James

Default Chinese buffets and sushi

I wonder how things are now compared to 2002 discussion on this topic.

In general I haven't found any Chinese buffets with good enough sushi
that I would go out of my way to eat. On the other hand, a single
person usually do better at a buffet than ordering alacarte.
Dan Logcher

James wrote:
> I wonder how things are now compared to 2002 discussion on this topic.
>
> In general I haven't found any Chinese buffets with good enough sushi
> that I would go out of my way to eat. On the other hand, a single
> person usually do better at a buffet than ordering alacarte.

Still the same.. buffet sushi is so-so. If you feel like eating alot
for cheap, then it works. We go to Minado from time to time, but all of
our other sushi meals are at sushi bars.

--
Dan
Art

>Still the same.. buffet sushi is so-so. If you feel like eating alot
>for cheap, then it works. We go to Minado from time to time, but all of
>our other sushi meals are at sushi bars.

Haven't been to Minado yet.. but I went to a local buffet place.. with a small
sushi bar. All of the pre-made stuff was makis.. mostly CA rolls and variations
of same (though I did like the CA roll topped with raw salmon). I did order a
couple of saba nigiris (included in the price of the buffet), and
unfortunately, while well-formed and shaped, the saba was about as good as I'd
expected.. that is, overly-marinated (having that pickled herring taste..
bleah). I've yet to eat good sushi in NJ, though I'm sure I'll be doing it
soon.
James Silverton

"Art" > wrote in message
> >Still the same.. buffet sushi is so-so. If you feel like eating
> >alot
>>for cheap, then it works. We go to Minado from time to time, but
>>all of
>>our other sushi meals are at sushi bars.

> Haven't been to Minado yet.. but I went to a local buffet place..
> with a small
> sushi bar. All of the pre-made stuff was makis.. mostly CA rolls and
> variations
> of same (though I did like the CA roll topped with raw salmon). I
> did order a
> couple of saba nigiris (included in the price of the buffet), and
> unfortunately, while well-formed and shaped, the saba was about as
> good as I'd
> expected.. that is, overly-marinated (having that pickled herring
> taste..
> bleah). I've yet to eat good sushi in NJ, though I'm sure I'll be
> doing it
> soon.

There is an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet that I sometimes go to for
lunch and the food is quite decent, especially their dim sum type
offerings, but suffers from the almost inevitable deterioration of the
buffet system. I tried their sushi counter, again all you can eat, and
the chef seemed quite expert and the food looked attractive but the
quality of the fish was way below what I consider acceptable.
Admittedly, that this did not seem to be the opinion of other
customers. I have found that lower quality materials are pretty
typical of such sushi buffets. I guess the owners cannot afford to
provide sushi-quality fish at the prices they charge and most
customers don't seem to care.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Dan Logcher

Art wrote:
>>Still the same.. buffet sushi is so-so. If you feel like eating alot
>>for cheap, then it works. We go to Minado from time to time, but all of
>>our other sushi meals are at sushi bars.

> Haven't been to Minado yet.. but I went to a local buffet place.. with a small
> sushi bar. All of the pre-made stuff was makis.. mostly CA rolls and variations
> of same (though I did like the CA roll topped with raw salmon). I did order a
> couple of saba nigiris (included in the price of the buffet), and
> unfortunately, while well-formed and shaped, the saba was about as good as I'd
> expected.. that is, overly-marinated (having that pickled herring taste..
> bleah). I've yet to eat good sushi in NJ, though I'm sure I'll be doing it
> soon.

Well you'll just have to come back to Boston for sushi then.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher