> wrote:

>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:07:02 -0400, Questions > wrote:
>
>>I tried Uni for the first time last night at a new place. I didn't
>>really care for the flavor. The flavor was a little too loud for me
>>and I got an unpleasant sharp after taste in the back of my tongue.
>>
>>Did I perhaps have some that was too old?

>No, but perhaps you were sucking on the bar rag. Were you borracho?

A comedian. No, I wasn't drunk. How nice of you to suggest it.
v. stafford

When uni is fresh, it tastes like a sweet custard with no sharp or
unpleasant aftertaste. When it is even slightly old, it starts tasting
nasty. I judge the quality of a sushi bar by the quality of its uni. A top
of the line sushi bar will never serve uni that has started to turn.

"Questions" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:25:52 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
>>Questions wrote:
>>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0400, Dan Logcher

>>> Yes, it was. Man, I thought by eating sushi I was getting away from
>>> the chemicals.

>>Ya never know where in the supply chain they add it, but for uni it is
>>probably during processing. I bought some cryovac tuna from the super
>>market a while back, threw them in the freezer and forgot `em. I took
>>one out not long ago to give it a try and noted its the CO treated
>>tuna steaks from Southeast Asia.

> I guess I'll try it at another place before I draw any conclusions.
> There seems to be no way to get away from additives.

v. stafford

"Questions" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:25:52 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
>>Questions wrote:
>>> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:38:35 -0400, Dan Logcher

>>> Yes, it was. Man, I thought by eating sushi I was getting away from
>>> the chemicals.

>>Ya never know where in the supply chain they add it, but for uni it is
>>probably during processing. I bought some cryovac tuna from the super
>>market a while back, threw them in the freezer and forgot `em. I took
>>one out not long ago to give it a try and noted its the CO treated
>>tuna steaks from Southeast Asia.

> I guess I'll try it at another place before I draw any conclusions.
> There seems to be no way to get away from additives.

Musashi

"v. stafford" > wrote in message
. ..
> When uni is fresh, it tastes like a sweet custard with no sharp or
> unpleasant aftertaste. When it is even slightly old, it starts tasting
> nasty. I judge the quality of a sushi bar by the quality of its uni. A

top
> of the line sushi bar will never serve uni that has started to turn.

True.
Or any neta for that matter. I have become use to orderding something
specific and the
Itamae telling me "I don't recommend that today".

Musashi

"v. stafford" > wrote in message
. ..
> When uni is fresh, it tastes like a sweet custard with no sharp or
> unpleasant aftertaste. When it is even slightly old, it starts tasting
> nasty. I judge the quality of a sushi bar by the quality of its uni. A

top
> of the line sushi bar will never serve uni that has started to turn.

True.
Or any neta for that matter. I have become use to orderding something
specific and the
Itamae telling me "I don't recommend that today".

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > "v. stafford" > wrote in message
> > . ..
> >
> >>When uni is fresh, it tastes like a sweet custard with no sharp or
> >>unpleasant aftertaste. When it is even slightly old, it starts tasting
> >>nasty. I judge the quality of a sushi bar by the quality of its uni. A
> >>top of the line sushi bar will never serve uni that has started to turn.

> > True.
> > Or any neta for that matter. I have become use to orderding something
> > specific and the Itamae telling me "I don't recommend that today".

> Uni is really the only neta that stinks if not 100% fresh.
> At lesser sushi bars I've had other neta that I can tell is a bit
> on the old side.. but it didn't ruin my meal. Bad uni, that ruins
> the meal.
>
> The place I frequent always has fresh items, but I always ask about uni.
>
> --
> Dan

True, Uni really has to be fresh or it can result in anything from a bad
taste to
involuntary gagging. But I have also encountered not-so-fresh Ika, and my
first real not-so-fresh
experience..Mirugai sometime in the mid-80s that kept me off orderding
Mirugai for nearly a decade.
No joke.
As to level of "stink when not fresh" uni probably tops the list, but any of
the shellfish are also
contenders.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> True, Uni really has to be fresh or it can result in anything from a bad
> taste to involuntary gagging. But I have also encountered not-so-fresh Ika,
> and my first real not-so-fresh experience..Mirugai sometime in the mid-80s
> that kept me off orderding Mirugai for nearly a decade.

I've never had the gag-bad uni, but it was pretty close.
I remember drinking tea, water, and beer to clear the bad taste.

> As to level of "stink when not fresh" uni probably tops the list, but any of
> the shellfish are also contenders.

I'm not a big fan of many of the clams, especially if they normally have
the fish taste. Raw cherry stones are a good example, mirugai is another.

--
Dan