surf vixen

Default sushi portions

i've heard that japanese people only eat in portions of two because of the
meaning of 1 and 3 in japanese.
they mean to kill and to be killed....i'm not sure which one means which....
can someone clarify this for me?

Ken Blake

In ,
Dan Logcher > typed:

> surf vixen wrote:
>
>> i've heard that japanese people only eat in portions of two
>> because
>> of the meaning of 1 and 3 in japanese.
>> they mean to kill and to be killed....i'm not sure which one
>> means
>> which.... can someone clarify this for me?

> Not sure thats true since sashimi usually comes in 3's.
> The number 4 is unlucky for Chinese since it sounds like
> the word for death.

I thought that was Japanese, not Chinese.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

surf vixen

thank you!! that's wonderful info...you've helped

"Musashi" > wrote in message
. com...

> "surf vixen" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> i've heard that japanese people only eat in portions of two because of
>> the
>> meaning of 1 and 3 in japanese.
>> they mean to kill and to be killed....i'm not sure which one means

> which....
>> can someone clarify this for me?
>>

> Never heard of this and sounds very dubious.
> The number 4 "shi" sounds like "death" and the number 9 "ku" sounds like
> "suffering" or "worry". But I've never heard anything as regards the
> numbers
> 1and 3.
> Here is an English site on Japanese numbers and superstitions. You'll note
> that there
> is nothing as regards 1 and 3.
> http://mothra.rerf.or.jp/ENG/Hiroshima/Things/68.html
> The practice of serving sushi in two pieces ( ni kan/2 kan) comes from the
> original
> edomae-zushi of the 1800's, the ancestor of today's nigirizushi.
> Originally, nigirizushi was one large piece, a square. Because it was
> sometimes
> difficult to eat, some people began cutting it down the center into 2
> pieces.
> The custom of serving sushi today in a set of two comes from this
> practice.

surf vixen

thank you!! that's wonderful info...you've helped

. com...

"Musashi" > wrote:
> "surf vixen" > wrote in message
>
> > i've heard that japanese people only eat in portions of two because of
> > the meaning of 1 and 3 in japanese.
> > they mean to kill and to be killed....i'm not sure which one means

> which....
> > can someone clarify this for me?
> >

> Never heard of this and sounds very dubious.
> The number 4 "shi" sounds like "death" and the number 9 "ku" sounds like
> "suffering" or "worry".[]

That's why, if I go to a sushi bar with a party of four, I was taught to
say, "Yon jin", not, "Shi jin". I've never gone with a party of nine, or
I'd 'worry' about the bill!

--
Nick. To send your support to Any of Our Troops in Harm's Way, go to:
http://anysoldier.com/

Can Altinbay

> wrote in message
>
> That's why, if I go to a sushi bar with a party of four, I was taught to
> say, "Yon jin", not, "Shi jin". I've never gone with a party of nine, or
> I'd 'worry' about the bill!
>
> --

You were not properly mentored. Both of those are incorrect Japanese. You
should say "yonin".
And with a party of nine, "kyuunin", you need not worry about feeling pain.
Who is Bill? :-)

"Can Altinbay" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
> >
> > That's why, if I go to a sushi bar with a party of four, I was taught
> > to say, "Yon jin", not, "Shi jin". I've never gone with a party of
> > nine, or I'd 'worry' about the bill!
> >

> You were not properly mentored. Both of those are incorrect Japanese.
> You should say "yonin".
> And with a party of nine, "kyuunin", you need not worry about feeling
> pain. Who is Bill? :-)

LMAO Thanks, CA. The bill is on the duck!

--
Nick. To send your support to Any of Our Troops in Harm's Way, go to:
http://anysoldier.com/

Steve Sundberg

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:57 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>I thought that was Japanese, not Chinese.

Not sure how "4" is pronounced in Chinese (Mandarin? Cantonese?
Hokkien?) but one of its Japanese pronunciations is "shi" which can
also mean "death".

Dan Logcher

Steve Sundberg wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:57 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>

>>I thought that was Japanese, not Chinese.

> Not sure how "4" is pronounced in Chinese (Mandarin? Cantonese?
> Hokkien?) but one of its Japanese pronunciations is "shi" which can
> also mean "death".

My wife's family speaks Toisanese, and the number 4 is pronounced "say".

--
Dan

Geoff

Steve Sundberg wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:57 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>

>>I thought that was Japanese, not Chinese.

> Not sure how "4" is pronounced in Chinese (Mandarin? Cantonese?
> Hokkien?) but one of its Japanese pronunciations is "shi" which can
> also mean "death".

$ and death are Mandarin si (sounds lke "ssz"), Cantonese sounds like
"say" - from Medeival Chinese (ca 600AD) siei.
Geoff

Geoff wrote:
> Steve Sundberg wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:08:57 -0700, "Ken Blake"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I thought that was Japanese, not Chinese.

>> Not sure how "4" is pronounced in Chinese (Mandarin? Cantonese?
>> Hokkien?) but one of its Japanese pronunciations is "shi" which can
>> also mean "death".
>>

> $ and death are Mandarin si (sounds lke "ssz"), Cantonese sounds like
> "say" - from Medeival Chinese (ca 600AD) siei.

In my post, $ should be 4 - hit shift key by accident.