Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default What is the Japanese name for escolar?

I'd heard it was "abura bouzu" but when I search for that, it comes up as "skilfish." Does anyone know the actual Japanese word for escolar?
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Shiro Otaku
> wrote:

>I'd heard it was "abura bouzu" but when I search for that, it comes up as "skilfish." Does anyone know the actual Japanese word for escolar?

According to
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashim...i-terminology/ it is

Abura Bouzu – (ah-boo-rah boh-zoo) or Abura Sokomutsu (ah-boo-rah
soh-koh-moo-tsoo) – This is Escolar (Oilfish) and sometimes called
Shiro Maguro, although it is not tuna and should not be confused with
that fish.

Also see http://www.alighaemi.com/wp/?p=1060

Looking up skilfish, I see that it's a different species from escolar.
I wonder whether it's just a typo for oilfish.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 5/30/2017 7:48 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Shiro Otaku
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd heard it was "abura bouzu" but when I search for that, it comes up as "skilfish." Does anyone know the actual Japanese word for escolar?

> According to
> http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashim...i-terminology/ it is
>
> Abura Bouzu €“ (ah-boo-rah boh-zoo) or Abura Sokomutsu (ah-boo-rah
> soh-koh-moo-tsoo) €“ This is Escolar (Oilfish) and sometimes called
> Shiro Maguro, although it is not tuna and should not be confused with
> that fish.

I've heard it called mutsu.. Shiro Maguro refers to albacore tuna.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Wed, 31 May 2017 18:18:25 -0400, Dan Logcher
> wrote:

>On 5/30/2017 7:48 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Shiro Otaku
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I'd heard it was "abura bouzu" but when I search for that, it comes up as "skilfish." Does anyone know the actual Japanese word for escolar?

>> According to
>> http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashim...i-terminology/ it is
>>
>> Abura Bouzu – (ah-boo-rah boh-zoo) or Abura Sokomutsu (ah-boo-rah
>> soh-koh-moo-tsoo) – This is Escolar (Oilfish) and sometimes called
>> Shiro Maguro, although it is not tuna and should not be confused with
>> that fish.

>I've heard it called mutsu.. Shiro Maguro refers to albacore tuna.

Yes, usually. It literally mean "white tuna," even though there is no
white tuna.

The only fish called mutsu in Japanese that I can find is bluefish.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutsu
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 5/31/2017 8:03 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2017 18:18:25 -0400, Dan Logcher
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/30/2017 7:48 PM, Ken Blake wrote:
>>> On Tue, 30 May 2017 13:38:04 -0700 (PDT), Shiro Otaku

>>> According to
>>> http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashim...i-terminology/ it is
>>>
>>> Abura Bouzu €“ (ah-boo-rah boh-zoo) or Abura Sokomutsu (ah-boo-rah
>>> soh-koh-moo-tsoo) €“ This is Escolar (Oilfish) and sometimes called
>>> Shiro Maguro, although it is not tuna and should not be confused with
>>> that fish.

>> I've heard it called mutsu.. Shiro Maguro refers to albacore tuna.

> Yes, usually. It literally mean "white tuna," even though there is no
> white tuna.
>
> The only fish called mutsu in Japanese that I can find is bluefish.
> See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutsu

Yeah, there's no real name for it seems..

--
Dan

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 1:38:05 PM UTC-7, Shiro Otaku wrote:
> I'd heard it was "abura bouzu" but when I search for that, it comes up as "skilfish." Does anyone know the actual Japanese word for escolar?

There is an official NAME for escolar. "ABURA SOKOMUTSU" = it means oily living in the bottom of ocean Mutsu fish. This is an official name. Definitely not Abura Bouzu. Abura bouzu is different fish and I tasted them in Hokkaido. It is great but Escolar definitely outkilled in every way for taste..

Escolar Mark Thorson General Cooking 23 03-06-2010 04:36 AM
Escolar James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 106 11-05-2010 08:52 PM
Escolar James Silverton[_4_] Sushi 68 29-04-2010 04:44 PM
White Tuna (Escolar) Norman Leonski Sushi 46 05-05-2006 08:03 PM
White tuna or escolar Dan Logcher Sushi 9 18-03-2005 11:22 PM